Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Parachutes wrote: »
    Ads like that have been on British television for ages now. I feel bad for children who are subjected to this fear propaganda day in day out.

15% of Irish 15 year olds can distinguish between fact and opinion: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/irish-schools-need-to-modernise-20th-century-approach-to-learning-warns-oecd-1.4516222

This translates into a large number of well-educated patsies in this country who blindly defend lockdowns and the incompetent clowns running the show even when confronted with clear facts, because the man on the tv told them to put on the green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PTH2009 wrote: »

Moving on to the next tactic to keep people living in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

The public aren't buying into the seriousness of the virus anymore, better bring the scaremongering up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Unbelievable, the only people that regularly watch RTÉ are already living in fear of this "deadly" virus any person under the age of 45 knows that this virus has an extremely low chance of hospitalising them let alone killing them.

I'd love to know exactly what they are hoping to achieve with this scaremongering ad?

I guess announcing the daily covid cases and deaths isn't scaring us into submission enough already so this is the best that they could come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Moving on to the next tactic to keep people living in fear.

It's part of the official gov plan, it's been posted many times before.

Keep people in fear, anyone under 50 doesn't care, they know damn well they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It is being reported that RTE will record a profit this year....

The Government are spending in local newspapers, radio stations and national TV stations in a manner no other entity is...taxpayers money that is!!!

Will this spend by HSE/Government on Covid ads be reported? Will RTE income directly from these ads be reported? Will we see transparency? I suspected they'll bury these figures in the accounts so it's not immediately obvious.

Are HSE and RTE accounts made public?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Claire Byrne show now doing a segment on the variants. More fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you not know by now it's the COVID show?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The IT are normally my Irish go to

Not today

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-may-be-stable-in-ireland-now-but-the-delta-variant-looms-1.4590869
    Coronavirus may be stable in Ireland now, but the delta variant looms

Limitations after HSE cyberattack may be masking true prevalence of variant in State

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    126 cases of delta here up to 20 May. It's very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I mean people either want the reality, or they don't. Can't be blaming the media for putting stuff up you don't want to know.

I mean Sky News at the moment is running with their easing of restrictions being put on hold due to their rapid rise in cases.

It's the truth, not the national media revelling in misery for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hurrache wrote:
    I mean Sky News at the moment is running with their easing of restrictions being put on hold due to their rapid rise in cases.

Know someone living in London, said its rampant there, they're expecting another lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hurrache wrote: »

For a change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Good thing is that greek alphabet only have 24 letters so couple years from now we may be fine.
    I am a little afraid that when they invent 24 variants they may start numbering them or combining so we may come with alpha-delta-theta4 variant and it suddenly look like never ending story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hurrache wrote: »
    I mean people either want the reality, or they don't. Can't be blaming the media for putting stuff up you don't want to know.

Don’t you realise that any talk of COVID in the media in any form at all is reckless scare mongering and we should all just bury our heads in the sand and ignore what’s happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

patnor1011 wrote:
    Good thing is that greek alphabet only have 24 letters so couple years from now we may be fine. I am a little afraid that when they invent 24 variants they may start numbering them or combining so we may come with alpha-delta-theta4 variant and it suddenly look like never ending story.

.... Are those mentioning media fear mongering, the ones that are actually doing the mongering!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Ridiculous. The fear mongering never stops.

Lets all go full on rant mode over an article from March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

MadYaker wrote: »
    Don’t you realise that any talk of COVID in the media in any form at all is reckless scare mongering and we should all just bury our heads in the sand and ignore what’s happening?

I don't get it. The vulnerable are vaccinated and two doses stops delta.

Average age of death from covid19 is higher than life expectancy. I know quite a few people who've had it and they are back to normal etc.

It seems madness. What am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Clickbait rubbish yere worse to read it

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I don't get it. The vulnerable are vaccinated and two doses stops delta.

Average age of death from covid19 is higher than life expectancy. I know quite a few people who've had it and they are back to normal etc.

It seems madness. What am I missing?

