Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

mp3guy wrote: »
    ? The Eddi has two CT clamps, one can go on the grid and one can go on your solar, see page 21 here.

You can Physically connect two CT's but for the purpose of the Eddi diverting power to the immersion, it only delivers what would otherwise be exported to the grid. A clamp reading PV generation will play no part in immersion diversion. That's why it's only supplied with a single CT clamp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I fitted an Eddi myself, I got a good deal on my PV install so decided to go for it to capture any excess below 1.2kW (as 1.2kW+ will go into an EV) and so far it's ensured no excess makes it's way to the ESB network.
    It also integrates into the MyEnergi app so well and nice to be able to Boost the immersion from anywhere or adjust timings etc from your phone.
    Come Summer the App also allows you to switch from EV to Eddi and visa-versa which will be handy.

The Eddi becomes worth it when you have the other elements of the MyEnergi family i.e. a Zappi and Hub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

slave1 wrote: »
    I fitted an Eddi myself, I got a good deal on my PV install so decided to go for it to capture any excess below 1.2kW (as 1.2kW+ will go into an EV) and so far it's ensured no excess makes it's way to the ESB network.
    It also integrates into the MyEnergi app so well and nice to be able to Boost the immersion from anywhere or adjust timings etc from your phone.
    Come Summer the App also allows you to switch from EV to Eddi and visa-versa which will be handy.

The Eddi becomes worth it when you have the other elements of the MyEnergi family i.e. a Zappi and Hub

I think it's easy to argue for and against it. I rarely notice if I've diverted water into the Eddi most days since I still have a short boiler heating cycle every morning. Thinking about it now I should try switching off hot water altogether on the boiler to see how I get on. The problem in the winter is automation as you really need to decide whether or not to use the boiler for water depending on the forecast.

I think getting anything but an Eddi for hot water is a bit useless. Sure the iBoost is a thing, but if you think you'll ever get an EV down the road, you'll want a Zappi and then you'll need an Eddi anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Most of this I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Duine_Eigin

I think it's easy to argue for and against it. I rarely notice if I've diverted water into the Eddi most days since I still have a short boiler heating cycle every morning. Thinking about it now I should try switching off hot water altogether on the boiler to see how I get on. The problem in the winter is automation as you really need to decide whether or not to use the boiler for water depending on the forecast.

I think getting anything but an Eddi for hot water is a bit useless. Sure the iBoost is a thing, but if you think you'll ever get an EV down the road, you'll want a Zappi and then you'll need an Eddi anyway.

I wouldn't switch off your boiler entirely. If possible, you should manage your hot water by temp setpoint at a certain time. In my case, I have an Eddi and a heat pump (along with 3kW solar and a Zappi). I have the heat pump set to heat water in the morning before night rate ends and give me a water temp of 48deg. If there has been enough solar from the previous day and the water temp is at 48deg or above, the heat pump won't come on. By managing by temp set point and time, you are guaranteed to have hot water exactly when you want it.

The stat on the immersion connected to the Eddi is set to 65deg so on these winter days, there will always be some water for the Eddi to heat. This means if there is a particularly sunny day, they Eddi will still take up the excess and not export.

Also re the Eddi, people tend to forget it's more than just a diverter device. I got the optional relay board for mine which allowed me to connect a temp probe to the hot water tank and monitor hot water temperature from the Myenergi app. The relay board will also allow me to use the heat pump to heat the water with excess solar rather than using the immersion. I haven't set it up yet but I plan to do it before the summer.

• Advertisement

What's good about the Eddi is also it's a constantly improving product with firmware updates...and it's cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Curses...

Didn't check the forecast this morning.

Yesterday was a miserable 0.5kWh so I wasn't overly optimistic. Now there is a load of washing sat in the machine that I could be drying for free. Instead I've just topped 5.8kWh and have exported 0.4.

I just turned on the electric underfloor heating in the ensuite just to spite the ESB. I'll go for a shower when I get home just to get the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LionKing7

Hi,

May I know how you guys monitor these outputs?

