Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS Outing - Gowran Park GC - 29th August, NB 11.10 first tee time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Harcrid wrote: »
    I dont post in the golf forum at all, but have been a long time lurker and have started to take up golf for the first time this year, joining a club for the first time and trying to get some rounds in. Enjoying it so far but I dont know many members at my club so I struggle to find people to play with. As I see there might be a few slots free, would it be too late to join the society and get involved this weekend?

Not too late at all Hacrid. You would be very welcome. Could you send a PM to Seve OB on here with your name, mobile number, home club and handicap.

He can then set you up on Teamer which I the app we use for tracking attendance.

There is a €30 membership fee. Given we're late in the year, you may not want to pay that. Itll mean you wont be able to win the prizes in the competition though, so that much is up to you.

If you can PM me the same details you're sending to Seve to me too, I will add you in to my spreadsheets for tracking attendance, contact details, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Done, thanks!

Done, thanks!

Thanks, PM'd back with a couple of follow ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Hi Folks as there are no Kildare based players playing on Saturday and in the interests of Fairness in the player of the year points and the qualifying table for the end of season match can us Lilly whites who had accepted to play but now obviously cant...... be i dunno maybe awarded a points for a a mid table place.

Hi Folks as there are no Kildare based players playing on Saturday and in the interests of Fairness in the player of the year points and the qualifying table for the end of season match can us Lilly whites who had accepted to play but now obviously cant...... be i dunno maybe awarded a points for a a mid table place.

We're still talking about the GOTY calculations, etc... given the shortened season & impacts of localised lockdowns. Its a mess to be honest and its skewed very heavily with less events counting.

We'll figure something out, but can't also penalise the points of attendees

• Advertisement

We're still talking about the GOTY calculations, etc... given the shortened season & impacts of localised lockdowns. Its a mess to be honest and its skewed very heavily with less events counting.

We'll figure something out, but can't also penalise the points of attendees

Agreed, maybe have no points at this one in the interests of fairness after all we are meant to be all in this together are we not. Not Easy Space i know.

We are all in this together, 100%.

From the people who declined, I can see that 2 are referencing Covid/Lockdown in their decline. There may be others who also declined on those grounds, but I can't get a clear reason from Teamer.

I know that this is an enforced decline, which is slightly different to people who are out because they are playing in their Captain's prize, or can't attend due to family commitments, but given we had to change dates, etc... other people could argue that they could have attended if the dates hadn't changed, so really thats an enforced decline to them too.

I would lean towards giving some arbitrary points value to people who couldn't attend due to Covid, rather than scrapping all the points for the event. That in essence, makes GOTY even more skewed, and is penalising the many over the few.

Its a balancing act, but there is no way I'm removing all GOTY points for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

there is no way I'm removing all GOTY points for the event

Okay, just one persons GOTY points then? :rolleyes:

slave1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Okay, just one persons GOTY points then? :rolleyes:

slave1.jpg

You only need to remove 1 point:pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For the record, my missed round (and future missed round) are not Covid related, so no points for me there.

I'll just win the two events i do make and i'll be sorted :P

Think there will be a Ryder Jug this year?

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Think there will be a Ryder Jug this year?

Still hope so, have to touch base with the other society organiser to see if its doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Still hope so, have to touch base with the other society organiser to see if its doable?

im led to believe the other society are having a few unofficial outings this year and that there probably is interest in having a Jug match

Updated Timesheet for our new member:

Tee Time|Player 1|Player 2|Player 3
    11:10|Macker1|Snackbox20
    11:20|FixDePitchmark|Break80|Harcrid
    11:30|Rainbow Warrior|Woodyg|Pakman
    11:40|Princess Poppy|Paulos53|Kiith
    11:50|Tigerwood1|Recycled|Ballyk
    12:00|Scubapro|The Big Easy|CharlieIRL
    12:10|Slave1|Golfnut203|Athlone99
    12:20|Kieran.|NewInDublin|Benny79
    12:30|Spacecoyote|OffalyMedic|Gypsy79

We are all in this together, 100%.

