Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The nr. 3 in the EPL got knocked out by the same team that eliminated Rangers.

Rangers going out in the last 16 is hardly proof that they wouldn't hold their own in the Premier League.

The past careers/club playing level of their starting 11 and subs suggest they’d get a mighty tanking .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The past careers/club playing level of their starting 11 and subs suggest they’d get a mighty tanking .

I don't know what part of 'If Rangers and Celtic had access to the money the Premier League gets' is difficult to understand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't know what part of 'If Rangers and Celtic had access to the money the Premier League gets' is difficult to understand.
    They'd be no bigger than the likes of Newcastle or Villa in the PL. The superclubs are already too far ahead and other than the odd blip of a season, have the top spots wrapped up.

They'd be no bigger than the likes of Newcastle or Villa in the PL. The superclubs are already too far ahead and other than the odd blip of a season, have the top spots wrapped up.

I'm not saying they'd compete for the title, but 'wiped week in week out by the top 4 of the Championship' is just idiotic.

I'm not saying they'd compete for the title, but 'wiped week in week out by the top 4 of the Championship' is just idiotic.

Fairly confident a mini league of the Norwich’s, brentford, Swansea, Watford, even bournemouth, would dispose of Celtic or rangers very comfortably more times than not if they played each other regularly.

Your opposition, while not rangers or celtic’s fault, is pure drivel.

Fairly confident a mini league of the Norwich’s, brentford, Swansea, Watford, even bournemouth, would dispose of Celtic or rangers very comfortably more times than not if they played each other regularly.

Your opposition, while not rangers or celtic’s fault, is pure drivel.

2 clubs who play European football every year would be beaten by the likes of Norwich and Brentford ? Talk about drivel.

I'll explain it once more: If both clubs had access to the hundreds of millions of pounds that English Premier League clubs get each year for being **** they'd be comfortably mid-table in the Premier League, at the least.

Their fanbases far outweigh the majority of English clubs bar 5 or 6, they have bigger stadiums than most EPL clubs, worldwide name recognition,...

Just because the Scottish league is crap doesn't mean that necessarily reflects on the potential of Rangers or Celtic.
    I know for some on here the EPL is the be-all, end-all of football but maybe try and look a little bit further.

Also, it's a moot point as nobody wants it.

You can explain it all you want, Norwich and co would hand your asses to you on a plate right now, I’m not talking about “oh if we had all this money”

It’s a pity that large fan base you talk about is surrounded by sectarianism and allegedly beat up a Czech player tonight in the tunnel after the game. Two Scottish “giants” never far from the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Unfortunately any success and healthy rivalry between the two is always tainted by some of the lowest forms of human being being part of their fanbase

You can explain it all you want, Norwich and co would hand your asses to you on a plate.

It’s a pity that large fan base you talk about is surrounded by sectarianism and allegedly beat up a Czech player tonight in the tunnel after the game. Two Scottish “giants” never far from the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Unfortunately any success and healthy rivalry between the two is always tainted by some of the lowest forms of human being being part of their fanbase

The bold part is completely deluded but not unexpected I guess, you really seem to believe that English football is the best thing since sliced bread. You probably believe in things like Super Sunday on Sky :pac:

As for the the other stuff: So the fanbase who was not in the stadium allegedly beat up a player ? Claims are he was being a racist POS so I'm not gonna pretend I'm sorry about that, even if he was later shown to be perfectly fine.

The bold part is completely deluded but not unexpected I guess, you really seem to believe that English football is the best thing since sliced bread. You probably believe in things like Super Sunday on Sky :pac:

As for the the other stuff: So the fanbase who was not in the stadium allegedly beat up a player ? Claims are he was being a racist POS so I'm not gonna pretend I'm sorry about that, even if he was later shown to be perfectly fine.

What’s completely deluded is believing you’re a real powerhouse again after one season as champions of a micky mouse league.

Yes the fanbase took into the player in the tunnel :pac:

My true sporting passions lie away from soccer but it’s a sport that would be completely unmentionable to any die hard rangers supporter :D we’ll agree to disagree. Enjoy el classico on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

You can explain it all you want, Norwich and co would hand your asses to you on a plate right now, I’m not talking about “oh if we had all this money”

Only one of them gets in the headlines for the wrong reasons. Rangers complaining about a racist remark is beyond parody after what Lennon endured from their fans without the club ever doing anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

crossman47 wrote: »
    Only one of them gets in the headlines for the wrong reasons. Rangers complaining about a racist remark is beyond parody after what Lennon endured from their fans without the club ever doing anything about it.

