Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Darc19 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that he has nothing to do with any of the facilities that have caused this lock down.

The rules clearly state anything and everything has to be the fault of at least one of; Larry Goodman, Dennis O'Brien, Bill Gates or George Soros

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Is that a photo of a 1940`s concentration camp? if it is it`s absolutely disgraceful that you should even try to make a comparison between that and the situation in the midland counties.

Ah don't be so sensitive, if you don't find it funny just refrain from laughing.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    County lines allow no buffer for people in unaffected areas like Maynooth, Celbridge and Leixlip from Timahoe.

Why are people in those towns with no problems being left exposed to people from where the outbreak is?

They're not. There are restrictions (hence the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Is that a photo of a 1940`s concentration camp? if it is it`s absolutely disgraceful that you should even try to make a comparison between that and the situation in the midland counties. You should hang your head in shame.

I'm pretty sure those are actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What’ll they do if this lockdown doesn’t work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Whose accounts? Where?

At the least all these clusters in meat factories since the start of the pandemic right up to yesterday's indicate that whatever measures have been taken were inadequate.

We also have these accounts, granted almost three months old by now, that there were no measures and staff had to pay for their own PPE: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/14/everyones-on-top-of-you-sneezing-and-coughing-life-inside-irelands-meat-plants-covid-19

It’s been recommended by the government (https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/employersemployeesguidance/Interim%20Guidance%20COVID-19%20Meat%20Factories.pdf) that, for example, screens be erected between employees and people on here have confirmed that happened in some or all of the plants.

It seems that the measures weren’t effective and I’m not arguing that point. It’s the cartoonish supervillain portrayal of the owners that I think is unhelpful.

Goodman is a big operation. His company makes about 2%-3% net profit.
    ...and yet he has a net worth of about 2.5 billion. You should learn that many companies decide via various legal means how much profit they declare and their corporation tax payments are based on their declared profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

hmmm wrote: »
    What are they looking for - parishes?

Counties make sense. Everyone knows what a county is and where the border is.

This is about risk reduction, not perfectly targeting exactly where the virus is.

Enfield in Meath is 12km from one of these clusters.No lockdown
    Maynooth is 20km away. In lockdown.
    I'd say by most peoples probabilities, enfield for example is in bigger danger.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Is that a photo of a 1940`s concentration camp? if it is it`s absolutely disgraceful that you should even try to make a comparison between that and the situation in the midland counties. You should hang your head in shame.

It's been removed. it was from a film.

Funny thing is that he has nothing to do with any of the facilities that have caused this lock down.

But some people get their views from rag tabloids and mimic fools such as Paul Murphy and his type and anyone earning decent money is not tolerated despite Murphy coming from a well off background and fee paying education.

Goodman is a big operation. His company makes about 2%-3% net profit.

Compare that to the profits of Apple, or penny's, or tk maxx and its miniscule, but because his operation is huge, it's a large amount in physical cash.

Still miniscule in comparison to some others.

Is that true that Goodman hasn’t been linked? Jesus wept. Seen his name peddled around here as if he was shipping COVID ridden Eastern Europeans in from Texas to work for a handful of rice a day, chained to their work station and co-workers under perpetual threat of 20 lashes if they didn’t all while he twiddled his moustache and counted his €100 notes.

The debate on social media is poisonous.

• Advertisement

image.jpg
    move along. nothing to see here. there is not and has never been an incestuous relationship between the Meat Processors and Government.

move along. nothing to see here. there is not and has never been an incestuous relationship between the Meat Processors and Government.
    Graham wrote: »
    The rules clearly state anything and everything has to be the fault of at least one of; Larry Goodman, Dennis O'Brien, Bill Gates or George Soros

And Haughey, apologies I almost forgot

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

If you look at the border between Offaly and WestMeath it runs down the middle of the road in places.

It runs through the bar in Horseleap.

And Haughey, apologies I almost forgot

:rolleyes:

You'd excuse anything it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Absolute bollix, 48% of the cases are in Dublin, why aren't they locked down??

