Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Emery loves that cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

What a feeling for Villareal's keeper to both take the match-winning penalty and also save the match-winning penalty!

Didn't the AFCON final finish 19-18 or something a few years ago? I remember Eto'o missing his 2nd pen and it was the only one missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Delighted to see De Gea miss after his attempts to wind up the Villarreal takers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Oat23 wrote: »
    Not a lottery and you certainly can't call De Gea unlucky. Failed to save a single penalty and then misses his own to lose it.

I view a penalty shootout as a complete lottery.

He is unlucky as he will go down as the player who missed the deciding pen in a European final, someone has to be the unlucky one.

Although, making a player wait so long for one of the pens and then missing his own, could be seen as a bit of karma.

I don’t think Ole made a substitution in normal time

In a European cup final

As long as he’s in charge United won’t do a whole lot

Bizarre he didn't.

Agree with your last point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fairly skilful medal handing out there. Good technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That was a poor Villarreal side.

Man Utd really if they showed up should have won.

De Gea needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hardly. A couple were in a great place, waist high and about a meter and a half in from the post that if the keeper went the right way its a handy save. Shaws was poxy too

Was sure Shaw’s would be saved even before he took it. All left foot and thought he would go right. Telegraphed it for Rulli as well with his body position.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Since utd supporters stormed Old Trafford their season has fallen apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

I don’t think Ole made a substitution in normal time

In a European cup final

As long as he’s in charge United won’t do a whole lot

Don't understand this either, Fred first sub. They were out of it in extra time and could have lost it. Delighted for VR

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »

He is unlucky as he will go down as the player who missed the deciding pen in a European final, someone has to be the unlucky one.

Although, making a player wait so long for one of the pens and then missing his own, could be seen as a bit of karma.

No lottery. I have taken plenty of penalties and missed almost all of them and Ive been in goal and saved a good few too. There is a skill to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People will focus on the penalties, but I think Solskjaer lost that game with his reluctance to use his bench. Villarreal had made five changes before he made one and it just handed the impetus back to them with the fresher legs as United looked out on their feet in extra-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

2nd best English club this season can't beat 7th best Spanish club, very poor from Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's fairly shocking from De Gea to concede 11 in a row. Rulli should have saved at least 3 of them too

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

fyfe79 wrote: »
    What a feeling for Villareal's keeper to both take the match-winning penalty and also save the match-winning penalty!

Didn't the AFCON final finish 19-18 or something a few years ago? I remember Eto'o missing his 2nd pen and it was the only one missed.

2006. It ended 12-11 on penalties, but you're right, Eto'o missed his second after Drogba had scored his second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazing for a town with a population of 23500 Villarreal have done an small town football so proud beating the biggest club in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Villareal, from the European Conference League to the Champions League , double win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

seeing their fans cry makes it heartwarming. To them this is as good as they ever thought they would see.

Well done to them. No complaints here.

De Gea's penalty had no conviction at all.

A real "couldn't be arsed" penalty effort.

At least give it a hit ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A lottery is something that is decided on luck.

A player taking a shot from 12 yards out is nothing like a lottery. They are not just passive participants in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No lottery. I have taken plenty of penalties and missed almost all of them and Ive been in goal and saved a good few too. There is a skill to it

There is, but to be fair, they would have practised and practised them down the years as professional footballers- though maybe not the keepers!

There is a skill to saving them too. 2 or 3 in particular should really have been saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Knex* wrote: »
    Villarreal pretty poor winners considering their approach to the game and how they played, but United also poor and never quite put them under the necessary pressure to capitalise on their negativity.

Villareal parked the bus for most of the match.
    It was puke football.
    They only came out in extra time when Utd tired and Solskjaer refused to bring on fresh legs.

Henderson should have been brought on for the penalties, he's surely have saved one, De Gea seems mentally scarred from penaties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Zaph wrote: »
    2006. It ended 12-11 on penalties, but you're right, Eto'o missed his second after Drogba had scored his second.

