Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah but whatever about Dwyer being a suspect the Garda who found the bag in the reservoir tried and failed to retrieve it on two separate occasions (I think on one of them he was even off duty). He got it on the third attempt and the contents within it cracked the entire case. I think it was just pure persistence of a regular Garda to find out what was in that bag, he wouldnt have known at the time it could be anything to do with Dwyer, its not like he was a detective, just a regualr copper. He could have easily just dismissed it as any bit of rubbish thrown into the reservoir but he didnt.

Who is the 'secret witness'? I remember at the time there was chatter that one of Dwyers S&M contacts was a female solicitor who was working for the DPP. The rumour was that Gardai found a tape of her having sex with Dwyer but the DPP held this evidence back to protect her career.

I didn't think that evidence was held back. I think it was not reported on in the media to protect her career as judge deemed it would have a detrimental effect on it. So her identity was protected.

There were other witnesses on that trial who used whatever website was discussed. Their identities were fully revealed in the media. Not sure if that was fair on them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I didn't think that evidence was held back. I think it was not reported on in the media to protect her career as judge deemed it would have a detrimental effect on it. So her identity was protected.

There were other witnesses on that trial who used whatever website was discussed. Their identities were fully revealed in the media. Not sure if that was fair on them either.
    yeah there was 3 men who had slept with Elaine o'Hara who had their private lives outed in the public court. iirc one was married so would guess that ended when his wife found out. I dont remember the exact details of what evidence the men gave other than to confirm she was active on a BDSM website, nothing they said was really crucial to the prosecution.

But I always found it unfair that the female solicitor who worked for the DPP and slept with Dwyer had her identity protected. The DPP had no problems outing the three men and turning their lives upside down but she got a level of protection that the men were not afforded. Not sure how the judge squares that circle but those men had careers and families too. Whats good for the goose should be good for the gander but it seems her position as a state solicitor allowed her an anonymity that the men were not afforded. That stinks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I wonder what people's opinions are on the Rachel O'Reilly case which has been mentioned a few times in the thread. A horrific crime.

The conviction of Joe O'Reilly has never sat right with me though.

IIRC it was the mobile phone evidence that ultimately got him convicted but there were no eye witnesses, no murder weapon found, no forensic evidence or any clear cctv evidence he was in the area at the time.

The only image they had was a blurry image of a car which "could have been his", according to police. The police also advised he had a shower in the house after he murdered her and drove back to his job in the Broadstone straight after yet his car was not picked up on any CCTV between his house and his workplace.

There was also endless articles in the papers before the trial about his affair. Other front page stories that appeared were a story about him getting new windows on the house and a front page story showing a photo of him with "a female companion", which turned out to be his sister.

I always wondered was it ever possible for him to get a fair trial by jury. Then there was the whole book of evidence being left in the jury room.

Am I right in thinking a juror was also dismissed for speaking to a reporter during the trial for saying that everyone knows he's guilty. (I cannot find anything on the Web about this so open to correction)

I'm not saying he is innocent or anything like that. I'm just wondering should he have been convicted at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

How did he know the bag was so relevant?

A guy out for a walk spotted the bag and rang the gardai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Definitely has to be Amy Lynn Bradley. She is a girl who went missing on a cruise ship, where she had been staying with her brother and her parents. The way it was handled and the subsequent sightings are just things that never leave you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I wonder what people's opinions are on the Rachel O'Reilly case which has been mentioned a few times in the thread. A horrific crime.

IIRC it was the mobile phone evidence that ultimately got him convicted but there were no eye witnesses, no murder weapon found, no forensic evidence or any clear cctv evidence he was in the area at the time.

The only image they had was a blurry image of a car which "could have been his", according to police. The police also advised he had a shower in the house after he murdered her and drove back to his job in the Broadstone straight after yet his car was not picked up on any CCTV between his house and his workplace.

There was also endless articles in the papers before the trial about his affair. Other front page stories that appeared were a story about him getting new windows on the house and a front page story showing a photo of him with "a female companion", which turned out to be his sister.

I always wondered was it ever possible for him to get a fair trial by jury. Then there was the whole book of evidence being left in the jury room.

