Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China seals off villages after bubonic plague deaths

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sounds scary but isn't, it's very treatable with antibiotics and the rats (well fleas on rats) are the problem, not humans between whom transmission is very rare indeed so it wont spread outside a given area with competent management.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

Bubonic plague has never left. Yosemite park had to close a few years ago in the US because of an outbreak.

Pneumonic plague is the dangerous one these days. You're pretty much ****ed unless you get treated very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

biko wrote: »
    Another outbreak in China. This time they are bringing bubonic plague back.

What's with the accusatory tone? Who are they? And how are 'they' 'bringng' bubonic plague 'back'? 'Back' from where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Deagol wrote: »
    What's with the accusatory tone? Who are they? And how are 'they' 'bringng' bubonic plague 'back'? 'Back' from where exactly?

Sure don't ya know? Them chinese lads always do this on purpose because...... reasons.

• Advertisement

Sure don't ya know? Them chinese lads always do this on purpose because...... reasons.

I'd like the OP to answer this - because as I see it the post is borderline rascist as is if that's what is being intimated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Are CNN blaming this on Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bbpyetf96vjf6xjsavy16zzznoimkoagfrw27w1kq&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I'd like the OP to answer this - because as I see it the post is borderline rascist as is if that's what is being intimated.

Hahahaha get a grip ffs.

Any sound minded person would recognize that the poster is saying that this outbreak originated in China which is a fact in this case. Therefore "they" means China the country not it's people.

Might I suggest that you try to be outraged less and don't be so quick to call everything racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The only thing racist going on in China at the moment is their genocide of the Ugyhurs.

That doesn't seem to count for those who think restraining a whacked out crim is the most racist thing, like ever ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They also had some killer tic Outbreak last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Is saying "they" racist now?

Hahahaha get a grip ffs.

Any sound minded person would recognize that the poster is saying that this outbreak originated in China which is a fact in this case. Therefore "they" means China the country not it's people.

Might I suggest that you try to be outraged less and don't be so quick to call everything racist.

Can you find another instance where I've done such a thing? No? Because I'm not prone to doing so. In this case I don't accept that the OP is meaning 'they' as in a country, it's not normal nor correct to refer to a geographic entity as a 'they'. In the current climate it's being used by right wing 'Trumpists' as a thinly disguised racist attack to blame natural occurances on a race of people.

And putting 'any sound minded person' at the start of a rant is only to disguise you really saying that anyone who disagrees with your conclusions / opinions on everything is wrong. Look up the word 'opinion' in a dictionary some time - though I'm guessing you think a dictionary is full of alternative facts?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The only thing racist going on in China at the moment is their genocide of the Ugyhurs.

That doesn't seem to count for those who think restraining a whacked out crim is the most racist thing, like ever ...

I'd try and respond but your point makes little sense so struggling.... You think that racism by the Chinese elite / government makes it fair game to be racist against all Chinese peoples? Do you see the irony in your comment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Can you find another instance where I've done such a thing? No? Because I'm not prone to doing so. In this case I don't accept that the OP is meaning 'they' as in a country, it's not normal nor correct to refer to a geographic entity as a 'they'. In the current climate it's being used by right wing 'Trumpists' as a thinly disguised racist attack to blame natural occurances on a race of people.

And putting 'any sound minded person' at the start of a rant is only to disguise you really saying that anyone who disagrees with your conclusions / opinions on everything is wrong. Look up the word 'opinion' in a dictionary some time - though I'm guessing you think a dictionary is full of alternative facts?

Jesus, take the day off ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

:pac:

It's wacist

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

Weren't there cases of the plague in Arizona a few weeks ago?

We now have the 'chynaaa virus' and the 'yankee plague'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds scary but isn't, it's very treatable with antibiotics and the rats (well fleas on rats) are the problem, not humans between whom transmission is very rare indeed so it wont spread outside a given area with competent management.
    Pretty much. Though for some reason not yet understood every so often it mutates into a much more virulent strain. So during the various times when plague turned into an epidemic and killed millions it had already been known as a disease but one that normally was rare enough.

If it did go rogue again, yes we have the antibiotics they didn't have in the past, but it needs quite intensive care for patients who have it and a large scale outbreak would very quickly overwhelm medical resources. As H noted above pneumonic plague is a right nasty version and it means it's gone airborne, or rather carried in the airway fluids of the infected. Without treatment the fatality rate is pretty much 100%. It killed nearly 70,000 people in northern China in an outbreak in 1910.