Yeah, that makes sense. Eto'o would've been the first penalty taker anyway so the score would've been more like that alright. I remember they were cracking pens, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PTH2009 wrote:
    Where for United now i dont know
    United are clearly on the up. I'm sure they'll add some big signings in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

AdamD wrote: »
    That's fairly shocking from De Gea to concede 11 in a row. Rulli should have saved at least 3 of them too

He's always been awful at saving penalties although The majority of the Villareal penalties were very good to be fair

• Advertisement

A lottery is something that is decided on luck.

A player taking a shot from 12 yards out is nothing like a lottery. They are not just passive participants in it.

Plenty of luck in a pen shoot out in my opinion.

Sometimes it goes in off the post, sometimes it doesn't.

Guessing the right way, slipping- ask John Terry- etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not sure there was any saving those VR penalties. Pure class.
    Game was lost on the sideline for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Plenty of luck in a pen shoot out in my opinion.

Sometimes it goes in off the post, sometimes it doesn't.

Guessing the right way, slipping- ask John Terry- etc

Everything that happens in a game of football is a lottery so.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eagle eye wrote: »
    United are clearly on the up. I'm sure they'll add some big signings in the summer.

Maybe... I dunno though... I'm not sure how confident I'd be on them even holding par with another 2nd place finish next season.

I suppose the problem is that you can personally improve your own team, but still fall back. I wouldn't be terribly shocked next season to see one (or both) of Chelsea and Liverpool finish higher.

(My opinion instantly changes if, for instance, the now-free Conte were to replace Ole though)

Villareal parked the bus for most of the match.
    It was puke football.
    They only came out in extra time when Utd tired and Solskjaer refused to bring on fresh legs.

Henderson should have been brought on for the penalties, he's surely have saved one, De Gea seems mentally scarred from penaties.

They scored first so would have been idiots to push hard against a supposedly superior team

• Advertisement

Yeah, once Cavani scored, I didn't see any way back for Villareal at all. All the momentum was there for Utd, especially with how poor Villareal's general play was. But Utd failed to keep things fresh (for reasons totally beyond me) and just let all that momentum slip away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Villarreal as a club are a cool story tbh, town of 50k or so, real local town.

Work with a couple of Spanish lads who were basically saying the whole of Spain wanted them to win tonight, even Valencia fans so says a lof about them.

Obviously shyte to lose a final but if going to lose, would rather a club like Villarreal. Kudos to them and Emery, did a well done job.

Work with a couple of Spanish lads who were basically saying the whole of Spain wanted them to win tonight, even Valencia fans so says a lof about them.

Obviously shyte to lose a final but if going to lose, would rather a club like Villarreal. Kudos to them and Emery, did a well done job.

Great season for the Spanish underdogs in general, with Atleti winning the league as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah its a great story, great post too to be fair.

Paul Scholes looks like he's going to start throwing digs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ, I don't think I've seen penalties go that far since that Dutch V England U-21 match about 12 years ago with Ryan Babel, and Royston Drenthe and those lads!

Shamrock Rovers 12-11 Ilves in this competition remains top:cool:

Well deserved by Villarreal. All the build up was about the talent difference, but United never looked like turning that around despite the BT crescendo. Fortunate goal falling to Cavani, two shots on target in 90 minutes and then they got worse..

And it was seemingly just let drift by the manager again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If Ole used subs in normal time think MU could have won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If Ole used subs in normal time think MU could have won

Well possibly, I don’t see Diallo, mata, James or VDB as cup final match winners.

United were sloppy and they got punished.

Would have been a very brave move to bring on Henderson at the end, considering he has saved a few pens and De Gea was on a run of something like 25 without a save.
    Keepers have come on in the past just for penalties.
    Hindsight of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Best team won. No one can have any complaints.

Would have been a very brave move to bring on Henderson at the end, considering he has saved a few pens and De Gea was on a run of something like 25 without a save.
    Hindsight of course.

That's why Paul Cook should be the next United manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well possibly, I don’t see Diallo, mata, James or VDB as cup final match winners.

United were sloppy and they got punished.

they don't have to be. It at least freshens things up or changes formation for another player to win it or be deployed differently. Bringing on a keeper after refusing other changes would be mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would disagree, a penalty shoot out involves luck but it is not a complete lottery. A team can push the needle in their favour by having a keeper than can save 1 in 5 to cover someone missing one or to save it and win the whole thing.

