Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I agree 100%

They should at least be given the opportunity to open to prove they can comply with the measures.... And anyone not complying should be given a mandatory shut down period.

Exactly that would be the sensible approach,we can forget this government doing that though

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah but almost everyone reported a two week restriction. Seems like the 16 days were decided on last weekend but they decided not to tell anyone.

Little kiddo was due to be christened on Saturday and the whole thing is now cancelled because some greedy prick in a meat factory decided it would be a good idea to test all the workers but send them all back into work while they wait for the results.

Bastards should be prosecuted.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep. When it was announced on Friday 7th, they said on TV for 2 weeks but the legislation was until midnight 23rd - so an extra weekend tacked on.

Why? Never explained, but a big impact on people's and businesses since that's the last weekend before schools return. And Donnelly on Newstalk this morning saying thats still the plan. I really can't see why Laois and Offaly can't be given at least that weekend back, especially if numbers over next few days there remain low.

Looking at numbers, imalso concerned that Kildare gets an extension. But that'd push it into the all important school reopenings, and lead to lots of concerns there. Interesting decision for them to make:
    Lift restrictions in Kildare, despite numbers above their threshold but allows for schools to reopen

Extend restrictions, but allow schools to reopen and face a barrage from concerned parents, unions etc

Extend restrictions, and keep schools in Kildare closed, and miss their own all important yardstick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

With Kildare effectively being the Wuhan of Ireland at present its hard to see how they'd lift restrictions come next Monday. It'll have to be an extension until the numbers start getting in line the with national averages again. Anything else is totally counter the govts policy. What are we? 8 times the average still?

The pubs are serving outside where they can and thats the best they can hope for imho. If they feel they should be open they only need to look at the scenes from their colleagues pubs over the weekend. That will happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Little kiddo was due to be christened on Saturday and the whole thing is now cancelled because some greedy prick in a meat factory decided it would be a good idea to test all the workers but send them all back into work while they wait for the results.

You're in lockdown because of the hysterical overreaction of NPHET and the cowardice of the government.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're in lockdown because of the hysterical overreaction of NPHET and the cowardice of the government.

And ya know, cases of Coronavirus being significantly higher than the national figures. ;)

Graham wrote: »
    And ya know, cases of Coronavirus being significantly higher than the national figures. ;)

Where though?

Have way through the link below you'll see about a GP in Kilcullen reporting no new cases, and that they positives being returned now are confined to cluster areas

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0817/1159547-nphet-covid-19/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Patser wrote: »
    you'll see about a GP in Kilcullen reporting no new cases, and that they positives being returned now are confined to cluster areas

Do GPs have oversight of all cases in their counties?

Either way, good news for Kilcullen. Maybe the restrictions will become more localised if they're still needed after the next review.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Graham wrote: »

'significantly higher'

Ohhh scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Stephen Donnelly "hopefull" restrictions will be lifted this weekend, I'm not terribly "hopefull" of his and this governments performance to date. So many mixed messages, various medical experts at clear odds with current approach. Thank god there's small numbers of hospitalisations, the only truth coming out of government seems to be what would happ if there was a surge in admissions, it would be catastrophic, not helped by the fact the last government essentially closed down public hospitals, most of which are barely functioning at present.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

So financially speaking yet again it's the hospitality sector that have to bear the brunt of the hardship because of the failings of other sectors

So much for the publicans having a strong lobby group. Their day is done and politicians know it.
    The meat industry however..... So obvious that the normal rules do not apply. I can see how ceasing for a few weeks would affect their supply chain (or more likely their local monopoly /stranglehold on farmers re prices offered) but seeing as their working conditions or their workers' living conditions (which is a direct reflection of their employers terms) are the root cause of our collective misery, they should be 1. dealt with efficiently and correctly and 2. punished and made an example of. That's the whole point of compliance frameworks. If you don't use the stick on a few, there will never be enough resources to enforce the common good.

And so we'll continue to rot. While they make money off rotting flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

With Kildare effectively being the Wuhan of Ireland at present its hard to see how they'd lift restrictions come next Monday. It'll have to be an extension until the numbers start getting in line the with national averages again. Anything else is totally counter the govts policy. What are we? 8 times the average still?

The pubs are serving outside where they can and thats the best they can hope for imho. If they feel they should be open they only need to look at the scenes from their colleagues pubs over the weekend. That will happen again.

Matt Dunne used to use the very old twee saying about Monasterevin to describe it as the 'Venice of Ireland'. Depends on your approach angle!! A fine riverside architectural vista in its day but....Certainly not past Soon Fat's pleasure dome.
    But you could get a job for the Russian PsyOps Ministry with that tagline 'Kildare - The Wuhan of Ireland'....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive just come from Dunes Stores in Newbridge and its very busy, i went to buy something from the open salad bar and there was a man with no mask leaning into the thing to try and see what was on offer,literally hovering over every selection.
    No way i was going to buy after that, i considering saying something to him but instead informed a manager.
    A short while later the manager approached me to inform me the mas has a medical condition, ok i said fair enough but myself and a few more were turned right off buying form this salad bar.
    She then said he is particularly contrary when he is approached about it and is a regular and been approached a number of times before.
    Her words "theres no talking to him and he is a scruffy so and so"

I left wondering if he is allowed to just ignore the rules because of his medical condition or are they refusing to cross him as he is "particularly contrary".

