Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I understand the reasons for this lockdown but I won’t be adhering to it, not because I think the rules shouldn’t apply to me but because it makes no sense to me. I love 150 metres inside the Laois border. All of my interactions and transactions are in Carlow and always have been. The supermarkets around me are in county Carlow, my golf club is in Carlow, my job is in Carlow, my family and friends are in Carlow. I can’t see how I pose a greater risk of spreading the virus than someone from 150 metres up the road. The village I live in is half in Carlow and half in Laois. I know there can’t be individual rules for every person but surely there needs to be a bit of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Graham wrote: »
    I assume somebody realises we need to try and balance the risks with keeping the economy open.

Be thankful that approach was pretty much universal for the food supply chain recently. The last few months could very easily been a much much more miserable experience

Unless you're talking about the meat processing plants in which case it looks like they will be closed and I'm unfamiliar with the instructions issued to their staff. As I assume you are.

I would never deign to be as haughty as yourself heaven help us!

But No, I don't know what instructions staff have been given, nor does anyone else either, least of all the HSA it seems, and inspections are all pre arranged too. Great.

Anyway, the thrust of my argument is that businesses with no clusters were instructed to close in LOK, but the source of the clusters were not. You might think that's a good thing, but I don't think it was fair at all.

Anyway nice chatting with you, and no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I had a rebooked (from July) staycation booked for next week - now cancelled.

I'm sorry for the kids, and a little for the hotel and restaurants we've had to cancel at short notice.

I've given the kids a wedge to spend online to ease the disappointment. Look out Amazon :)

That's two attempts to book a staycation. I wouldn't be bothered trying again. I think we'd have a better chance booking a foreign holiday next time. With a staycation we're depending on both the home and destination counties not being in lockdown. But we'll see.

Anyways, onwards and upwards. But I've given up sliced meats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I understand the reasons for this lockdown but I won’t be adhering to it, not because I think the rules shouldn’t apply to me but because it makes no sense to me. I love 150 metres inside the Laois border. All of my interactions and transactions are in Carlow and always have been. The supermarkets around me are in county Carlow, my golf club is in Carlow, my job is in Carlow, my family and friends are in Carlow. I can’t see how I pose a greater risk of spreading the virus than someone from 150 metres up the road. The village I live in is half in Carlow and half in Laois. I know there can’t be individual rules for every person but surely there needs to be a bit of sense.

Graiguecullen should be completely administered from Carlow, it makes no sense even in normal times, that your postal service, hospital etc is the same as Portlaoise when you are part of the Carlow town metro area.(I know, 'metro' is a stretch)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Graiguecullen should be completely administered from Carlow, it makes no sense even in normal times, that your postal service, hospital etc is the same as Portlaoise when you are part of the Carlow town metro area.(I know, 'metro' is a stretch)

It belongs to laois.
    Mineral deposits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,214 ✭✭✭pgj2015

tjhook wrote: »
    I had a rebooked (from July) staycation booked for next week - now cancelled.

I'm sorry for the kids, and a little for the hotel and restaurants we've had to cancel at short notice.

I've given the kids a wedge to spend online to ease the disappointment. Look out Amazon :)

That's two attempts to book a staycation. I wouldn't be bothered trying again. I think we'd have a better chance booking a foreign holiday next time. With a staycation we're depending on both the home and destination counties not being in lockdown. But we'll see.

Anyways, onwards and upwards. But I've given up sliced meats!

is it true the hotels aren't refunding people over this? I have heard they don't legally have to for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You have to be realistic about what public health can do in these situations. They can't spend days plotting out every parish in the area and making individual decisions, they have to move fast where a large cluster is identified. We can't afford days of discussion or the inevitable confusion afterwards "well st michael's parish brings in kilmickel, but it also includes o'briens bridge because that's what the school catchment area - but the people in o'briens bridge would always go to st brigids because that's the closest church to their area, and that's not in the lockdown. There's chaos in o'briens bridge tonight I tell you".

This isn't about targeting the virus exactly, the whole point is we don't know where the virus might be. It's about reducing risks.

Counties make sense. Everyone knows what county they are in, and when they ask for increased restrictions on a county then it's clear what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is it true the hotels aren't refunding people over this? I have heard they don't legally have to for some reason.