Of those pens tonight the likes of Ederson, Allison, Schmichel(both Snr and jnr) would have saved at least one of the weaker ones if not two of them.

DDG awful at pens, 36 taken against him now and 0 saved. Surely that kind of record showed up even worse in training and Ole should have picked Henderson even just for the pens, his record is 8 pens saved from the last 17. Subbing in Henderson over DDG could have been the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Hindsight of course.

Ole is too worried about upsetting people or falling out with them.

Mr Nice guy, finishes last yet again.
    Fergie was a bastard, but he was our bastard and a winning bastard. Ole's not cut from the same cloth no matter how hard he tries to emulate Fergie.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Villarreal really were out on their feet in the second half of normal time and IMO there was only going to be one winner. Not Villarreal. But Emery made use of his 5 subs to inject some energy again. It paid off as in ET, Villarreal were the better team and looked more likely to win it, albeit none looked like winning in ET really.

Shocking use of subs really from OGS, especially when some of the big name players like Bruno, Pogba & Rashford failed to deliver. He could have hooked one of them. Greenwood was playing decent and a threat but was the first to get hooked, and for a defensive midfielder. Mata might not have the legs but he is well able to mind the ball and could have created an opening.

OGS played all his cards too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Fitz* wrote: »
    Villarreal really were out on their feet in the second half of normal time and IMO there was only going to be one winner. Not Villarreal. But Emery made use of his 5 subs to inject some energy again. It paid off as in ET, Villarreal were the better team and looked more likely to win it, albeit none looked like winning in ET really.

Shocking use of subs really from OGS, especially when some of the big name players like Bruno, Pogba & Rashford failed to deliver. He could have hooked one of them. Greenwood was playing decent and a threat but was the first to get hooked, and for a defensive midfielder. Mata might not have the legs but he is well able to mind the ball and could have created an opening.

ole blew his wad too early like he normally does. thats inexperience. its fine though, cos he will build up that experience managing cardiff to relegation and utd to CL success.

this aint lampard. this dude has been managing for about 12 years. still learning the ropes though. the best way to increase the share price, sack him.

if i had the power i would have sacked him many times, mainly after that fiasco in turkey.

utd are lucky spurs and arsenal are in the doldrums.

all you ****ers love it, and id be the same in fairness.

but we can all agree this man is out of his depth. i feel sorry for ole and his bright smile. but just piss off and do the club a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fitz* wrote: »
    Villarreal really were out on their feet in the second half of normal time and IMO there was only going to be one winner. Not Villarreal. But Emery made use of his 5 subs to inject some energy again. It paid off as in ET, PPVillarrea6 l were the better team and looked more likely to win it, albeit none looked like winning in ET really.

Oles subs came far too late to effect the game plus the first one was pretty negative as Greenwood was playing well-

Greenwood off Fred on, 100 minutes
    Pogba off James on, 115 minutes
    Bailey off Tunazabe on 116 minutes
    Wan Bissaka & McTominaay off, Mata & Telles on, 123 minutes

Villa Real made their first sub at 60', two more at 77' and then another two at 88 minutes. It was very clever game management by Unai Emery, his team were clearly the weaker one but at 1-1 he set them up to try win within 90 minutes and to have stronger legs in extra time. Ole seemed to be almost playing for penalties with his subs in comparison and hoping DDG could bail them out in penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I couldn't listen to the Virgin commentary, it was like they were watching a different game. Utd were clearly the better side but to hear the guys talk you'd swear they were all over the Spanish which wasn't the case at all.
    Too often Ole's held them back and with a better manager I now feel they're in a better position for a while to kick on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Villareal made hard work of that, but ultimately the better footballing side won. When they went ahead seemed more concerned about holding what they had instead of just playing their own game.

Delighted for Villareal generally, always kept an eye on them since Riquelme was there. Really messed the CL semi v Arsenal up, after playing them off the field. Always try and play the right way too.

If there were pound for pound rankings in football, clubs standing versus size and finance etc, theyd regularly be one of the top teams in the world

Advertisement