Far from an ideal scenario for shoppers, management and security alike.

On the way out my wife spotted him getting into a taxi with no mask while the driver was wearing one.

I'd say Lads in Moneygall won't know whether to laugh or cry if Offaly has restrictions lifted as Tipp enters them

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Golden and Tipp town would be having restrictions imposed.

gral6 wrote: »
    Golden and Tipp town would be having restrictions imposed.

There'd be civil war in Laois if Laois county stayed in full restrictions while only localities in Tipp were picked.

Also, more bad news for Tipp, meat factory jn Cahir

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40033649.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive just come from Dunes Stores in Newbridge and its very busy, i went to buy something from the open salad bar and there was a man with no mask leaning into the thing to try and see what was on offer,literally hovering over every selection.
    No way i was going to buy after that, i considering saying something to him but instead informed a manager.
    A short while later the manager approached me to inform me the mas has a medical condition, ok i said fair enough but myself and a few more were turned right off buying form this salad bar.
    She then said he is particularly contrary when he is approached about it and is a regular and been approached a number of times before.

I left wondering if he is allowed to just ignore the rules because of his medical condition or are they refusing to cross him as he is "particularly contrary".

On the way out my wife spotted him getting into a taxi with no mask while the driver was wearing one.
    I always look out my window before I go outside. If I see someone not wearing a mask, I’ll stay at home.

I always look out my window before I go outside. If I see someone not wearing a mask, I’ll stay at home.

Funny guy

There's something very odd going on when numbers being released, press conferences (lack of) and today NPHET not having one after today's meeting, over the past two weeks it's gone from 5.30pm till after 6pm before numbers being released. The cynic in mean thinks there's a definite instruction from government to change the dynamics, lessen the impact etc and in some respects allow politicians take over narrative. Meanwhile the minister for education has ess gone into lockdown herself, not a whisper. Total focus now on schools opening and if RTE'S reporting from a secondary school preparing earlier is anything to go by, I give at most two weeks when schools closed again. It's 6.20pm, still no figures.

• Advertisement

56 cases, 0 deaths Kildare still on top with 26, Offaly and Laois in others again...

0 in Tipp? Tipp to get massive number tomorrow and lockdown is my guess - there was no chance to make that announcement today as cabinet and NPHET were already meeting, but they'll be prepped for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

56 cases, 0 deaths Kildare still on top with 26, Offaly and Laois in others again...

0 in Tipp? Tipp to get massive number tomorrow and lockdown is my guess - there was no chance to make that announcement today as cabinet and NPHET were already meeting, but they'll be prepped for tomorrow

Where can I see the county breakdowns?

Where can I see the county breakdowns?

The journal but others not broken down, very good interactive map on rte.ie breaks down county by county

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I really don’t understand people like you? You can’t control the actions of others to any great extent. All you can do is control yours- which would mean you stay away from Dunnes and get your groceries delivered online. They’ll even leave them on the doorstep so no human interaction needed.
    If it was me and I was that bothered that’s what I’d be doing. Going running to managers etc is actually increasing your interactions and close contacts! I really don’t get it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah but almost everyone reported a two week restriction. Seems like the 16 days were decided on last weekend but they decided not to tell anyone.

+1

And workers living 10 in a house during a virus ?

They should be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This "medical condition" nonsense has to stop. There is no reason why everybody can't wear a mask. This clause is giving people like him a "valid" excuse not to wear one when there really is none. I've been in Italy for over 3 weeks now and only once have I seen someone not wearing one inside. Walks in to order a takeaway pizza, they told him to get out as he didn't have a mask, he said he forgot it. They told him again so he left and came back wearing it 15 minutes later. From what I can see there has been 100% compliance here, without complaints (which is unusual for Italy). Incidentally, a law has come into force today making it mandatory to wear a mask outdoors from 6 pm to 6 am. I've been out now and so far everyone has one.

So it can be done, and in this heat too. The Irish need to cop tf on.

They were meeting today in order to develop recommendations to bring to government - so either 9am news tonight or first thing tomorrow morning- somethings afoot alright- there’s more “controls” coming- you can sense it.
    I’d say they’ll extend Kildare lockdown and maybe add other counties like Limerick or Clare amongst other recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Can we impose restrictions on NPHET? There are good at nothing anyway.

road_high wrote: »
    I really don’t understand people like you? You can’t control the actions of others to any great extent. All you can do is control yours- which would mean you stay away from Dunnes and get your groceries delivered online. They’ll even leave them on the doorstep so no human interaction needed.
    If it was me and I was that bothered that’s what I’d be doing. Going running to managers etc is actually increasing your interactions and close contacts! I really don’t get it

People like me? Please explain.

What is it you dont understand?

Going running to manager? Huge exaggeration there im afraid, i simply told the manager who was close by and we both kept our distance, whats your problem with that?
    Are you saying i was wrong to inform a manager?

• Advertisement

gral6 wrote: »
    Can we impose restrictions on NPHET? There are good at nothing anyway.

NPHET a chance in hell :)

Advertisement