Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Scoondal wrote: »
    There is no eveidence ... YET
    Rubbish response.

There is no evidence YET that sudocreme cures cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Rubbish response.

You don't seem to accept any of the answers given, so maybe you could tell us what they should do/say instead? Just to save everyone's time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Graham wrote: »
    Sorry TA, from the very limited information available I wouldn't like to guess what the staff facilities are, how they're shared, what guidance the company have been given or what action has been taken other than the very limited detail that has been reported by the media.

I know you've already said you have friends/family members working for O'Briens, and Irish dog foods so maybe you've discovered a connection into Kildare Chilling too?

Canteen, toilets, locker and changing areas

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Rubbish response.

There is no evidence that Covid-19 doesn't transmit over the Internet, you might want to log off just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was down the country with friends when the restrictions were announced so only got home yesterday - was somewhat surprised that I didn't come across a checkpoint at all. But then with the heat yesterday, and these restrictions being legally unenforceable, I would feel for any Garda standing out on the road in that context.

Besides, we now all MUST wear masks in retail settings from this morning so don't we all feel safer anyway :rolleyes: As with the situation above, just another knee-jerk reaction from a weak Government to a situation that requires a nuanced and targeted approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhe2010

gabeeg wrote: »
    So you visited a shopping mall in Kildare on the day before you take an illegal trip to Kerry to potentially spread a killer virus?

That's dead sound, Caoimhe.

Yes we're allowed travel within our county remember, shops are open, we had masks on the whole time and sanitised in each shop so what's the problem?
    Anyway just packing up now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So you visited a shopping mall in Kildare on the day before you take an illegal trip to Kerry to potentially spread a killer virus?

That's dead sound, Caoimhe.

You just have to be careful, There's lots of people not adhering to guidelines, all you can do is mask up and social distance. Trust no one
    I know lots of people that have traveled the country over the last few weeks, mainly for pleasure so be careful is all you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,721 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

wrangler wrote: »
    You just have to be careful, There's lots of people not adhering to guidelines, all you can do is mask up and social distance. Trust no one
    I know lots of people that have traveled the country over the last few weeks, mainly for pleasure so be careful is all you can do
    When it comes to the kerry part....they could just you know...not go?
    I was meant to be going to Italy but postponed to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

gmisk wrote: »
    When it comes to the kerry part....they could just you know...not go?
    I was meant to be going to Italy but postponed to next year.

Or perhaps not everyone lives in a fear-bubble?

wrangler wrote: »

Agree with this. Take whatever steps you feel necessary to protect yourself.

BUT.. don't live in fear either. The virus is going nowhere and we need to all get used to that and return to some sort of normality regardless. I know people who will barely set foot out the door, so afraid are they of catching it. The constant media reporting and analysis and the obsession with the daily totals isn't helping.

Personally I have never bought into this attitude. Be careful and wash your hands etc - absolutely. But I am not sick, haven't been sick and have been in Dublin, Cork, Kildare, Laois, Offaly in the last few months without any worry or issue. I also live alone and don't go out anywhere beyond the weekly shop during the week anyway as I'm working full time from home since this all started so any risk is minimal.

The reality is that this virus is most dangerous to a demographic I don't fit (as is the case for most people). Even if I do catch it, the likelihood is I won't even know it (I may have had it already or last year) and won't suffer any lasting effects. There is no point in worrying about these things to the point of obsession as some are. I therefore choose to get on with my life without worrying about it beyond the sensible precautions above - to a point.

I'm sure all the usual suspects will be along to tell me I'm worse than Hitler and killing granny :rolleyes: (don't bother guys - I don't need the validation of randomers on the Internet to help me decide what's best for me), but perspective has been lost along the way here, and thinking for yourself is not popular at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The reality is that this virus is most dangerous to a demographic I don't fit (as is the case for most people). Even if I do catch it, the likelihood is I won't even know it (I may have had it already or last year) and won't suffer any lasting effects.
    You tell them Kaiser! Don't let the potential deaths of large numbers of older people, or the risk to ICU staff of all ages, or the potential long-term effects of Covid, stop you from protesting about the impositions being forced on you. Good man yourself, remember it's all about you.

hmmm wrote: »
    You tell them Kaiser! Don't let the potential deaths of large numbers of older people, or the risk to ICU staff of all ages, or the potential long-term effects of Covid, stop you from protesting about the impositions being forced on you. Good man yourself, remember it's all about you.

Ah right on cue! Good morning!

I've helped you out here by highlighting the key words. NONE of what you've posted is a certainty but the way you (and others - and indeed the media) position these things, you'd expect that there were thousands of critically ill and dying in this country.

But... there aren't. 6 months later there's still less than 2k deaths, a handful in ICU and most of those deaths were in a demographic with serious underlying issues to start with.

Those are the facts, not the possibility-presented-as-certainty as in your post.
    I know it doesn't fit with the narrative, but the reality is that if this thing was as virulent and deadly to the majority as you're inferring, the half-hearted measures we're STILL employing (no restrictions on international travel, lots of places where masks aren't needed or being worn etc) would be exposing that.

I presume you never get in a car given the potential of ruining over a pedestrian.

I mean you probably shouldn't even leave the house given the potential of being hit by lightning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I presume you never get in a car given the potential of ruining over a pedestrian.

Are we pretending car crashes are contagious now or did you mean something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Yes we're allowed travel within our county remember, shops are open, we had masks on the whole time and sanitised in each shop so what's the problem?
    Anyway just packing up now

I must have missed when Lucan was moved into Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,721 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Or perhaps not everyone lives in a fear-bubble?
    Fear bubble ffs....is that the best you can come up with...laughable.

I am just on my way back from cork and was in Donegal a few weekends back. The difference is I am happy enough to follow the guidance with regards travel, masks etc. That poster clearly isn't....tbh I hope they get caught and a fine. But hey I doubt it.