Am I right in thinking a juror was also dismissed for speaking to a reporter during the trial for saying that everyone knows he's guilty. (I cannot find anything on the Web about this so open to correction)

I'm not saying he is innocent or anything like that. I'm just wondering should he have been convicted at that time.

A workmate testified that he had initially given him a false alibi. Also he had a strong motive plus his odd behaviour and demeanour after the murder.that's just from my memory sure there was more.

yeah his conviction didnt sit well for me either. Mainly because of the mobile phone mast evidence, it was said in court by the defence that the Gardai had obtained this unofficially from O2 at the time. Im pretty sure o'Reilly appealed it too but the judge wasnt allowing it despite it looking like it was evidence obtained either illegally or unofficially. It seemed like a matter of all involved saying ah sure he definitely did it so we will allow this. I think in other jurisdictions a mistrial would have been called.

For whats its worth I believe he is guilty as hell too but think the actual conviction is dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hello Mr O'Reilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don't remember that one at all. Perhaps because of 9 11 as suggested by another poster. This link gives details on what happened the student:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/child-killers-lover-brutalised-in-jail-says-her-father-26007701.html

It happened in about the last week in August. So, it would have been out of the news by 9/11.
    It was spoken a lot around me because of where the father worked. Everybody said at the time he had lots of help from people he knew.

It happened in about the last week in August. So, it would have been out of the news by 9/11.
    It was spoken a lot around me because of where the father worked. Everybody said at the time he had lots of help from people he knew.

Yeah, read a few articles about it earlier. Sounds like he had a bit of help alright. Some guy with a beard called Alan used to pay the rent and the owners didn't know anything about him.

From what I gather, the guards actually managed to locate him, went to the house, left and were coming back again. That's when he committed the crime. If the guards had actually entered the house when they first arrived, the girl would probably have been saved. Have I got that right?

• Advertisement

Right up until 9/11 happened the main global story at the time was the one up in Belfast where unionists were shouting abuse at Catholic children who were walking through 'their' area on their way to school. It had been going on for weeks and in early September that year international TV camera crews flew in to Belfast to cover the story. I remember CNN covered it and broadcast the hatred of Catholics by Unionists back to America. Everyone was shocked that you had grown women shouting hateful sectarian abuse at children and it had become a global story that all the big news agencies were covering.

Then the two planes went into the twin towers and the media all decamped out of Belfast to cover that story instead. News from Belfast literally vanished over night as the world was gripped about what happened in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

The killing of that kid in Palmerstown in the early 70s. Was, allegedly, satanic elements to the crime.

Killer got a few years and the murder seemed to have been “swept under the carpet”. Again alleged, influence of religious orders in that.

That guy lives in London IIRC and is an prominent member of his church.

I bet he is

Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

For whats its worth I believe he is guilty as hell too but think the actual conviction is dubious.

He lost appeals in 2009 and again in 2012. In 2016, the Supreme Court refused permission for another appeal. Unless one thinks that the appeals process right up to the Supreme Court is in a conspriacy to keep him locked up, then the conviction is legally sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Actually Lorcan Bale, the 16 year old from Palmerstown who killed his 7 year old neighbour by knocking him unconscious, tying him up, putting him in a bag before dragging him to his attic and crucifying him in a satanic ritual in the seventies seems to have an account on let's ride, a cycling website.

Lives in London and is a prominent member of his church as I say.

Scumbag.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Can anybody here remember when two Gardai were killed when there car was rammed by a Stolen Mazda sports car driven at high speed on the N11 Sillorgan Dual-Carriageway back in about 2002.
    It stuck with me because it happened very near where my sister lived when she was going to UCD and the fact that two Gardai died.

Yes, I remember that.

Garda Anthony Tighe, and Garda Michael Padden.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

A workmate testified that he had initially given him a false alibi. Also he had a strong motive plus his odd behaviour and demeanour after the murder.that's just from my memory sure there was more.

Also (if I remember correctly) the fact that he denied returning to the house that morning, when the phone mast evidence showed that he did.

