Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It is! I had a feeling it was coming, max was 92kWh last year before I fixed my export voltage issues. Actually had to do some tricks to achieve it, namely drip feed the car over a few hours at only 3kW and export at 6kW to keep the total load around 10kW for as long as possible. Same forecast today but no EV battery to soak it up so expecting a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Not our best day, those broken clouds are holding us back a bit as we would expect to be breaking the 50kWh barrier at this stage, today looking promising so we shall see.

On the plus side we have just done the meter reading for the last two months and are down to 10 day units and 71 night units so bill will mostly be standing charges at this rate.

Car is charged so a lot will be going back to the grid today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

24kWh in Cork and as close to a cloudless day as you can get. Ruined by our ongoing over-voltage and inverter cutoff issue at about 330pm! Only a max of 2.9kW, we have gotten 3.3kW before but a bit of haze pulled that down a little.

Battery on the cards once the voltage problem is resolved. Did what we could with hot water and a storage heater for the cold bathroom, as well as charging every power bank in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

As close to a perfect curve as you can get for me in Cork as well (first one since the end of March) finished off at 44.5 kWh biggest day yet for me of the year so far.

like you @Chris_5339762 my max peak out put is 6.1kW but only maxed out to day around 5.6-5.7kW. I have seen my system hit 6.1 from around 10:30 in the morning some days. I am now thinking is it to do with the temp on the panels as you loose some efficiency with the higher temps. I was down around 7-10% off my max output today.

The more experienced people on here might shed some light on it. I was under the impression is was high level cloud or hazy days but not too sure now

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭buzz11

Beautiful curve! above 1kW from 8am to 7pm..brilliant Whats your roof aspect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

40kWh on the nose today, exported 5.4 as I'm not at home.

100% due south and the roof is about 43degs elevation. Very lucky with my position and site, no shadows at any time of the day and it exposed so open sky all around.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Your slope is actually off optimum for this time of the year. My panels are flat and really coming into their own, but you have much much better winter production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

43.9kW yesterday, another record. Between the earlier start by the panels and the battery, I'm nearly at 100% self sufficency, only need to buy a bit off the grid in the early mornings, just 0.6kw bought today. Or should I say 'borrowed' from the grid, over 15kw exported yesterday.

4.8kw sent to heating hot water yesterday, over 20 since Monday, keeping oil usage at a minimum 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭championc

So time to plan a 10kW DiY battery me thinks 😏

• Advertisement

I really would like to up my storage from 4.8 to 9.6/10. 4.8kw not enough for my setup, probably 7.2kw would be the sweetspot, but not a huge difference in price between a new 2.4 and 4.8kw (€2k) from the supplier.

Not sure if I am confident enough to tackle a diy job though. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If you took your time I don't think a DIY battery is beyond anyone. Plenty of information on here and other sites to take you through it step by step

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭championc

I can absolutely guarantee that anyone who knows how to use a screwdriver and a spanner, they can do this. It's more time consuming wiring the BMS. Everything else is very straight forward

See this thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058246061/10kwh-lifepo4-diy-battery-addition-here-is-my-write-up#latest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Welcomed 42.3 yesterday, EV 1 fully charged, good few washes on and hot water maxed so little exported. Cloudy today so that’s likely the best May day and highest YTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Record day for us in the midlands although still a few clouds about.

Car already charged , 7.8kW into the Eddi and a sizeable proportion given back...sooner those batteries arrive the better.

I've been cursing you and Mr Q the last hour. That idea is now embedded for further research.

Gonna take any questions to the other threads, but one last one here, the rough cost of your 10kwh battery setup + BMS + bits was around €1500? Probably would get that for my 4.8kw battery afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes that's quite likely. My upgrade from a 2.4 to 10kWh cost me 600 Eur net but I got very lucky with the battery price. It has gone up a few hundred since. If you are patient and wait for a sale you may get the batteries at 1400ish (including VAT). The current list price is 1600+. BMS is about 220 and bits and bobs about 150 or so. Can be cheaper if you get a lend of some things from fellow boardsies.

Fabulous day again today and generated 41 kWh, there were clouds which held me back but a good clear spell right in the middle of peak production.

Interesting comparison to yesterday where is was a totally cloudless day, my peaks were much higher today than yesterday. As you can see I hit 6.1 kW at 10:30am today, a few clouds rolled in but I was consistently higher.

To the brains trust out there....is this down to panel temp or high level clouds. Maybe on a cloudless day the panels don't get a chance to cool down as when you have clouds rolling in the panel cools down a bit, the sun comes out then boom you are back up at max performance??? I don't know

Yep it's the temperature of the panels. Especially if your getting spikes just after cloud cover.

Still a decent chill in the air these days

That makes sense now looking again at my curve again those spikes are after a cloud cover. I think the daily production limit of my system is probably less than 50kWh..going by yesterdays curve which is as good a day as your going to get, I got 44.5kWh. I know there is a couple more weeks of the days lengthening but that's only about 10-15 mins extra on each side on sunrise and sunset...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

That's about right on par with my values, 7kwp on 6kw inverter S facing.

On May 19th I had a perfect curve/day and it hit 45.4kwh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Definitely breaking my record of 27.4kWh today......

What a start to the month!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

it's a 7.5kwp system (20 x 375wp panels)

the day after my last post here it hit 55ishkwh

kills me to see it all going out to grid for free, but it's impossible to buy the EV I want just now, come winter I'm expecting it will even struggle to feed the house, time will tell

will check out that website, tnx

New record of 45.5kw today, patchy cloud as well, so 50kWh definitely possible these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

48.1 for saturday 7.4 split east west .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

50.3 yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

52.5 here yesterday but what was a beautiful day ended with lots of cloud. Similar pattern for here again today by looks of forecast

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Amazing the difference in weather for such a small country. Had a very respectable 31.7kWh yesterday, but am sitting on a paltry 2.7kWh as I type. Will be lucky to break 5kWh today.

Looking on track to get very close to 60kwh today.

Exported 20+ already, car full, battery full.. running the townland on solar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd say I'll be lucky to break 5Kwhr I reckon. Max pv power was 800watts at 9am and hovering around 425watts at the moment.

Tomorrow should pick up a bit, back to ~20Kwhr

Advertisement