Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Yeah I’m from Kildare and expecting it to be extended but was hoping someone would say otherwise haha. I’m not near any of the clusters and it seems that everyone is wearing masks but I think there’s a general feeling that more should be done about the meat factories and centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Butterbeans

I think Offaly and Laois will be eased. Not Kildare though. I mean how could they justify that? It would be a total u turn. I'd assume restrictions would need to be in place until the figures are low enough to justify it. Kildare is way above the national average currently , 8 times was the last figure I saw.

My assumption and it's a total guess really is that Kildare could well be extended by 2 weeks this weekend. But then again what NPHET and the Govt decide to do is totally unpredictable. They seems to be making it up as they go along.

I don't actually see this being the case. If they lock down Kildare for a further 2 weeks, how can they push on with or justify the opening of schools in Kildare, which the government seem hellbent on doing across the board. They can do one or the other but not both and I think schools opening trumps a lockdown extension

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I don't actually see this being the case. If they lock down Kildare for a further 2 weeks, how can they push on with or justify the opening of schools in Kildare, which the government seem hellbent on doing across the board. They can do one or the other but not both and I think schools opening trumps a lockdown extension

I think Laois, Offaly OK but tipp will be locked down, joining kildare. I think it's becoming a bit of a farce now, is the best thing they can come up with, restricting the elderly again & restricting vistors to homes? sounds like there's some infighting going on between NEPHET and some ministers. Clutching at straws I think at this stage, there's only one thing on their minds, open the schools, everything else can wait

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Patser wrote: »
    I understand that when information is new, and you have to react, you restrict movement in as wide an area as you think is neccesary. I'm not arguing that hindsight is great.

But now that the information is available, and has been since August 12th (last date on map), that the clusters were localised to areas, not reacting now and persisting in a 16 day (3 weekend) restriction period in areas nowhere near infection sites is counterproductive. Banagher is 70km from Edenderry but facing same restrictions as there, because a crude device was used initially as a precaution. Rathdowney 40km from Portlaoise, it's nearest cluster, Celbridge (with negligible numbers) over 20 from Naas.

It really needs to be done on a radius basis.
    Edenderry is closer to Dublin than places like Birr, Banagher and Shinrone. All 3 had ZERO new infections from the figures released for June 12 to August 12, yet NPHET were happy to lock down the South Offaly region when people living there were no more likely to have it that people living in the rest of Leinster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The (theoretical - as the Gardai have no power to enforce them) movement restrictions are in place until midnight Sunday/Monday

I've heard that said a couple of times.

While there might be no penalty element, what's to stop Gardai arresting someone, taking them in for questioning and even moving onto prosecution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Graham wrote: »

While there might be no penalty element, what's to stop Gardai arresting someone, taking them in for questioning and even moving onto prosecution?

For what reason and under what law? There is no power of detainment for leaving your county. They can advise you to turn around but can’t stop you driving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Butterbeans

Graham wrote: »

On what grounds? Assuming the vehicle is up to date on tax, insurance and NCT and you're not concealing drugs or a body in the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Four workers at a Glanbia dairy processing plant in Co Kildare have tested positive for Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Four workers at a Glanbia dairy processing plant in Co Kildare have tested positive for Covid-19.

And the factory is still operational pending test result on other employees, we never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

masterK wrote: »
    And the factory is still operational pending test result on other employees, we never learn

Agreed its amazing to think after 5 months of this we still have no clear plan of what to do when an outbreak occurs in factories.

To continue operations with test results pending is absolutely ridiculous carry on.

It’s so god dam simple.

Known outbreak close the factory until everyone is tested

14 day minimum closure as this was the magic timeline all along.

Might get some compliance in some of the places where things are no being implemented properly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I suppose the local GAA clubs have been contacted to supply temporary staff aswell.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

It would be interesting to see the contact tracing results around how these people from different plants are getting infected.

What where the connections between Irish Dog foods, Glanbia, Kildare Chilling plant, O'Brien Fine Foods in Timahoe , etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It would be interesting to see the contact tracing results around how these people from different plants are getting infected.

What where the connections between Irish Dog foods, Glanbia, Kildare Chilling plant, O'Brien Fine Foods in Timahoe , etc......

Agreed, without having any proof at all I would strongly suspect staff in these plants are living together or at the very least in the same social groups.

I think the common denominator is likely HVAC mixed with cheap labour who may not have the best living conditions.

Not good, just watching news conference, idi I hear 190 new cases, not mention yet on restrictions in the 3 counties being lifted. One big question, WTF is Eamonn Ryan doing at these news conferences, mother of God he's completely useless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

I do wonder how much longer will people within these counties stick to request of staying within the county while others remain as is. I can’t see it

Very tense news conference, Michael Martin quite Tetchy and CMO looks very, very uncomfortable, No FG Ministers present, Intriguing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I got home from Italy today after seeing very good compliance of wearing masks. I went to Supervalu in Celbridge and it was very nice to see every single adult wearing masks, and wearing them properly too. The only ones not wearing them were kids, which is still something that should be addressed. Again, kids as young as 5 or so in Italy wear masks without any problems, so there really is no reason why kids here should be any different.

On a negative side, I stills saw gangs of teenagers sitting on walls without a care in the world for social distancing. The message needs to get across to them that this pattern of behaviour will not help anyone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Glynn saying LOK to be reviewed Thursday

190 new cases reported today.

• Advertisement

190 new cases reported today.

No breakdown of numbers yet by county. Will be interesting to see how Laois and Offaly compare today to Tipp and Carlow.

Also, if Kildare numbers remain high at this point, can it be said restrictions have failed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think the common denominator is likely HVAC mixed with cheap labour who may not have the best living conditions.

Working conditions in the Glanbia milk plant are good, very unionised, all staff local born and raised, no cheap furinors labour near the place

Actually here we go

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1295782555220955138

48 in Kildare, 46 in Dublin, 38 in Tipp, no mention of Laois or Offaly but probably in the 11 other counties

Patser wrote: »
    No breakdown of numbers yet by county. Will be interesting to see how Laois and Offaly compare today to Tipp and Carlow.

Also, if Kildare numbers remain high at this point, can it be said restrictions have failed

It depends on what "high" means. Today's 48 in Kildare, we can't say that that would not have been higher without the lockdown. It most probably would have been, given that there probably are some of the 14 community cases in Kildare. It's the great unknown; had the country not locked down in March, exactly how high would the curve have gone? The modelling shows pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Safe to say Kildare will be getting a lockdown extension on Friday? I'd be shocked if Laois and Offaly do. Although nothing these clowns do shock me anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Lundstram wrote: »
    Safe to say Kildare will be getting a lockdown extension on Friday?

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

I think it will be included in a national lockdown. The indo words are strong this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

Dempo1 wrote: »
    WTF is Eamonn Ryan doing at these news conferences, mother of God he's completely useless

I was embarrassed for him ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RayCon wrote: »
    I was embarrassed for him ...

Probably felt they should have one of the coalition leaders at it to show the idea of unity. Per the IT this morning, Leo and FG weren't at all happy with the decisions, so Eamon got the nod I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It really needs to be done on a radius basis.
    Edenderry is closer to Dublin than places like Birr, Banagher and Shinrone. All 3 had ZERO new infections from the figures released for June 12 to August 12, yet NPHET were happy to lock down the South Offaly region when people living there were no more likely to have it that people living in the rest of Leinster.

Well said Joe. Couldn't agree more.

Advertisement