Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

harr wrote: »
    Where did that happen ? I live on the kildare/ Laois border my address would be kildare but GP , shopping all done in Laois. I have come across two check points one at kildare village guard asked where I was from and told him no hassle at all , and another check outside Portlaoise guard asked my address and I told him again no problem as I said I do all my shopping in Portlaoise . To be honest both times it just seemed like a box ticking exercise .. they were turning cars around at kildare village for those who lived out side of kildare .

Going to sallins from prosperous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

JDD wrote: »
    I'm sure this has all been discussed at length on the thread, and apologies if I am rehashing old arguments, but if I was in LOK and had booked a staycation with my family I'd just go ahead and go.

I've heard 1st hand of a hotel in Westport refusing to book in a family due to them not being able to prove they were out of the county before lockdown (TBF they weren't). Also lots of anecdotal reports of similar, or similar hassles in accomodation or activities. Not everyone, I've a few neighbours away and gone no hassle - but enough to give you pause.

Also the numbers are still high in Kildare - even yesterday 24 is not exactly low. Laois restrictions are into joke territory now though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

An Ri rua wrote: »
    What sort of a Muppet are you? AGS take an oath, like every public servant, to do their job dutifully within legal parameters. That is what these Gardaí are doing.
    You are really reaching now. If AGS members could do solo runs, well, we'd have anarchy. Their powers are given to them, like any authorised officer of the State, under strict provisions.
    What planet are you on? More to the point, do your parents know you're on Boards masquerading as an adult??

This is not Det McCabe territory. You're advocating Gardaí rank and file downing tools when they don't like government policy? They'd have to take off the uniform. We don't allow private armies in the State pal.

Oh please- another hysterical Covid-er. So completely brainwashed by a virus. Not worth discussing anything with tbh

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So what you're inferring is that although they have no legal rights to stop anyone travelling (but are anyway!), that anyone challenging them might find themselves faced with being stopped for another reason (because, what? The Garda didn't like being told no?).

Seems petty to me. No-one should have to fear reprisal or consequences if they've done nothing wrong - and as it stands, AGS have no legal basis to prevent anyone travelling. If they have an issue with how that works on the ground, that should be fed back to the Minister ultimately.

Are you a member yourself by chance? I often find posters with the style of the above (there's a few others here too) turn out to be serving Gardai themselves

Possibly is. Extremely aggressive posting style completely unwilling to listen to rationale argument. The types that if the government mandated us all to jump off a cliff they’d be first in line to push their grannies over. Sad, spineless types that get off on pointless rules and take pleasure in meaningless controls (of others that is)

There’s simply no penal sanction to any of the travel “rules”. I’m pointing that out- if AGS want to be petty and spiteful about that then so be it but they’d do well to remember they ultimately rely on the public to support them (and fund them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It's more just to round it up to cover the whole weekend.

I think Laois however has a case for being opened up again after THIS weekend.

Surely then it should be Monday at midnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mcgovern wrote: »
    Surely then it should be Monday at midnight?

Not up to me. :) I don't think Laois needed to be included at all either way and I'm not convinced a (multi) county lockdown was necessary in the first place.

Seems more to me that it was an overreaction by an acting CMO afraid not to be seen to be "proactive", weak Government afraid to question it (as has been the case pretty much all along), and perhaps a trial exercise to see how the public would react to more "limited" lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

road_high wrote: »
    Possibly is. Extremely aggressive posting style completely unwilling to listen to rationale argument. The types that if the government mandated us all to jump off a cliff they’d be first in line to push their grannies over. Sad, spineless types that get off on pointless rules and take pleasure in meaningless controls (of others that is)

There’s simply no penal sanction to any of the travel “rules”. I’m pointing that out- if AGS want to be petty and spiteful about that then so be it but they’d do well to remember they ultimately rely on the public to support them (and fund them)

If the eejit in question isnt violating any law they have nothing to worry about. But it would seem pretty likely that those that like to "fight the power" likely do have a laundry list of infringements that the guards can penalise them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pjohnson wrote: »
    If the eejit in question isnt violating any law they have nothing to worry about. But it would seem pretty likely that those that like to "fight the power" likely do have a laundry list of infringements that the guards can penalise them for.

You're missing the point. If someone has been stopped for travelling into Kildare Village, refuses to take the advice to go home - because legally that's all it can be at the moment - and then has a Garda go looking for other things to get them on solely because they told the Garda no, that's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

So what you're inferring is that although they have no legal rights to stop anyone travelling (but are anyway!), that anyone challenging them might find themselves faced with being stopped for another reason (because, what? The Garda didn't like being told no?).

Seems petty to me. No-one should have to fear reprisal or consequences if they've done nothing wrong - and as it stands, AGS have no legal basis to prevent anyone travelling. If they have an issue with how that works on the ground, that should be fed back to the Minister ultimately.