Septicemic plague is even more nasty, again nearly 100% fatality rate and most die with 12 hours of symptoms first appearing. Though like "normal" plague it requires a vector like a flea to transmit, rather than person to person like pneumonic plague.

PS they're all the same bacteria yersinia pestis, just where the infection shows up in the body is the difference. IE and very basically bubonic plague is in the lymph system(lymph glands swell and go black because of necrosis) and kills between a third and two thirds of the infected, pneumonic plague is in the lungs, septicemic plague is in the bloodstream. Both are near 100% fatal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Another leak from one of their chemical weapons research facilities?

Or are they using it as cover for more ethnic cleansing?

Hahahaha get a grip ffs.

Not quite. It may have originated in Mongolia.

• Advertisement

They don't need a cover for ethnic cleansing in Inner Mongolia, because nobody cares. They've (as have the Russians on the other side) been destroying the culture and resettling people for decades. Just as the Ugyhurs have gained attention recently, but few people really cared.. and IMHO they still don't. Sure, people will complain online, but few will invest their money/time/energy in doing anything more than that.

Inner Mongolia is an extremely poor area, with a serious lack of modern facilities. The locals, in many areas, haven't changed their habits from the time of Genghis Khan. So, the disease popping up there could easily be due to the local cultural habits, rather than anything the Chinese did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wasn't the black death that killed half of europe another name for this or maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They have a veto on the UNSC and the bomb , so they don't really need cover, because theres nothing that can be done to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wasn't the black death that killed half of europe another name for this or maybe I'm wrong.
    I think the jury is still out on whether the Black Death was indeed bubonic plague.
    As far as most people are concerned, the Black Death was bubonic plague, Yersinia pestis, a flea-borne bacterial disease of rodents that jumped to humans.
    But two epidemiologists from Liverpool University say we’ve got it all wrong. In Biology of Plagues, a book released earlier this year, they effectively demolish the bubonic plague theory.
    “If you look at how the Black Death spread,” says Susan Scott, one of the authors, “one of the least likely diseases to have caused it is bubonic plague.”
    If Scott and co-author Christopher Duncan are right, the world would do well to listen.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17223184-000-did-bubonic-plague-really-cause-the-black-death/#ixzz6UdQjR0te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

There doesn't need to be another instance where you've done the same thing. Calling someone a potential racist without any evidence is one occurrence too many.

You say you don't accept his use of "they" as meaning the Chinese country and not the people but you have no evidence to support this as it is based on your opinion and now your also trying to say the OP is a right wing Trump supporter simply because he used the word "they".

Do you not realise how ridiculous that sounds?

The irony of you saying me putting any sounded minded person at the start of my sentence is hilarious. I put it there to show how crazy & ridiculous your notion that the OP is a racist for using the word they and you have clearly proven that you are indeed some kind of crazy in your reply to my post. No one on this planet is 100% right about everything all the time. I know that I'm wrong sometimes and I have no problem listening to different opinions to mine on any topic and not dismiss them straight away because they don't agree with me.

What I do have a problem with is people calling others racist without any evidence at all. That is wrong and if you don't think it is then might I suggest you open a dictionary and look up the definition of a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'd try and respond but your point makes little sense so struggling.... You think that racism by the Chinese elite / government makes it fair game to be racist against all Chinese peoples? Do you see the irony in your comment?

What in the name of jaysus are you on about?

I don't recall saying anything that might be construed as racist towards Chinese people!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stewball wrote: »
    Weren't there cases of the plague in Arizona a few weeks ago?

Theres an average of 7 cases in America a year. I found that out a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

It's just bizarre when people are more bothered by an innocuous comment on the internet than the serious topic being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

It's just bizarre when people are more bothered by an innocuous comment on the internet than the serious topic being discussed.

Because on the internet, it is more important to be a victim or be offended than anything else.

• Advertisement

Not really... it's this focus on China as being the source of, well, everything bad. The desire to shift blame has become rather common in the last few months.. not saying that China isn't responsible for a lot of negative things, but there is a rather strong movement to assign negatives to the PRC regardless of the circumstances involved. It's a lot like the focus on Trump with regards to the US. Even where he's not directly responsible, many posters will shift blame over to him.

Some posters get bothered by this. Simple enough really.

Advertisement