From the people who declined, I can see that 2 are referencing Covid/Lockdown in their decline. There may be others who also declined on those grounds, but I can't get a clear reason from Teamer.

I know that this is an enforced decline, which is slightly different to people who are out because they are playing in their Captain's prize, or can't attend due to family commitments, but given we had to change dates, etc... other people could argue that they could have attended if the dates hadn't changed, so really thats an enforced decline to them too.

I would lean towards giving some arbitrary points value to people who couldn't attend due to Covid, rather than scrapping all the points for the event. That in essence, makes GOTY even more skewed, and is penalising the many over the few.

Its a balancing act, but there is no way I'm removing all GOTY points for the event.
    ah yea deffo maybe somewhere half way on the points scale for Kildare restricted members.

•There is a practice putting green in Gowran, but no other facilities. The closest range is towards Kilkenny City, about a 15 minute drive from the course

•We will be playing off the White tees

•Be ready at the first tee for your tee time. Please do not arrive on the box on top of the group ahead of you, in order to ensure that social distancing is maintained. Adhere to the time gaps on the first tee to keep adequate distance between groups.

•Your place on the course is behind the group in front, not ahead of the group behind, so please try and keep to a decent pace of play. We're out on a new course, playing in 3-balls, with other societies also playing, so things may be slow. 10 minute gaps will hopefully help on that front. Please do everything in your own power minimise any delays

•The Society plays "Ready Golf". This means that you don't need to observe who has the honour on each tee box. If you're ready to hit, get up & do so. It keeps things flowing. Follow a similar approach across the whole course. If you're a yard ahead on the fairway, but you can play & your partner can't, go ahead & play your shot. We're a friendly (but competitive) society, not playing on the PGA Tour.

•If in doubt, shout "FORE"

•If in doubt, hit a provisional ball off the tee. Better to have a ball out there & not need it rather than hike back to the tee box/original spot

•You have 3 minutes to find a lost ball from the time you arrive at the spot you believe it to be. For playing partners, if someone is searching and you're in a position to hit your ball, can you please hit first before helping your partners search. Again, this keeps things flowing

•If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It can slow things down considerably. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch

Nearest the Pin will be the 9th hole. For the "nearest the pin" hole, your first tee shot has to be on the green to be eligible. If you see 1 name on the sheet and they're closer than you, put down your measure, as if someone wins another prize, we will give 2nd closest the prize.

Longest Drive will be on the 14th Hole. Similarly, for the "Longest Drive" hole, your first drive must be on the Fairway to qualify. If you're a touch short, and there's only one name on the board stick your name & how much further back you were from the leader & you may pick up the prize.

•At Kilkea, everyone sent a screenshot to me of their scorecards for doing up scoring at the end of their round rather than handing up scorecards for checking. Can we please do the same. Preferably send them directly to me, not to the Gowran group, so we can try keep the winners announcement till the end

•We're living in Covid world now, so please adhere to social distancing guidelines. Stay 2m from your playing partners. Don't shake hands before or after the round.

•Do not touch/remove the flagsticks

•Bunkers are in play, you can place the ball within 6 inches, no closer to the hole, without smoothing the sand first. Please smooth out the sand as best you can with your shoe/club after you have played your shot.

•There is food available in the clubhouse afterwards, based on the survey I put up, there are 15 confirmed for food, with a few not replying yet. I've given that as a provisional number to the club, but they've confirmed they have plenty of small tables, so please look to eat in a small group, with your playing partners, where possible.

•I'll have prizes with me from people who missed collecting theirs at previous events. The following people are missing theirs at the moment:

OS_Head - Long Drive Portmarnock
    Kiith - 3rd Portmarnock
    Slave1 - Winner Kilkea
    SeveOB - 3rd Kilkea
    Gmur1894 - F9 Kilkea
    Iang87 - B9 Kilkea
    Brian Rossiter - NTP Kilkea

•Finally, and most of all, enjoy the golf

I think I've covered most things, but happy for any further suggestions or info people want to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Have you mentioned what Tee's we are playing off?

