Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

votecounts wrote: »
    I know its hard, but did the same myself, Fair play

Did so too, but just watched my neighbours head off for Sligo - awkward moments between us. Its all a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No, McGrath said last night on RTÉ that he hopes restrictions will be lifted, which means nothing.

Would imagine they have to make a decision on whether to lift it or not by Wednesday afternoon at the latest, people need to know where they stand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Patser wrote: »
    Did so too, but just watched my neighbours head off for Sligo - awkward moments between us. Its all a shambles

It's a mess but it may be some consolation if we see other regional lockdowns. As bad as it is on all of us (you'd wonder if all the posters here are actually affected like we are, being from here), it's worse when there's people willingly going against the general consensus and toleration. It's ugly behaviour.
    No one wants the loss of freedom and wealth, but solo run merchants are a liability to any family, business or community. Making decisions that have ramifications for others, the tail wagging the dog.
    Pure Muppets.

Like the rest of the country, we could do with the normality, the continuity and the tax receipts. But they're not borrowing €30BN for the craic.

Some of the agitation here is very poorly thought out, other than my rights have been trampled. Selfish sh*tes, there's old folk bravely dealing with this since March. Cop yourselves f*cking on.

votecounts wrote: »
    I know its hard, but did the same myself, Fair play

Me too- lovely week in the West next week cancelled

But this pr1ck will have 3 holidays at least this year, one of them in Italy- it makes your blood boil - very hard to take the government or government agencies seriously any more-were all doing as were asked and still pr1cks like this think the “ask” is not directed at them-

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/failte-ireland-chairman-resigns-after-travelling-to-italy-on-holiday-amid-irish-staycation-push-39451897.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My neighbor headed off the first Sunday of lockdown as well but to be fair he has already lost a sizeable sum of money on a foreign holiday this year .. he could have went as flights were not cancelled he didn’t get refund so he did the right thing then and stayed at home .. rebooked a holiday in cork for last week with absolutely no fear of a lockdown but I don’t think he was ready or lose an other sizeable chuck of money.
    It’s really hard to tell kids they will have no holiday at all this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

But this pr1ck will have 3 holidays at least this year, one of them in Italy- it makes your blood boil - very hard to take the government or government agencies seriously any more-were all doing as were asked and still pr1cks like this think the “ask” is not directed at them-

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/failte-ireland-chairman-resigns-after-travelling-to-italy-on-holiday-amid-irish-staycation-push-39451897.html

That's despicable. The €1m to Bord Fáilte go promote tourism in Laois Offaly Kildare is also.
    It should be directly given as vouchers to people who prove local expenditure. They don't need to advertise, just incentivise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Reading the last few posts of people who've cancelled trips as a result of the "lockdown", I genuinely have to ask.. Why? (assuming that the destination venue didn't cancel for you)

The numbers are showing that this was again a massive overreaction by NPHET and their Government hangers-on - You could argue even the Government didn't really buy into it by not giving AGS the same powers they had during the earlier movement restrictions, but as usual were more concerned about being seen to be doing "something"

People are still travelling anyway regardless and more and more are questioning the damage these kneejerk responses are doing as a whole to the country.

So why cancel if you're not sick, haven't been sick, and don't feel any symptoms. Sure you could in theory be asymptomatic but are you then self isolating instead?

I just genuinely don't understand it. To me it's either the result of fear of a very manageable virus as it's turning out, or fear of sticking your head above the parapet in case others disapprove.

I'm not trying to be smart or insulting, but I am concerned about how many seem to just be going along with whatever random, unjustified edicts are issued by a medical group who are extremely conservative by nature and ONLY looking at it from the medical angle, and weak politicians more worried that they might be held accountable for a decision than taking a bigger picture view of where we are, the changing mood, and the devastating impact these over-reactions are having on the (local) economy and people themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Reading the last few posts of people who've cancelled trips as a result of the "lockdown", I genuinely have to ask.. Why? (assuming that the destination venue didn't cancel for you)

The numbers are showing that this was again a massive overreaction by NPHET and their Government hangers-on - You could argue even the Government didn't really buy into it by not giving AGS the same powers they had during the earlier movement restrictions, but as usual were more concerned about being seen to be doing "something"

People are still travelling anyway regardless and more and more are questioning the damage these kneejerk responses are doing as a whole to the country.

