Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

LuasSimon wrote: »
    They have very little to send home , Larry Goodman and other greedy factory owners make sure of that . We should be ashamed that greedy people like Larry Goodman making huge profits in these factories don’t pay their staff a living wage .

Back in yer box my friend. No one is forced to work in meat factories are they?

They get a living/minimum wage by law too.

Meat factories are not alone in that either, but if people decide to take it up I applaud them, well done, they are not soaking our welfare system are they?

BIG question..... will meat from factories spread Covid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Absolute bollix, 48% of the cases are in Dublin, why aren't they locked down??

Kildare laois and offaly have half the cases in the last two weeks despite having only 8% of the national population.

Dublin have 48% since the beginning on a much bigger proportion of the population.

It's not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

BIG question..... will meat from factories spread Covid.

Well presumably people will cook the meat they buy and heat isn't good for viruses then very doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Yeah ... that’s how the deal works, we need them to work, they think they get a good deal compared to wages in Brazil etc, can you blame them for sending it home(where I am sure they plan to move back to)?

They are not to blame here, the plant owners are, and the government are for not having inspections in businesses like this from the start.
    Sometimes it is the individuals that are to blame, rather than deflecting to the big bad employers or government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Not all stepped forward for testing, so stop the victim rubbish.

Even if that is the case what has that got to do with lax hygiene, lack of distancing at their stations, lack of inspections...

Or are you saying every worker ignored the guidelines and they as workers collectively caught it coincidentally all at meat plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

40 hours minimum wage at ten euro an hour gives you 400 a week . Larry Goodman and his equals take a hundred a week off the poor worker to sleep on one of 4 bunk beds in a room , a few bills , feed themselves and cloth themselves lives very very little ....... meanwhile they factory owner rakes it in .
    The rich get richer , oligarch rich stuff whilst the workers go round hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I used to spend my summers working in meat plants back in the 90s. The pay was better than if you were say working in a shop for the summer. Very hard physical work tho. By rights you would need to take a shower before leaving each day, as it’s such a messy/bloody/fleshy job, but back then anyway there wasn’t shower facilities. Not that showers will stop this virus, just that I can’t imagine it ok now to go home stinking of animal parts but it was ok back then.
    Also back then it was mostly Irish doing the work, there was no big groups of Eastern European’s or Brazilians.

Sometimes it is the individuals that are to blame, rather than deflecting to the big bad employers or government.

Right, in 3 meat plants? What’s the statistical chances that could happen...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

Foreign workers are coming here to provide cheap labour but think that they are entitled to flout the rules of the country they are a guest in?

Is it any wonder why the Brits left the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

So if you live in those counties and you have a holiday booked in Cork, you have to cancel?
    Equally if you live in Cork and have a break booked in Kildare or Laois or Offaly, you have to cancel.
    So now booking a staycation is as risky as booking a trip abroad?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Even if that is the case what has that got to do with lax hygiene, lack of distancing at their stations, lack of inspections...

Or are you saying every worker ignored the guidelines and they as workers collectively caught it coincidentally all at meat plants.

Doesnt need to be every one just a few.
    And how did it get in there?
    Have you got proof of lack of inspection?

The campsite we attend is inspected each week by HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Back in yer box my friend. No one is forced to work in meat factories are they?

They get a living/minimum wage by law too.

Meat factories are not alone in that either, but if people decide to take it up I applaud them, well done, they are not soaking our welfare system are they?

No because they are all from outside Ireland and it’s not that straightforward . Many of these people are fleeing wars in Africa and are afraid they will be deported if they turn down work . Larry Goodman an DV his equals licks his lips at what he can put these poor bustards through for minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Herself and I all set for Kilarney on Monday.

