Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

Patser wrote: »
    They are being very selective with the information being released to justify county wide restrictions.

https://ibb.co/vqJ8ZxG

Dr Glynn saying there is few electerol districts without a case, and the dept sending out the map above to justify it by showing all areas that had at least 1 case over 2 weeks - but they won't say how many in each. The map available to show cases until August 12th, showed Celbridge with 3 cases over 2 months - a miniscule amount - but would still be an ominous dark shade on the map the Dept used above

Edit: map and metrics are available to see at end of this statement

https://www.gov.ie/ga/preasraitis/cb558-statement-on-the-continuation-of-public-health-measures-for-kildare/

Absolute honesty and clarity is the only way they'll win hearts and minds.

I can understand if a village only has 1 case, that you wouldn't highlight that as it would, in my humble opinion, be unfair to the individual who was infected, and better that statistic is rolled up into a more general statistic- but there's still a lot they could say and information they could provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think that ship has sailed now with the events in Galway the other night. The Government will be lucky to survive this, especially if reopening schools later in the week turns out to be a fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

I can understand if a village only has 1 case, that you wouldn't highlight that as it would, in my humble opinion, be unfair to the individual who was infected, and better that statistic is rolled up into a more general statistic- but there's still a lot they could say and information they could provide.

Agreed about individual, but a shading of <5, 5-20, 30+ would be instructive, but would probably diminish their advice and put pressure on them, as it highlighted the unfairness of the measures

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Patser wrote: »
    Agreed about individual, but a shading of <5, 5-20, 30+ would be instructive, but would probably diminish their advice and put pressure on them, as it highlighted the unfairness of the measures

If people had all the data, they might start to question governments actions... So it it very clear why any data released is kept vague.

In the daily stats, there is no reason the community transmission numbers per county couldn't be released... Never happens tho, just the head number (which is often a 3-4 day backlog as was the case on Tuesday when then introduced new restrictions along side a large number)

Agree, that's what I was saying too.

Their advice is inherently unfair, they've admitted it themselves that it is a blunt instrument. They are impacting on people and businesses across broad areas that are unnecessary, and while that can be understandable, in an initial reaction to an emerging problem that needs quick action to stop - so you move quickly to stop an emergency - it becomes less and less effective as people start to ignore it and question why?

Again the best example is that Offaly was entirely affected for an outbreak in Edenderry only (which is in a corner of the county). Grand, you get info there's an outbreak in Offaly - quick implement restrictions to stop it. When the info is available 4 days later this is incredibly localised, then focus your attention and resources there and reduce the impact on other areas.

Instead they are releasing skewed info to justify their decisions, when people are openly questioning and ignoring them. It's boy who cried wolf territory, and will diminish the impact of future decisions.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    If people had all the data, they might start to question governments actions... So it it very clear why any data released is kept vague.

I know what you're saying but i don't necessarily agree. There was a good pool of "good will" there over the summer months. The recent golf-gate has truly put an end to that good will.

As i said earlier, I'm happy for my area/town/village to be locked down for a few weeks if required- even if the rest of the county can come/go as they please- just clearly explain to us why- we're being treated like children here; in fact, I take that back- that's an insult to children- as Alan Dukes said earlier this week, even they would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

So while your all in lockdown it turns out Big Phil was stopped in Kildare on his mobile phone before being allowed by Guards to continue onto Galway for golf tournament.

God help any Guard who tries to stop residents of Kildare at Covid checkpoint after this!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

appledrop wrote: »
    So while your all in lockdown it turns out Big Phil was stopped in Kildare on his mobile phone before being allowed by Guards to continue onto Galway for golf tournament.

God help any Guard who tries to stop residents of Kildare at Covid checkpoint after this!

Should the Gardai have prevented Hogan from continuing to Galway?
    Under what legislation?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Should the Gardai have prevented Hogan from continuing to Galway?
    Under what legislation?

They certainly should have "advised" him not to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

coming from kilkenny through kildare, no reason to stop him but should have fined him for the use of the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They certainly should have "advised" him not to

There was no reason whatsoever for them to give that advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Ireland is a banana republic. The garda left him off after breaking the law. What a joke this country is. The ordinary citizen would never get away with this. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

teednab-el wrote: »
    Ireland is a banana republic. The garda left him off after breaking the law. What a joke this country is. The ordinary citizen would never get away with this. Joke.

No he didn't. He informed his superiors and it went right to the top. In fact Drew Harris informed the justice minister, who informed the taoiseach.

