Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of sex work in Ireland - due for debate/review in Dail Eireann

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I just realized what you probably meant by this was, legislation is not going impact feminism.

How I read this initially was, "there are plenty of feminists who are sex workers".

i.e. the same mentality that condemns a trade like sex work, runs strongly within the practice itself.

Which - is unequivocally true.

That's the mind blow.

To clarify what I meant was, that regardless of legislation, workers will still be working. Feminism is perhaps a bad word to use. My issue is the over emphasis by non working females on any committees or focus groups the government is using to create or apply legislation. They have no notion of what the work involves and in many cases are more concerned with saving face and keeping their popularity intact. As long as such emphases' exist the workers will not receive proper representation and their rights will suffer. Despite groups such as Ruhama, whose main agenda appears to be an attempt at manipulating the extinction of the practice. This is counterproductive.

My argument is not with feminism, it is with the lack of sincere care it is showing workers via the high moral ground.

IMO the government should be installing a proactive and realistic team or group of people, who are prepared to sincerely discuss and focus on where Ireland's attitude is to the sex trade? What does it want to do to either enable it or indeed disable it? But they need to shít or get off the pot. The last thing workers need is fake legislation which is appeasing conservative voters and coercing them further underground, which is what it currently does.

It is all well and good having anti sex industry groups handpicking articulate ex-workers to use as "poster persons" to embellish their own rhetoric, but all the time this nonsense is merely shaming current workers and clients. An attitude change is required to really establish change. The stubborn conservative attitude is head in the sand stuff. They are litigating for people who have no involvement in the industry to the detriment of the workers and clients involved. It is a fallacy and sincerely futile governance, all in all.

Advertisement