Bought a new house with Solar PV panels installed. When inquired about the Solar PV Panels, builder was not able to provide more information about it. Was only told that "260wat per panel so 7 panel house is 1,820 watts". Got the Trannergy inverter later and when trying to configure it, asks for a System Size (kWp) and Feed-in Tariff(FIT).

Googled it and tried to contact the company to understand this but no response yet.

Can anyone please help to figure this out as I don't have much knowledge in Solar PVs.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

LionKing7 wrote: »
    Hi,

Bought a new house with Solar PV panels installed. When inquired about the Solar PV Panels, builder was not able to provide more information about it. Was only told that "260wat per panel so 7 panel house is 1,820 watts". Got the Trannergy inverter later and when trying to configure it, asks for a System Size (kWp) and Feed-in Tariff(FIT).

Well your System size will be 1.82 kWp (260 watt * 7 panels) and the feed in tariff is currently 0 as there is none (unless your in northern ireland - don't know if they have one or its value)

When you say you got the Trannergy inverter later did you have to get it yourself or was that supplied with the house?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hi,

Googled it and tried to contact the company to understand this but no response yet.

Can anyone please help to figure this out as I don't have much knowledge in Solar PVs.

Thanks in advance.

your system size is 1820kwp

feed in tarrif is 0.

most likely you will only get your daily generation, (i assume theres a trannergy app or something?)

• Advertisement

idc wrote: »
    Well your System size will be 1.82 kWp (260 watt * 7 panels) and the feed in tariff is currently 0 as there is none (unless your in northern ireland - don't know if they have one or its value)

When you say you got the Trannergy inverter later did you have to get it yourself or was that supplied with the house?

Thanks for the reply. I'll configure it now.

Long story short: Yes when we move in to the house we asked how does the Solar PV panels work and builder said it's all set up. Few months later friend visited and asked about inverter. Was looking for that everywhere and then realized that builder hasn't installed it. Surprised as builders as well as Engineer who did snag report didn't find that. So once we informed to builder they installed the inverter.

Thanks again for your advice.

graememk wrote: »
    your system size is 1820kwp

feed in tarrif is 0.

most likely you will only get your daily generation, (i assume theres a trannergy app or something?)

Thanks for your reply. Is it 1.82 kWp or 1820 kWp?

Yes there is a app from Trannergy which is not much user friendly. I'll try that now.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thanks for your reply. Is it 1.82 kWp or 1820 kWp?

Yes there is a app from Trannergy which is not much user friendly. I'll try that now.

Thanks again.

Sorry, its 1.82kwp!

A first for me on 4.1SW with heavy shading installed early November, broke the 5kWh mark today and went on to 6.3kWh, probably won't see that for a while, outlier day?

slave1 wrote: »
    A first for me on 4.1SW with heavy shading installed early November, broke the 5kWh mark today and went on to 6.3kWh, probably won't see that for a while, outlier day?

There were a few clear days like today earlier in the month during the first cold spell, might have some more!

28.8kWh today (5.76kWp SSW 19.4kWh, 4.48kWp ESE 9.4kWh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,625 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice stats mp3guy :D

You on 3 phase electricity? What inverter(s) do you have?

unkel wrote: »
    Nice stats mp3guy :D

You on 3 phase electricity? What inverter(s) do you have?

Single phase, one of these https://midsummer.ie/buy/solax/solax-x1-hybrid-5 and one of these https://midsummer.ie/buy/solax-inverters/X1-4.2. They can load balance to scale down production to cap my export to 6kW dynamically.

Bit of a return to better days lately. After the stinking turd of a 19th with 0.5, I had 6kWh and 4.4kWh in the 2 days since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

There were a few clear days like today earlier in the month during the first cold spell, might have some more!

28.8kWh today (5.76kWp SSW 19.4kWh, 4.48kWp ESE 9.4kWh).

Is your set up a non domestic ??? Looks like a number of large arrays, what is the peak output if you dont mind ?

holdfast wrote: »
    Is your set up a non domestic ??? Looks like a number of large arrays, what is the peak output if you dont mind ?

Domestic in terms of I don't have a business or a farm yes, but I'm not in a housing estate.