Are you a member yourself by chance? I often find posters with the style of the above (there's a few others here too) turn out to be serving Gardai themselves

Do I sound like a Garda when I've already said that they should be challenged?? I knew that Road High was irrational and doesn't really understand how a democracy works but I'd expected more from you.

It's perfectly rational to expect Gardaí to do as instructed. It's perfectly rational to expect free citizens to challenge any State official that abuses their finite powers.

You haven't a clue about much, have you?

• Advertisement

Do I sound like a Garda when I've already said that they should be challenged?? I knew that Road High was irrational and doesn't really understand how a democracy works but I'd expected more from you.

It's perfectly rational to expect Gardaí to do as instructed. It's perfectly rational to expect free citizens to challenge any State official that abuses their finite powers.

“Instructed.”. Show us the legislation that offers penalties for not complying?..there isn’t any.

“Instructed.”. Show us the legislation that offers penalties for not complying?..there isn’t any.

For a Garda not following orders? Are you mad? Or just semi-literate?

You haven't a clue about much, have you?

More of a clue that your good self that’s for sure.
    When you’re losing or failing to make an argument you have to get in with personal attacks. The mark of the lack of intelligence to debate or someone who’s not very stable. In your case it’s probably both

More of a clue that your good self that’s for sure.
    When you’re losing or failing to make an argument you have to get in with personal attacks. The mark of the lack of intelligence to debate or someone who’s not very stable. In your case it’s probably both

I think the debate over who's intelligent (and not, but has a mobile) will be obvious to most reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Look, if you're driving from Laois to Clare on your holidays and get stopped by AGS, then, you are completely within your rights to tell them that you are not turning around and are keeping going.

The AGS are also within their rights to stop you if you have bald tires or out of date insurance or whatever, because that's illegal. Whether they would turn a blind eye to it on another occasion, well that's neither here nor there. Nor would I say it was petty - they're not doing it for thrills - they might not even agree with the lockdown themselves - but they have been told to do all that is within their power to ensure the travel guidance is applied.

So just make sure your car is ship shape, and you'll be grand.

Now if the guards are making **** up about your car, well that's a different story entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You're missing the point. If someone has been stopped for travelling into Kildare Village, refuses to take the advice to go home - because legally that's all it can be at the moment - and then has a Garda go looking for other things to get them on solely because they told the Garda no, that's a problem.
    So you think they should be allowed drive a car that doesnt meet requirements?

If they say no and their car is in proper road worthy shape they have no problem.

If the car isnt fit to be on the road thats the drivers problem. Why do so many insist on refusing any responsibility for their actions? If theres issues with the car the driver deserves what they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's not really. If your car is fully legal, you have nothing to worry about...

Laois and Offaly still in also ran positions, so 1 or 2. Kildare 17, so no massive follow on yet from last weekends clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

has it been said when residents of the three counties will get to know if the lockdown ends next Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Muahahaha wrote: »
    has it been said when residents of the three counties will get to know if the lockdown ends next Friday?

No, McGrath said last night on RTÉ that he hopes restrictions will be lifted, which means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on restrictions to be lifted in kildare .. Hopefully the new clusters I am hearing about don’t mount to much and involve small numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just cancelled my few days away for next week, if they lift restrictions early they can fcuk off. Not a chance they will lift early though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

If Kildare merits a continued lockdown but the figures in Laois and Offaly are good, will they still keep the three bundled together?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Glebee wrote: »
    Just cancelled my few days away for next week, if they lift restrictions early they can fcuk off. Not a chance they will lift early though.

That was silly in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

That was silly in fairness.

A concience is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Tork wrote: »
    If Kildare merits a continued lockdown but the figures in Laois and Offaly are good, will they still keep the three bundled together?

If the numbers stay extremely low in Laois, I can't see there being much public sentiment for an extended lockdown. Business owners will be going crazy. Some may even open up, just to save their own skin.

Patience is running out for these closures, things are only going to get worse. It's barely a lockdown as it is, pubs and restaurants paying the ultimate price that's all.

It is, and again symptomatic of the Govts mishandling of this lockdown.

4 hours notice of lockdown, this is an emergency, don't travel, close all social spaces.........

But if you do travel no penalty, and if social spaces move outdoor fine....

But we won't review or discuss our decision at all til next week, instead Stephen Donnelly will get briefly distracted by possibly blocking incoming passengers before just going missing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's no logic behind the lockdown so you're either playing along because you've bought into the narrative or because you're worried about what others would think of you

I don't see how conscience comes into it TBH.

You can't say there's no logic. There may be big flaws in its implementation, and the areas affected but there were some fairly big clusters last week that demanded some form of reaction to limit any possible spread.

They may have gone overboard, they may be stubborn in recognising this, but there was logic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

I know its hard, but did the same myself, Fair play

Advertisement