Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

if your referring to that awful eye sore on sheriff street, delighted there was no gardai about :)

But yes I agree garda resources not being properly focused on real crime and I suspect most Gardai would prefer to be doing proper police work.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Meat factories unchecked by Minister Creed and State agencies, left open with pubs closed. Nursing homes open and schools closed. Test results taking a week while HSE say 1/2 days and capacity of 100k tests by Minister Harris not realistic. State has persuaded a compliant people to do all the heavy work to fight the virus, only the medical people have saved us. Too much spin and continuous barrage of gloomy information, crazy Green list etc. We were laughing at Boris but England is now doing as well as we are with over 10 times population.

It seems that the government are more terrified about burdening our health care system and yet they essentially closed it down to none Covid-19 health issues. I saw first hand a midlands general hospital in the middle of the main lockdown. Taking aside the need for caution, specific wards were restricted and used for covid patients but the rest of the hospital was essentially abandoned. I broke a limb and was one of 3 patients, operation had to be done in private hospital in Dublin and whilst I don't for a second question the care I received it seems utter madness the HSE as now created an absolute nightmare, taking aside a potential further major outbreak, theyve now created a mind boggling back log, not just of cancer patients but numerous other clinics dealing with long term conditions, instead resorting to bizzare telephone consultations. Even without another outbreak, the system is now been set back years, just extraordinary. What I don't get is why weren't private hospitals used for other issues other than emergency operations, most patients dealing with a chronic illness have consultants already based at these private hospitals. I just don't know but it seems there's a far worse crisis coming in our health system, not related to Covid-19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Seeing as they can't legally stop anyone from travelling, it seems extremely pointless and no doubt frustrating for the Gardai themselves.

What happens if someone says "Nah, you're grand thanks!" Can they actually DO anything?

I know a couple of Gardai and they were totally frustrated during lockdown.
    They were hearing the same excuses over and over again and really couldn't check up on them.
    Their checkpoints were mostly a waste of time.
    I imagine the Gardai in the midland zombie zone are just going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

fawlty682 wrote: »
    We were laughing at Boris but England is now doing as well as we are with over 10 times population.

Nope you are wrong there

Just watching the Dail Covid-19 committee, the unions and meat producers in for a chat. The hypocrisy of the unions breath taking, they keep referring to "their members", are these the so called members living in appalling conditions, are these the members being paid through odious recruitment firms and treated as self employed contractors, are these the members that have wages docked and have no sick pay, are these the members who've been essentially forced to deny illness and attend work, indeed are these the members forced to have union subscriptions taken from wages without consent, I suspect these unions have a lot to answer for and seem very, very keen to deflect responsibility.

Blame certainly lies with the owners of these plants but we're exactly have the unions been, this has been going on for years, it's a thundering disgrace, made worse by fat cat union executives pontificating. I doubt any of their representatives were ever in Tullamore let alone the other plants, makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

The European Disease Control figures which are our Governments yardstick indicate England and Ireland similar. We are behind Germany and well off Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

I live in Co Kildare, work in Co Dublin. Take back roads between the two .... was stopped this morning at a Garda checkpoint for Tax & Insurance. Not asked anything related to the COVID lockdown - just looked at my discs and waved me on :confused:

RayCon wrote: »
    I live in Co Kildare, work in Co Dublin. Take back roads between the two .... was stopped this morning at a Garda checkpoint for Tax & Insurance. Not asked anything related to the COVID lockdown - just looked at my discs and waved me on :confused:

Don't be confused, someone has to pay for all of this :) as it happens just got Mt tax renewal reminder email, no mention of any discount for car been off the road for almost 4 months, now I'm confused :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Don't be confused, someone has to pay for all of this :) as it happens just got Mt tax renewal reminder email, no mention of any discount for car been off the road for almost 4 months, now I'm confused :)

Did you declare it off the road? If not, you're liable for the tax.

Beltby wrote: »
    Did you declare it off the road? If not, you're liable for the tax.

I know, pity though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

24 in Kildare today, Laois and Offaly down in the also ran category (so 1 or 2),

So Kildare about 1/4 of today's total, same as Dublin - high, but not the mega cluster of last week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Patser wrote: »
    24 in Kildare today, Laois and Offaly down in the also ran category (so 1 or 2),

So Kildare about 1/4 of today's total, same as Dublin - high, but not the mega cluster of last week

Feargal on RTE just said 8 in Kildare? Less in Laois and Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Can they not tell us exactly how many cases are in the counties that are closed. Probally 1 in offaly and 1 in Laois. Lump 14 casea into 9 counties. Spin spin spin spin.

Glebee wrote: »
    Can they not tell us exactly how many cases are in the counties that are closed. Probally 1 in offaly and 1 in Laois. Lump 14 casea into 9 counties. Spin spin spin spin.

Minimum of 1 per county, max of 4. So Offaly and Laois each have somewhere between 1 and 4 cases. For confidentiality reasons they don't publish the exact numbers, but regardless, neither county has very many.

That’s the way I’m reading it - they don’t have the balls to state Laois figures

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

That’s the way I’m reading it - they don’t have the balls to state Laois figures

Here is a link to the statement today. Laois had 0 new cases and Offaly had 7.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/2658d-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-13-august/#cases-by-county

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Id laois had 0 why were they named on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just watching the Dail Covid-19 committee, the unions and meat producers in for a chat. The hypocrisy of the unions breath taking, they keep referring to "their members", are these the so called members living in appalling conditions, are these the members being paid through odious recruitment firms and treated as self employed contractors, are these the members that have wages docked and have no sick pay, are these the members who've been essentially forced to deny illness and attend work, indeed are these the members forced to have union subscriptions taken from wages without consent, I suspect these unions have a lot to answer for and seem very, very keen to deflect responsibility.

