Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

I think its a bit of an overreaction. I know they want to avoid community transmission etc. I feel like this is more of a test to how it would work out if they needed to do it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Beanybabog wrote: »
    What happens if a person is on a staycation or people from a green list country are there in a hotel- they have to leave? Or can hotel remain open... aside from their bars restaurants and pools?

All guests in Hotels in Kildare/Offaly/Laois can complete their stay. No new tourist guests are permitted during the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

hurler32 wrote: »
    Only the most desperate in society would work in a meat factory these days the way the staff are treated . Savage physical work for minimum wage . can’t get any Irish or even poles at this stage . Latvians and Syrians fleeing war that are afraid of been deported .

Mostly Brazilians and EE actually that work in meat factories, only a minority of workers would be from DP centres.

Its hard work I did it myself for a few years but the theme going through the thread that its only a step up from a slave plantation with terrified workers forced to work in these places is a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Grandeeod wrote: »
    All guests in Hotels in Kildare/Offaly/Laois can complete their stay. No new tourist guests are permitted during the restrictions.

How about people from those counties currently on holiday? Are they supposed to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eire2go

Thanks for that. So it is not the meat processing plants, it is the Government Agency that is at fault. HSA might need an investigation. Were they there at the Committee meeting I wonder to defend themselves? I doubt it.

Absolutely, but there is no accountability, is it the government, the Health and Safety authority Or the HSE or NPHET, watch them all hide behind each other and push others out in front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Tzardine wrote: »
    Listening to Martins speech and he is saying that people "should" do this and "should" do that.

No mention of anything being mandatory.

Why does it have to be mandatory? Can people not follow guidelines for the better of everyone unless they are threatened with punishment for non-compliance? And then you'd have to crowd coming out crying "nanny state" about new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What about the hairdresser/beauty therapist/ nurse/ dentist/ sales assistants who live in these counties but who are also free to leave and go to work in surrounding counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Words cant describe how sorry I feel for people in Kildare / Laois / Offaly who were due to go on a staycation / holiday! Pure utter ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I’ve a covid antibody test on Monday in Dublin as I live in Kildare. I presume I can still go as medical but can you go with others in car?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So I can't drive into Dublin from Naas but plane loads of people can't fly into Dublin from the US?

Yes you can come to Ireland from any covid hot spot country with no forced quarantine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I’ve a covid antibody test on Monday in Dublin as I live in Kildare. I presume I can still go as medical but can you go with others in car?

They advise not to travel in a car with people outside of your household. You can of course travel for medical reasons yourself.

tvc15 wrote: »
    How about people from those counties currently on holiday? Are they supposed to return?

So far I've seen no guidance in relation to that. I presume once they return to the affected counties within the restriction period, they are subjected to the new restrictions. Good question though,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eire2go

Mostly Brazilians and EE actually that work in meat factories, only a minority of workers would be from DP centres.

Its hard work I did it myself for a few years but the theme going through the thread that its only a step up from a slave plantation with terrified workers forced to work in these places is a bit silly.

I absolutely agree, read reviews of working in these places on websites like Glassdooe, hard physically, no sick pay, , very basic conditions, often basic accommodation, very vulnerable people, True blame rests with the authorities that allow these people to be exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Akesh wrote: »
    Absolutely embarrassing from the government. No surprise the cases are linked to meat processing and direct provision centres - both of which were flagged long ago as being potential hotspots due to the working/living conditions.

Living conditions mostly I would say, but that is their choice really. No inspections on rentals unless on HAP at the start. Factories are inspected for H & S issues, but from recent posts it seems the inspectors are afraid of getting Covid,so they are paused now. Could be wrong about that, but anyway.

The people working in the meat factories do it willingly AFAIS, no one is making them do it.

When they go home and then into their community might just be an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Stats required now from DAA as to who and why people are entering the country. Same for ferries. Bet that is a swizz too.

Meanwhile the rest of us observe the rules but have to suffer all these entrants to our country. Sick of the double standards now.

Loads of people are still going on holidays. I know people heading to Italy next week. If it’s not enforced people will still fly abroad if they feel it is a safe country they are flying to

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

So Laois had no cases for like 27 days now is in lockdown after having 5 cases today? Seems a bit harsh on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Leave your racism at the door

nope.

these people have obviously no personal responsibility at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

xvril wrote: »
    So Laois had no cases for like 27 days now is in lockdown after having 5 cases today? Seems a bit harsh on them

It isn't because they could be living in Kildare, Laois, or Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ebbsy wrote: »
    nope.

these people have obviously no personal responsibility at all.

Your posts say more about you than them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fines need to be imposed soon for breaching lockdown. Now I am no fan of authoritarian things, but sometimes needs must.

If there are no sanctions, those who will always buck the system will continue to do so. And the rest of us who voluntarily comply will suffer the consequences.

This virus is going nowhere, so it is time to introduce fines now, it is five or more months later now to get the message across. It is about everyone not just YOU. And exceptions will always be there for essential movement anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is shocking. Meat factories were flagged in March. Who’s being held accountable for it?

Who carried our inspections? Fire/disciple them

Are work practices up to scratch and meet legal requirements?

Why is a county being shut down? Shut down the towns were factories are based and where the workers live

This is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

link?

Where to? And what about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Your posts say more about you than them tbh

just saying it like I see it.

Personal responsility doesn't end when you move country.

xvril wrote: »

Laois held out at 265 cases for 27 days. That was since it all kicked off in March. Then after the last two weeks it went up to 322 odd cases as of today according to the tracker App. 57 cases in two weeks. Just under a 25% increase in a very short period of time. As a Laois resident, I felt reasonably comfortable in terms of cases while still following guidelines. Even in the small part I live in the local DP centre had an outbreak.

So what if a family from one of the these 3 counties was meant to head off on holiday in the morning down the country. Do they travel or cancel the holiday and risk losing 100s or 1000s of euros

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Laois held out at 265 cases for 27 days. That was since it all kicked off in March. Then after the last two weeks it went up to 322 odd cases as of today according to the tracker App. 57 cases in two weeks. Just under a 50% increase in a very short period of time. As a Laois resident, I felt reasonably comfortable in terms of cases while still following guidelines. Even in the small part I live in the local DP centre had an outbreak.

That the former Montague?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

faceman wrote: »
    This is shocking. Meat factories were flagged in March. Who’s being held accountable for it?

Who carried our inspections? Fire/disciple them

Are work practices up to scratch and meet legal requirements?

Why is a county being shut down? Shut down the towns were factories are based and where the workers live

This is insane

It'll all be fine because Mary in Knockcroghery must wear a face mask when she pops into the corner shop to buy some milk for the tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Minier81 wrote: »
    They advise not to travel in a car with people outside of your household. You can of course travel for medical reasons yourself.

More bring wife and kids with me for the spin. So everyone from same household.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Wherever a cluster pops up it should be 'nuked' i.e. shut down strict quarantine until it's stopped. Town, area office etc. no messing about call out the army if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

99.9% of those workers will be fine in 2 week. Isolate the vunerable. Open up the country.

Advertisement