Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book Maintenance

• 09-08-2020 3:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

If a book gets soaked in water is there any way to rescue/restore it?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Seems to be a very time critical thread.

Open and wipe each page with an absorbent cloth such as a paper towel.
    Place it in a warm place (such as hot press) to dry but continually leaf through all pages every 15 minutes or so for a couple of hours to ensure that they do not stick together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Feargale; I think buying a new copy is ye answer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Stigura wrote: »

Let's hope it's not a 1st edition of something worth a fortune?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Seems to be a very time critical thread.

Open and wipe each page with an absorbent cloth such as a paper towel.
    Place it in a warm place (such as hot press) to dry but continually leaf through all pages every 15 minutes or so for a couple of hours to ensure that they do not stick together.

Thanks, but it has 600 plus pages. If I were to attempt what you suggest at my age I think I would be able to access a copy in the Great Library in the Sky before my copy was ready to read again.. I have it lying outside in the intense sun now.
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Let's hope it's not a 1st edition of something worth a fortune?

No, but a nice book, Oxford Essental Dictionary of Word Histories, picked up for €4 in Charlie Byrnes, Galway.

I reckon it's well out of print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

feargale wrote: »
    I reckon it's well out of print.

God, that's a bummer! I feel for ye. I really do :( I too like books.

Ye know the thing about, " What one thing would ye grab, if ye house was on fire? " ? I've always said; My First Edition copy of Mark Hovell " Rats And How To Destroy Them ". They can lay that on my chest, when they lay me down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

feargale wrote: »
    Thanks, but it has 600 plus pages. If I were to attempt what you suggest at my age I think I would be able to access a copy in the Great Library in the Sky before my copy was ready to read again.. I have it lying outside in the intense sun now.

That'll probably melt the binding glue.

On the plus side, you will then be easily able to lay out all 600 hundred pages and dry them much more quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ye know the thing about, " What one thing would ye grab, if ye house was on fire? " ?

Did anyone ever ask that question of Donald Trump?

Advertisement