Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China seals off villages after bubonic plague deaths

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Not sure people are saying China is behind everything bad. It's undeniable that Covid originated there though, partially due to cultural practices which led to SARS - you'd think lesson learned. And now with this story, people are inevitably going to think "Oh god what now from there".

Of course it would be disgusting if people attacked random Chinese people because of Covid, but there's this cohort of folk who claim even complaining about Covid coming from China is racially charged language, which is just ludicrous. Facts don't care about feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Sure don't ya know? Them chinese lads always do this on purpose because...... reasons.

It hardly matters whether it is deliberate or not.

It's like on Judge Judy when someone wrecks someone else's property accidentally and says 'but it was an accident' and you have her screaming 'but it was your fault'.

I don't know what the situation is with bubonic plague (I think it is endemic to rats in Mongolia and Mexico, I am unsure) but SARS 1 and SARS 2 were both their fault.

The hunting of wild animals was temporarily banned after SARS 1, but was later allowed again, which is probably why we are currently dealing with SARS 2.

Not sure people are saying China is behind everything bad. It's undeniable that Covid originated there though, partially due to cultural practices which led to SARS - you'd think lesson learned. And now with this story, people are inevitably going to think "Oh god what now from there".

Actually, it is deniable that it originated in China considering there are claims of people having covid before Wuhan exploded. That the explosion of covid into international sphere came from China, now, that's definitely true. There's simply so much BS floating around about the whole topic, a lot of which has come from the PRC, but even moreso, from westerners.

As for lesson learned, China has a massive population, many of which are extremely poorly educated, with strict adherence to cultural traditions. Hell, we can see plenty of examples throughout history of western populations not learning from past mistakes, but, somehow China should be different.
    Of course it would be disgusting if people attacked random Chinese people because of Covid, but there's this cohort of folk who claim even complaining about Covid coming from China is racially charged language, which is just ludicrous. Facts don't care about feelings.

Depends on whether these facts are indeed facts, or merely assumptions. Which is something that is rather common these days.

As for saying complaints about China are racist, I wouldn't be part of that cohort, although, I do find that there are many ignorant and racist comments posted about Chinese people... Complain away.. I won't be saying you're a racist for doing so. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Almost every year there are plague cases in the US.
    https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

Advertisement