Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    No idea what your point is.

It's not a point. It's what I prefer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There is no penal sanction for it. So the legislation is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I wonder if that mean Gardai can still arrest people and take them in for questioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Graham wrote: »
    I wonder if that mean Gardai can still arrest people and take them in for questioning?

Good question.

Hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

I’m not from Kildare, thanks. And yes, she’s not doing anything illegal.

I said ‘us lily whites’ because I’m from Kildare. And yes, she will certainly be doing something illegal.

So who gets to decide how many people from Kildare can go on their hols? How about the elected govt? Good idea? Or should we all just decide what suits ourselves? I’m a very good driver, never had an accident or penalty point, I shouldn’t have to pay insurance so all good if I cancel my policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think it's evident that there'll be serious profiling at checkpoints. The Gardai aren't morons and they can't say they'll be targeting certain people for obvious reasons.

While everyone should adhere to the localised lockdowns & not take the piss, read between the lines & look at the clusters, who they are and how easily they'll be spotted at checkpoints. The obvious ones will be stopped along with the F U-mouth-breather-I-know-my-rights brigade who are just travelling for the sake of it or for stupid reasons and to make it awkward for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not sure how familiar everyone is with Leixlip, but the Dublin Kildare border is on the bridge right in the town. On one side of the bridge on the Dublin side, a restaurant bar is fully open and operational (and rightly so), while literally metres away, their competitors in the same town are closed. Welcome to Ireland. Father Ted politics!

Your obviously not familiar with the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Quackster wrote: »
    Fingers crossed she doesn't make it here (Kerry). We can well do without her and others of the same ilk.
    I just heard of a Kildare family of 4 heading to Kerry, obviously to sabotage the GAA (because Kildare would have been a force the year...:pac: )

But seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Despite the daily obsession with new cases and deaths, we are in a much better place even despite the last week than we were in stage 2 or beforehand.

The source of the clusters here are known. All that really needs to be done is to close those locations immediately and test all employees - and if necessary their families and contacts over the last week or so.
    People should adhere to all of the recommendations; the masks, the hand washing, the distancing, etc. (in that order, I think) BUT THE KNOWN CLUSTERS SHOULD BE DEALT WITH! (as I'm sure you and everybody wants...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

FYI Caoimhe I'm from South South Offaly. 45 miles away from Edenderry for example. And my wife and I had a staycation booked for Waterford/Cork next week and we cancelled at a serious loss of cash.

We also had a holiday booked for Lanzarote for July which we lost a serious wedge on.

Social responsibility and all that.

LOL.

The fact you're virtue-signalling such a stupid decision makes it even funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ill ask this and hopefully not be dragged over the coals (didn't see herself for 3 months and then first week of her holidays do nothing as I have already said)

Heading from Dublin to Killarney tomorrow, is there any recommendations for a breakfast?

Was going Midway moldron but they have confirmed no outside people allowed.
    So from old recommendations MJ Finnegans in Limerick is recommend and waiting to see if Portlaoise Plaza will allow us to sit in and have a coffee and obviously fill up the car

Any other suggestions, like to try and break up the journey down and have breakfast nearish Dublin then coffee etc say near Limerick (stopped in Adare last year) then onto Killarney

Thanks for any recommendations!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

jeffk wrote: »
    Ill ask this and hopefully not be dragged over the coals (didn't see herself for 3 months and then first week of her holidays do nothing as I have already said)

Heading from Dublin to Killarney tomorrow, is there any recommendations for a breakfast?

So from old recommendations MJ Finnegans in Limerick is recommend and waiting to see if Portlaoise Plaza will allow us to sit in and have a coffee and obviously fill up the car

Any other suggestions, like to try and break up the journey down and have breakfast nearish Dublin then coffee etc say near Limerick (stopped in Adare last year) then onto Killarney

Yeah, have a bowl of cereal before you leave. What an idiotic post, unless I'm missing some sarcasm in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bring a picnic , fill a flask with coffee and bring croissants and fruit . Pull in at layby and enjoy a chat

Everyone has to make their own call on this. As I said we've been very responsible to date. If our booking was 3 days earlier we would be there now and cause no risk?

While my initial reaction was “try and stop me” I’ve calmed down enough to realise it wouldn’t be the right thing to do even though I’ve little contact with anyone outside family, and no contact with people in the meat production industry.

I don’t agree with this lockdown- it’s gutless, feeble and pointless. The only way Kildare/Offaly or Laois will cause a National spread of COVID is if those working in the meat processing industries and other clusters identified as having COVID leave their homes- at some point, personal responsibility must play a role here. Stopping 400k people from going about their business is a complete overkill reaction. They could have sealed off individual towns, advised non essential travel to these counties but still allowed responsible people make informed decisions.

As for you going on your staycation, I’ve cancelled mine even though I’ve called Michael Martin every curse word I can think of- don’t expect a warm welcome nest week if people know you’re from Kildare and I can’t say I blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

joeysoap wrote: »
    Your obviously not familiar with the border.

Could you elaborate please?

As far as I understood, the pub he's talking about is situated on the Dublin side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Naos wrote: »
    Could you elaborate please?

As far as I understood, the pub he's talking about is situated on the Dublin side.

As above, please do.
    Salmon Leap and the Springfield Hotel are on Dublin side of Leixlip and can stay open.

Herself and I all set for Kilarney on Monday.

