Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh in August without the Fringe

• 09-08-2020 11:27am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm seeing some silver linings to the Fringe not being on this year, such as:
    • you can actually get around the city in a normal amount of time
    • it's feasible to book a table at pubs or restaurants
    • most significantly, no bloody fireworks at 11pm six nights a week for the @#*!ing Tattoo

Also worth noting that there are some fundraising efforts on for venues and artists. Fringe of Colour are doing an online art festival structured around a weekly drop of films at Fringe of Colour Films. There's also the Fringe Pick 'n' Mix (free short performances) and Fringe On Friday, a ticketed weekly hour-long variety show raising funds for venues and artists. Note that you can pick where your donation goes so e.g. you can donate via the venue page for Summerhall or The Queens Hall. There are also a number of other virtual events still happening, according to the listings.

What other silver linings are you finding to a Fringeless Edinburgh? And what other Fringe-like shows, streams or events are you looking forward to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It's certainly nice being able to get round the city easier! Now it's not on I do kind of miss it though it was nice having so much on! I like how we seem to be getting some interesting things for locals like the new drive in cinema at the corn exchange. It's really just made August feel like any other rmo th now really. Good to give the city a rest it probably needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On a similar note it's just as well the Xmas Markets aren't going ahead, Princes St Gardens is still an absolute mess.

Xmas Lights are up on the Dome too.
    Mad to think they only came down a few weeks before Lockdown #1!

Advertisement