So why cancel if you're not sick, haven't been sick, and don't feel any symptoms. Sure you could in theory be asymptomatic but are you then self isolating instead?

I just genuinely don't understand it. To me it's either the result of fear of a very manageable virus as it's turning out, or fear of sticking your head above the parapet in case others disapprove.

I'm not trying to be smart or insulting, but I am concerned about how many seem to just be going along with whatever random, unjustified edicts are issued by a medical group who are extremely conservative by nature and ONLY looking at it from the medical angle, and weak politicians more worried that they might be held accountable for a decision than taking a bigger picture view of where we are, the changing mood, and the devastating impact these over-reactions are having on the (local) economy and people themselves.

It’s expert medical advice, with a global pandemic surely it’s a good idea to be extremely conservative. You can’t blame people that have no idea about how bad this virus is or can be for following the advice of the elected government and medical experts.. come on pal, it’s not that hard to understand ??

Rock77 wrote: »
    It’s expert medical advice, with a global pandemic surely it’s a good idea to be extremely conservative. You can’t blame people that have no idea about how bad this virus is or can be for following the advice of the elected government and medical experts.. come on pal, it’s not that hard to understand ??

The "expert" advice and the measures being enforced don't line up with the impact the virus is having/has had in Ireland. We have what.. less than a dozen cases in hospital in the whole country? No deaths in days? Less than 2000 deaths 6 months in. Let's face it here.. it's not as bad as it was made out to be.

Again, as I keep having to point out, this is GREAT news - but it seems that some are so consumed by fear or the need for compliance that they're not analysing the situation for what it is.

We need to protect that demographic which ARE most at risk - the elderly and those with underlying conditions. The rest of us just need to wash our hands and practise good hygiene, maintain discreet distances where possible (both of which are good advice anyway - pandemic or not) and get on with it.

Locking down 3 counties and enforcing mandatory mask wearing on everyone under threat of big fines or jail is a completely disproportionate and hysterical reaction to the impact this thing is ACTUALLY having in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The "expert" advice and the measures being enforced don't line up with the impact the virus is having/has had in Ireland. We have what.. less than a dozen cases in hospital in the whole country? No deaths in days? Less than 2000 deaths 6 months in. Let's face it here.. it's not as bad as it was made out to be.

Again, as I keep having to point out, this is GREAT news - but it seems that some are so consumed by fear or the need for compliance that they're not analysing the situation for what it is.

We need to protect that demographic which ARE most at risk - the elderly and those with underlying conditions. The rest of us just need to wash our hands and practise good hygiene, maintain discreet distances where possible (both of which are good advice anyway - pandemic or not) and get on with it.

Locking down 3 counties and enforcing mandatory mask wearing on everyone under threat of big fines or jail is a completely disproportionate and hysterical reaction to the impact this thing is ACTUALLY having in Ireland.

Is the whole idea not to react strongly to any clusters in order to stop a second wave or further spread?

Those counties are on a two week "lockdown". Its not the end of the world is it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Another anti mask wearing comment. I don't get the hostility towards what is only a minor inconvenience for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the population.

Is the whole idea not to react strongly to any clusters in order to stop a second wave or further spread?

Those counties are on a two week "lockdown". Its not the end of the world is it.

I think people in those counties whose jobs or businesses are under threat as a result would disagree with you.

There's no evidence of a second wave and the daily obsession with new cases/overall totals is MEANINGLESS. People catching the virus tells us nothing - how many of those become seriously ill requiring hospitalisation or die are the figures that count.. and those numbers are stable and very low in the context of the 6 months we've been living with this.

