Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any benefit in bigger RAM with i3 processor?

Options
  • 08-08-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If i get a pc with an i3 processor, and up the RAM to 8gb, will this improve speed?

Is it just a bad idea now to have an i3 processor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Esho wrote: »
    Hi,

If i get a pc with an i3 processor, and up the RAM to 8gb, will this improve speed?

Is it just a bad idea now to have an i3 processor?

It's entirely dependent on what you're doing. I'm assuming you're running Windows 10 as the OS. If so 8GB would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭CoBo55

My ageing optiplex is i3 with 8gig of ram and it's running perfectly, it's an eBay jobbie I bought for 100 blips a few years ago, it was a quantum leap on the truly ancient Inspiron 3000 it replaced:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i3 isnt useful, there are decade worth of i3s now.

ED E wrote: »
    i3 isnt useful, there are decade worth of i3s now.

Wha?

sugarman wrote: »
    He means, simply stating its an i3 isn't enough information as there a 10 different generations of i3 now.

Ok, I haven't a clue which version the optiplex has tbh, it never seems to be under pressure, the most I've ever seen it working at is 50% and that's usually when W10 is doing updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

type system information into the search bar and it will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

It's entirely dependent on what you're doing. I'm assuming you're running Windows 10 as the OS. If so 8GB would be beneficial.

Thanks for that.
    It's a 4th gen i3.
    I'm looking to buy a refurb. Seems to be plenty i3s for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Esho wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    It's a 4th gen i3.
    I'm looking to buy a refurb. Seems to be plenty i3s for sale.

For office work it'll be grand. I would suggest 8GB RAM though.

Advertisement