Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

there is a common denominator which I cannot mention in some of those places, have a guess.

The highest 14-day rates of Coronavirus per 100,000 people would be the glaringly obvious answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Graham wrote: »
    The highest 14-day rates of Coronavirus per 100,000 people would be the glaringly obvious answer.

OK, thanks.

Strange that this stat didn't happen in the big cities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

hmmm wrote: »
    Only if you don't understand the NZ strategy of elimination, and the speed this virus will transmit throughout a community if allowed. They have one chance to eliminate this, and half-measures won't work.

How often are the people going to accept that though? Every 6 weeks into lockdown over a handful of cases and the mood will swing fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why are Gardaí telling people to turnaround when driving within their county and say it’s not essential journey. This relates to Kildare. I thought if you live in Kildare you can drive every inch of the place if you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Why are Gardaí telling people to turnaround when driving within their county and say it’s not essential journey. This relates to Kildare. I thought if you live in Kildare you can drive every inch of the place if you choose

Are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's unenforceable anyway according to media reports earlier this week. As long as your tyres, tax, nct etc are in order, drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Where did that happen ? I live on the kildare/ Laois border my address would be kildare but GP , shopping all done in Laois. I have come across two check points one at kildare village guard asked where I was from and told him no hassle at all , and another check outside Portlaoise guard asked my address and I told him again no problem as I said I do all my shopping in Portlaoise . To be honest both times it just seemed like a box ticking exercise .. they were turning cars around at kildare village for those who lived out side of kildare .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

harr wrote: »
    Where did that happen ? I live on the kildare/ Laois border my address would be kildare but GP , shopping all done in Laois. I have come across two check points one at kildare village guard asked where I was from and told him no hassle at all , and another check outside Portlaoise guard asked my address and I told him again no problem as I said I do all my shopping in Portlaoise . To be honest both times it just seemed like a box ticking exercise .. they were turning cars around at kildare village for those who lived out side of kildare .

Which per the legislation they have no right to do as I understand it

So that Dublin driver going into Kildare village says "no you're grand thanks". What happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I feel bad for Laois. That statistic works out at 62 cases in the entire county in 14 days. Dublin had 24 cases *yesterday* - the population is a lot more concentrated than Laois is and there isn't a whisper about a lockdown in Dublin

Any given case in ranelagh is a lot more serious than 1a given case in rathdowney,

I don't understand how population density like the above doesn't come in to it.

I spent lockdown in Laois, my partner in Dublin, we had two very, very different experiences of day-to-day life.

There's more people in Phibsborough than there is in Portlaoise (biggest town in Laois).

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Which per the legislation they have no right to do as I understand it

So that Dublin driver going into Kildare village says "no you're grand thanks". What happens then?

I have no idea , line of cars going up slip road to the village and majority being sent back down other slip back on to the motor way and also a guard at kildare town junction so they couldn’t come that way ..

• Advertisement

I don't understand how population density like the above doesn't come in to it.

I spent lockdown in Laois, my partner in Dublin, we had two very, very different experiences of day-to-day life.

There's more people in Phibsborough than there is in Portlaoise (biggest town in Laois).

I don’t understand this as well surely a person in a Dublin suburb would have a greater chance of passing the virus on than a person say In Ballybrittas , if Dublin has same cases per day as LOK surely the people in Dublin would have greater chance of spreading it in densely populated areas.
    Yes the cases in Dublin are more spread out as the population is a lot bigger but surely that leads to a greater chance of Community spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I have no idea , line of cars going up slip road to the village and majority being sent back down other slip back on to the motor way and also a guard at kildare town junction so they couldn’t come that way ..

I think what the op is saying though is there’s nothing in the legislation involving penalties to stop you. It’s purely advisory. So if you disagree with the Garda and say No thanks, what then?
    Businesses need to come together now and call an end to this utter madness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How well they’d be there...People from Dublin and down the country Would be coming up to spend a few bob.
    This is economic suicide in its purest form, I wonder do AGS ever think hold on a second this makes no sense and it’s economic activity that will be paying my wages ultimately. Or are they like so many others brainwashed into this long this stuff is “saving lives” or something?
    Next few budgets are going to be carnage- sorry but the likes of AGS who’s hefty salaries come from a battered exchequer will be the first in the firing line

road_high wrote: »
    How well they’d be there...People from Dublin and down the country Would be coming up to spend a few bob.
    This is economic suicide in its purest form, I wonder do AGS ever think hold on a second this makes no sense and it’s economic activity that will be paying my wages ultimately. Or are they like so many others brainwashed into this long this stuff is “saving lives” or something?
    Next few budgets are going to be carnage- sorry but the likes of AGS who’s hefty salaries come from a battered exchequer will be the first in the firing line

I wouldn't even say it's either. I'm sure the Gardai on the checkpoints know it's stupid and doing more harm than good, but what can they do but follow orders of where they're to setup for the day?

