Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Gumbo wrote: »
    Depends on access etc
    Also depends on your invertor, and how the panels can be stringed so that one less performing panel or string doesnt effect the good performing string.

For example, i have 10 panels on my front south facing roof. I am putting 6 on the rear north facing roof this month and they will be on a separate string.

Why would you have north facing panels? That's like the Kerry hitchhiker, got up early to avoid the traffic...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why would you have north facing panels? That's like the Kerry hitchhiker, got up early to avoid the traffic...

They still produce power, granted not as much as a south facing one but still a decent amount.

Also if it's just a case of connecting panels into an inverter, there's not much cost there as all th hard work is done.

That's also why east/west is quite favourable, you might lose some peak production at solar noon (that usually ends up exported), but gain more in the morning and evening when people are in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭CoBo55

graememk wrote: »
    They still produce power, granted not as much as a south facing one but still a decent amount.

Also if it's just a case of connecting panels into an inverter, there's not much cost there as all th hard work is done.

That's also why east/west is quite favourable, you might lose some peak production at solar noon (that usually ends up exported), but gain more in the morning and evening when people are in the house

I definitely get your logic for an East/ West orientation but not for North facing panels. My oil tank cracked because it was facing east and was getting a lot of sun, its replacement was put beside the shed facing north and barely a ray of sunlight touches it.

I definitely get your logic for an East/ West orientation but not for North facing panels. My oil tank cracked because it was facing east and was getting a lot of sun, its replacement was put beside the shed facing north and barely a ray of sunlight touches it.

Solar panels dont need direct sunlight

have a play with this https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP website

estimations are all based on real data.

1kwp facing south at 35d degree slope with the default settings inc losses, will generate 813kwh in a year.

same specs but facing north would generate 466kwh.
    Thats about 55% ish of a south facing one, but if your out of roof space.. North facing roofs start to become attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

graememk wrote: »
    Solar panels dont need direct sunlight

have a play with this https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP website

estimations are all based on real data.

1kwp facing south at 35d degree slope with the default settings inc losses, will generate 813kwh in a year.

same specs but facing north would generate 466kwh.
    Thats about 55% ish of a south facing one, but if your out of roof space.. North facing roofs start to become attractive.

What about ground mount ?

• Advertisement

richie123 wrote: »
    What about ground mount ?

theres options in there for ground mount too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Because I’ve watched the orientation of the sun over the last 3 years.
    In the late afternoon as the sun moves to the west, my rear roof gets completely covered by sun light so I’m taking advantage of that.

In the summer months, it gets direct sun light from the west late into the evening. The rear roof is unobstructed too with little to no shadows. It won’t produce as much as the south facing string but I’m fitting these myself with a friend so the cost is well below what people would typically expect so it makes sense to do it now while available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    4.1kw SE facing array with tree shading from late afternoon.
    3.4kWh today
    2.4 kWh Pylontech battery dead on arrival so p1ssed all excess over usage to the grid

So nothing yesterday, put it down to extremely gloomy clouds and rain, but zilch today too.
    Turns out there's a bug in my hybrid inverter, it needs a battery to kick it into operation and as mine in dead the inverter (BPE) won't kick in.
    Getting sorted tomorrow with new battery and inverter firmware update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That sucks! Hope you get it resolved soon. I bet you are itching to see the full system up and running and then spending hours refreshing the app every 5 minutes.

Like as if I can wait 5 minutes!!!

• Advertisement

Like as if I can wait 5 minutes!!!

Could be worse, mines auto update every 10 seconds...

I changed mine to a minute. As I am not using a home brewed solution like you are graeme that was the lowest interval I could go to.

garo wrote: »
    I changed mine to a minute. As I am not using a home brewed solution like you are graeme that was the lowest interval I could go to.

Never said it was a good thing. It's better for productivity not to look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Decent day today after a rotten start to November. Clouds and rain just rolled in so I'd say I'm done for the day.

1st - 4.2kWh
    2nd - 3.4kWh
    3rd - 7.7kWh

6.2kwp, (2.8kWp south, 3.4kWp west). East Donegal.

So nothing yesterday, put it down to extremely gloomy clouds and rain, but zilch today too.
    Turns out there's a bug in my hybrid inverter, it needs a battery to kick it into operation and as mine in dead the inverter (BPE) won't kick in.
    Getting sorted tomorrow with new battery and inverter firmware update
    garo wrote: »
    That sucks! Hope you get it resolved soon. I bet you are itching to see the full system up and running and then spending hours refreshing the app every 5 minutes.

Yep, it was the battery, inverter kicked in immediately once new battery installed.
    Generated 2.8kWh from around 11am this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,626 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

8.4kWh here, about 4kwp in Dublin

Self use (all at the higher rate, no EV charging or water heating from solar PV for me) just 97% today :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

7.53 kWh today.
    3 kw system. South facing.

Yep, it was the battery, inverter kicked in immediately once new battery installed.
    Generated 2.8kWh from around 11am this morning

Is that with the full system installed? I thought you had two sets of panels to go up?

On topic:
    6.7kWh today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

4.4 kWh 1st November
    5.6 kWh 2nd November
    8.5 kWh 3rd November

4.65 kWp (2.17 SE, 2.48 SW) North Dublin.

I know it's been asked before, but what are the night tariff times?

I thought it was 11 til 8 in winter and 12 til 9 in summer.

But electric Ireland website says 1am to 8am (winter time) or 2am to 9am (summer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »

This ^

DrPhilG wrote: »

But electric Ireland website says 1am to 8am (winter time) or 2am to 9am (summer).

Thats the Norths economy 7 times i think

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

8.7kwh 4th decent bit of sun for most of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

20kwh today from south facing 5kw system in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

Must of been better weather in cork, overcast all day in North Dublin. Only 3.3 kWh with 4.65kWp system split SE and SW

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

davpower wrote: »
    20kwh today from south facing 5kw system in Cork
    Wow that's amazing this time of year.

I got 2.6kwh lol 4.4kw South East facing

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    Wow that's amazing this time of year.

I got 2.6kwh lol 4.4kw South East facing

Had a perfect arc today! 4th day in a row over 17kwh, looking at weather its the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

davpower wrote: »
    Had a perfect arc today! 4th day in a row over 17kwh, looking at weather its the end of it!

You're getting great output from that 5kw system. Yesterday was a great day alright, my morning arc starred like yours, but got choppy by afternoon, managed nearly 14kwh, from a 6.4kwp system, saw facing.

tails_naf wrote: »
    You're getting great output from that 5kw system. Yesterday was a great day alright, my morning arc starred like yours, but got choppy by afternoon, managed nearly 14kwh, from a 6.4kwp system, saw facing.

In the interest of balance, I got 0.5kwh from it on the 29/10/20, so its not all good!;)

• Advertisement

Damn 20kWh is insane.

Meanwhile in Donegal I got 4.3 lol.

Last 3 days:

My guesstimate is an average of 4.5kWh per day for the month though so I'm not expecting much.

Advertisement