Unless we start seeing hundreds ending up in hospital (and there's no evidence to suggest this will happen, taking into account that the rest of the country remains - mostly - open) all that the LOK lockdown is doing is killing people's livelihoods and social outlets, nothing more.

Let's not forget that lockdown was originally intended to allow the medical response time to get to where it needs to be. Well it's there now and still the serious cases are extremely low.

All sense of perspective and idea of proportionality is being lost in the face of obsessions over totals and over-analysis of what it MIGHT lead to, maybe!

Kaiser - because there was a risk of accommodation or activity providers where we were travelling to saying Sorry you shouldnt be here, or of other guests reacting badly. For those not getting detail about the outbreak, Kildare sounds like plague central

Another anti mask wearing comment. I don't get the hostility towards what is only a minor inconvenience for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the population.

Because the facts of the matter are, based on the numbers in hospital, numbers in ICU and the low overall number of deaths (most of whom are from a known demographic in nursing homes which are themselves isolated from the public), it's completely unnecessary, ineffective anyway (given how many aren't wearing them properly or reusing them endlessly) and I'd argue, harming the economy more as many can't be bothered with the "inconvenience" unless absolutely necessary.

But honest question to you.. given the real numbers above.. what are you so afraid of? Or is that you are reluctant to go against the advice even if it makes no real sense?

Because the facts of the matter are, based on the numbers in hospital, numbers in ICU and the low overall number of deaths (most of whom are from a known demographic in nursing homes which are themselves isolated from the public), it's completely unnecessary, ineffective anyway (given how many aren't wearing them properly or reusing them endlessly) and I'd argue, harming the economy more as many can't be bothered with the "inconvenience" unless absolutely necessary.

But honest question to you.. given the real numbers above.. what are you so afraid of? Or is that you are reluctant to go against the advice even if it makes no real sense?

It make perfect sense to me and the vast majority of the population. You seem to think that the keyboard warriors know better than the medical and health experts.

It make perfect sense to me and the vast majority of the population. You seem to think that the keyboard warriors know better than the medical and health experts.

So from the above then you're happy to defer the decisions to the "experts" regardless of what the actual numbers are saying (the important numbers I mentioned, not those being selectively used to justify the response) - fair enough. That's an option and all you had to say.
    One thing I've noticed though is that when challenged for an actual opinion or justification, the response of many is insults, deflection/whataboutery and a unwarranted smug condescension. All it does is devalue whatever point they had to make.

It's lost on me. I don't live by social media and nor do I need the validation of randomers on the Internet. I'll look at the data, the on the ground experience, and make my decision that way - and from all I've seen so far, we have needlessly wrecked the economy, people's livelihoods and futures (especially the younger people), and endangered the mental and other physical health of many for very little benefit.

Again.. less than 2000 deaths, a relative handful in hospital and no evidence of a surge despite the country being as close to fully reopen for 2 months now. Oh and no restrictions on flights from abroad that aren't imposed at source, and the haphazard foreign travel policy.

The biggest driver now seems to be justifying the massive overreaction and damage wrought before the real economic consequences kick in with the Budget.

But I'll give you a prediction - I fully expect that schools reopening will be a mess with a lot of potential outbreaks (as every sniffle - of which there'll be many given it'll be September/October) and claims that the second wave has hit as was predicted and we did the right thing as a result.
    But, as is the case now, when you dig a bit deeper and discover a lot of false positives and that most people are still not significantly impacted by the virus even if they do get it, the true story won't be quite as supportive of the responses.

So from the above then you're happy to defer the decisions to the "experts" regardless of what the actual numbers are saying (the important numbers I mentioned, not those being selectively used to justify the response) - fair enough. That's an option and all you had to say.
    One thing I've noticed though is that when challenged for an actual opinion or justification, the response of many is insults, deflection/whataboutery and a unwarranted smug condescension. All it does is devalue whatever point they had to make.

