Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There are no restrictions preventing people from infected areas of Kildare travelling to non-infected areas of Kildare.

Well done to all those who are responsible for public health, but refuse to protect the health of the public while proclaiming to do so.

Maybe sometimes people need to behave responsibly

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

statesaver wrote: »

Part of the original announcement that racing would continue behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

More lockdown.

Indeed. As evidenced by the last “all in it together” one they don’t work. But let’s keep repeating it in the off chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Is the ham even held in quarantine for a few days before it goes to the shops? Ham lasts weeks unopened before it goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe sometimes people need to behave responsibly

Of course they do.

But it seems our government can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Is the ham even held in quarantine for a few days before it goes to the shops? Ham lasts weeks unopened before it goes off.

Hasn’t the whole surface transmission theory been debunked? Heard on radio last week virus only survives on a surface for 5 minutes. So could the meat not be sold anyway.

All of tHat was more of a question to anyone here that knows for certain than a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I quarantine all my ham

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What role do supermarkets have in setting the price.
    I'm just thinking Germany had a similar issue with the processors.
    They have same supermarkets. Lidl and Aldi like.

Who bares more responsibility for this drive to the bottom?

I know the dairy farmers are broken by the supermarkets.

Consumers. You, me and all the social media warriors and barstool experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

MadYaker wrote: »
    I quarantine all my ham

Amazing thread, isn't it. Plenty of great ideas here. I'm after kicking my ham out the door, better to find new safe home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

jrosen wrote: »
    Some people also dont have the luxury of paid sick leave.

So that excuses them going to work and risking spreading an infectious disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

mossie wrote: »

Well obviously company is a problem there..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Feel so sorry for the small businesses there, they're going to be fuming at the meat factories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

DeanAustin wrote: »
    By all accounts, there have been extensive measures implemented in meat factories. Stop polluting the discussion with supposition and hyperbole.

The employees were still afraid to call into work sick though if they had symptoms. Probably afraid they’d lose out on their already low pay if they didn’t go into work. That’s the employers fault.

We need people to be confident that they’re not going to be hit in their pockets if they come down sick with this and that will be achieved if employers are forced to pay a few days sick leave to people while they await a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I wouldn’t say excuse them, but say you’ve a family to provide for and a mortgage to pay. What do you do? Let yourself fall into arrears, potentially lose your job, be unable to provide for your family, under immense stress yourself and put pressure on your own mental health, those closest to you and pressure those relationships....all for the sake of putting someone you’ve never met potentially at risk?

Some people can afford to do the right thing during all this. Some people really can’t for reasons that I’ve listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Saw Garda tweeting about their checkpoint in Tullamore, are people not allowed to travel around their county now?

Probably a very proactive well known garda (names won't be mentioned), all excited at the prospect of catching people out. Whatever about Borders, setting up in the middle of tullamore is odd, nearest border is quite a distance. Although of course they are entitled to set up anywhere, doesn't make it more palatable for residents who are fuming, I'm not one but live in next county and was doing my shopping in tullamore until this was announced, apparently that's not on the things we can do, stop in counties locked down, despite being 1km form the border.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Amazing thread, isn't it. Plenty of great ideas here. I'm after kicking my ham out the door, better to find new safe home :D

Im putting on my hazmatt suit and will tackle the ham in the fridge with a bottle of bleach. There will be no virus on it after that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

VinLieger wrote: »
    Tbh if it was my sister id report her, but im a harsh prick

Report her to who?

Graham wrote: »
    Excuse what exactly.

Some connection you're come up with between Haughey, Coronavirus and an unrelated meat processor?

Prefer Enda instead?
    Screen-Shot-2013-01-17-at-10.16.08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

I wouldn’t say excuse them, but say you’ve a family to provide for and a mortgage to pay. What do you do? Let yourself fall into arrears, potentially lose your job, be unable to provide for your family, under immense stress yourself and put pressure on your own mental health, those closest to you and pressure those relationships....all for the sake of putting someone you’ve never met potentially at risk?

Some people can afford to do the right thing during all this. Some people really can’t for reasons that I’ve listed above.

None of those reasons are justification for going to work, potentially spreading a highly contagious illness and maybe contributing to the deaths of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The employees were still afraid to call into work sick though if they had symptoms. Probably afraid they’d lose out on their already low pay if they didn’t go into work. That’s the employers fault.

We need people to be confident that they’re not going to be hit in their pockets if they come down sick with this and that will be achieved if employers are forced to pay a few days sick leave to people while they await a test.

This excuse about sick pay is bollix, if you have an infectious disease then you cannot go out spreading it even if you will lose money. How many people in these 3 counties will lose money because of the lockdown these people have caused?

None of those reasons are justification for going to work, potentially spreading a highly contagious illness and maybe contributing to the deaths of people.

No onus on the company to make sure the employee feels secure enough to be able to take time off if they have symptoms of Covid? They should just not go to work and risk losing out on their already crap pay?

The company is to blame, not the employee just trying to make a living. The millionaires running these meat factories must be sitting at home laughing at the fact that we'll turn on each other quicker than we'll turn on the greedy people who actually caused the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You’re right but I can understand how someone might do it. Under pressure financially, the symptoms are either just a little sniffle or nothing at all.

I’m very fortunate I have good working conditions, am relatively well paid and get sick leave. It’s hard for me to be judge and jury on someone in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

This excuse about sick pay is bollix, if you have an infectious disease then you cannot go out spreading it even if you will lose money. How many people in these 3 counties will lose money because of the lockdown these people have caused?

How do you know that these people, or the majority of them, weren’t asymptomatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

The Heritage.
    My question stands.
    Will Hotels and BnBs turf out customers tonight?

Bridge House in tullamore has cancelled all bookings and closed up today anyway.

You probably get paid enough to afford a few unpaid sick days. The people working in the meat factories do not. Companies caused this, not the poor feckers trying to make a bit of money to survive.

I'm seeing it in my own sector too. My company is bringing loads of office workers back to work despite the advice from the government still being tp work from home if possible. It's greed. They care about money, not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Easy to pontificate from on high... Some of these lads are one pay check away from not feeding themselves and their family members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

You probably get paid enough to afford a few unpaid sick days. The people working in the meat factories do not. Companies caused this, not the poor feckers trying to make a bit of money to survive.

I'm seeing it in my own sector too. My company is bringing loads of office workers back to work despite the advice from the government still being tp work from home if possible. It's greed. They care about money, not us.

If there's any sickness or cluster in your workplace, take down all details with dates etc and don't be afraid to go down the neglect and compo route. Fcuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Probably a very proactive well known garda (names won't be mentioned), all excited at the prospect of catching people out. Whatever about Borders, setting up in the middle of tullamore is odd, nearest border is quite a distance. Although of course they are entitled to set up anywhere, doesn't make it more palatable for residents who are fuming, I'm not one but live in next county and was doing my shopping in tullamore until this was announced, apparently that's not on the things we can do, stop in counties locked down, despite being 1km form the border.

I might PM you that Garda's name to see of its who I think it might be!

Nearest border from Tullamore is about 6km, I wouldn't call that quite a distance.
    Lots of close contacts to Carrols workers in and around Tullamore looking for testing in the last 24 hrs. Id be giving it a wide berth for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Dempo1 wrote: »

I will PM you that Garda's name to confirm my suspicion as to who it was!

Tullamore is only 6km for the westmeath border as I'm sure you know so no harm in having checks there.
    Lots of casual contacts to Carols employees looking for tests this weekend.
    Id give Tullamore a wide berth for the shopping for a few weeks unfortunately.

Advertisement