Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

My new installation online today, 15.2kWh edit: 21kWh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

mp3guy wrote: »
    My new installation online today, 15.2kWh.

Wow, where are you and what size array?

You buggers in the deep south I bet, hoarding all the sun while Donegal freezes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My new installation online today, 15.2kWh.
    you were going for a really big array weren't you?

about 15kwp of panels, 2 inverters?

what did you end up getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Dismal week this. Haven't produced over 5kWh since the 6th.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wow, where are you and what size array?

You buggers in the deep south I bet, hoarding all the sun while Donegal freezes.
    graememk wrote: »
    you were going for a really big array weren't you?

about 15kwp of panels, 2 inverters?

what did you end up getting?

I am down south indeed. It's a 10kWp array, but I might have gotten more than 15.2kWh today, still figuring out how to read off the inverter numbers correctly. Still emptied 12kWh worth of battery pretty quickly after the sun went down, might have to expand.

• Advertisement

I am down south indeed. It's a 10kWp array, but I might have gotten more than 15.2kWh today, still figuring out how to read off the inverter numbers correctly. Still emptied 12kWh worth of battery pretty quickly after the sun went down, might have to expand.

I assume you have quite a high electric demand?

graememk wrote: »
    I assume you have quite a high electric demand?

Somewhat yes, very heavy in the evening. Exported almost 10kWh :( so I need to move some things around.

Somewhat yes, very heavy in the evening. Exported almost 10kWh :( so I need to move some things around.

I'm confused...

You generated 15kWh, used 12kWh from your battery after dark, and exported 10kWh?

If you exported 10 of the 15 generated, how did you fill the battery?

I'm confused...

You generated 15kWh, used 12kWh from your battery after dark, and exported 10kWh?

If you exported 10 of the 15 generated, how did you fill the battery?

Was charged from the grid on night rate before, wasn't near empty by the time the sun came out.

Was charged from the grid on night rate before, wasn't near empty by the time the sun came out.

Ah gotcha. I had a similar issue yesterday. I only just changed the settings to charge up on night rate, and of course that day was the first decent day we've had in nearly a week. I didn't export any, but I put 0.5kWh into the Eddi.

• Advertisement

Ah gotcha. I had a similar issue yesterday. I only just changed the settings to charge up on night rate, and of course that day was the first decent day we've had in nearly a week. I didn't export any, but I put 0.5kWh into the Eddi.

Figured out the inverter numbers, I actually yielded 21kWh yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wow, you're gonna be pumping it out come May

slave1 wrote: »
    Wow, you're gonna be pumping it out come May

Damn right. I managed 36+ in a day here in Donegal in August.

Mp3guy could potentially get 100kWh in a day. Double my capacity and further south.

I'll have 7.4 panels come the brighter days but crappy aspect and shading, still it will be interesting to see max day generation

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Figured out the inverter numbers, I actually yielded 21kWh yesterday.

Are you sure you aren't double counting somewhere, not doubting you but that output would I think be multiples of what many people say yesterday.

Personally I got 5.4 in the South East yesterday 5.6 kw East / West.

What panels/orientation and Inverters do you have?

E30M3 wrote: »
    Are you sure you aren't double counting somewhere, not doubting you but that output would I think be multiples of what many people say yesterday.

Personally I got 5.4 in the South East yesterday 5.6 kw East / West.

What panels/orientation and Inverters do you have?

32x320Wp panels, 14 ESE (heading 105 degrees), 18 SSW (heading 195). 2 strings each, east facing panels going to 4.2kW inverter and south facing going to 5kW inverter w/ DC coupled batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,625 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

3 phase house so, mp3guy?

I'd love to charge my car up with 22kW AC :D

No, only single phase. Brimming with energy...

32x320Wp panels, 14 ESE (heading 105 degrees), 18 SSW (heading 195). 2 strings each, east facing panels going to 4.2kW inverter and south facing going to 5kW inverter w/ DC coupled batteries.

Photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

6.7kwh today 19th Nov
    4.4kw system

• Advertisement

No, only single phase. Brimming with energy...

Ah ok, so you're ignoring the max export limit of the ESB of 6kW or do you have a way around it?

Very interested in this as I plan to have a large outbuilding erected. If I plaster it with solar panels, as is my intention, I will also go well over that limit and it would be silly to limit myself to just 6kW in inverter(s)

unkel wrote: »
    Ah ok, so you're ignoring the max export limit of the ESB of 6kW or do you have a way around it?

Very interested in this as I plan to have a large outbuilding erected. If I plaster it with solar panels, as is my intention, I will also go well over that limit and it would be silly to limit myself to just 6kW in inverter(s)

I'll still only export 6kW max, but even on the peak summer days if I'm sending 6kW to the grid that leaves me with 3kW + change to run everything else (25kWh daily usage excluding car which has a 64kWh battery).

Annually I'll produce 125% my usage, and in the future I'll swap the oil boiler for a heat pump so will definitely soak up any residual power there, but may have to super size the battery storage or get a smallish 3kW turbine to fill that night time gap. Hoping that tech will mature in the next 5ish years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

Anyone what happens if you do feed in over the 6kW. Without measuring export at the moment I expect they won't know?

I'll still only export 6kW max

How do you manage that? Guesswork, a high base load or can you limit one or both of your inverters? Or would you simply never really produce more than base load + 6kW because of the orientation of your strings?

If the latter, not as easy for me as all of my panels will be 100% south facing. I had hoped for and E-W setup on my outbuilding, but that's not possible with the size of it and the type of roof it needs to have

idc wrote: »
    Anyone what happens if you do feed in over the 6kW. Without measuring export at the moment I expect they won't know?

I expect they won't know :pac:

How do you manage that? Guesswork, a high base load or can you limit one or both of your inverters?

My Hybrid Inverter has an export limiter, anywhere between zero (don't export anything) and max, on the unit touchscreen, very easy to navigate

idc wrote: »
    I expect they won't know :pac:

I'd expect that when they start smart metering feed-in for payment they could determine if you push in more than 6kW during a certain period of time and give you a call, or possibly even remotely disconnect your smart meter from the grid...
    How do you manage that? Guesswork, a high base load or can you limit one or both of your inverters? Or would you simply never really produce more than base load + 6kW because of the orientation of your strings?

If the latter, not as easy for me as all of my panels will be 100% south facing. I had hoped for and E-W setup on my outbuilding, but that's not possible with the size of it and the type of roof it needs to have

My inverter(s) allow limiting of export between the two of them.

My inverter(s) allow limiting of export between the two of them.

Between the two of them? You mean you can set a limit on either? Surely they don't talk to each other / have CT clamps measuring each other's AC output?

I know it can be done with one inverter, but I will, like yourself, end up with two inverters and I can imagine it wouldn't be so easy then. Please share all the details!

Between the two of them? You mean you can set a limit on either? Surely they don't talk to each other / have CT clamps measuring each other's AC output?

I know it can be done with one inverter, but I will, like yourself, end up with two inverters and I can imagine it wouldn't be so easy then. Please share all the details!

Neither can produce 6kW, so one is unlimited and the other watches to see how much the other is putting out and ramps itself down (if the battery is full) to prevent too much energy going out. Obviously if you have heavy loads/hot water/car pulling this might never happen, but on a sunny day when you're out driving your EV, battery is full and hot water tank is full, this would kick in.

So the smart inverter has a CT clamp on the other inverter so checks the AC output of the other inverter and then limits itself so total export is <6kW?

• Advertisement

So the smart inverter has a CT clamp on the other inverter so checks the AC output of the other inverter and then limits itself so total export is <6kW?

Well both need to have a ct to charge the batteries?

I think our solis inverter can do that too if we had a ct installed for it.

Advertisement