I heard the same. That if they're open, it's not their problem if or why any particular customer can't make it. But this time around I made sure to book a hotel that had a 48hr cancellation policy, so I didn't lose out financially. They were grand about it. I felt a bit crappy though cancelling two rooms of those nights at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We had a hotel booked up north to visit friends In may and had to cancel or rebook , told us we could rebook once lock down was over so rebooked for next weekend ( booked before current lockdown ) .. rang today they said once hotel was open they couldn’t offer refund but agin have allowed us rebook , but With these localised it going to be a pain knowing when to do that.
    Already lost a large deposit on package holiday this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We had a hotel booked up north to visit friends In may and had to cancel or rebook , told us we could rebook once lock down was over so rebooked for next weekend ( booked before current lockdown ) .. rang today they said once hotel was open they couldn’t offer refund but agin have allowed us rebook , but With these localised it going to be a pain knowing when to do that.
    Already lost a large deposit on package holiday this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Had Rathsallagh house booked sat night. Just outside Kildare so technically they could stay opened. They cancelled my booking and offered a free upgrade if I rebooked after lockdown. No charge at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhe2010

Went to Lucan today no checkpoints either way, later was in Kildare Village Outlet garda at roundabout there asking where you were going and where from saw one D car being told to turn back. Had been worried about the checkpoints bit based on today will be heading off tomorrow as planned for the south west

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhe2010

Went to Lucan today no checkpoints either way, later was in Kildare Village Outlet garda at roundabout there asking where you were going and where from saw one D car being told to turn back. Had been worried about the checkpoints bit based on today will be heading off tomorrow as planned for the south west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

So you visited a shopping mall in Kildare on the day before you take an illegal trip to Kerry to potentially spread a killer virus?

That's dead sound, Caoimhe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

So you visited a shopping mall in Kildare on the day before you take an illegal trip to Kerry to potentially spread a killer virus?

That's dead sound, Caoimhe.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Can boards.ie not cope with Irish people's anger. Perhaps you need more staff. Or just go with RTE and their brainwashing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,214 ✭✭✭pgj2015

tjhook wrote: »
    I heard the same. That if they're open, it's not their problem if or why any particular customer can't make it. But this time around I made sure to book a hotel that had a 48hr cancellation policy, so I didn't lose out financially. They were grand about it. I felt a bit crappy though cancelling two rooms of those nights at short notice.

Not much you could do in fairness. they may fill the rooms anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Here's what has been reported.

Kildare Chilling - cluster was confined to specific section of the factory, which has been closed.

Irish Dog Food - closed two weeks ago

O'Brien Fine Foods - normal operations have been suspended since 4 August

Not quite the "food barons are carrying on without a care" approach that some would have you believe.

Kildare chilling shut completely now, it shows the complete disregard they have for the staff, keeping part of it open when all staff share facilities on site

Kildare chilling shut completely now, it shows the complete disregard they have for the staff, keeping part of it open when all staff share facilities on site

And their products still for sale in the supermarks.
    FSAI should make a public health statement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Scoondal wrote: »
    And their products still for sale in the supermarks.
    FSAI should make a public health statement.

Do the FSAI know something that the WHO don't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Do the FSAI know something that the WHO don't?

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/coronavirus.html#covid

What is the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sorry TA, from the very limited information available I wouldn't like to guess what the staff facilities are, how they're shared, what guidance the company have been given or what action has been taken other than the very limited detail that has been reported by the media.

I know you've already said you have friends/family members working for O'Briens, and Irish dog foods so maybe you've discovered a connection into Kildare Chilling too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

All the Chinese have to do now is post off packets of Brady's Ham to the four green fields of Éireann, and they'll bring this little Yankee satellite trading post to its knees...

We'll have the AGS cybercrew literally sniffing packets...

Exactly. I don't believe there is any risk.

I posted the opinion of the WHO earlier
    Can COVID-19 spread through food?

It is highly unlikely that people can contract COVID-19 from food or food packaging. COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and the primary transmission route is through person-to- person contact and through direct contact with respiratory droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

There is no evidence to date of viruses that cause respiratory illnesses being transmitted via food or food packaging. Coronaviruses cannot multiply in food; they need an animal or human host to multiply.

I am pleased to see the FSAI are of the same mind.

(lucky for me really, the better half has a preference for Brady's ham, I don't think she'd thank me for going all tin-foil-hat about it)

Does the factory supply non branded supemarket generic names to these dodgy products ?

Exactly. I don't believe there is any risk.

I posted the opinion of the WHO earlier

I am pleased to see the FSAI are of the same mind.

(lucky for me really, the better half has a preference for Brady's ham, I don't think she'd thank me for going all tin-foil-hat about it)

What are you rambling on about.
    FSAI have said nothing about this.

• Advertisement

Scoondal wrote: »
    What are you rambling on about.
    FSAI have said nothing about this.

Not entirely sure where the confusion lies.

522591.jpg

Advertisement