It's lost on me. I don't live by social media and nor do I need the validation of randomers on the Internet. I'll look at the data, the on the ground experience, and make my decision that way - and from all I've seen so far, we have needlessly wrecked the economy, people's livelihoods and futures (especially the younger people), and endangered the mental and other physical health of many for very little benefit.

Again.. less than 2000 deaths, a relative handful in hospital and no evidence of a surge despite the country being as close to fully reopen for 2 months now. Oh and no restrictions on flights from abroad that aren't imposed at source, and the haphazard foreign travel policy.

The biggest driver now seems to be justifying the massive overreaction and damage wrought before the real economic consequences kick in with the Budget.

But I'll give you a prediction - I fully expect that schools reopening will be a mess with a lot of potential outbreaks (as every sniffle - of which there'll be many given it'll be September/October) and claims that the second wave has hit as was predicted and we did the right thing as a result.
    But, as is the case now, when you dig a bit deeper and discover a lot of false positives and that most people are still not significantly impacted by the virus even if they do get it, the true story won't be quite as supportive of the responses.

And you believe those in your camp don't do exactly the same including the characters who throw around the "curtain twitchers", "fearmongerers", "hysteria merchants", "clappy seals" type juvenile moronic terms like confetti at a wedding? You might want to watch your step when you get off your own high horse there.

But Kaiser, as much as I hate it, Kildare has had high numbers all week. Even ignoring the massive numbers of 90 and 110 from the meat factory clusters last weekend that triggered this, Kildare has still averaged around 20 daily for the rest of the week. That's high.

So if you are going on a by county approach, which the Govt is for simplicity's sake, and that's all the data that's being presented to the public, Kikdare is high.

Now if they started to focus down on localities within counties, and suddenly it shows that nearly every case was within 5/10km of a source and that away from them it was minimal, then there's a strong case to ignore it. But that data (if it exists which a lot of us suspect) is not being presented (we're not getting numbers by town), and the Govt is not acting on it (maybe they know its not clustered).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

But this pr1ck will have 3 holidays at least this year, one of them in Italy- it makes your blood boil -]

Begrudgery.

Live with your own decisions. Not everyone is listening to RTE hysteria 24/7 and living in fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Surely you can understand that people don’t want to risk getting this virus or spreading it around.

Fair enough you think the government are overreacting to it. But to be fair this virus has killed 765,000 people around the world if I’m not mistaken, in almost every country. Over 1700 in Ireland are dead, I think with when it’s something as serious as that the ONLY thing people should be doing is following the advice of the medical experts.

I don’t believe the govt want any county to be in lockdown, the amount of money that is being borrowed will be crippling to our country. The govt know this, I can’t think of a single reason the govt would want a lockdown anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Kaiser - because there was a risk of accommodation or activity providers where we were travelling to saying Sorry you shouldnt be here, or of other guests reacting badly. For those not getting detail about the outbreak, Kildare sounds like plague central

Oh yeah, one other thing the forecast for the South was ****é. The idea of facing down hassle, stress, checkpoints, guilt to just sit looking out a window at rain sideways was too much.

Glorious evening yesterday in Maynooth and again this evening, and will be enjoying drinks on the green with remaining neighbours (socially distanced of course later). Seen that Cork flooded.

Now that's a cause for smugness Facehugger

And you believe those in your camp don't do exactly the same including the characters who throw around the "curtain twitchers" "fearmongerers" "hysteria merchants" "clappy seals" type juvenile moronic terms like confetti at a wedding? You might want to watch your step when you get off your own high horse there.

See, that's the other thing that happens in these discussions - this juvenile "us vs them", "your camp, their camp" stuff. Attack anyone not on "my side"

Ultimately we're all on the same side here John. Let's be honest.., no-one wants to see people die, see loved ones or friends get seriously sick, or see people suffer emotionally or have their livelihoods destroyed.