Actually have family members suggesting adding at least a hour on to avoid these counties, long enough spin as it is

Was also set for breakfast in Portlaoise as handy as only a hour from here

To think I didn't see her for 3 months as don't live together and then this when try to go on holidays

Only so much people can give

Seriously is this your effort at sarcasm or are you genuinely upset because you can’t stop in Portlaoise for breakfast?

Seriously is this your effort at sarcasm or are you genuinely upset because you can’t stop in Portlaoise for breakfast?

Why dig up a post from two days ago to react to my post now? :rolleyes:

I was referencing people suggesting not going on the holiday at all, I asked for peoples suggestions, i dont HAVE to stop in Portlaoise

I was referencing people suggesting not going on the holiday at all, I asked for peoples suggestions, i dont HAVE to stop in Portlaoise

Because you refereed to it in your post on the previous page.(........as I’ve already said)

Because you refereed to it in your post on the previous page.(........as I’ve already said)

Seen as you want to drag up old posts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114241558&postcount=39

Seems im doing all you said in that post, but then you come on and have a go :confused:

Hotel in Kilarreny business, two places SOMEWHERE between Dublin and there getting my business, rather than fillup local and straight to hotel

Have to say im confused now, do you or do you not want people " trying to get the economy going."

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

While my initial reaction was “try and stop me” I’ve calmed down enough to realise it wouldn’t be the right thing to do even though I’ve little contact with anyone outside family, and no contact with people in the meat production industry.

I don’t agree with this lockdown- it’s gutless, feeble and pointless. The only way Kildare/Offaly or Laois will cause a National spread of COVID is if those working in the meat processing industries and other clusters identified as having COVID leave their homes- at some point, personal responsibility must play a role here. Stopping 400k people from going about their business is a complete overkill reaction. They could have sealed off individual towns, advised non essential travel to these counties but still allowed responsible people make informed decisions.

As for you going on your staycation, I’ve cancelled mine even though I’ve called Michael Martin every curse word I can think of- don’t expect a warm welcome nest week if people know you’re from Kildare and I can’t say I blame them.

Is the point of this lockdown not to ensure that Covid isn’t already spreading through the community in Kildare, Laois and Offaly? I mean we all know that the factories are riddled with it and likely have been for a few weeks now. People working there have been going about their lives as normal - shopping, eating out, meeting friends etc. It will be 2 weeks before they know what damage has been done to those communities. They want people to stay home to stop it spreading any further and so they can actually assess how far it has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just stop in portlaoise or wherever you want to. Will make absolutely fcuk all difference to anyone or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

ongarite wrote: »
    As above, please do.
    Salmon Leap and the Springfield Hotel are on Dublin side of Leixlip and can stay open.

Interesting. I lived in Leixlip for about 5 years, and while the Salmon Leap is before the bridge I always thought it was technical in Kildare. Just as the Springfield is just inside the Dublin broader

road_high wrote: »
    Just stop in portlaoise or wherever you want to. Will make absolutely fcuk all difference to anyone or anything

I am trying to go by the book, Midway Moldron and Portlaoise Plaza have said no to sitting inside

I thought places outside of the towns would be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

As above, please do.

Dont worry there is plans to blow up the bridge to keep lucan safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

As above, please do.

Assuming they haven't got a Garda checkpoint on the Bridge the Salmon Leap will be doing a roaring trade for the next two weeks

glack wrote: »
    Is the point of this lockdown not to ensure that Covid isn’t already spreading through the community in Kildare, Laois and Offaly? I mean we all know that the factories are riddled with it and likely have been for a few weeks now. People working there have been going about their lives as normal - shopping, eating out, meeting friends etc. It will be 2 weeks before they know what damage has been done to those communities. They want people to stay home to stop it spreading any further and so they can actually assess how far it has gone.

It’s still an overreaction in my view-it’s penalising those who have taken careful measures or who haven’t been subject to poor COVID prevention practices in their workplaces.

For those about to go on a staycation they could have introduced a “test before you leave the county” programme.

Personal responsibility has to come in to play at some point and yes, a Certain level of deaths and infections will have to be accepted - County lockdowns for every spike won’t end well- government needs to be more creative and specific here with their responses. As people move back to commercial buildings were just going to see more of this- what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

I am trying to go by the book, Midway Moldron and Portlaoise Plaza have said no to sitting inside

I thought places outside of the towns would be ok

If you are trying to do things by the book, why would you assume these places won’t do things by the book too?

What difference does being outside of towns make? The restrictions apply to the entire counties.

Benimar wrote: »
    If you are trying to do things by the book, why would you assume these places won’t do things by the book too?

What difference does being outside of towns make? The restrictions apply to the entire counties.

I didnt, thats why ive emailed or facebook message rather than walking to door and puttting a staff member on the spot to relay the message

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

We seem to be paying the price of poor control by some of the meat factories, only a couple of days ago (4th August) there was advertisements looking for workers for brady's ham being branded about for €10.10 ph for students probably to fill the gaps from people being off sick with covid..., no problem bringing people into that environment.... just keep those lines running.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I don’t agree with this lockdown- it’s gutless, feeble and pointless. The only way Kildare/Offaly or Laois will cause a National spread of COVID is if those working in the meat processing industries and other clusters identified as having COVID leave their homes- at some point, personal responsibility must play a role here.
    You know you can spread it before you're identified as having it, right?

Though I will agree it's utterly gutless and feeble if they aren't even forcing the plants in question to close.

Advertisement