Peak DC is 10.24kW, peak AC is 9.2kW with export capped at 6kW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

Fair play, serious setup. Along way to been self sufficient there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

Domestic in terms of I don't have a business or a farm yes, but I'm not in a housing estate.

Peak DC is 10.24kW, peak AC is 9.2kW with export capped at 6kW.

As a matter of interest, what would be you kW output at maybe noon a dull cloudy day - a day when you cannot see the clouds or even be able to tell where the sun actually is ? Does it cover whatever base load you have ?

championc wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what would be you kW output at maybe noon a dull cloudy day - a day when you cannot see the clouds or even be able to tell where the sun actually is ? Does it cover whatever base load you have ?

On a very dull day I'm still only looking at between 2-4kWh. I'm very close to the coast so it's often I get sea mist which is just killer. Would peak around 800W, which would cover the baseload.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Hi apologies for jumping on to your thread but I just have a quick power question that you may be able to help with - so I've been contemplating getting a Solar energy system, but I'm a bit concerned about the shading from near-by trees that will impact AM production. I can see significant shading on my south facing roof (170 azimuth) before 10:30am.

The morning sun will have low energy and lower impact, also it is generally clouded over many mornings till 9/10am anyway. How significant is this for a typical installation? Has anyone had any similar issues and data to put a guestimate on % production loss?

Thanks in advance....

u2me wrote: »
    Hi apologies for jumping on to your thread but I just have a quick power question that you may be able to help with - so I've been contemplating getting a Solar energy system, but I'm a bit concerned about the shading from near-by trees that will impact AM production. I can see significant shading on my south facing roof (170 azimuth) before 10:30am.

The morning sun will have low energy and lower impact, also it is generally clouded over many mornings till 9/10am anyway. How significant is this for a typical installation? Has anyone had any similar issues and data to put a guestimate on % production loss?

Thanks in advance....

I have 2 aspects, 7 panels on SE and 8 panels SW more or less. 8 panels SW are on a single story extension at about 20 degrees, neighbours roof shades much of this roof till about midday in the depths of winter plus 1 large tree also impacts later afternoon/evening (Oct - Mar) production but using this https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html to estimate how much i should be generating approximately for october i was at 94%, nov 68% and dec 69% of expected values.
    Only had system in since October so havn't seen how it performs compared to these projections in the summer.

I have 2 aspects, 7 panels on SE and 8 panels SW more or less. 8 panels SW are on a single story extension at about 20 degrees, neighbours roof shades much of this roof till about midday in the depths of winter plus 1 large tree also impacts later afternoon/evening (Oct - Mar) production but using this https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html to estimate how much i should be generating approximately for october i was at 94%, nov 68% and dec 69% of expected values.
    Only had system in since October so havn't seen how it performs compared to these projections in the summer.

Do you have micro-inverters/optimizers on your system? I will have full sun from 10:30am till 5pm approx. Just trying to determine if optimizers are worth the additional fee in my case to try max morning potential. Can't see them improving output significantly enough in the morning to return a reasonable payback period?

u2me wrote: »
    Do you have micro-inverters/optimizers on your system? I will have full sun from 10:30am till 5pm approx. Just trying to determine if optimizers are worth the additional fee in my case to try max morning potential. Can't see them improving output significantly enough in the morning to return a reasonable payback period?

I had dual panel optimisers initially but it looked like they didn't make much difference so after talking to installer we decided to remove them. If I was you I'd see how system performs first and then decide if its worth adding them.

I had dual panel optimisers initially but it looked like they didn't make much difference so after talking to installer we decided to remove them. If I was you I'd see how system performs first and then decide if its worth adding them.

Yep think so, can't see them improving production enough with my scenario. The payback period at the present cost does not seem worth it to me.

• Advertisement

Back to daily stats !!

6.3 kWh 23rd January (a lot better than 0.5 kWh on 20th lowest so far this month)
    After a long spell of 2s and 3s or lower, nice to get a few days 5 and higher :)

4.65 kWp (2.17 SE, 2.48 SW) North Dublin.

Advertisement