Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

10.6kwh here in galway in the end but it took until well into the afternoon for the sun to break through the clouds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

9:15 in Donegal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Similar story here in galway unfortunately and not looking promising for the next week either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Any way to calculate when a 2 story house will stop casting shade on the shed behind it? It started in November and wondering when the sun will be high enough to clear it, I expect another 2 months at least.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Theory crafting here and general thoughts.

If I was ever to expand my array. Where would I put my panels, the roofs I'm putting them on are NE,/SW. All are low slope.

The NE works well in the summer mornings but don't get a whole lot of action in the winter.

I had originally thought that I'd just double up. But now I'd think I'd go SW only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The "progress" behaves like a sine wave. You didn't say when in November, but assuming it started in on 1st of November, then the "mirror" point on the other side of the inflection point of Dec 21st will be ~50 days later (50 days being Nov1st -> Dec 21). So around 10th-15th of Feb.

SW all day long.

I was giving this a bit of thought myself recently, when I was seeing all these great generation figures with south facing orientations. Everyone's case is a little different of course, but when you think back to why your adding panels, it's (probably) not because your short of generation in the summer. I'd bet you with your existing array right now you probably do pretty well in Apr-Sept, or well enough that it's giving you the lions share of your usage. Tthe days are bright, you can dry clothes on the line, don't need lights, we're living more outdoors, etc

It's always in winter where we struggle. This is where the days are long, we're using more lights, the tumbler dryer is on a little more, we're stuck inside watching telly playing xbox etc and we've short solar days. Makes sense to totally max out any south facing array for these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

You can mobile apps that will track the sun for you and show you at any time of the year where the sun will be by moving you phone around. You might have to get up on to you roof to see though. I think also you might have to pay a fee to get the forecasting

Here is the one I have

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andymstone.sunpositiondemo&gl=IE

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Yep as soon as April hits (even a bit of march) solar covers all my day use.

Unless we get an electric replacement for the amorak, which a) doesn't exist and b) not currently feasible as it doesn't do a lot and our requirement to tow has reduced since we got the livestock trailer for the tractor. (Besides we would be overloaded anyway if we actually filled it)

Maybe a fit will change the sums but I'm not going to put anything in until the dust settles. Keeping options open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

3.2 KWH from a 2.5kwp south facing system,Galway.Looks like thats it for the next few days.😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

9.8kWh from a 8.16kwp 200° facing system. Better than I was expecting today so can't complain and 5.4kWh into the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

8.5 from a 6.9 system. South facing (175°). Very up and down!

Wasnt expecting much today but worked out ok. The peaks were higher than the last two cloudless days and it started later in the day. But generated 14.3 kWh on my 6.1 system which isn't too bad. Still don't know how much of it I am using as I am still waiting on a Shelly EM energy monitor to use with my Home Assistant so I can track my household consumption and home much I'm exporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭paddyirish23

2.38 for my 1st day (well from abt 1pm onwards) of solar panels. 4.3kw system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

What inverter do you have? Surely that has either a CT clamp or MODBUS meter?

Great output figures. Are you near the South coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Another 2.7 today...

12.03 for the month so far.

Its a Solis G5 and yeah just looked at it again an it does have a socket for CT and also a socket marked DRM. I have the data logger already in it but I presumed the monitoring of exporting was only on the Hybrid models

• Advertisement

Yeah straight inverters don't need to see the grid import/export. A CT can be added for export limiting.

Not so good today from 6.9 @ 175!

Got the GivEnergy API up and running, so I can scrape the JSON files from their cloud and do my own charts. Fairly muck this morning :-(

T'was snowing at one stage about 11am! Then blue skies from 1:30pm. Highest (instant) production of the month so far of 1180 watts, overall 2.1 Kwhr for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

So, so day yesterday with 3.5kWh although a better than expected day today making double figures, 10.8kWh and peaking at 5.42kW which is the highest I've seen.

Monthly total so far of 64.7kWh, so production slowly ramping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭paulbok

6.84kw panels, SSW orientation in Roscommon . 4.8kw battery

First full day of production, installed yesterday.

7.0kwh today, 5 by 1pm. It was charging the battery at that time as production greater than house usage. Got nearly to 35% full before feeding back to the house after the rain came after 2pm. Dull morning, sunny at lunch with occasional clouds and then crap after 2pm. Very happy with that for a first day, though I know it's not the norm for this time of year. Didn't expect to produce more than I was using this time if the year, esp with all of us at home at the time. Daily usage around 25-30kwh this time of the year so hit 25% from solar today.

Augers well for good weather production.

Just as well as the installers confirmed it's not a suitable NR meter in the board for full NR usage, was only installled back in the day with a couple of storage heaters in mind. No night charging of the battery for me until the smart meter plans get some cop on.

Was there a separate board and supply for the storage heaters or something like that?

I've heard of separate (timed) meters that only power on during night rate for storage heaters? Has that all been ripped out?

Maybe you can changed to a normal day night meter.

Congrads with the install. You'll be spending the next 2 weeks now looking at your phone every time the sun comes out from behind the clouds wondering "hmmm, lets check what's the production is now?"

That Night rate conundrum is a bit of a ball ache at the moment. Ain't going away either I reckon until close to 2023-2024 which is when all the meters will have been switched over to smart meters, irrespective if we want it or not. Once we have saturation in the meters, then they will come up with some hopefully interesting plans.

He kinda lost me with the explaination of how it was configured, but the gist was, it was only setup to run the heaters at the time. I would need to get a proper night meter, but I'd guess there's not much chance of that for ESB networks with the SM rollout, esp now I have solar.

Someone posted on the feed in thread during the week with the first smart plan from a supplier that wasn't a complete rip off, so they might fall into line a bit quicker than that.

Will chat my supplier next week to see If I can change my plan to an all day rate (1c cheaper than current day rate) as NR not a runner, assuming I get nowhere with Networks about a proper night meter.

Suppliers not big on changing during contract though.

• Advertisement

I have heard of that. But if you don't have storage heaters anymore it's not a concern.

They are still installing day night, they can't stop.

Just ring your supplier and they'll arrange a change to a day night

Advertisement