Where the gaps lie are around ideology. Some people need the comfort of expert opinions and analysis, and to have someone tell them what needs to be done. Nothing wrong with that - it IS a scary time for many people and that's completely understandable - especially for those with medical issues or who are in the most vulnerable category.

But no-one on "this side" is saying "screw those people!" What they're saying is that our response needs to be targeted to where it can do the most benefit, but that the medical factor isn't the only factor we need to consider here.

The reality is that there a lot of people out there now suffering stress, hardship, uncertainty and just as much fear. Fear of how they'll provide for their family if their job goes or doesn't come back, or when the pandemic payment inevitably has to be stopped. Loneliness and isolation because they haven't seen friends or loved ones in months in some cases, depression etc etc.

These are just as real and important as "the virus". The good news is that if we actually regain some perspective we can start to look after both groups and far more effectively than we are now.

But Kaiser, as much as I hate it, Kildare has had high numbers all week. Even ignoring the massive numbers of 90 and 110 from the meat factory clusters last weekend that triggered this, Kildare has still averaged around 20 daily for the rest of the week. That's high.

So if you are going on a by county approach, which the Govt is for simplicity's sake, and that's all the data that's being presented to the public, Kikdare is high.

Now if they started to focus down on localities within counties, and suddenly it shows that nearly every case was within 5/10km of a source and that away from them it was minimal, then there's a strong case to ignore it. But that data (if it exists which a lot of us suspect) is not being presented (we're not getting numbers by town), and the Govt is not acting on it (maybe they know its not clustered).

I think you might be on to something there Pat. It's the same as how they're lumping Laois and Offally into the "others" in the news reports in the last few days despite surely knowign that people in those counties WANT/NEED to know what's happening.

But, when people dig into the detail, it seems that any case for keeping those isolated is rapidly diminishing.
    Oh yeah, one other thing the forecast for the South was ****é. The idea of facing down hassle, stress, checkpoints, guilt to just sit looking out a window at rain sideways was too much.

Glorious evening yesterday in Maynooth and again this evening, and will be enjoying drinks on the green with remaining neighbours (socially distanced of course later). Seen that Cork flooded.

Fair point. The fear out there IS very real and it's largely unwarranted but understandable nevertheless. It's the same reason I reckon that many are going along with the mask-wearing (that and the threat of fines/jail). It's the less difficult road at the moment - but I'll bet that as soon as the penalties are gone, so too will most of the masks

It's a very humid hazy day here in Laois at the moment. Think despite everything, we're getting the best of the weekend. Mate went to Galway (not from the 3 counties) and has done nothing but give out :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

when people dig into the detail, it seems that any case for keeping those isolated is rapidly diminishing.)

Isn't that exactly the plan?

I think you might be on to something there Pat. It's the same as how they're lumping Laois and Offally into the "others" in the news reports in the last few days despite surely knowign that people in those counties WANT/NEED to know what's happening.

But, when people dig into the detail, it seems that any case for keeping those isolated is rapidly diminishing.

Fair point. The fear out there IS very real and it's largely unwarranted but understandable nevertheless. It's the same reason I reckon that many are going along with the mask-wearing (that and the threat of fines/jail). It's the less difficult road at the moment - but I'll bet that as soon as the penalties are gone, so too will most of the masks

It's a very humid hazy day here in Laois at the moment. Think despite everything, we're getting the best of the weekend. Mate went to Galway (not from the 3 counties) and has done nothing but give out :)

I will bet that you`re wrong. Even if and when Covid -19 is eliminated from society it makes perfect sense from a health perspective to wear masks and now that the culture of wearing them is becoming ingrained I believe they are rightfully here to stay in the long term.

Rock77 wrote: »
    Surely you can understand that people don’t want to risk getting this virus or spreading it around.