We saw a few years ago that AGS doesn't really like dissenting voices in the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What sort of a Muppet are you? AGS take an oath, like every public servant, to do their job dutifully within legal parameters. That is what these Gardaí are doing.
    You are really reaching now. If AGS members could do solo runs, well, we'd have anarchy. Their powers are given to them, like any authorised officer of the State, under strict provisions.
    What planet are you on? More to the point, do your parents know you're on Boards masquerading as an adult??

This is not Det McCabe territory. You're advocating Gardaí rank and file downing tools when they don't like government policy? They'd have to take off the uniform. We don't allow private armies in the State pal.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    What sort of a Muppet are you? AGS take an oath, like every public servant, to do their job dutifully within legal parameters. That is what these Gardaí are doing.
    You are really reaching now. If AGS members could do solo runs, well, we'd have anarchy. Their powers are given to them, like any authorised officer of the State, under strict provisions.
    What planet are you on? More to the point, do your parents know you're on Boards masquerading as an adult??

Bit of an overreaction, no?

The point is that AGS don't have legal powers to prevent people from travelling at the moment.

Therefore, some of them turning cars around is doing a solo run.

I think what the op is saying though is there’s nothing in the legislation involving penalties to stop you. It’s purely advisory. So if you disagree with the Garda and say No thanks, what then?
    Businesses need to come together now and call an end to this utter madness

Businesses can lobby. Gardaí cannot decide which government direction they will follow.
    You need to think that through.

Bit of an overreaction, no?

The point is that AGS don't have legal powers to prevent people from travelling at the moment.

Therefore, some of them turning cars around is doing a solo run.

No over-reaction if Road High is suggesting that AGS members question their instructions? I think he has done. That's pure folly and would be a very dangerous precedent. Even with the water charges, where it was a waste of Garda resources, and sullied their reputation, they did as instructed.

If a Garda has no power at a checkpoint, one can simply challenge them. They have finite powers. Of course, under the Road Traffic Act, they have many. So, buyer beware.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    No over-reaction if Road High is suggesting that AGS members question their instructions? I think he has done. That's pure folly and would be a very dangerous precedent. Even with the water charges, where it was a waste of Garda resources, and sullied their reputation, they did as instructed.

If a Garda has no power at a checkpoint, one can simply challenge them. They have finite powers. Of course, under the Road Traffic Act, they have many. So, buyer beware.

So what you're inferring is that although they have no legal rights to stop anyone travelling (but are anyway!), that anyone challenging them might find themselves faced with being stopped for another reason (because, what? The Garda didn't like being told no?).

Seems petty to me. No-one should have to fear reprisal or consequences if they've done nothing wrong - and as it stands, AGS have no legal basis to prevent anyone travelling. If they have an issue with how that works on the ground, that should be fed back to the Minister ultimately.

Are you a member yourself by chance? I often find posters with the style of the above (there's a few others here too) turn out to be serving Gardai themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Article on RTE URL="https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0813/1159075-business-laois-kildare-offaly-covid-grant/"]link[/URL says the plan is for restrictions to end on Sunday 23 at midnight (assuming they aren't extended).
    Shouldn't it be Saturday 22 at mightnight since they came into place on a Saturday at mignight?
    The package is also likely to include a €1m fund to promote tourism in the counties once the restrictions end on midnight Sunday 23 August, if all goes to plan.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »
    Article on RTE URL="https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0813/1159075-business-laois-kildare-offaly-covid-grant/"]link[/URL says the plan is for restrictions to end on Sunday 23 at midnight (assuming they aren't extended).
    Shouldn't it be Saturday 22 at mightnight since they came into place on a Saturday at mignight?

It's more just to round it up to cover the whole weekend.

I think Laois however has a case for being opened up again after THIS weekend.

So what you're inferring is that although they have no legal rights to stop anyone travelling (but are anyway!), that anyone challenging them might find themselves faced with being stopped for another reason (because, what? The Garda didn't like being told no?).

Seems petty to me. No-one should have to fear reprisal or consequences if they've done nothing wrong - and as it stands, AGS have no legal basis to prevent anyone travelling. If they have an issue with how that works on the ground, that should be fed back to the Minister ultimately.

Are you a member yourself by chance? I often find posters with the style of the above (there's a few others here too) turn out to be serving Gardai themselves
    Plenty of instances around my way during the last lockdown before it became illegal not to travel of guards checking tyre depth .. all lights on the car , tax , insurance and NCT .. lots of lads who got lippy and refused to take the guards advice and turn around found themselves with fines for very obscure infringements. Including a dirty number plate.
    So for anyone who does intend not to take the guards advice make sure your car and documents are in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Really? So how many Gardai posting have you 'found'?

