Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

unkel wrote: »
    So the smart inverter has a CT clamp on the other inverter so checks the AC output of the other inverter and then limits itself so total export is <6kW?

Essentially yes, the hybrid inverter has a modbus meter in the board that both inverters feed into, it knows its own AC output and can compare that to the total going through the modbus and dial itself down as a function of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Isn't it great to have these functionalities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭CoBo55

slave1 wrote: »
    Isn't it great to have these functionalities

Be better to understand what they're talking about... Couldn't see the missus cooperating with that:D
    I'd love it.

Next plan is hooking things up so a service reads the forecast for the next day and decides whether or not to charge my battery on night rate. Powerwalls do this apparently but all you need is a raspberry pi, the right inverter and a bit of python.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

mp3guy wrote: »
    Next plan is hooking things up so a service reads the forecast for the next day and decides whether or not to charge my battery on night rate. Powerwalls do this apparently but all you need is a raspberry pi, the right inverter and a bit of python.

Interesting little project and a website that might help with that is solcast.com.
    You can set up a free account, fill in details of your solar PV system and then you can use it to get forecasts of the solar generation by your system for the next 3 days, they also have a REST endpoint you can use to get that data in json format.

The weather in Ireland is fairly unpredictable though so sometimes the forecast even 1 day ahead is wildly wrong (as is Met Eireann) but a lot of the time it's close enough. You can even upload actual readings from your inverter to help its algorithm to improve forecast accuracy for your system.

The main purpose of the site seems to be for commercial solar farms to use the 1 hour ahead forecast to be able to bid to suppliy the grid. 1 hour ahead seems to be required for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

Now there's a huge added bonus for my Sofar ME3000SP Storage Inverter. For other who might also have this unit, and not realize, it's got a Passive Mode for charging, so a Raspberry Pi can be linked directly to the inverter to control it's charging.

19.7kWh today, only 0.9 managed to escape to the grid this time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just goes to show, plenty of panels will provide plenty of power!

How much of your useage was covered by that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Super stuff, you must have enviable aspect, I managed 4kW from front of house 4.1kW string, heavy shading from around 12.30pm

graememk wrote: »
    Just goes to show, plenty of panels will provide plenty of power!

How much of your useage was covered by that?

70%, so far. About 11kWh was dunked into the battery but was gone soon after sundown due to a heavy load I can't move earlier in the day, plus the usuals like the oven etc... Otherwise got a little hot water and the EV soaked up the scraps.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Super stuff, you must have enviable aspect, I managed 4kW from front of house 4.1kW string, heavy shading from around 12.30pm

My south facing string got solid sun from about 9am to 3pm. Shaded outside of that, but it's at almost 45 degrees so that helps a lot with the low winter sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My problem is that although I have space for another 20 panels on the house, it's west facing which doesn't perform very well in winter when you need that extra capacity.

The south facing panels do better but I have no more room on the garage. Tempted to put a ground mount array in the garden though. I have loads of space.

533897.jpg

The light blue line is my boundary. The area in red is behind my back fence and currently a barren wasteland pending conversion into more lawn.

I could add a full line of south facing ground mounted panels on that side...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I could add a full line of south facing ground mounted panels on that side...

Any chance you could build another structure there and put them on top? Just to get two uses out of the space at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Would you be comfortable sharing the overall cost of your pv setup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

richie123 wrote: »
    Would you be comfortable sharing the overall cost of your pv setup ?

Are you offering to go halves Richie? I don't see what's in it for you tho?

Any chance you could build another structure there and put them on top? Just to get two uses out of the space at least.

That's actually not a bad idea, it's a huge space so we have considered putting a summer house or similar up there.

The wife near shat herself at the suggestion of having ground mounted panels there mind you lol. But we could build something there and panel it.

Out of curiosity, what is the ideal angle for south facing panels?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That's actually not a bad idea, it's a huge space so we have considered putting a summer house or similar up there.

The wife near shat herself at the suggestion of having ground mounted panels there mind you lol. But we could build something there and panel it.

Out of curiosity, what is the ideal angle for south facing panels?

Best thing to do is go here, punch in some numbers and play with the angle yourself to see how it would affect your installation. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

E30M3 wrote: »
    Are you offering to go halves Richie? I don't see what's in it for you tho?

Haha.nope it would just put your serious output in context.

24.5kWh today, strongest day yet.

edit: 10.24kWp

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

6. 8kwh full sun day.
    Arch like the Dublin spire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

would be good to post your kWp when posting daily totals! Especially with mp3guys figures in the mix ;) !!!

Today was good for November 5.4 kWh but yesterday worst day of month at 0.9 kWh on SE/SW 4.65 kWp system. North Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

Sorry most of the usual lads that post I this probably know what I have.

4.4kw south east

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    Sorry most of the usual lads that post I this probably know what I have.

4.4kw south east

ha ha no worries Declan, I'll probably start remembering what people have too the longer i stay and post here! :D

4.4kWh here in Donegal today. Last 2 days have been a persistent downpour, 0.5 and 0.8kWh.

Next few days are to be relatively mild, and then some sunshine for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

12.7 Kwh / 6.4 Kwp

Diverted most of it to heating water, the battery was charged by 11:30. Bigger battery would be nice...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

8.8 kWh today.
    3kw system south facing in Dublin.

1.7kw of panels on the rear. Just waiting for them to be connected to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

16 kwh today from 5kw system facing south. unfortunately exported 6kwh of it!

wow and i though I was doing well with 5.4 kWh. Then again it not unexpected as half my panels are on a shaded SW roof at this time of year due to lower sun blocked by my neighbours roof. Just need to win the lotto to double my single story extension to raise the panels higher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

At this time of year, I'm back to my roof 2.7kW since my shed roof is now blocked by the row of houses behind. I'm delighted with my 5.09kWh generated today since I've such a shallow 22deg pitched roof.

It's been a pretty decent month (in Dublin anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

5.3kwh today from my 2.88kwp SW system. Not bad for midwinter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Managed 1.8kWh today from our 2.48kw system in donegal. Long gone are the dizzy figures of October, November has been miserable in the northwest. Low sun not helping, in full sun today peaked out at 1kw.

Advertisement