Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

This "medical condition" nonsense has to stop. There is no reason why everybody can't wear a mask. This clause is giving people like him a "valid" excuse not to wear one when there really is none. I've been in Italy for over 3 weeks now and only once have I seen someone not wearing one inside. Walks in to order a takeaway pizza, they told him to get out as he didn't have a mask, he said he forgot it. They told him again so he left and came back wearing it 15 minutes later. From what I can see there has been 100% compliance here, without complaints (which is unusual for Italy). Incidentally, a law has come into force today making it mandatory to wear a mask outdoors from 6 pm to 6 am. I've been out now and so far everyone has one.

So it can be done, and in this heat too. The Irish need to cop tf on.
    So if you go for a walk on a Italian beach , you have to wear a mask, but only during specific hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They were meeting today in order to develop recommendations to bring to government - so either 9am news tonight or first thing tomorrow morning- somethings afoot alright- there’s more “controls” coming- you can sense it.
    I’d say they’ll extend Kildare lockdown and maybe add other counties like Limerick or Clare amongst other recommendations

Definitely something afoot, with late reporting, no press conference tonight. I agree Kildare definitely extending and Tipp likely to be joining them, will be very odd with offaly and laois bang in the middle of the two, kind of getting as silly. Rural and no food, very doubtful they'll be reopening anytime soon and I suspect there will be continuous restrictions for business's in Laois and offaly (just a guess)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This "medical condition" nonsense has to stop. There is no reason why everybody can't wear a mask. This clause is giving people like him a "valid" excuse not to wear one when there really is none. I've been in Italy for over 3 weeks now and only once have I seen someone not wearing one inside. Walks in to order a takeaway pizza, they told him to get out as he didn't have a mask, he said he forgot it. They told him again so he left and came back wearing it 15 minutes later. From what I can see there has been 100% compliance here, without complaints (which is unusual for Italy). Incidentally, a law has come into force today making it mandatory to wear a mask outdoors from 6 pm to 6 am. I've been out now and so far everyone has one.

So it can be done, and in this heat too. The Irish need to cop tf on.

Yep. Any wiggle room and the Irish exploit it. Needs to just be a solid law. Its the same gobshíttery with the 14 day quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dcully wrote: »
    People like me? Please explain.

What is it you dont understand?

Going running to manager? Huge exaggeration there im afraid, i simply told the manager who was close by and we both kept our distance, whats your problem with that?
    Are you saying i was wrong to inform a manager?

Self explanatory- people "worrying" about others not wearing masks etc but all the while you're out yourself in public exposing yourself potentially.
    Personal responsibility would take over here if you were that worried- you'd be at home and get the shopping delivered- no human interaction= greatly reduced risks and therefore no uncontrollable "so and so's".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. Any wiggle room and the Irish exploit it. Needs to just be a solid law. Its the same gobshíttery with the 14 day quarantine.

We need to move to the next phase where we start taking non-compliant citizens and Boards miscreants up on helicopter rides over Dublin Bay and then just dispatch them. It worked for the Argentinians. We can just say a door fell off if there's any follow-up. But most of them will have no friends, not even a shadow, as they fight them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

road_high wrote: »
    Self explanatory- people "worrying" about others not wearing masks etc but all the while you're out yourself in public exposing yourself potentially.
    Personal responsibility would take over here if you were that worried- you'd be at home and get the shopping delivered- no human interaction= greatly reduced risks and therefore no uncontrollable "so and so's".

Sure if we all took that attitude where would we be?
    Your just clutching at straws for the sake of argument.

Off to hibernation i go lol

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The guards were checking people on the round about just off the m7 near kildare village yesterday.... And kildare village was very busy.
    I seen check points there at the Kildare village at the start of last week and they were also set up at Junction 14 too. Havent seen anything since tho

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I know it's probably been mentioned on the thread already but please save me going back through 146 pages.
    Are the restrictions due to be lifted at midnight Friday, Saturday or Sunday? I've heard all three being mentioned.
    Thanking you.

Cancel that, started at last page and worked back, 16 days not 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I seen check points there at the Kildare village at the start of last week and they were also set up at Junction 14 too. Havent seen anything since tho

They have been driving off road around the curragh checking the number plates of cars parked to see if they are locals too.

Cazale wrote: »
    They have been driving off road around the curragh checking the number plates of cars parked to see if they are locals too.
    Can the guards really stop people from leaving the county there from Kildare/Laois/Offaly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Can the guards really stop people from leaving the county?

Legally the guards can do absolutely nothing as far as I am aware.

Happy to be corrected if someone can point to an official source

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Feria40 wrote: »
    Legally the guards can do absolutely nothing as far as I am aware.

Happy to be corrected if someone can point to an official source

Your correct, they've confirmed this themselves, no enforcement powers regarding travel but they do retain enforcement powers for breaches of health act, face masks on public transport etc, what is bizzare though, they have enforcement powers against pubs breaching but have none for house parties as they are on private property.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So if you go for a walk on a Italian beach , you have to wear a mask, but only during specific hours?