Siobhan Hynes, a young teenager who was murdered on a beach in Connemara, in 1998.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/murder-most-foul-and-the-finger-of-suspicion-26165274.html

I remember reading an interview her dad gave, many years later. He said that he still lies awake at night wondering was she calling out to him, for help, when she was attacked. Heartbreaking.

The murderer was successfully convicted. He has made several appeals, afaik. Nor sure if he is out now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I doubt many on here have heard about this case but I read about it 3 years ago and it's still one of the most chilling I can think of. He just seemed so nonchalant about the whole thing. Having parties and killing prostitutes and feeding them to pigs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

He was even caught up with the law in 97 and was suspected of things in 98 and 99 but slipped through the cracks still remained free to keep killing until 2002!

There was one detail of the case that I feel like I remember reading but can't find it in the wiki. A local woman has witnessed a woman tied up and in distress on the farm but Pickton saw her and bought her off with drugs. Shocking stuff considering he went on to commit so many more murders after that point.

Edit: Found it in new story:
    https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/06/26/star_witness_describes_horrific_pickton_scene.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

david parker ray, the toybox killer, one of the vilest humans to walk the planet id imagine.

aided by his daughter.

https://youtu.be/nwwhd7VzFLI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Parker_Ray

https://allthatsinteresting.com/david-parker-ray-toy-box-killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They are some very interesting cases in the UK.
    One that I heard about in the UK was a 38 year old lady called Julie Pacey who was strangled in her home in 1994.
    On the Friday before she was killed she told her children she heard a knock on the door and said come in thinking it was the girl she looked after. However a man wearing overalls entered the house and left.
    However the mystery also surrounded a blue BMW 5 Series car that she was seen driving and it was parked on her drive whilst her own car was a blue Audi 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Roaul Moat

Threatened to kill police officers. Led to a manhunt for quite a while.

splashuum wrote: »
    Roaul Moat

Threatened to kill police officers. Led to a manhunt for quite a while.

Didnt Gazza turn up to talk him around,with chipper food and few tinnies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The annecy shootings in the French alps in 2012 was another strange one. 5 members of one family shot. 3 were killed but both children survived.

A cyclist was also shot and killed. I think he just happened to be cycling past at the time and witnessed the incident. .

Similar scenario to poor Anthony Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think it was roast chicken. I'm not sure if he showed up but he went on a radio show offering to bring him some cans and a roast chicken and a chat. I can't get my head around how so many people were cheering that thug on. He'd been inside for assaulting his partner's (can't recall now if he was the child's father) kid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper

Noonan treatment of Bridget Mc Cole

2 evil bastxxxx

A snackbox and a few cans of carling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think it was roast chicken. I'm not sure if he showed up but he went on a radio show offering to bring him some cans and a roast chicken and a chat. I can't get my head around how so many people were cheering that thug on. He'd been inside for assaulting his partner's (can't recall now if he was the child's father) kid!
    He showed up with a fishing rod aswell I thought?

pjohnson wrote: »

Ya.....i think he was coked off his tits, aswell at the time (so he claimed later)

Some notable non-murder related crimes

Enron
    Charlie Haughty
    The group of old geezers who did that mad daring jewelry heist. Only caught cos the van the used to case the joint was caught on CCTV
    The bankers caught on tape laughing about the collapse
    The Apple tax evasion (14B?) is criminal too!

• Advertisement

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Andres Brevik in Norway. That one stands out to me as AFAIK he still holds the dubious record of the most deaths from a single shooter, 78 he killed in total.

The far right nutjob in Christchurch (who was inspired by Brevik) killed 51 on his own and the guy that shot up a gay nightclub in Orlando killed 49. But I dont think a single shooter has ever killed more than Brevik did. Bombers like Timothy McVeigh have killed higher numbers on their own but not shooters. For sheer numbers then it is probably hard to top Jim Jones who organised the mass suiicide of over 900 people in the Jonestown massacre.

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Andres Brevik in Norway.

The Las Vegas sniper was another crazy high body and injury count.

RIP to the victims

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Andres Brevik in Norway. That one stands out to me as AFAIK he still holds the dubious record of the most deaths from a single shooter, 78 he killed in total.

