Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

I've cancelled three trips so far this year. Have a 4 night break booked away for next week and I've been following the guidelines to-date and stayed in apart from exercise/food shopping since the Kildare lockdown was brought in, unlike some of our government overlords.

I'm not cancelling this break. Our little girl has only been to a beach once all summer. Fcuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

mojesius wrote: »
    I've cancelled three trips so far this year. Have a 4 night break booked away for next week and I've been following the guidelines to-date and stayed in apart from exercise/food shopping since the Kildare lockdown was brought in, unlike some of our government overlords.

I'm not cancelling this break. Our little girl has only been to a beach once all summer. Fcuk them.

I'm the same, took the advice and didn't go on a holiday to Greece so lost out on the price of the flights. Cancelled a staycation the week before last and a night away this week but have booked again for a few days next week. No way I'm missing out again.

Worst thing is there have been 5 cases in my electoral district since June 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

As a Kildare resident, obviously I’m not happy that we remain in lockdown. I am similarly dissatisfied with the governments performance with regard to meat factories and the nonsense over this golf dinner.

But I accept that Kildare has a higher prevalence and understand that despite clusters being the main driver, that these people don’t live on an island. These workers are part of our community and walk our streets and shop in our supermarkets, so we are all a risk. It’s worth highlighting yesterday’s findings of the SCOPI study too in terms of showing how asymptomatic individuals hugely outnumber the case numbers and were never tested. What that tells me is that if Kildare thinks it has 500 cases, it probably has 5000. I’ll comply with the measures and comply with any extension to protect the vulnerable, but I’d like to see some definitive action, better communication and a properly resources track and trace system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

It'll be very curious how they try to phrase the neccesity for this extension - they've had time to localise it why keep it county wide; telling everyone schools are ok while you still can't go see Granny across the county border; what they will have up their sleeve for businesses; how much they'll ASK for compliance by consent and how much they'll ENFORCE it; what they expect us to do differently this time to get different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Just keep your heads down Kildare people ! We are in it all together - your MM !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I genuinely don’t know what the point of extending the lockdown is anyway if it’s not being enforced. I didn’t come across a single checkpoint in the last fortnight. The only people suffering are the businesses once again.

And as I did in the last two weeks, I’ll continue to restrict my movements as much as I can but I will travel to my family in another county occasionally because the Americans, English etc continue to be let in and roam around wherever they like in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

My inlaws are from Kildare. The travel restriction to there is probably the only restriction I am assiduously following.

As a Kildare resident, obviously I’m not happy that we remain in lockdown. I am similarly dissatisfied with the governments performance with regard to meat factories and the nonsense over this golf dinner.

But I accept that Kildare has a higher prevalence and understand that despite clusters being the main driver, that these people don’t live on an island. These workers are part of our community and walk our streets and shop in our supermarkets, so we are all a risk. It’s worth highlighting yesterday’s findings of the SCOPI study too in terms of showing how asymptomatic individuals hugely outnumber the case numbers and were never tested. What that tells me is that if Kildare thinks it has 500 cases, it probably has 5000. I’ll comply with the measures and comply with any extension to protect the vulnerable, but I’d like to see some definitive action, better communication and a properly resources track and trace system.

I kinda see what you're saying, and have been following the guidelines so far - but just like what I've highlighted in bold - Kildare is not an island, it's a long drawn out county, surrounded on all sides by other counties but the magic county border seems to be expected to stop the virus if we all stay in.

As repeated over and over, places where outbreaks have happened as closer to towns across the borders than towns within Kildare that are facing restrictions - so Timahoe is closer to Enfield in Meath than anywhere else, Ballitore is on Wicklow border. So saying Enfield is ok, all systems go and Wicklow is fine - while Celbridge (with 3 cases in the 2 months lead up to lockdown) is riddled and needs to be shut down just makes a nonsense of this, and annoys the hell out of people well away from more affected areas.

Telling us that Maynooth has a massive spike in community spread (for example) and needs restrictions, would be 10 times more beneficial than saying all of Kildare is affected. It would focus the attention of the people living in that ares, and focus the efforts on stopping its spread there too - than allowing people to shrug it off while resources are spent operating checkpoints in Athy (again just an example, not based on known numbers) and testing people in Kill.