Fair enough you think the government are overreacting to it. But to be fair this virus has killed 765,000 people around the world if I’m not mistaken, in almost every country. Over 1700 in Ireland are dead, I think with when it’s something as serious as that the ONLY thing people should be doing is following the advice of the medical experts.

1700 deaths. Over 6 months. Many of whom had underlying conditions and elderly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that these people don't matter and that I don't have sympathy for them and their families - but at the same time, deaths were inevitable, and happen every day for a whole variety of reasons.

We don't ban or severely restrict driving because people die or get hurt every year. We don't enforce lockdowns during regular flu season in the winter months. It's ultimately about risk management and proportionality. We cannot save everyone.
    I don’t believe the govt want any county to be in lockdown, the amount of money that is being borrowed will be crippling to our country. The govt know this, I can’t think of a single reason the govt would want a lockdown anywhere in Ireland.

I think the Government started off well. Lockdown was absolutely the right response in March/April. Where they went wrong (and it's no surprise) was having a weak populist in Leo Vardakar who is more concerned about his own profile and being in the media (as he is now giving snippets and talking out of turn at every opportunity - just as he did under Enda Kenny too), effectively handing over all the decisions to NPHET and Tony H for weeks thereafter.

NPHET have a valuable part to play absolutely. But they're looking at it from just one angle as doctors whose creed is "do no harm". Their aim is to get cases to zero. An admirable goal we all share, but not realistic at a national level with the myriad of economic and social factors involved and where no vaccine exists.

This is why lockdown was only intended to get attention and buy time when it was implemented - not as a long-term measure. But because Leo and his Government had an eye on the new Government formation, and fearful of taking a decision that might be wrong, it wasn't until dissent started within FG that he finally agreed to reopen the country to a wider degree.

The decisions here have been a mix of medical and political - but the wider context of the needs of those most affected in non-medical ways has not really factored. But it will! Leo has again already started hinting that the approach will need to change as the Budget approaches.

Expect lots of changes wrapped in nice reassuring tones of how well we're doing but whose real aim to to (potentially too belatedly) try to prevent the country going off an economic cliff entirely.

I will bet that you`re wrong. Even if and when Covid -19 is eliminated from society it makes perfect sense from a health perspective to wear them and now that the culture of wearing them is becoming ingrained I believe they are rightfully here to stay in the long term.

So just that I'm clear. Your advocacy for masks is more that you feel we should get used to having to wear them anyway - even when CV-19 is finally beaten?

Why on earth would you want that? Are you that fearful of others? That's a frankly astounding position to take IMO

Graham wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly the plan?

Indeed, though I reckon it's 50/50 as to whether they'll try to extend it another while at the end of next week.

But as I'll keep saying here, the wrong numbers are being used to drive the decisions. Number of new cases just tells us someone caught the virus. If those people start increasingly ending up in hospital or worse - then we have a significant problem.

But thankfully all the evidence to-date shows that this isn't happening despite the (rest of the) country being more open than it's been since this started.

In other words, it was a kneejerk overreaction by an acting CMO caught in the headlights of increasing daily cases that has been pretty much immediately proven to be unfounded - certainly for 2 out of the 3 counties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So just that I'm clear. Your advocacy for masks is more that you feel we should get used to having to wear them anyway - even when CV-19 is finally beaten?

Why on earth would you want that? Are you that fearful of others? That's a frankly astounding position to take IMO

May make sense to wear them if you are out and about in shops or on public transport etc + you are coming down with cold or flu.
    Think that was what people who had the 'mask' habit in some Asian countries were doing before all this kicked off (as well as wearing them due to pollution).
    I always thought it was mad/over the top myself (and seemed very strange to see Asians living here doing it sometimes), but seems like it might be quite sensible in hindsight. :pac:

• Advertisement

What you claim is "astounding" I believe is common sense. Anything that helps to reduce the spread of any transmissible illness is a good thing. No doubt you will claim there is no evidence for this or that it is a form of "control". Anyway I leave you to your "beliefs".

Advertisement