Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Second day over 50 with 51.97 kwh. Might make a 1 mwh for the month. I’d love to know how much is getting generated overall by residential solar these last few days and how it compares to national demand.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

How many NC6’s have been filled out. We can FOI that. Also no reason why they couldn’t tell us the KWh values on them. I’ll send an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

We generated 3 times the energy today that we used. So the excess could have run our 2 neighbours houses in a way

48.2 today. 38.4 out. 8euro in the bank for December :) One of the most interesting things I’ve learned here is how vastly different some people deal with the exporting / self use thing. My opinion is 100% dictated by the finances. If FIT were to go away / drastically reduce I’d have to seriously assess my situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

True - but remember a lot of people (incl me) bought at a much different time. Including grants on batteries, so the mindset is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah im torn as well. I have been charging the battery every night between 2 and 4am..at 12.65 cents per kWh ei night boost.. and running dishwasher from grid at same time..but I'm going to not charge next few nights. Last week I noticed I was producing 6.2kwh from the panels as it was charging the battery and covering house load and exporting.. when the battery is full I'm limited to 5kwh production.. so in theory I could be loosing maybe 7 or 8kwh potential production if my battery is full and my 7kwp panels are producing to their potential.. it's a couple of Euro here or there so probably not worth stressing over. I looked at the last 7 days and reckon I spent 6 euro on electricity import but exported 18 euro.. of course weeks like this aren't going to be the norm.. I've the Eddi in the mix as well.. at the moment I'm using gas for an hour in the morning to heat the water.. and the Eddi tops up during the day.. I could just switch off the gas schedule and see how much energy it takes for the Eddi to heat the tank tomorrow... or the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

Was a good day today, best day so far, 23.9. Even gave the panels a quick wash as there was a lot of dust.

Noticed a data drop out at 11.50am today and then the data was only logging every 10 minutes for an hour.

Thankfully my meter goes backwards so not concerned about the export.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

In May 21 a well known installer who are affiliated with a well known electricity supplier were asking 16300 - 3000 grant for a 16 x 352 w system with a sonnen 10kWh battery. 13300 total cost. It’s only a 5.2kwh system.

Would this be considered a good quote using todays guidelines ?

Pretty much the same. Haven’t bought more than 0.3kwh any day in the last week and exported 140kwh in the same period. It would be more if we were on a smart meter but no point on a day/night meter of not maximising self use.

It’s a shame that EV’s are at a price that is putting them beyond most people’s budget. With Solar production and Ev batteries balancing the grid you could go a long way to lowering both transport emissions and potential brown outs.

I charge to 100% between 2-4 also and start discharge at 4:01; by the time there is enough PV in the morning to sustain the house the batteries are usually down to 90-95% depending on what we are having for breakfast :).

I let the battery charge until 95% and then set the system to feed excess to the grid as opposed to charging the battery.

That spare 5-10% (has always been enough to soak up the “spikes” over 6kwh). And if the battery still isn’t at 100% by 15:00 the system transitions back to charge priority and the battery is usually at 100% by 15:20 and stays there till 7-8 pm these days.

This might make some sense to you:

• Advertisement

We maybe talking at cross purposes here. If it's the company who I think you are referring, it's long known that I regularly take the mickey out of their quotes and have done for years. Snakeoil huckster saleman that they are, doing solar installation penetration in ireland a huge disservice if you ask me.

No, what I was referring to Hotswap was you comment.

One of the most interesting things I’ve learned here is how vastly different some people deal with the exporting / self use thing. My opinion is 100% dictated by the finances. If FIT were to go away / drastically reduce I’d have to seriously assess my situation.

What I was referring to was that many of us bough Batteries etc long before FIT was a think in Ireland. We also had the battery grant. So for us it's a "sunk cost" - there's no going back and trading the battery in and getting our money back. So the behavior characteristics for this set of people would/could be very different from people who bought today.

Also, while I've custom automation in place to do what I want when I want, importing at night rate and exporting at day etc....but I'm not on Smart meter. I'm on deemed export, so doesn't matter how/what I export (at the mo). These things make a huge difference in behaviour I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭con747

You need a new calculator, 16 x 352 = 5.632. Aside from that the quote calculator brings it in @ €12821.59 which is expensive but not way over the odds now.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Typo: 325W panels sorry. Mad to think they were standard 2 years ago; now a lot of people are getting 430W panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

Can spend less on EVs too. We bought a 2016 Leaf last year for 15k. It's our only car. Tis only a 30kWh battery but perfect for our Leinster driving. Tbh it's a pure Dublin care 99% of the time. So range matters less for us.

Rural dweller and do 120km minimum daily. Range for me is everything. My rule on them will be minimum 400km range o. Winter driving and a battery that can integrate with my home solar set up similar to the battery and potential run the house off the car. This may be a way off yet and regardless at €50k we could never afford it.

The lads who put in the 3x extra panels I got there recently were mentioning 550w monsters. Getting to the point of hard to handle (even for 2 people)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

64.9kWh which was a new record.

Very few can, that's the problem. Majority of people can't.

Not as far away as you'd think. Electric cars are nearing the stage that (without grants) are nearly cheaper to make than the ICE equivalent. Couple of years for the 2nd hand market to kick in and we'll all see decent EV's for sub 20-25K I'd hope.

• Advertisement

I hope so, but this is Ireland....

Anyway, best day ever. 32kWp 1.725w east - 2.415w south - 1.380w west. 4 new west panels helped a lot so far since February.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

🙂☀️58.4 kWh today ☀️🙂, highest so far - 8.8kWh panels directly south facing Kildare area!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

120 one way or round trip?

Our criteria was at a minimum to be Enniskillen (no public fast chargers in 2019) and back (about 260km) and ideally Belfast (some public chargers in 2019) and back (about 300 km)

We can even one way to Dublin without stopping and still have 50km left of battery,

The e Niro handles it easily. We do 400odd km/week and have really noticed not having a fuel bill for the diesel Sportage we used to have (5.2l/100km.. on a good day).

All I'm saying don't just wait for a unicorn that currently doesn't even exist,

I've second hand niros going for the 30k mark about 2.. maybe 3 year old.

if you are doing that milage will the car even be at home to charge from solar?

Could beat the record 52kwh if this keeps up. 2.9kwh produced by 7.20am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I was going to post that I didn't think today would be as good, as it seemed a little hazy but I see I'm up about 10% so.. I guess it should land in the same ballpark overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

System installed last week and this is the highest day so far- East West Split 3 and 4.3

2 EV's so as little as possible back to the grid - Zappi does a great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

With the FIT what's the incentive to charge a car directly during the day?

Get ~20c for exporting during the day and at night pay ~20c to charge the car.

Ok you need a smart meter which will be forced on us all at some point.

And you may have to pay tax on your FIT revenue (tax which should be abolish IMO to incentivise even more people)

Am I missing anything else?

It's for Dublin, but today looks like the best of it.....by a very very small margin.

Really nothing in it for today, Wed & Thursday by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

we might want to take this to pm or another thread. You are saying you can set your battery dc charge to charge the battery to 90%? i have givenergy gear and i can get ac charge to stop at a battery percent.. not sure how i can set it so that it would charge from solar to 90% then behave like the battery is full.. exporting the excess over house load.. and then adding anything over 5kwh being generated back into the battery? Last night i didnt charge from the grid at all and the battery was still nearly 70% this morning.. id imagine it will be full next few hours.. my inverter is 5kw but ive seen it with 6.2 last week.. sending some to the battery and some to house and some to export.. the trick would be to have spare capacity in the battery as you say to soak up the spikes above 5kwp

Advertisement