Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

If the longer element is connected then there probably isn't much I would do. Also if you don't normally use the immersion - i.e. have gas or oil - then I would just turn the Eddi off as long as you have the old meter. As long as your net consumption is not negative - raising suspicion - you will get more back in exporting the electricity than using the eddi.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I know! its gone back almost 4kWh since i posted.
    my issue now though, i had planned to move to an EV this year at some stage, cant get a night meter now, wouldnt be the end of the world as i would be planning to do 90% of my charging at work. but I would have to get the tails upgraded to install a Charger, can that be done without changing the meter?

Depends on who is doing the upgrading. If ESB is coming out to your house then they probably will change the meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

garo wrote: »
    If the longer element is connected then there probably isn't much I would do. Also if you don't normally use the immersion - i.e. have gas or oil - then I would just turn the Eddi off as long as you have the old meter. As long as your net consumption is not negative - raising suspicion - you will get more back in exporting the electricity than using the eddi.

Only if you don't care about CO2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Depends on who is doing the upgrading. If ESB is coming out to your house then they probably will change the meter.

Thanks. Will talk to the PV installer he has offered to do it as he would be putting the Zappi I had planned.

I know the ESB have to be involved to remove the fuse and fix the seals afterwards. But if he was doing the work. It might stop them changing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd think long and hard, do the sums and see is it worth the risk of meter change.
    I'm not an electrician but don't see why the main house fuse needs to be removed to install an EV charge point, it's essentially not dissimilar to an oven or electric shower???

• Advertisement

..as an example, I've generated 159kWh this past week with 17kWh going back to the grid.
    That's not enough to do proper calcs on but an indication.
    You could always just sit back and tracks your figures for a month or so, the EV charge point grand looks safe and if you do get an EV you can always charge from a 3pin for the first few months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

slave1 wrote: »
    You Jammy Whammy, that's an old old meter, you have in effect net metering FIT so it would be a cold day in hell before I'd let the ESB into my house to replace that.
    You are very very lucky....don't ever go near a Smart Meter

Re EDDI, if the temp stat on your immersion elements have reached max then the element will cut off, element 1 (usually the top one) will shut off and the EDDI will move onto element 2 (usually the bottom one).
    When both temp stats are saying max temp then the EDDI will do so also so no excess PV will be diverted.
    You're only other way around this is to pop the cap off your elements and turn the dial up on the temp stats, this will mean hotter water and therefore more use of your PV to heat up (what I've done, easy peasy)

Today I've done washing machine X2, dishwasher and element 2 nearing max temp soon so I plugged in the car, 4.6kW coming in off the PV with 19.3kWh generated so far today (1.3kWh exported)

Are all old (spinny wheel) meters going backwards when you export back?
    If that's the case then wtf did I just ask the esb for a smart meter in advance? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I'd think long and hard, do the sums and see is it worth the risk of meter change.
    I'm not an electrician but don't see why the main house fuse needs to be removed to install an EV charge point, it's essentially not dissimilar to an oven or electric shower???

It’s more to do with the current cabling around the meter won’t be sufficient to carry the load of the charger for 7-8 hours.

It’ll be a few months before I make any changes car wise. Will have plenty of data to work with. The meter is currently at the same reading as it was on Monday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Boscoirl wrote: »
    It’s more to do with the current cabling around the meter won’t be sufficient to carry the load of the charger for 7-8 hours.

It’ll be a few months before I make any changes car wise. Will have plenty of data to work with. The meter is currently at the same reading as it was on Monday night :)

Livin the Dream there Bosco

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Are all old (spinny wheel) meters going backwards when you export back?
    If that's the case then wtf did I just ask the esb for a smart meter in advance? :(

Not all, some do, some don't. Just cancel that ESB call and find out after your install.
    Only downside to old spinny meters is you can't get night rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Not all, some do, some don't. Just cancel that ESB call and find out after your install.
    Only downside to old spinny meters is you can't get night rate.

Yeah their email said they will show up in the later half of the year and call like 3 months in advance.
    I'll have my system in by then so we shall see :D
    House is built in '97 so not sure if it has the reversing meter.
    If I get lucky and it does then I am assuming this is best case scenario and FIT is then worthless?