Sorry Space if I have missed it.

benny79 wrote: »
    Have you mentioned what Tee's we are playing off?

Sorry Space if I have missed it.

Updated above Benny

Enjoy folks seems that the weather will be ok Realkly hope there are no Kildare base Boardsies sneaking out Phil Hogan style, Would be hard to take tbh. Great Job Space, gummin to get back playing 20 days today without a game. Poxy co vid ****e

Enjoy folks seems that the weather will be ok Realkly hope there are no Kildare base Boardsies sneaking out Phil Hogan style, Would be hard to take tbh. Great Job Space, gummin to get back playing 20 days today without a game. Poxy co vid ****e

Can't get out in a Kildare course? Must be Opens/Invitationals going on at a number of them trying to get some traffic through?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Already told Space privately, unfortunately car is still in the garage and won't be able to travel this weekend. Enjoy, looks like the weather is going to be good, hopefully ground not to wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

You should’ve called yourself Judge

Revision for a couple of drop-outs

Tee Time|Player 1|Player 2|Player 3
    11:10|Macker1|Snackbox20|Pakman
    11:20|Break80|Woodyg|Harcrid
    11:30|Princess Poppy|Paulos53|Kiith
    11:40|Rainbow Warrior|Recycled|Ballyk
    11:50|FixDePitchmark|The Big Easy|CharlieIRL
    12:00|Slave1|Tigerwood1|Athlone99
    12:10|Golfnut203|NewInDublin|Benny79
    12:20|Spacecoyote|OffalyMedic|Gypsy79

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads will ye relax, its a society outing, all supposed to be a bit of fun at the end of the day. Points will only be awards to players who turn up on the day - end of story.

I'm like a lot of people here, club shut during the first lockdown and then again in the localised lockdown, I wasn't on to my club to let me play, i understood these restrictions are for the greater good. its looking very likely i'm going to loose my competition handicap unless some allowances are being made for members who couldn't play yet I'm ok with that - I see the bigger picture.

Hopefully we'll all be able to play the next round and this will be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think there probably is scope for covid thread in main forum. But it got fairly nasty fairly quick.

I'm not sure the golf society is a place for that .

Committee and captain can take on board feedback and the reasonable bunch they are . No doubt they will consider it.

I'd suggest do it by PM.

The society is meant to be a team too. So shouldn't bring in the confrontational style (that I actually like) into the society.

The society is a very different place and atmosphere to main thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Looking forward to the round today. Just looked up Gowran from six years ago and I played with yourself that day as well Charlie! I was checking to see if it was the same three ball :D You were captain and Space was our third and he took home the win. Good memories.

Always a pleasure to play with Fix too, and I'll be the short man on every hole, just hope we're not in the trees too much Charlie! ;)

Have a great day and play well everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Looking forward to my first outing and meeting some new people. Nerves kicking in already. As a new player I hope I can keep up with ye. See you all later. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looking forward to my first outing and meeting some new people. Nerves kicking in already. As a new player I hope I can keep up with ye. See you all later. ðŸ˜

People always cooler in real life.

Forum is odd :D

Can't get out in a Kildare course? Must be Opens/Invitationals going on at a number of them trying to get some traffic through?

No Unfortunately, i did look but at the weekends its all members. Would make you think about being in a club in the same county if the county lockdown system is something that NPHET continues with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Enjoyable round today, even if I played ****e. Was up at 3am this morning bringing my cousin to the airport, so that didn't exactly help. Sorry for leaving so soon and not staying for the prizes. Was already feeling it, and figured I should get home ASAP.

Thanks to Princess Poppy and Paulos for the round. Very enjoyable company, and they helped me find more than one or two of my off centre drives :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, these are tense and trying times but lets keep away from the tone of the many posts I've just deleted.
    Thanks all folks.
    Thread will be reopened for results.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement