Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

DrPhilG wrote: »
    12 to water? Are you heating a lake??

Never takes more than about 3.5 to max my Eddi.
    deravarra wrote: »
    what size is the hot water cylinder?

300L, there would have been multiple showers during the day so it would have been stone cold then heated up, used a bit and heated again.
    I have the immersion set for element 1 only so it’s never fully heated starting off the day.
    Just checked and last night (timer boost) it only used 1.9kWh whereas if it was stone cold would have used around 9kWh before element 1 would have automatically shut off.
    Each element 2.65kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The wife is delighted with the solar panels anyway. I’ve never done so much laundry in my life. Between the recent pressure washer purchase and the solar panels Im being kept busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

ParkRunner wrote: »
    The wife is delighted with the solar panels anyway. I’ve never done so much laundry in my life. Between the recent pressure washer purchase and the solar panels Im being kept busy :)

Exactly the same here.
    Spent today putting on the washing machine and dishwasher for half the day.
    8kwh still ended up going to the iBoost for hot water.

On another note, I noticed my meter running backwards today.
    I’ve ended today with 3kwh less on my meter....
    Surely that shouldn’t be the case?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Exactly the same here.

Old meters run backwards.. just make sure your meter readings don't run backwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mun1

Best day for me ever with 28kwh from a 5kw array . Had a lot of washing done last few days so I pushed about 10kwh into a storage heater I can control( good to heat centre of house in these cold nights ) . Rest went into dishwasher and washing machine along with 7 into cylinder .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

51kWh today from 10.24kWp array.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thursday 27.2kWh
    Friday 27.5kWh
    Saturday 30.1kWh

I've taken more in 3 days than I did in the month of December.

Plus the wife was home most of the day so we only exported 1.2kWh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

39.2Kw today following on from 40.8kw yesterday. Could get used to this as long as weather continues to play ball :-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Exactly the same here.

Stop putting on the appliances and let it run backwards as fast as it can.

Run the appliances on night rate.

graememk wrote: »
    .. just make sure your meter readings don't run backwards..

Why?

• Advertisement

Backwards is legit, perfect net metering.

In other news another high for me today, bang on 30.0kWh

KCross wrote: »
    Why?

Meter readings, So say if meter was at 3000 in Jan and 2000 in July.. that's minus 1000.. don't know how that would be handled

graememk wrote: »
    Meter readings, So say if meter was at 3000 in Jan and 2000 in July.. that's minus 1000.. don't know how that would be handled

Well, that’s not the homeowners problem, that’s ESBs problem. Nothing illegal about it as long as you have submitted your NC6.

The idea would be to let it run backward as long as you can without drawing attention. Even when it’s going backwards it would still be going forwards for many other hours so it’s unlikely to have gone negative over a 2mth period, but possible of course. Be clever! ;)

Be very happy there, only your excess will take the meter backwards, keep that meter as long as you can, Winter months and dual day/night rates will be the negatives as you’ll have feck all excess in Winter and can’t avail of day/night rates with that meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

slave1 wrote: »
    Be very happy there, only your excess will take the meter backwards, keep that meter as long as you can, Winter months and dual day/night rates will be the negatives as you’ll have feck all excess in Winter and can’t avail of day/night rates with that meter.

Yes. Exactly.
    I don’t have a day night meter, so I can’t take advantage to any night rates.
    So the idea is to not draw attention to myself with negative meter submissions? Having said that, I haven’t submitted anything to Esb networks. My installer said I didn’t need to submit anything, unless he did it for me. I did get the grant etc.

Anyways, sorry for changing the thread topic.
    Another 30kwh today, and 3 back to the grid again....

Yes. Exactly.
    I don’t have a day night meter, so I can’t take advantage to any night rates.
    So the idea is to not draw attention to myself with negative meter submissions? Having said that, I haven’t submitted anything to Esb networks. My installer said I didn’t need to submit anything, unless he did it for me. I did get the grant etc.

Anyways, sorry for changing the thread topic.
    Another 30kwh today, and 3 back to the grid again....
    The nc6 has to be submitted to esbn and seai for the grant.

And a photo of your main consumer unit was submitted too, don't worry, SEAI not linked to ESB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thursday 27.2kWh
    Friday 27.5kWh
    Saturday 30.1kWh
    Sunday 11.4kWh
    Monday 23.5kWh

Bit of a dip on Sunday, but a fairly impressive day today given that we had snow on and off all day as shown by the not so smooth generation curve.

549350.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

Great day today and noticed for first time generating more than rated value of my panels. i have 15 x 310w (4.65kWp) panels split SE and SW more or less. Graph tool displays values every 5 minutes, at 12.05 recorded 4.7kW :) Watching the actual inverter I've seen at least 4.9kW :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It was cold today and PV production is inversly related to temperature. I maxed out at 3743W today which is pretty good going at this time of the year for a 4.8kw E/W split and a 3660W AC inverter. The East (100 degrees actually) string maxed out at 2396.5W and the West(280) at 2049W - at different times of course.

