Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you watch RTE News for your daily updates on Covid?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You referred to outlets used by other people as nonsense!

I asked, more than once , the simple question; if you find fault with all the media outlets so far mentioned then where do you get unbiased and balanced news yourself? It's not a hard question and is most definitely not an attack.

Look liberal fighter, I'm guessing you get yours from RTE, the journal, the anti Irish Times etc. If I engage with you, give you anything to feed off you'll just stamp on my opinion, so are you worth engaging with is the one !?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don2012 wrote: »
    Look liberal fighter, I'm guessing you get yours from RTE, the journal, the anti Irish Times etc. If I engage with you, give you anything to feed off you'll just stamp on my opinion, so are you worth engaging with is the one !?

Then why did you raise the question in the first place if we're all deluded? Enlighten us as to where we should source our news.

And we can engage without the insulting terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Left leaning??? That is laughable. You have no idea what my political persuasions are.

How about just answering the question? You haven't giving an opinion yet except to knock the sources others have stated.

I've seen enough to know the gang on here all stick together and attack when they see a different opinion from their own. There you go again, "you haven't answered my question" "knock sources others have stated" sticking together like the bullying gang you liberal bullies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Crawl back under the bed and keep your muzzle on, good lad. Doesn't take long for the gang to all start once one crawls out.
    I've seen enough to know the gang on here all stick together and attack when they see a different opinion from their own. There you go again, "you haven't answered my question" "knock sources others have stated" sticking together like the bullying gang you liberal bullies are.

Mod: I couldn't care less about which side of the argument your opinion falls on, but you're clearly unable/unwilling to engage in any meaningful fashion.

Don't post in the thread again. And if you continue along these lines in other threads, I'll remove your access to the forum.

<edit>Week off for breaching threadban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

MadYaker wrote: »
    But I don't check updates every day. Oh and Dr John Campbell on youtube, he does what the media are supposed to be doing.

Excellent updates from Dr. John every night. Sensible and balanced.
    And one of a tiny minority to call out the shambolic WHO and their shameful links to the CCP.
    If there's any justice in this life, i look forward to the day those gombeens at the top of this supposedly 'health organisation' will be frog-marched before an international court in the Hague.
    Their arrogance, even 7 months down the line is simply breath-taking....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭banie01

washman3 wrote: »
    Excellent updates from Dr. John every night. Sensible and balanced.
    And one of a tiny minority to call out the shambolic WHO and their shameful links to the CCP.
    If there's any justice in this life, i look forward to the day those gombeens at the top of this supposedly 'health organisation' will be frog-marched before an international court in the Hague.
    Their arrogance, even 7 months down the line is simply breath-taking....:mad:

Thanks for that.
    Where does Dr John get his numbers for Irish specific data though?

If we strip away the bias of any of the media reportage, what actual dataset is this lad reporting?

I know the OP has been thread banned and didn't engage when asked where he was getting his Ireland specific info, so I do appreciate your info.

Thing is outside of the HSE, the INMO and some other industry/union sources that give capacity and bed availability reports as well as infection numbers, there are no other valid data sources for Irish numbers.

So choosing not to use RTE or IT et al for sourcing info and going to Dr John or elsewhere, is a matter of preference in tone and bias of the reports?

As he would be presenting the same data?
    Or is his dataset different?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Where does Dr John get his numbers for Irish specific data though?

If we strip away the bias of any of the media reportage, what actual dataset is this lad reporting?

I know the OP has been thread banned and didn't engage when asked where he was getting his Ireland specific info, so I do appreciate your info.

Thing is outside of the HSE, the INMO and some other industry/union sources that give capacity and bed availability reports as well as infection numbers, there are no other valid data sources for Irish numbers.

So choosing not to use RTE or IT et al for sourcing info and going to Dr John or elsewhere, is a matter of preference in tone and bias of the reports?

As he would be presenting the same data?
    Or is his dataset different?

If he mentions a study or anything like that he will usually provide a link to it in the description underneath the video. He also provides links to where he gets his figures from. He uses this site a lot https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

MadYaker wrote: »
    If he mentions a study or anything like that he will usually provide a link to it in the description underneath the video. He also provides links to where he gets his figures from. He uses this site a lot https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

So it's the reportage that seems to be issue at hand then?

As the data source for that website is the ECDC, which uses the HSE daily numbers as it's source.

I just want to tease out what the issue with RTÉ is?
    Aside from the usual propaganda tangent.

Everyone is reporting the same number, the issue at hand seems to be RTÉ are pushing the toe the line, public safety, better safe than sorry narrative?

Whilst Dr John (PhD) is presenting a differently framed narrative of the same numbers?

So, I'm struggling to see what the issue is at all?
    Blaming RTE for propaganda, but not illustrating how or why has done the OP no favours.
    Discussion needs input from both parties, not a wild claim and then just attack any questions rather than support the original claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

banie01 wrote: »

So it's the reportage that seems to be issue at hand then?

As the data source for that website is the ECDC, which uses the HSE daily numbers as it's source.

I just want to tease out what the issue with RTÉ is?
    Aside from the usual propaganda tangent.

Everyone is reporting the same number, the issue at hand seems to be RTÉ are pushing the toe the line, public safety, better safe than sorry narrative?

Whilst Dr John (PhD) is presenting a differently framed narrative of the same numbers?

So, I'm struggling to see what the issue is at all?
    Blaming RTE for propaganda, but not illustrating how or why has done the OP no favours.
    Discussion needs input from both parties, not a wild claim and then just attack any questions rather than support the original claim.

I struggle with a newscaster calling on George Lee to offer expert advice.

So we have one journo interviewing another journo, neither of whom has any scientific background.

George hides behind gravitas and the R number.

Pelezico wrote: »
    I struggle with a newscaster calling on George Lee to offer expert advice.

So we have one journo interviewing another journo, neither of whom has any scientific background.

George hides behind gravitas and the R number.

But George Lee isn't providing expert advice.
    If you, or indeed anyone at all thinks any of the commentary offered by RTÉ is expert advice?
    It would point to a comprehension issue.

The RTÉ reporters are reporting the best advice as offered by the HSE and NPHET.
    The RTÉ reporters are not formulating the advice, nor are they presenting themselves as experts.

The experts in this situation, are NPHET, the HSE and the medical professionals that are often interviewed for additional commentary.
    Not the reporters, and never have they presented as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ah well they do put their slant on it. George Lee always comes across is if we're mere minutes away from that extinction event meteorite. You'd nearly want to give the poor man a hug if he wasn't so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Ah well they do put their slant on it. George Lee always comes across is if we're mere minutes away from that extinction event meteorite. You'd nearly want to give the poor man a hug if he wasn't so annoying.

George Lee sickens my hole. And we, as taxpayers cough up huge money so that he can sicken my home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Prefer Virgin Media News.

Advertisement