The far right nutjob in Christchurch (who was inspired by Brevik) killed 51 on his own and the guy that shot up a gay nightclub in Orlando killed 49. But I dont think a single shooter has ever killed more than Brevik did. Bombers like Timothy McVeigh have killed higher numbers on their own but not shooters. For sheer numbers then it is probably hard to top Jim Jones who organised the mass suiicide of over 900 people in the Jonestown massacre.

Not that it matters....but im.nearly sure brevik killed a dozen or so in a car bombing,timed to distract/call police away from his attack on the island

iamstop wrote: »
    The Las Vegas sniper was another crazy high body and injury count.

RIP to the victims

Motive never revealed either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Roaul Moat

Threatened to kill police officers. Led to a manhunt for quite a while.[/

There was a good program on C4 about that recently. His ex missus had told him that her new fella was a copper hoping that would help keep him away from her. The lad wasn’t a cop at all, and Moat actually had a deep desire to kill police due to the family situation and hardships he had suffered with the authorities. So believing he was a cop Moat hunter him down and shot him dead. It took about a week of a manhunt to find him.
    Dale Cregan in Manchester was a similar type case. An absolute gangster scum, he lured 2 police to the house he was hiding in and shot them dead. He had killed a father and son previously. He is still alive in prison while Moat wasn’t taken alive by the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Phillip Cairns case always stuck with me over the years probably because he was around the same age as myself.

A distant relation of my own was murdered in Galway over 20 years ago, she was a taxi driver and the case was never solved either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, you're right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The rape of a 15 year old in Belfast around 04/05. I remember reading about it at the time. She was on holidays, visiting friends, two lads “approached” her and her friends.

One of the guys sexually assaulted her, threatening her with a screwdriver, while the other kept her two, male, friends at bay with an iron bar. They got beaten and, I think, the two guys took them all to a golf course to rape the girl again.

They’d also robbed the kids and, after the attack, used the girl’s phone to call her mother to tell her what they had done.

I remember at the time thinking how bad it was for her but also sympathising with her friends who had to witness the attack but could do nothing about it. Wasn’t really until I had my own kids that I thought about that call to the mother.

Obviously, I thought it was “low” but didn’t really think too much about it. I do hope the bastards involved live horrible, short, lives.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Motive never revealed either.

Was it not that he was a standard paranoid gun nut?

He spoke about the Government wanting to take people guns and how that right needed protecting.

Not that it matters....but im.nearly sure brevik killed a dozen or so in a car bombing,timed to distract/call police away from his attack on the island

yeah looking it up now he killed 8 in a bomb on a government building in Oslo and then he went to Utoya island where the youth wing of the Labour party were having a meeting/get together and he killed 69 of them there for a total of 78 deaths. AFAIK that 69 is a record for a single shooter which is why far right nutjobs like the Christchurch shooter look up to him, indeed part of their mission is to beat his number of deaths.

There was also something in the Brevik case about the Norwegian special forces who were dispatched to the island, they showed up at the wrong jetty and there was no boat waiting for them. IIRC that mistake cost them about 10 or 12 minutes until they got to the correct jetty and the inquiry found that dozens of lives could have been saved without them having that delay. Its also pretty amazing that Norwegian special forces took him alive. Maybe he was out of ammunition at that point and he just put his hands up waiting for arrest.

21 years is all he got, he's due for release in 2032 at which point he will be 52. Im not sure if the Norwegians can keep him locked up any longer than that. He'll still be dangerous when he gets out, the guy is a hero in far right/anti immigration circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

The attack on the Russell family by Michael Stone.

The attempted murder of Alison Botha.

Turpin family

The rape of a 15 year old in Belfast around 04/05. I remember reading about it at the time. She was on holidays, visiting friends, two lads “approached” her and her friends.

One of the guys sexually assaulted her, threatening her with a screwdriver, while the other kept her two, male, friends at bay with an iron bar. They got beaten and, I think, the two guys took them all to a golf course to rape the girl again.

They’d also robbed the kids and, after the attack, used the girl’s phone to call her mother to tell her what they had done.

I remember at the time thinking how bad it was for her but also sympathising with her friends who had to witness the attack but could do nothing about it. Wasn’t really until I had my own kids that I thought about that call to the mother.