Actually have family members suggesting adding at least a hour on to avoid these counties, long enough spin as it is

Was also set for breakfast in Portlaoise as handy as only a hour from here

To think I didn't see her for 3 months as don't live together and then this when try to go on holidays

Only so much people can give

The meat factories are getting a lot of flack. The workers are getting sick and spreading it around because they are sharing with multiple people. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The meat factories are getting a lot of flack. The workers are getting sick and spreading it around because they are sharing with multiple people. It really is that simple.

But it's not just inside those factories ?

A gas club had to shut down because of it. All of them don't work in a meat factory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I live in Kildare. I have a camping trip to Kerry booked. Was supposed to be going down on Sunday.

I am still going. If I am allowed to continue to travel into work in Dublin City where I work in a public building , it makes no sense that I can not travel to Kerry.

If anything I am less of a risk in my tent in Kerry than I am commuting every day and working with the public.

I hear no mention of these restrictions being mandatory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Cue all the Dubs laughing at KOL. The government should have done it countrywide. We're not a giant country like Australia.

I don’t think anyone is laughing. I live in Dublin and I feel terrible for them, for the business that have to close, the people that can’t see family again. I find it depressing and I don’t live there, so I can imagine how some people feel right now. Nothing funny about it at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So if you live in those counties and you have a holiday booked in Cork, you have to cancel?
    Equally if you live in Cork and have a break booked in Kildare or Laois or Offaly, you have to cancel.
    So now booking a staycation is as risky as booking a trip abroad?

Yes , we have to stay in our own county, not just any of the three.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    No because they are all from outside Ireland and it’s not that straightforward . Many of these people are fleeing wars in Africa and are afraid they will be deported if they turn down work . Larry Goodman an DV his equals licks his lips at what he can put these poor bustards through for minimum wage

Have you any stats for deportation of asylum seekers yourself? I bet it is one per year if that. Once they are in, they are here for life at our expense. Get with the program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I love to know how I can travel to
    Laois on Sunday as I am travelling from green list country ...I cannot travel by public transport and my friend cannot pick us up

Right, in 3 meat plants? What’s the statistical chances that could happen...

If you have workers hiding symptoms with paracetamol, who is to blame then? Because it appears that's happening.

Doesnt need to be every one just a few.
    And how did it get in there?
    Have you got proof of lack of inspection?

The campsite we attend is inspected each week by HSE.

Exactly - you can’t blame the workers here, or at least solely blame them.

Questions that will tell us more:

- Are the workers living in cramped overcrowded houses subsidised by the plant.
    - do they have social distancing in place at their stations.
    - did they take or were they forced to take the required time off work when they had covid symptoms.

Or will we just blame the foreigners? That’s the easy option yeah?

I guess we will be seeing the outbreaks in hotel housekeeping staff etc this week so.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well presumably people will cook the meat they buy and heat isn't good for viruses then very doubtful.

Was kinda joking on a Friday Night with all this lockdown stuff, but thanks anyway ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes , we have to stay in our own county, not just any of the three.

So all hotels and b n bs in your 3 counties will be turfing out their guests tomorrow then?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Tzardine wrote: »
    I live in Kildare. I have a camping trip to Kerry booked. Was supposed to be going down on Sunday.

I am still going. If I am allowed to continue to travel into work in Dublin City where I work in a public building , it makes no sense that I can not travel to Kerry.

If anything I am less of a risk in my tent in Kerry than I am commuting every day and working with the public.

I hear no mention of these restrictions being mandatory anyway.

Donnelly said they are going to be put on a statutory footing.

But it's not just inside those factories ?

A gas club had to shut down because of it. All of them don't work in a meat factory

Mingling in non socially distancing groups is the problem for every group now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

I live in dublin near the border of kildare and genuinely forget leixlip and maynooth aren't dublin most of the time and was planning to go out there during the week.

it seems like it's mostly just forcing pubs and restaurants to close and since it can't really be policed everyone's just gonna go to dublin or another nearby place.

**** situation for all the those places that have been adhering to the rules when it's mostly working conditions in a few places causing it

Advertisement