Blame certainly lies with the owners of these plants but we're exactly have the unions been, this has been going on for years, it's a thundering disgrace, made worse by fat cat union executives pontificating. I doubt any of their representatives were ever in Tullamore let alone the other plants, makes my blood boil.

The job of Government is to do what they have being telling us to do for Months.
    The HSA have confirmened they were not doing their job and inspecting an industry with known problems worldwide in this area.
    I was talking to a HSE employee who lost 2k+ trip last month as Government advised against travel,
    Then we discover there big problem at home and her collegues not doing checks.
    She is a bit pissed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Id laois had 0 why were they named on the list?

The full daily county details always lag a day behind, so the zero would have been yesterday.

Lapis and Offaly today are less than 5, and so we will find out tomorrow just how much they each had exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The odious recruitment scenario is of course echoed in the recent HSE talent drive at the start of the Irish response to the pandemic. Turned out that behind the green jersey call to arms was another odious recruitment agency luring people in based on sentiment and ready to jettison them once the crisis is over.

One wonders why Revenue have not tackled the self contractor nature of these jobs? It would seem that their contractor project really is only aimed at the little guys. Certainly would seem then as if structural enablers in the meat industry are left untouched.

Are you sure about union dues taken without consent? That does not sound correct. IF it is, that would be easily challenged and won under the Payment of Wages Act in the Labour Court/Employment Appeals Tribunal /the appropriate forum.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The odious recruitment scenario is of course echoed in the recent HSE talent drive at the start of the Irish response to the pandemic. Turned out that behind the green jersey call to arms was another odious recruitment agency luring people in based on sentiment and ready to jettison them once the crisis is over.

One wonders why Revenue have not tackled the self contractor nature of these jobs? It would seem that their contractor project really is only aimed at the little guys. Certainly would seem then as if structural enablers in the meat industry are left untouched.

Are you sure about union dues taken without consent? That does not sound correct. IF it is, that would be easily challenged and won under the Payment of Wages Act in the Labour Court/Employment Appeals Tribunal /the appropriate forum.

I can't be 100% sure about union subscriptions but know these factories are unionised so I'd assume anyone working in them would be enrolled in union subscriptions, I base my thoughts on the repeated "our members" commentary from union reps all suddenly overcome with sincerity. These sites have been employing migrants under dubious contracts of employment for years, that there is no doubt about. Re the recent HSE talent drive, I assume your not suggesting 100s of migrants suddenly and recently applied for jobs in meat factories??

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Why would they do that ? It could be seen as a small bit of good news.
    The fear must be maintained.

This thread has become Conspiracy Theory Central over the past day or so. Some really nonsense posts now cropping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

My biggest issue is that a couple of months ago many parts of Ireland had virtually eradicated the virus. Places like Kerry and Sligo went on month long streaks without new cases, but because "we are all in it together" they were kept on the same level lockdown as the rest of the country. Dublin at one stage was reporting close to 60% of new cases. The Western counties should have been allowed push ahead.
    Some economic activity could and should have been restarted earlier in those areas while keeping the restrictions in place in areas which had yet to achieve lower levels of transmission. We were told it couldn't be done, but now after a few meat plant clusters in a few specific areas they can suddenly change tack and lockdown 400,000 people.
    The government need to publish clear figures to show us when they will pull the trigger, but they won't. They want to be able to have wriggle room if and when Dublin begins to spike again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This thread has become Conspiracy Theory Central over the past day or so. Some really nonsense posts now cropping up.

Its only a conspiracy theory if there's some untruth to it.

Laois had probable 1 case today. Offaly the same. Kildare had 24..same as Dublin. They are actual facts not conspiracys and they don't justify a lockdown of 3 counties. If you want I'll agree that Kildare is quite high but so is Dublin. Why isn't Dublin locked down. Cork had 10 cases yesterday I think which is higher than both Laois or offaly but Cork hasn't been looked down.

Until they start telling the truth we're going to be having the same discussion over and over.
    And until they start using the same criteria I wont believe a word out of their mouths.

Mehole will never lock down Cork even if there was an increase of a thousand cases because it would be political suicide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Laois had probable 1 case today. Offaly the same. Kildare had 24..same as Dublin. They are actual facts not conspiracys and they don't justify a lockdown of 3 counties.

The 14-day rates per 100,000 people

Ireland - 19

Kildare - 146.1
    Offaly - 136
    Laois - 74.4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Graham wrote: »
    The 14-day rates per 100,000 people

Ireland - 19

Kildare - 146.1
    Offaly - 136
    Laois - 74.4

I feel bad for Laois. That statistic works out at 62 cases in the entire county in 14 days. Dublin had 24 cases *yesterday* - the population is a lot more concentrated than Laois is and there isn't a whisper about a lockdown in Dublin

Any given case in ranelagh is a lot more serious than 1a given case in rathdowney,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

London was the same as Dublin in the end. Everyone though the virus would be rampant there but look what happened, lockdowns in Manchester and Leicestershire. And then Aberdeen. And now it is is in LOK.

I don't understand it myself apart from the meat factories TBH. But there is a common denominator which I cannot mention in some of those places, have a guess.

Advertisement