It applies more to streets, piazzas, parks, etc. Also, all discotheques are closed until at least September 7th. That was becoming a cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Yes, it is a simple request. If you have any difficulty with this, then do not go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Here we go, a good bit more evidence of how blunt on unnecessary the County wide restrictions were. Clusters were incredibly localised. Offaly minus Edenderry was almost clear but whole county affected, Laois was concentrated in Portlaoise, Portarlington area, even Kildare you can see huge numbers all around Kildare Town and Naas but much less everywhere else

https://mobile.twitter.com/joeneville2010/status/1295627630486618113/photo/1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Patser wrote: »
    Here we go, a good bit more evidence of how blunt on unnecessary the County wide restrictions were. Clusters were incredibly localised. Offaly minus Edenderry was almost clear but whole county affected, Laois was concentrated in Portlaoise, Portarlington area, even Kildare you can see huge numbers all around Kildare Town and Naas but much less everywhere else

https://mobile.twitter.com/joeneville2010/status/1295627630486618113/photo/1

If we could have hindsight in advance it would make targeting restrictions much easier.

Graham wrote: »
    If we could have hindsight in advance it would make targeting restrictions much easier.

If those making decisions could alter their advice as information came available we'd have a lot more adherence to advice

If those making decisions could alter their advice as information came available we'd have a lot more adherence to advice

:confused: Advice/restrictions have changed over time and are likely to continue to do so.

:confused: Advice/restrictions have changed over time and are likely to continue to do so.

10 days in to these restrictions, and Offaly and Laois are seeing no easing despite all evidence above that their rate of infection is not much higher than other counties, especially if the incredibly localised clusters (see Edenderry in map above) are removed. Restricting whole counties, just because it's easy, does not make people follow the advice, but does affect businesses in a widespread unaffected area.

Stephen Donnelly yesterday, was still sticking steadfastly to the timetable - what changes have you seen to the restrictions/advice given in relation to this thread have you seen?

10 days in to these restrictions, and Offaly and Laois are seeing no easing despite all evidence above that their rate of infection is not much higher than other counties

Given the length of time it take for new cases to become evident I don't think it's reasonable to expect restrictions change on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

Given the length of time it take for new cases to become evident I don't think it's reasonable to expect restrictions change on a daily basis.

I'd disagree that givem the mapping of infections, restrictions should have been lifted on wide sections of areas currently under them but in no way local to the clusters. Refusing to react to the information publicly available, just makes people ignore the advice.

I'd disagree that givem the mapping of infections, restrictions should have been lifted on wide sections of areas currently under them but in no way local to the clusters. Refusing to react to the information publicly available, just makes people ignore the advice.

Goes back to the hindsight thing.

You can't accurately map what you don't yet know.

We can't seriously expect decisions to be made and advice altered on a daily basis in response to daily changes in numbers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The absolute minimum length of time a localised restriction will last for is 14 days.

There is simply no way of knowing if the first cluster outbreak is the cause of a more significant outbreak until at least 14 days after the cluster is identified.

Goes back to the hindsight thing.

You can't accurately map what you don't yet know.

We can't seriously expect decisions to be made and advice altered on a daily basis in response to daily changes in numbers.

I understand that when information is new, and you have to react, you restrict movement in as wide an area as you think is neccesary. I'm not arguing that hindsight is great.

But now that the information is available, and has been since August 12th (last date on map), that the clusters were localised to areas, not reacting now and persisting in a 16 day (3 weekend) restriction period in areas nowhere near infection sites is counterproductive. Banagher is 70km from Edenderry but facing same restrictions as there, because a crude device was used initially as a precaution. Rathdowney 40km from Portlaoise, it's nearest cluster, Celbridge (with negligible numbers) over 20 from Naas.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The absolute minimum length of time a localised restriction will last for is 14 days.

There is simply no way of knowing if the first cluster outbreak is the cause of a more significant outbreak until at least 14 days after the cluster is identified.

As above, no issue with 14 (16 days in this case), issue is more with what is 'local'

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Has there been any indication on whether the lockdown/restrictions will be extended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Jimi H wrote: »
    Has there been any indication on whether the lockdown/restrictions will be extended?

I think Offaly and Laois will be eased. Not Kildare though. I mean how could they justify that? It would be a total u turn. I'd assume restrictions would need to be in place until the figures are low enough to justify it. Kildare is way above the national average currently , 8 times was the last figure I saw.

My assumption and it's a total guess really is that Kildare could well be extended by 2 weeks this weekend. But then again what NPHET and the Govt decide to do is totally unpredictable. They seems to be making it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Jimi H wrote: »

None really but I would be surprised if Kildare lockdown was not extended based on their figures. Likewise I would surprised if Laois was not removed. Offaly, who cares :p

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Aurelian

So are Laois people supposed to be freed at Midnight Friday or Sunday? I'd really like to leave the county on Saturday and see conflicting dates in different places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Aurelian wrote: »
    So are Laois people supposed to be freed at Midnight Friday or Sunday? I'd really like to leave the county on Saturday and see conflicting dates in different places.

The (theoretical - as the Gardai have no power to enforce them) movement restrictions are in place until midnight Sunday/Monday

Advertisement