Prime example - the map of infections up to August 12th showed the single biggest cluster was around Kildare town, but all through the restrictions Kildare village shopping centre remained open and busy (with Gardaí frequently there and requesting people go back). If the news was out there more that Kildare Town was the hottest of hot spots, that would have dissuaded a lot more travel to there, then just a vague Kildare, Offaly and Laois have elevated rates across the counties

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's pointless so long as people are still commuting/working in Dublin (which isn't locked down) and other places, and while tourists and people from NI can come and go as they please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

How come they lockdown from the Friday night midnight however the restrictions arent eased until sunday night midnight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The GAA in Kildare should also press ahead with games.

Enough is enough at this stage.

Martin and Co need to answer us this,

Why should the people of Kildare stick to the guidelines when elected representatives do what they want?

Kimbot wrote: »
    How come they lockdown from the Friday night midnight however the restrictions arent eased until sunday night midnight?

Just to milk it for another weekend.

Let the meat factories reopen but stop lads having a game of football or hurling and stop families and friends having a BBQ in an outdoor ventilated space with social distancing being adhered too.

The theory would presumably be so social-purpose movement is restricted over the weekend when most would be off.

Of course it makes no sense as what's going to change between tonight and Sunday night? Or that travel restrictions aren't actually enforceable anyway.

The only thing it is doing is costing impacted business another weekend's trade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

It was stated when the restrictions were announced that they would be in force until 23rd August at the earliest.

Brain wave!!!!

What if we put a partition down the middle of Kildare!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It was stated when the restrictions were announced that they would be in force until 23rd August at the earliest.

The 5 phase roadmap was condensed after its announcement.
    My brother in law and his family (Offaly) have a break booked in Wexford that was due to start on Sunday. It looks like Offaly is getting out.
    The hotel have rang him and told he can come Monday. Again no logic here really. He will be no more of a danger Sunday than Monday.
    I suggested to him to check in at 00.01 on Monday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What I love is that it is a lockdown where people can travel to work in Dublin and from Dublin to here. I am not supposed to cross the border this week but next week I can sail across it to go to work as schools reopen and more than likely schools open in Kildare bringing teachers from different counties to work.

Lockdown what lockdown:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What time is the announcement?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What time is the announcement?

https://twitter.com/ashinekildare/status/1296781382220472321

Chamber of commerce more or less confirming it. Plan A has failed, try more plan A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Wtaf. Send all the kids back to schools without proper social distancing but we can’t leave the damn county? I wanted to get one last chance to see both grandparents before we go back to school. God damn it there’s been one case in my electoral area since JUNE last time I checked. I’m literally 100m from the Meath border. Grr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Wtaf. Send all the kids back to schools without proper social distancing but we can’t leave the damn county? I wanted to get one last chance to see both grandparents before we go back to school. God damn it there’s been one case in my electoral area since JUNE last time I checked. I’m literally 100m from the Meath border. Grr

That situation wouldn't have cost me a thought.

Go for it. Unless something changes in the announcement, the travel restrictions aren't actually enforceable by AGS anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Go for it. Unless something changes in the announcement, the travel restrictions aren't actually enforceable by AGS anyway

My other half is wonderfully law abiding as are my in-laws. I’m probably at the point of breaking things at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

My other half is wonderfully law abiding as are my in-laws. I’m probably at the point of breaking things at this stage

Have to agree with Kaiser it wouldn't stop me either.
    Wear a face mask when you get there if it makes the inlaws and wife happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Go visit. I took my kids yesterday out of the county. I had booked something for them pre the last round of restrictions. We have abided by everything else but I thought feck it. Had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

phil Hogan staying in the k club apparently....lockdown for the plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Still no announcement!

Wonder what the hold up is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Still no announcement!

There's probably a very "lively" meeting occurring between FF and their coalition partners. Presumably they'll announce it in time for/during the 6.1 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Still no announcement!

They're trying to get the spin just right.

• Advertisement

Still no announcement!

Just trying to let publicans etc order in some fresh stock for early next week so they can really screw them over.

Advertisement