Well FIT details due July so you'll have time to make up your mind

mp3guy wrote: »
    Only if you don't care about CO2?
    Really? The electricity you export will also be used by someone saving CO2 that would have otherwise gone to generate that electricity. Heat is probably the poorest use of electricity anyway.

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Yeah their email said they will show up in the later half of the year and call like 3 months in advance.
    I'll have my system in by then so we shall see :D
    House is built in '97 so not sure if it has the reversing meter.
    If I get lucky and it does then I am assuming this is best case scenario and FIT is then worthless?

Check if it has a symbol that's like a ratchet. 1997 you most probably don't have a backwards spinning meter. It's the first symbol on the bottom right below the spinning disc in this photo: https://www.electricmetersales.co.uk/product/iskra-e89e2-single-phase/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Really? The electricity you export will also be used by someone saving CO2 that would have otherwise gone to generate that electricity. Heat is probably the poorest use of electricity anyway.

Yes. Burning oil instead of using green energy to heat your water? Transmission loss for your exported energy, always better to use on site. If you export at a point in time the grid is green you're definitely worse off.

What do you think the transmission losses from you to your neighbour are? And what are the transmission losses for the same electricity that comes to your neighbour from the grid? Which one is more?
    Last I checked 50% of Ireland's electricity was being produced by non-renewable i.e. fossil burning sources. So if you reduce your neighbour's consumption you are saving on fossil fuel consumption too. Except when it is very windy, the Irish grid is currently not very green. Given that non-green electricity is produced in plants with an efficiency rate of 50% or less you might actually be saving more CO2 by exporting to the grid than by using it to heat your own oil. The best CCGT plants have an efficiency of 55-60%. Which means that for every watt they put into the grid they generate almost 2x the heat and CO2.
    What I'm trying to get at here is that electricity is a fungible source. Whether you burn oil or the grid does to supply your neighbour with electricity its all the same to the planet. When the Irish grid becomes substantially greener your argument will be correct. But not while we produce half our electricity by burning stuff.
    Heating stuff is a poor use for electricity simply because oil and gas are good at it. The typical boiler has an efficiency of 75-90%. So to get 1kwH of heat you are using maybe 1.3kWh worth of oil. The gas peaker on the other hand is using 2kWH worth of nat gas to produce that one 1kWH of electricity for your neighbour which you just exported.
    The situation is reversed when you consider transport. Motors are an extremely good use of electricity and 90% or more efficient. So using oil for a vehicle - with its 15-25% efficiency is horribly wasteful in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A very jagged curve yesterday, but a month's best 30.3kWh.

550310.jpg

I was out all afternoon but managed to only export about 7kWh. Charged the car on the granny cable to prevent the battery getting anything til I left. Then ran all appliances and Eddi after I'd gone.

DrPhilG wrote: »

I was out all afternoon but managed to only export about 7kWh. Charged the car on the granny cable to prevent the battery getting anything til I left. Then ran all appliances and Eddi after I'd gone.

And I thought I was the maddest guy around :D

And I thought I was the maddest guy around :D

I knew it was going to be a scorcher but sod's law I had to go out all evening lol

I'm on track for more than 600kWh this month which would be a new record, best so far was the 570 or so in August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm on track for more than 600kWh this month which would be a new record, best so far was the 570 or so in August.

May is usually the best month in Ireland, so goes to reason that april will be too.

i generated 44kwh and exported 21kwh's yday.. hah. Need to get my immersion fixed and just switch it on when its belting out 4kw+

(car not at home unfortunately)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,338 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thought I was on for a perfect curve yesterday but some patchy cloud in the evening messed it up :(

550328.JPG

Record day for me in the midlands yesterday, 33.7kWh generated, 2.6 exported, 220litre hot water cylinder hopping, 2 X Washing machines, dishwasher, a quick electric shower, breakfast/lunch/dinner, brought the Leaf from 45% to 75% and the meter was still on the same number at 7PM as it was when I looked at it 8AM.
    Happy days, now I've fek all use for everything generated today apart from house load and water, will dump remainder to Leaf

16-04-21.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Record day for me in the midlands yesterday, 33.7kWh generated, 2.6 exported, 220litre hot water cylinder hopping, 2 X Washing machines, dishwasher, a quick electric shower, breakfast/lunch/dinner, brought the Leaf from 45% to 75% and the meter was still on the same number at 7PM as it was when I looked at it 8AM.
    Happy days, now I've fek all use for everything generated today apart from house load and water, will dump remainder to Leaf

16-04-21.jpg

Which diverter do you have? And what type of cylinder do you have? What is your primary source of heating?