As a percentage of population, the amout of cases in Kildare, Laois and Offaly is massive compared to Dublin and its population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What role do supermarkets have in setting the price.
    I'm just thinking Germany had a similar issue with the processors.
    They have same supermarkets. Lidl and Aldi like.

Who bares more responsibility for this drive to the bottom?

I know the dairy farmers are broken by the supermarkets.

You'd excuse anything it appears.

Excuse what exactly.

Some connection you're come up with between Haughey, Coronavirus and an unrelated meat processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It runs through the bar in Horseleap.

You know in a perfect world, with time for lots of planning, the authorities could consult geographical information systems, modeling, etc to map out a perfect lockdown zone. But they don't have time for that, they have to react quickly so the solution will not be perfect.

There will always be a few anomalies when reacting on the fly. Better this than complete inaction while a committee is setup to arrange public consultations and various proposals are mulled over for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Saw Garda tweeting about their checkpoint in Tullamore, are people not allowed to travel around their county now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Is that true that Goodman hasn’t been linked? Jesus wept. Seen his name peddled around here as if he was shipping COVID ridden Eastern Europeans in from Texas to work for a handful of rice a day, chained to their work station and co-workers under perpetual threat of 20 lashes if they didn’t all while he twiddled his moustache and counted his €100 notes.

The debate on social media is poisonous.

Didn’t take you long to add your own hyperbole. It’s easy to get sucked in isn’t it!

• Advertisement

Excuse what exactly.

Some connection you're come up with between Haughey, Coronavirus and an unrelated meat processor?

Yeah, Larry Goodman's company willingly voluntarily improved conditions and didn't endanger workers.

https://louthnow.ie/2020/03/25/abp-respond-to-80-worker-walkout-over-covid-19-fears/

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/health/coronavirus-covid19/2020/06/26/covid-19-cases-confirmed-at-county-meat-firm/

Kildare Laois Offally != Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

MadYaker wrote: »
    What’ll they do if this lockdown doesn’t work?

More lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Who bares more responsibility for this drive to the bottom?

This is hard to bare. Happens far too often and makes me want to bear my soul. Bare with me now, well...unless you bearly care!

In this once off I forgive you caveat emptor, as the bottom at the end of the sentence obviously distracted you. :)

Rock77 wrote: »
    Didn’t take you long to add your own hyperbole. It’s easy to get sucked in isn’t it!

Bit of a difference between passing nonsense off as fact and exaggerating for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They're not. There are restrictions (hence the thread).

There are no restrictions preventing people from infected areas of Kildare travelling to non-infected areas of Kildare.

Well done to all those who are responsible for public health, but refuse to protect the health of the public while proclaiming to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Bit of a difference between passing nonsense off as fact and exaggerating for effect.

Agreed, just funny how you complained about the hyperbole quite often before all of a sudden coming out with a splurge of it in one post!

Anyway I see your point..

Rock77 wrote: »
    Agreed, just funny how you complained about the hyperbole quite often before all of a sudden coming out with a splurge of it in one post!

Anyway I see your point..

Haha fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This might sound a bit outlandish but should Brady’s ham be now pulled from shelves or even boycotted?

Bradys Family Ham released a FAQ on Covid. But the answer below is a non-answer only going as far to say that the FSAI say there have been no reported cases of Covid linked to contamination of food
    Am I at risk of contracting Covid-19 by handling your product?
    All our products are produced to the highest standards following Food Safety Authority of Ireland guidelines. The FSAI reports that no reported cases of Covid-19 have been linked to contamination of food.
    Since the first cases of Covid-19 were identified in Ireland last February, we have operated with an abundance of caution and a rigorous and comprehensive health and safety policy has been implemented. Public health advice to all consumers is to maintain good health and safety practices, to regularly wash hands and follow the official guidance.
    https://www.bradyfamily.ie/covid-19-faq/

Even if there have been no reported cases I think their products should be taken off the supermarket shelves as a precaution. 80 people in their factory tested positive for the virus and the very products those employees produced are sitting on supermarket shelves nationwide right now. Even if the risk is tiny they still shouldnt be taking it just to keep selling their ham, its not worth it IMO.

Advertisement