You are missing something something indiscriminate killer virus something something which spreads like wildfire something something long covid something something life will never be the same again.
    And it is only 2 weeks something something maybe 2 months or years or whatever something something variants.
    You can either read and watch media and cower in fear of impending doom or you can go out and talk to people and live a life as much as you can currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

"RTE News. The truth matters."

This is the slogan for their latest ad campaign.

You couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

patnor1011 wrote: »
    You are missing something something indiscriminate killer virus something something which spreads like wildfire something something long covid something something life will never be the same again.
    And it is only 2 weeks something something maybe 2 months or years or whatever something something variants.
    You can either read and watch media and cower in fear of impending doom or you can go out and talk to people and live a life as much as you can currently.

Ah here now....

The Central Statistics Office published it's summary of vital Statistics for 2020 on 28th May.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsys/vitalstatisticsyearlysummary2020/
    2020 - 2019

Births 55,959 59,796

Deaths 31,765 31,134

Marriages 9,523 20,313

Natural 24,194 28,662
    Increase

The 2020 Mortatility Rate is 2% above the 2019 figure.

There were 9,356 deaths from Malignant Cancers

The Covid entry is somewhat interesting.
    COVID-19 Virus Identified and Virus Unidentified:

There were 1,672 registered deaths where COVID-19 was assigned as the underlying cause of death in 2020. There were a further 167 mortality records where there was a mention of COVID-19 in the narrative of the death certificate and where the underlying cause of death was not COVID-19

As of the 7th January this year the HSE were reporting Covid Deaths of 2307.

I'm unsure whether the Irish media outlets gave the CSO's report much coverage or consideration.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ah here now....

The Central Statistics Office published it's summary of vital Statistics for 2020 on 28th May.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsys/vitalstatisticsyearlysummary2020/

The 2020 Mortatility Rate is 2% above the 2019 figure....

Which is pretty much in line with trend from last few years anyway. Like there was about 2% increase 2018 from 2017 numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Which is pretty much in line with trend from last few years anyway. Like there was about 2% increase 2018 from 2017 numbers...

So then what do you reckon the numbers would look like without the restrictions and various other public health measures we’ve had to put up with? Keep in mind that these measures pretty much eliminated the flu which kills quite a few people every year.

MadYaker wrote: »
    So then what do you reckon the numbers would look like without the restrictions and various other public health measures we’ve had to put up with? Keep in mind that these measures pretty much eliminated the flu which kills quite a few people every year.

No one knows for sure. But there are plenty of countries and states that didn’t lockdown hard and didn’t have huge death tolls.

Considering our young population, geographical location and longest lockdown in Europe, we actually haven’t done too well.

We were too focused on closing business instead of looking at putting solutions in place around nursing homes, hospitals and meat factories were the illness was actually spreading.

No one knows for sure. But there are plenty of countries and states that didn’t lockdown hard and didn’t have huge death tolls.

Considering our young population, geographical location and longest lockdown in Europe, we actually haven’t done too well.

We were too focused on closing business instead of looking at putting solutions in place around nursing homes, hospitals and meat factories were the illness was actually spreading.

555928.JPG

What we did, undoubtedly worked

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Speaking about Irish Media hype. 3 Irish Independent Covid articles in a row this morning about Travel.

1x from some Philip Ryan calling for the July 19th return of International Travel to be postponed.

1x warning the over 60's with one AZ jab not to travel.

1x advising that people with one AZ jab won't be "allowed" to travel.

You could not make this stuff up.

• Advertisement

Feria40 wrote: »
    Speaking about Irish Media hype. 3 Irish Independent Covid articles in a row this morning about Travel.

1x from some Philip Ryan calling for the July 19th return of International Travel to be postponed.

1x warning the over 60's with one AZ jab not to travel.

1x advising that people with one AZ jab won't be "allowed" to travel.

You could not make this stuff up.

1x opinion piece

2x good common sense based on what we know is happening in the UK. They will be getting the second over the next few weeks

Advertisement