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    It was cold today and PV production is inversly related to temperature. I maxed out at 3743W today which is pretty good going at this time of the year for a 4.8kw E/W split and a 3660W AC inverter. The East (100 degrees actually) string maxed out at 2396.5W and the West(280) at 2049W - at different times of course.

In that case temperature today didn't really impact my panels at all as I regularly exceeded 4.65 kW. Don't know the breakdown between SE and SW when I exceeded 4.65 as that's not recorded. Garo if I remember correct are you in Dublin?

Yes north Dublin. Temps do have an impact. Every panel data sheet comes with a temperature coefficient. For instance mine have a coefficient of -0.39 %/K Which means at 5C they produce roughly 3.9% more than at 15C. Of course panel temp is not the same as ambient temp as they are dark coloured and direct sunshine will heat them up a good bit.

The nominal power rating of any module is given based on certain irradiance, spectral distribution and temperature. It seems the standard is 800W/sq.m. irradiation intensity, 20C temp, spectral AM 1.5 and wind speed 1m/s. So it is quite possible for your panels to produce more if any of those parameters vary in your favour.

garo wrote: »
    Yes north Dublin. Temps do have an impact. Every panel data sheet comes with a temperature coefficient. For instance mine have a coefficient of -0.39 %/K Which means at 5C they produce roughly 3.9% more than at 15C. Of course panel temp is not the same as ambient temp as they are dark coloured and direct sunshine will heat them up a good bit.

Doh I mis understood previous message. So basically when panel is colder can generate more. So its likely in middle of summer when temperatures are higher I won't see as high generation

Possibly. OTOH the sun will be higher in the sky so the angle at which it hits the panels may be better. For instance my west facing panels max out at 45 degree angle of incidence this time of the year. In two months that will be down to 28 degreees (lower is better as the irradiance is cos of the angle). So right now the best my panels do is 71% compared to if the panel was facing the sun drectly. In June that will be 88%.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 banana5kin

irishchris wrote: »
    40.8 yesterday. Think that's record return for me. So annoying to see Esb getting large chunks of my producion for now. Getting hybrid and battery this month to take some of it and fit should make up for rest from July. Tomorrow looks another beauty of a day before the cold broken weather returns next week

I'd be interested in how you're hooking it up to your existing setup, I'm looking something similar as I intend expanding my 3kw SSE setup to include an additional 1kw East and West and am reluctant to export to the ESB.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭championc

banana5kin wrote: »
    I'd be interested in how you're hooking it up to your existing setup, I'm looking something similar as I intend expanding my 3kw SSE setup to include an additional 1kw East and West and am reluctant to export to the ESB.

Regards

You shouldn't put East and West on the same string or you will kill the output of each when one is producing and the other is in shade

championc wrote: »
    You shouldn't put East and West on the same string or you will kill the output of each when one is producing and the other is in shade

Thats not strictly true, there are conditions where east/west will work on single string see
    https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/an-eastwest-spit-of-solar-panels-on-a-single-string-can-work-well/
    https://www.energymatters.com.au/images/news/2013/east-west-solar-paper.pdf

Another alternative is optimisers. A new installer/supplier organised a presentation by Tigo which i attended and that was a common use of their optimisers. But to be honest at 40-50 euros per panel it seems like a lot. they have some impressive monitoring capabilities also which can even pin point faulty panels in your string but again i think was like an extra 200 euro not sure if any home buyer would pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 banana5kin

idc and championc,

I'm unfortunately all too aware of panels on strings. I only have 9 x 330w panels (6 on the same roof, remainder on an extension roof) and my installer installed 4 micro inverters (combination of 3 BPE 2 port and 1 BPE 4 port inverter). So having investigated the reasons behind it, I did have a bit of shading at certain times of the day (Sep - Feb) due to some trees in the garden. This is the first spring/summer with the panels and I'm happy with the output (when the sun comes around to my panel orientation). I am in the process of getting a garden room built and have a fair bit of unobstructed space to the East and West so thought it would be a good idea to add the panels on a ground mount as I don't have any more space on the roof of property..

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

These last 2 weeks have really highlighted to me how much excess energy is generated that is more or less wasted. Battery is full by 11. Hot water divderter is filling the tank, but we don't need that much hot water, not loads exported yet as we've 2x300l water tanks, but really see the advantage of a bigger battery, as by 10pm I'm buying power agian. Hopefully the FIT comes in soon

• Advertisement

600l hot water! Why would you need that much?

Advertisement