Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, maybe Jonathan might move this to "Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting" ?

I've actually seen the 5Kw Givenergy inverter knock out 7.12Kw - which is impressive considering that I've only 6.5Kwp split E/W! So it was 30-40% over rated power of the inverter, but also more than the Kwp I've installed and finally a E/W split - although at this time of year with the sun very much overhead, E/W isn't the drawback that it is at other times of the year. Took a screenshot of it cause it was so unusual (I note 14:00 as the time so close to solar noon which is about 13:20 locally)

Didn't sustain it for long though to be fair, maybe 3-4 minutes until the panels got up to temp, and then it dropped back to 5.6Kw I think.

I wouldn't worry about trying to have spare capacity in the battery to have it "ready for the deluge". It's fractions of your overall production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just remember that the kWp rating of your panels is just a rating based on set voltage/amperage and can be exceeded. I've seen 8.4kW coming through my 8.14kWp array into my 6kW inverter.

all ythese 400 and 500 panels have the same efficiency rating though, they are just bigger, so its not an improvement in performance or anything.

Yup - well aware, but what was interesting was the extent of over production (40%), on a number of different factors. T'was more than my Kwp, More than the orientation (albeit not as pronounced this time of year) and more than my inverter. Lots of stars have to align.

Ohh for sure - again well aware. Panels are in about the 22-24% for the most part. Bifacials give an extra few % over the normal ones, but even they are effectively more surface area for that extra production. it's interesting though that the trend has been for bigger and bigger panels. I can see the appeal for industrial scale. Less connections = less issues, but they are getting unwiedly. I think 400w is in about the "sweet spot", but I don't work with them day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sligopaul

Prob a record for me as well, 44.3 produced off 6.67 panels SE facing in Sligo

• Advertisement

I'm within touching distance of 1mWh for the month, getting regularly 44-45kWh per day at this stage. Pulling in 6kW today at 9am, stunningly different to even a month ago. I got my panels in mid september so I havent really seen peak summer yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

House battery was already full before 10am, gonna need to find some uses for all this electricity 😂

"We're gonna need a bigger boat battery"

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

I’d agree. I’d love a 400km range, but we can’t afford that. If 120km in winter is the lowest OP could accept (and bear in mind the battery drops in capacity a small few % each year), you want something with closer to 200km summer range now. Which is a 2nd hand 40kWh. Our 30kWh 7 year Leaf won’t do 120km in winter. That’s pure finger in the air estimates of course, but gives you something to work from. Depends on the type of roads you drive and how you drive. Uses way less battery on slower roads than motorways (as does ICE of course).

Far from suggesting the Leaf is the bees knees, just the only EV we ever owned. Here’s a suggested real-world for a new 40kWh Leaf (in miles so multiply by 1.6). “A [new] 40kWh LEAF is probably about 150 miles in the real world. That could be as high as 200 miles in the summer, but as low as 100 miles on the motorway in winter” - re Nissan LEAF: Is It Still Relevant In 2022? (insideevs.com)

I totally get rural is different with distance and lack of chargers. Anyways, I’m going off topic. 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The panels are divided into two different sets due to their positioning and orientation on the roof so that's why two different strings were used it seems. They're both facing the same direction, but can't be connected together as it's an end of terrace with the panels located either side of a roof truss (house is perpendicular to the neighbouring property, so a portion of their roof intersects with ours if you get me). So the truss might cast a shadow on a set of panels at times. I assume that's why they used two different strings?

I'm still waiting for an answer on the Projoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

your figures are about right.. and yup its an incentive to load shift. I don't see it as a bad thing. Cars are more likely to be home at night to be charged anyway. So that's all lining up..

The bit that doesnt is tax on FIT, as you point out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Finally, FINALLY we have a day where we got over 30kWh. For weeks its been 29.something, but we finally hit the 30.