If Hogan was willing to blatantly lie to the government in telling them he went directly from Kilkenny to Galway, he wouldn't be averse to telling a Garda a few porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Beltby wrote: »
    No he didn't. He informed his superiors and it went right to the top. In fact Drew Harris informed the justice minister, who informed the taoiseach.

If Hogan was willing to blatantly lie to the government in telling them he went directly from Kilkenny to Galway, he wouldn't be averse to telling a Garda a few porkies.

I say the garda informed the superiors after the revelations came out about hogan attending the golf event.

Dont worry not everyone in Kildare is following the government restrictions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dont worry not everyone in Kildare is following the government restrictions ;)

Hogan and the lot of them can go to hell.......the more cans of worms being opened up about this the worse it gets

I'd say the next we'll here is that they had a gang of entertainers from Kildare at the gig

Bring back the firing squad I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Cases in Kildare coming down. 11 out of the 147 today. Hopefully it continies that way.

Cases in Kildare coming down. 11 out of the 147 today. Hopefully it continies that way.

They mentioned on Friday that there had been no new clusters identified... so hopefully just need to work through the existing ones

Good news is that the Athy plant is clear after its little outbreak

https://kfmradio.com/news/24082020-1129/tegral-athy-no-positive-results-latest-round-covid-19-testing

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

They mentioned on Friday that there had been no new clusters identified... so hopefully just need to work through the existing ones

I assume there is no chance they will lift us out of the lockdown a bit earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really doubt that many in Kildare are observing this lockdown fully.

I'm not saying that they are just being rebellious or anything, just that they have seen what has gone on and maybe just say feck it now.

Wear your mask, wash your hands and so on, and just get on with it.

If the issue is in the meat factories, corral them. Ordinary folk will laugh and laugh at the absurdity of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I'm not saying that they are just being rebellious or anything, just that they have seen what has gone on and maybe just say feck it now.

If the issue is in the meat factories, corral them. Ordinary folk will laugh and laugh at the absurdity of this.

The problem is they are destroying our businesses in Kildare with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

seamusk84 wrote: »
    The problem is they are destroying our businesses in Kildare with this nonsense.

Agreed.

People can move around but businesses are closed.

I would be a very livid business person in Kildare right now TBH

Yep - want to go to a restaurant, drive across border. Cinema, sure head to Liffey Valley. Pint with meal, sure Offaly and Laois are open now too. Any last minute summer camp or indoor activity for kids, no problem in Lucan. Meanwhile in Celbridge, Athy, Monastrevin the businesses have shut up doors as locals pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

I assume there is no chance they will lift us out of the lockdown a bit earlier?

Well, Laois and Offaly did get theirs lifted a full 2 days early, so you never know:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

As a Kildarian I agree. It isn't as if we are licking each others faces, but there is a sense of carry on as normal. People are still observing distancing, mask wearing and so on.
    As others have said, it is just punishing businesses at this stage. And inter-county relationships of course. E.g. I couldn't travel from Maynooth to Lucan to see my gf, but if she lived down in Newbridge that would be ok:confused:

It will interesting to see if Dublin goes into lockdown if there cases keep rising

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

It will interesting to see if Dublin goes into lockdown if there cases keep rising

Do you know what the cases per 100,000 were when kildare went into these new restrictions? I know it was about 200 for a while nationally it was about 16. Not sure what it is in dublin currently. Either way the situation can change so much with a few days to a week, dublin could well go into lockdown. Last I heard of the running order of worst counties per 100,000 was kildare, then tipp, Carlow and I think dublin was soon after that.

Minier81 wrote: »
    Do you know what the cases per 100,000 were when kildare went into these new restrictions? I know it was about 200 for a while nationally it was about 16. Not sure what it is in dublin currently. Either way the situation can change so much with a few days to a week, dublin could well go into lockdown. Last I heard of the running order of worst counties per 100,000 was kildare, then tipp, Carlow and I think dublin was soon after that.

I am not 100% sure what the the figures were for Kildare but you could be right.Ronan Glynn said yesterday that they were closely watching the figues in Dublin. If the keep rising in Dublin i am sure they will probably consider putting Dublin into lockdown. They are no different to anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

I am not 100% sure what the the figures were for Kildare but you could be right.Ronan Glynn said yesterday that they were closely watching the figues in Dublin. If the keep rising in Dublin i am sure they will probably consider putting Dublin into lockdown. They are no different to anyone else

According to you, Kildare residents are ignoring the restrictions. So why should Dubs observe them? No different to anyone else.

Advertisement