Are we pretending car crashes are contagious now or did you mean something else?

Logic-fail.

It matter not a whit whether car-crashes are contagious or not - there is a potential risk of causing injury or death to yourself or others associated with driving - most people accept that the risk is relatively low and take the appropriate precautions.

For some reason this approach is deemed to be not an acceptable way to manage the risk of death or injury from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I mean you probably shouldn't even leave the house given the potential of being hit by lightning.
    When I get into a car I put on a seatbelt.

I also slow down when approaching somewhere like a school, and don't speed past shouting out the window at kids to get out of my way because I'm a very very important person and unlikely to be killed if I run into anyone.

When I get into a car I put on a seatbelt.

I also slow down when approaching somewhere like a school, and don't speed past shouting out the window at kids to get out of my way because I'm a very very important person and unlikely to be killed if I run into anyone.

Good lad.

Sounds like you're managing the risks, not eliminating them.

Try it with your approach to Covid and let us know how that goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is this the level we're pitching discussion at now?

2000 deaths don't matter and coronavirus is a bit like a car crash? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Logic-fail.

It matter not a whit whether car-crashes are contagious or not - there is a potential risk of causing injury or death to yourself or others associated with driving - most people accept that the risk is relatively low and take the appropriate precautions.

For some reason this approach is deemed to be not an acceptable way to manage the risk of death or injury from Covid.

It is 100% not acceptable and a logical fallacy. Multiplicative risks are different to addative. When you crash a car you don't then plough through your mam's house, through a friends bbq and overwhelm the hospital.

I'd say they both leave long term scaring though, that's comparable.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1226808556453797893?s=20

Is this the level we're pitching discussion at now?

2000 deaths don't matter and coronavirus is a bit like a car crash? :rolleyes:

Take the nursing homes, the admitted over-counting and end-of life patients out of the mix and the death-rates are similar enough I'd wager. In fact road fatalities kill younger and healthier people than Covid.

The major difference is you don't have RTE breathlessly reporting on road accident and fatality figures every day.

If they were, most of the hysteria-merchants would never drive anywhere and be campaigning for cars to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Went to Lucan today no checkpoints either way, later was in Kildare Village Outlet garda at roundabout there asking where you were going and where from saw one D car being told to turn back. Had been worried about the checkpoints bit based on today will be heading off tomorrow as planned for the south west

There is no need to come to Lucan, there are shops in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You do not (generally) have truck drivers saying: I am a truck I do not stop at pedestrian crossings as I will not not hurt in any accident and I am in a hurry, if those pedestrians do not want to be hit by a truck then they should stay at home.
    Yet, the same logic is proposed re Covid all the time.

You do not (generally) have truck drivers saying: I am a truck

That's good, because they're not a truck they're a truck-driver. It would be like me saying 'I'm an airplane' on my way back from Spain.

I do not stop at pedestrian crossings as I will not not hurt in any accident and I am in a hurry,

triple negative!

so they do stop because they will hurt someone?

Wait, I'm confused.

if those pedestrians do not want to be hit by a truck then they should stay at home.
    :confused:
    Yet, the same logic is proposed re Covid all the time.

When? Where? What Logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Re flu vs coronavirus comparisons, if 100,000 young people were infected by both, its likely the fatality rate would be similar.

Working aged coronavirus sufferers would have a slightly higher fatality rate - it appears to be 0.1% in this age group based on our 8,000 healthcare workers infected and 8 deaths.

Over 65 is where the problem lies with coronavirus, the fatality rate edges upwards from about 1% to something like 10% in over 90s.

Its important to note the vast majority of elderly will have mild or no symptoms.

We have a very good idea now whose most likely to suffer the worst and targeted isolation and cocooning should be the way to go instead of generalised lockdowns while tolerating some spread among the young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Re flu vs coronavirus comparisons, if 100,000 young people were infected by both, its likely the fatality rate would be similar.

Working aged coronavirus sufferers would have a slightly higher fatality rate - it appears to be 0.1% in this age group based on our 8,000 healthcare workers infected and 8 deaths.

Over 65 is where the problem lies with coronavirus, the fatality rate edges upwards from about 1% to something like 10% in over 90s.

Its important to note the vast majority of elderly will have mild or no symptoms.

We have a very good idea now whose most likely to suffer the worst and targeted isolation and cocooning should be the way to go instead of generalised lockdowns while tolerating some spread among the young.

You're completely ignoring the potential long term consequences of getting covid, and you clearly have zero appreciation of what "mild" means in a medical context.

Ah well. Denial is a hell of a thing to witness. Weird that some of you are too scared to do the required reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

People who called for this tactic from day one were vilified, however, in the absence of a vaccine it will eventually become the only tactic that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

You're completely ignoring the potential long term consequences of getting covid, and you clearly have zero appreciation of what "mild" means in a medical context.

Ah well. Denial is a hell of a thing to witness. Weird that some of you are too scared to do the required reading.

Gabeeg, by this stage literally hundreds of millions of people all over the world have had this disease.

If it's causing serious problems for anything other a tiny fraction of them, it would be very obvious.

It's quite telling that since inflated fatality rates cannot seriously be advanced by alarmists any longer, they have now moved on to far more nebulous 'post-viral fatigue' angle.

Frankly, the explanation for most of these cases is simple. Hypochondria.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    People who called for this tactic from day one were vilified, however, in the absence of a vaccine it will eventually become the only tactic that works.

The Government have pandered to the slow lads in the class at the cost of 10's of billions.

Unfortunately it's not just the slow lads that will have to pay for this mess.

It was clear from the outset what was needed - we just don't have a single politician with the backbone to spell it out to the lockdown-morons.

Advertisement