3kW inverter which works at 3.3kW, 12 panels (roughly 4.8 or even 5kWhp). I know we're limited by the inverter now but selling/scrapping the 3kW one and putting in a 5.99999999kW one just isn't worth it sadly. Wouldn't use the extra power anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Yeah. This would usually be the case. But as I mentioned you inverter has 2 inputs but only one MPPT; so splitting the panels like this in this case achieves nothing.

most inverters with 2 PV string inputs have two MPPT’s for this reason. So it also sounds like they have installed an inverter that is not fit for purpose. I’d push for an inverter with 2 x MPPT’s as your mentioning the shading.

sounds like whoever did the install didn’t understand the technical specs of the equipment they were using.

yeah; don’t let them fob you off on that projoy; both strings need to be routed via it (or an upgraded unit for capacity for 2 x strings of yours only accommodates one string).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Appreciate the reply, interesting to know. It's 9 x375w panels = 3.375kWp.

Here's a graph from the 26th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

@ELM327 Jeeze you just missed out installing last September..... August '22 was a record month for me and for every one here I imagine, 7 days of 40+ kWh days for me which is 95%+ of my peak and then the last week of August was well into 30s kWh. Looking back at the numbers we only had one poor enough day and that was 15 kWh as it was..

Anyway this May is turning out to be pretty darn good, I reckon I'll be at 914 kWh by the end of tomorrow last August I got 924 kWh so 10kWh of my best every month I reckon this month will be

Graph here is August '22, 6.1 kWp system south of Cork city

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

The different with an unshaded South like yours in unreal. My system is 80% the size of yours, but this month will only get 60% of the output. I’ve 4.9kWp - mainly E and rest W. Small bit of shading early and late.

Not that I mind, tbh. I’m still delighted to be getting free juice from the sun and into the EV. You work on the roof available. 

I think today looks to be tiny bit short of yesterday, probably slightly warmer temperature? still a fantastic day. if tomorrow is decent could reach 500kwh for May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

24.6 so far today. Might squeeze another 0.1kw out.

But it's better than yesterday by 0.7.

Like you should reach 500kwh tomorrow if I get 22kwh more.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

21.5 kWh today. Third day in a row over 20 kWh.

3.1 kWp Dublin.

Post edited by Busman Paddy Lasty on

Both similar systems to me. Yeah ended up 24.2 . 3kwp sw and 1kw ne. 3rd day in a row over 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Sorry missed this earlier. My daily commute is 120km round trip that’s if I don’t stop in town in the way back etc. for me I’d like to have 3 days in the car incase **** happens hence the 400km plus range.

also I’d love to have a battery that when connected could power the house also.

I arrive home most days about three so winter charging isn’t a runner but May to October I reckon most of the distance can be completed with solar and the rest night rate in the darker months. I’d be happy to leave the car sit charging Saturday Sunday also.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Mine is split 1.7 south, 1.4 west. Only problem is west panels getting shaded by neighbours chimney in the evening :(

Not sure how much production is being lost but I doubt four optimisers would ever pay for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

46.8 today and reckon the layer of dust on the panels (the wha?!) is reducing output by ~1kwp... just might take out the hose!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

53.5 kwh a new record. 32kwh sent to the grid even with a roasting tank and everything that could be washed washed.

Definitely going to get a mega month. Wouldn’t have thought it possible when we installed the system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

New record of 34.4kWh today from 4.8kWp system in Fingal. Edged my previous record by 0.1kWh (almost a year ago to the day; 1st June 2022). On course for highest ever monthly generation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

45.4 for me today

• Registered Users Posts: 14 super_dad

Fifth day after new install and 30.9kWh again today, exact same as yesterday. 4.1 kwp roof mounted, south facing in Donegal. Clear skies all day so this might as good as it gets !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

New record 55.2 and finally a cloud less day, I think this is the max I can push.

Shame about all that export but 140kwh of full batteries is easy with 150kwh+ in 3 days.

A perfect wonky curve (due to chimney)

• Advertisement

Ever so slightly better than yesterday - which was previously my all time high.

Was keeping an eye on it during the day. Line in Red was today, blue = yesterday. It was out-producing yesterday until 15:00 or so and then it flipped. T'was close all the same.

38.9KWh yesterday and 39.62KWh today.....and for those of you in Dublin area.....

Todays solar radiation was 8230 tomorrows is forecasted to be 8232. So more of the same. Bring it!

Post edited by bullit_dodger on

Advertisement