Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Have a friend who’s a nurse in Limerick tell me this evening they are hearing Clare could be next for the lockdown. Could be hearsay but said I’d pass it on.

Good man, the spreading of unsubstantiated rumours is always helpful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    You think those factories just service those counties? The knock on impact to both local and international trade would be huge! Restaurants, butchers and takeaways will soon run out of the food and we wont have exports....

Two weeks closure won't lead to food shortages, plenty of stuff will keep us going other than meat and I'm no veggie either.

It is just the insulting way that other businesses in LOK have been told to shut up shop, but not the meat factories that are obviously the source of this breakout. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Benimar wrote: »
    As long as there wasn’t more than 15 people there, they are complying with the guidance.

Looked to be around 10 there. The bridge house could easily have accommodated 30 or 40 on the balcony. Probably not worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Two weeks closure won't lead to food shortages, plenty of stuff will keep us going other than meat and I'm no veggie either.

It is just the insulting way that other businesses in LOK have been told to shut up shop, but not the meat factories that are obviously the source of this breakout. That's all.

Totally get it is tough on other business, no argument there.

You comment that two weeks wont lead to food shortages so you know each factories stock levels yes? You think your steaks are frozen before you are served them so stock levels are all good? So no factories, means no eateries, means no limited take aways, means reduced restaurant menus and less business as a result, means reduced exports, means potential loss of large exporting contracts and ultimately means farmers arent paid but yes you are right.

Totally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Makes no sense that a person can go everywhere in country if working but not if not. Makes no sense. That along with how meat factories can open on Monday. Should all staff not be isolating? So who’s working in them.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they fire all the workers who’ve tested positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

eggy81 wrote: »
    Looked to be around 10 there. The bridge house could easily have accommodated 30 or 40 on the balcony. Probably not worth the cost.

Torn house is Probably doing take away as well, same family has the castle in Tyrrellspass and kept going with takeaways as soon as they were allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Trampas wrote: »
    Makes no sense that a person can go everywhere in country if working but not if not. Makes no sense.

It makes a lot of sense, but crucially you have to give it some thought.

Take a minute and if you can't work it out I'll explain it to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MadYaker wrote: »
    Good man, the spreading of unsubstantiated rumours is always helpful :rolleyes:

There is a mad amount of suspected cases in limerick hospital. While it's unsubstantiated rumours I would not be surprised by a spike in cases in that part of the country.

There is a mad amount of suspected cases in limerick hospital. While it's unsubstantiated rumours I would not be surprised by a spike in cases in that part of the country.

Source for first sentence? Most cases dont make it to hospital so that would be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Not sure how familiar everyone is with Leixlip, but the Dublin Kildare border is on the bridge right in the town. On one side of the bridge on the Dublin side, a restaurant bar is fully open and operational (and rightly so), while literally metres away, their competitors in the same town are closed. Welcome to Ireland. Father Ted politics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Benimar wrote: »
    As long as there wasn’t more than 15 people there, they are complying with the guidance.

You can only do takeaway food and drink if they have also off licence licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

You can only do takeaway food and drink if they have also off licence licence

you can sit 15 people outdoors if they are observing social distancing regs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why would suspected cases be going to hospital rather than for a test and home to self-isolate?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not sure how familiar everyone is with Leixlip, but the Dublin Kildare border is on the bridge right in the town. On one side of the bridge on the Dublin side, a restaurant bar is fully open and operational (and rightly so), while literally metres away, their competitors in the same town are closed. Welcome to Ireland. Father Ted politics!

I suspect that is the case across the world. Well done though on Ireland bashing.

Totally get it is tough on other business, no argument there.

You comment that two weeks wont lead to food shortages so you know each factories stock levels yes? You think your steaks are frozen before you are served them so stock levels are all good? So no factories, means no eateries, means no limited take aways, means reduced restaurant menus and less business as a result, means reduced exports, means potential loss of large exporting contracts and ultimately means farmers arent paid but yes you are right.

Totally

We will cope if it means no more lockdowns. For two weeks, how do you think other businesses would cope? Meat factories are the source of this outbreak, not any other business AFAIS.

Graham wrote: »
    Why would suspected cases be going to hospital rather than for a test and home to self-isolate?

sure where is the fun in that? :)

Chivito550 wrote: »

That is what will happen if you do it by region. I am sure it would be the same in any other country who have regional lockdown and there is a towns close to the borders. Not exactly Father Ted politics.

What else should they have done? A full lockdown? No lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭pgj2015

sure where is the fun in that? :)

I know someone who thought he had it and went to the nearest nursing home to ask of he could get tested there.

I suspect that is the case across the world. Well done though on Ireland bashing.

I said it a bit more convoluted but yes exactly

eggy81 wrote: »
    you can sit 15 people outdoors if they are observing social distancing regs

Oh cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Tandey wrote: »
    Gone for a vegetarian dish for today?

So did I, barbqued sweet corn, baked home grown spuds, 3 salads, with ribs, burgers, sausies, and chicken on the side, it's all we can get in Kildare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Have a friend who’s a nurse in Limerick tell me this evening they are hearing Clare could be next for the lockdown. Could be hearsay but said I’d pass it on.

Nip that in the bud. Hopefully your friend is a better nurse than a provider of reliable news

The daily figures for Clare are in the public domain. There are no issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Anyone able to explain the logic for horse racing still going ahead in The Curragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭juno10353

I am unfamiliar with the meat factory industry, but am I to take it that the majority of employees are living in Direct provision centres. If this is so surely the centres need to be closed, sterilised and overcrowding addressed. Then the factories closed, and sterilised. Those with infection isolated. Just as the building sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That is what will happen if you do it by region. I am sure it would be the same in any other country who have regional lockdown and there is a towns close to the borders. Not exactly Father Ted politics.

What else should they have done? A full lockdown? No lockdown?

Maybe lockdown the urban areas where the clusters are rather than subject towns on the Dublin border to this nonsense, when there are no covid cases in these towns.

Anyone able to explain the logic for horse racing still going ahead in The Curragh?

Same as the meat factories connections I would suspect. Other than that I have no idea, but it is ridiculous. However these people seem to have connections. Wink.

juno10353 wrote: »
    I am unfamiliar with the meat factory industry, but am I to take it that the majority of employees are living in Direct provision centres. If this is so surely the centres need to be closed, sterilised and overcrowding addressed. Then the factories closed, and sterilised. Those with infection isolated. Just as the building sites.

No, the issue is why did Gov allow Asylum seekers to work in the first place. It was probably part of a grand plan anyway.

Not one meat factory has been told to close, work that one out, while other businesses have. I am not one bit impressed have to say, and am very suspicious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Don’t want to upset the sheikhs and the Shahs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No, the issue is why did Gov allow Asylum seekers to work in the first place. It was probably part of a grand plan anyway.

Not one meat factory has been told to close, work that one out, while other businesses have. I am not one bit impressed have to say, and am very suspicious now.

You appear to know a lot about what meat plants have and haven't been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

These are not Asylum seekers. They were once but have been given residency rights and can legally work just like you and me. There is no affordable housing available so they choose to stay in the DP centres. It’s cheap !

Advertisement