Obviously, I thought it was “low” but didn’t really think too much about it. I do hope the bastards involved live horrible, short, lives.

oh my god, thats horrific. Did they get the guys that did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The assassination of Christopher’Git’ Zambra was a vicious gangland slaying. It was the Sunday of the May bank holiday 2014, a really hot sunny day. He was driving the short distance to his sisters house for dinner and got ambushed as he arrived. There was cctv of the car passing him and a fella out the window shooting. He made a run for it but had been hit in the back and collapsed in a neighbors garden. The shooter then put a few bullets into Gits face as he must have been looking at him pleading, knowing his time was about to end. He had only been out of prison about 6 months after being found not guilty of organising the shooting dead of ‘Champagne’ John Carroll in a pub in the south inner city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The assassination of Christopher’Git’ Zambra was a vicious gangland slaying. It was the Sunday of the May bank holiday 2014, a really hot sunny day. He was driving the short distance to his sisters house for dinner and got ambushed as he arrived. There was cctv of the car passing him and a fella out the window shooting. He made a run for it but had been hit in the back and collapsed in a neighbors garden. The shooter then put a few bullets into Gits face as he must have been looking at him pleading, knowing his time was about to end. He had only been out of prison about 6 months after being found not guilty of organising the shooting dead of ‘Champagne’ John Carroll in a pub in the south inner city.

Live by the sword. What goes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Kel dropping the screw in the Tuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Thiery Henry in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

oh my god, thats horrific. Did they get the guys that did it?

The rapist got 8 years, only served 4. The other lad got 15 months for robbery and assault, he may have “rolled over” on the other lad.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Was it not that he was a standard paranoid gun nut?

He spoke about the Government wanting to take people guns and how that right needed protecting.

I haven’t heard that theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I remember reading with horror that Manuela Riedo rape and murder in Galway - she had been allowed travel to Galway to do a homestay to learn English because her parents thought Galway was safe. She was the second foreign language student to be raped by the same man in less than a month - while he was out on bail he raped and murdered their only child.

I cannot imagine the rage and anguish of the families of the Irish sentencing syatem, where the rights of the cictim and their families are olaced last, where recidivist criminals with 20/40/100 prior convictions walk free, where bail and concurrent sentencing make the concept of justice and punishment a farce.

Until timorrow, 12th August at 5pm, people who want the Irish sentencing, Justice and Probation service to be forced to change can make online submissions stTing what they would like as goals for a reformed criminal justice system. It is an online national survey hidden on the internet.

If you have views email them before 5pm on 12th August (2020) to
    criminaljusticestrategyconsultation@justice.ie

I havn’t heard one politician or media outlet promoting it. No doubt all the left prisoner lobbying organisations will have submitted lengthy wish lists for more leniency.

If these cases have made you crawl with horror, or disgusted at how lenient our sentencing is, or how people can run amuck for so many years and get legal aid after legal aid while victims are not even allowed legal representation in court - make your voice heard;

criminaljusticestrategyconsultation@justice.ie

Deadline is tomorrow, 12th Aug at 5pm
    why not do more than protest on boards - make it count: for the innocent and victims.

I have a particular hatred for the scum
    who attach the elderly and vulnerable - rural crime - pensioners living alone and in fear, who lose their lifes savings, peace of mind, and independence from fear of these predatory vermin. We also have the untagged paedophiles who are ‘entitled’ to sit in playgrounds all day long, the rapists who get suspended sentences ‘because they wern’t hurt’(Judge Herbert quote), and the lifelong vermin who break into houses, steal, lie and add violence to the mix and get off free because of their criminal upbringing... isn’t it time we ended it all.

I see that killer of murdered vet Catherine Gowing got 37 years prison sentence in the UK - unheard of here in Ireland. Is that the biggest crime - that of our criminal justice system on us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Denis Rader AKA the BTK strangler. Always shivered me to the bone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

And how he got caught is nuts. After 20 years he asks the police if they can trace a floppy disk. They say nah. He sends its and is caught.

His court testimony is up there on youtube. Chilling stuff.

Advertisement