Really? So how many Gardai posting have you 'found'?

I don't want to mention specific names but there are at least 3 I'm aware of who previously admitted they were serving members on threads, but then don't disclose this on others when defending AGS

Doesn't bother me beyond the bias I think it brings. Also as far as I know, AGS have strict policies on social media usage by members or even the suggestion they might be representing policy so I hope those members are aware of that too.

Plenty of instances around my way during the last lockdown before it became illegal not to travel of guards checking tyre depth .. all lights on the car , tax , insurance and NCT .. lots of lads who got lippy and refused to take the guards advice and turn around found themselves with fines for very obscure infringements. Including a dirty number plate.
    So for anyone who does intend not to take the guards advice make sure your car and documents are in line.

That behaviour to me is far more concerning to be honest.

As for Gardai not being able to express their dissent to policy - no-one remembers the Blue Flu then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

mcgovern wrote: »

It actually kicked in midnight on Friday 7th - so by tacking on the 2 extra days - they've taken out 3 weekends business from the counties - so think of any weddings that might have been planned for Saturday 22nd.

I have a sneaky suspicion they added that last weekend, so that they can hand it back as a bone next week. On Tuesday the'll probably say numbers are down because of our swift intervention, we're now in a position to ease restrictions early, they'll be lifted as a Friday this week, we hope you enjoy the bonus weekend. Aren't we great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Patser wrote: »
    I have a sneaky suspicion they added that last weekend, so that they can hand it back as a bone next week. On Tuesday the'll probably say numbers are down because of our swift intervention, we're now in a position to ease restrictions early, they'll be lifted as a Friday this week, we hope you enjoy the bonus weekend. Aren't we great

Do you think so? Maybe I’m wrong but I thought all the prior relaxation of the rules such as shops and restaurants opening occurred on a Monday or Tuesday, perhaps so the weekend wasn’t mad busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I'm sure this has all been discussed at length on the thread, and apologies if I am rehashing old arguments, but if I was in LOK and had booked a staycation with my family I'd just go ahead and go.

This ocal lockdown was a pre-emptive one, to make sure those meat factory and direct provision individuals - and their close contacts - hadn't spread the virus at the local spar or restaurant, and we're just awaiting any symptoms to show up in any individuals that might have unwittingly been chatting to a contact without a mask, or picked it up off a surface that hadn't been cleaned.

Given, in the majority of cases, symptoms show up in 5-7 days, if there hasn't been a big jump in community infections in LOK, then there isn't going to be. I understand that from calling your GP to getting your test result takes about four days, but if GPs aren't getting a big jump in calls (and I haven't heard anything to say that they have) then people should move outside the county if they want to.

If I was to be TERRIBLY cynical, and I'm not saying this actually happened, a local lockdown has brought the prevention measures (mask wearing, social distancing) back to the forefront of everyone's minds, not just in LOK, at a time when adherence to the prevention guidance was waning. And by lucky chance, the spike in infections was neither in Dublin, the economic hub, nor in the West, the centre of our tourism industry. My husband works in the retail food sector, and he said there had been rumours for months about people getting sick in meat factories, not going to their GP for fear of not earning, and employers not adhering to the social distancing rules. It seems...convenient...that there was acknowledgement and testing of meat factory workers right at this point, and not two or three months ago.

So again, if I was being terribly cynical, it may be the case that there isn't overwhelming concern that there is community infection in LOK, but it seemed like a good time and a convenient place for a local lockdown, with the added benefit that in the small possibility that there was a wider outbreak this two week lockdown would dampen that flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Do you think so? Maybe I’m wrong but I thought all the prior relaxation of the rules such as shops and restaurants opening occurred on a Monday or Tuesday, perhaps so the weekend wasn’t mad busy

It's pretty clear they won't do anything for this weekend, Glynn repeatedly has said it'll be next week before they can see results of restrictions - so despite Laois having very low numbers nearly all week, there's never been a sniff of a lifting - and to do so now would be fairly meaningless as it'll be too short notice for anyone with events this weekend to do anything.

Monday infection figures are always seen as bit iffy since they come from a weekend period, so Tuesday's will probably be a decision time, especially to get notice out so people can make plans for the last weekend, so you're probably right that Wednesday could see lifting of some restrictions (depending on numbers). And with businesses feeling the extra pinch of this weekend's hits (and Kildare Village probably hopping mad watching most of their customers being turned away now, and others dissuaded from coming for the rest of the weekend) I'd say TDs and Councillors are getting their ears chewed off - and that pressure is being pushed up the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Having no insurance or bald tyres aren't obscure offences. Guards appear to have caught a lot of idiots during the lockdown which is good for the majority of road users!

Advertisement