Sorry for the q's. Just had my cylinder upgraded and a pump added to bring all the taps up to 2.5-3 bar

deravarra wrote: »
    Which diverter do you have? And what type of cylinder do you have? What is your primary source of heating?

Sorry for the q's. Just had my cylinder upgraded and a pump added to bring all the taps up to 2.5-3 bar

EDDI diverter.
    220L factory insulated twin immersion/coil cylinder.

My primary source of house heating is multi-fuel stove (half a bucket of coal max used any day this mild Winter), I also have oil burner which is rarely used, one storage heater in converted garage.
    Hot water is partially heated by stove but I've 90% of the heat going to rads so little into the hot water tank, electricity immersion is hot water source.

Bit pissed on the hot water cylinder as I had it replaced in 2019 due to leak, if I was more future thinking I should have replaced it with a stainless steel 300l tank with dual immersion and greater heat retention, such is life.

EDDI diverter.
    220L factory insulated twin immersion/coil cylinder.

My primary source of house heating is multi-fuel stove (half a bucket of coal max used any day this mild Winter), I also have oil burner which is rarely used, one storage heater in converted garage.
    Hot water is partially heated by stove but I've 90% of the heat going to rads so little into the hot water tank, electricity immersion is hot water source.

Bit pissed on the hot water cylinder as I had it replaced in 2019 due to leak, if I was more future thinking I should have replaced it with a stainless steel 300l tank with dual immersion and greater heat retention, such is life.

I've got OFCH - grant vortex installed about 2-3 years ago. Using a smart set up for zoning. Excellent heating coming from the system. Wanted to upgrade cylinder as we are doing up the ensuite this year, and wanted to remove the Triton T90 we are currently using. Kingspan 210 ltr stainless steel tank installed, along with Grundfoss Scala 2. Great pressure all around the house.

Hoping to get a solar PV installed next year. Diverter to be included. Hope to see some oil savings when I get the diverter in.

Stainless steel cylinder excellent at retaining heat. Dropped only 3 degrees over a 12 hour period after the heat source to the cylinder was turned off.

Would love to go for ASHP, but after talking with plumber, not sure how feasible that would be. A lot of stuff to be done to the house before it would be a go.

deravarra wrote: »
    ...A lot of stuff to be done to the house before it would be a go.

I hear you, cavity insulation done, floors taken up and insulated, all windows redone for third time with triple glaze, all downstairs walls 50mm insulated slabs, some ceilings spray foamed, some window sizes reduced (what were they thinking in the 70's), front porch added.
    Long road but worth it with comfy living.
    Big attic job coming up this year, I'll be 50mm slabbing it and absolutely destroying the cold tanks in insulation as I feel that's a particularly weak spot.

I'm an efficiency freak so would like a 300l tank like yours but the maths.....

I hear you, cavity insulation done, floors taken up and insulated, all windows redone for third time with triple glaze, all downstairs walls 50mm insulated slabs, some ceilings spray foamed, some window sizes reduced (what were they thinking in the 70's), front porch added.
    Long road but worth it with comfy living.
    Big attic job coming up this year, I'll be 50mm slabbing it and absolutely destroying the cold tanks in insulation as I feel that's a particularly weak spot.

I'm an efficiency freak so would like a 300l tank like yours but the maths.....

Considering the fact that I will be more than likely selling the house in about 15 years and retiring to much warmer climes, not sure I want to do all that work :)
    But I do want to make some improvements, and the current system (pardon the pun) a bit better.

15years is a long time, lots of Winters and BER is a selling point, I've gone from lower Ds/E when moving in (my own estimation based on other houses in original condition sold in the estate) to A3/B1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Can I ask where do you guys see what you generated vs exported?

I have a solis inverter and can see what i generated in the solis home app and the portal but not what I actually consumed.

Advertisement