Are you actually serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Pipmae wrote: »
    A lot of interaction between both management teams after the Rangers match. It looks like an allegation of a racial comment directed at Kamara. Gerrard not letting it go. He's due to speak on the BT2 Highlights show.

A manager of Rangers giving out about racism? Wonders will never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

bocaman wrote: »

And why shouldn’t he what a pathetic comment

I guess that makes it fine then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The fact that you’re not equally appalled about this lad who has done nothing on Neil Lennon being racially abused, because he plays for Rangers, says more about you than anything.

You and the other lad can row it all back now if you want, but colours have been well and truly shown.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Are you actually serious?

I'm totally serious. Celtic fans have earned a great reputation wherever they've travelled while Rangers fans have created havoc more than once.

And why shouldn’t he what a pathetic comment

He should of course but then he should also say something about the vile sectarian abuse that flows down from the Ibrox crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Posters are welcome to discuss the specific incident of alleged racism. Broad commentary on a club, fans or players actions or alleged actions in the past that will cause aggravation are not welcome.

Police Scotland have said that no complaint was made by Slavia, so that nonsense about how their player was beaten and they called the police seems like just another lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Final Draw
    Granada (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG)
    Arsenal (ENG) V Slavia Praha (CZE)
    Ajax (NED) V Roma (ITA)
    GNK Dinamo (CRO) V Villarreal (ESP)

Semi-Final Draw
    Granada (ESP)/Manchester United (ENG) V Ajax (NED)/Roma (ITA)
    GNK Dinamo (CRO)/Villarreal (ESP) V Arsenal (ENG)/Slavia Praha (CZE)

Final
    GNK Dinamo (CRO)/Villarreal (ESP)/Arsenal (ENG)/Slavia Praha (CZE) V Granada (ESP)/Manchester United (ENG)/Ajax (NED)/Roma (ITA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good draws for United and Arsenal. The semi final could be very tricky for United though providing they get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Slavia Praha was a "good draw" for Leicester and Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Quarter-Final Draw with overall odds
    33/1 Granada (ESP) v 7/4 Manchester United (ENG)
    7/2 Arsenal (ENG) v 40/1 Slavia Praha (CZE)
    6/1 Ajax (NED) v 9/1 Roma (ITA)
    66/1 GNK Dinamo (CRO) v 7/1 Villarreal (ESP)

Semi-Final Draw
    Granada (ESP)/Manchester United (ENG) v Ajax (NED)/Roma (ITA)
    GNK Dinamo (CRO)/Villarreal (ESP) v Arsenal (ENG)/Slavia Praha (CZE)

Final
    GNK Dinamo (CRO)/Villarreal (ESP)/Arsenal (ENG)/Slavia Praha (CZE) v Granada (ESP)/Manchester United (ENG)/Ajax (NED)/Roma (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Honest question is the Europa league a Major trophy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Honest answer: No.

The biggest thing about it is Champions League qualification

It's pretty big. It's the 3rd biggest after the obvious two of champions league and domestic league.

The FA Cup and league cup roll in behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It is absolutely a major trophy. Its bigger than all of the national cups, so unless you only think the top 5 leagues and the CL are major trophies, it clearly is.

6 wrote: »
    It's pretty big. It's the 3rd biggest after the obvious two of champions league and domestic league.

The FA Cup and league cup roll in behind it.

Id have said Fa Cup is higher ranked ?

Simply because the 4 best teams in the county (form previous year) are in it ,

What was your opinion of the EL before the 2016 final? I bet it wasn't that same as it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I get that it's something of a consolation prize for clubs used to progressing in the CL, but it's still a major competition in its own right.

I don't really know how you'd compare it to a domestic cup competition either. Just in a 'which would you rather win?' way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The 3 major trophies for English teams are the League, CL and FA Cup.

Anything else is a bit pathetic to be including in a serious trophy count as they are 2nd rate competitions.

Liam O wrote: »
    The 3 major trophies for English teams are the League, CL and FA Cup.

Anything else is a bit pathetic to be including in a serious trophy count as they are 2nd rate competitions.
    So your saying that clubs should stop counting the old UEFA Cups and Cup Winners Cups they won? Would you ever go away and cop on to yourself.

So your saying that clubs should stop counting the old UEFA Cups and Cup Winners Cups they won? Would you ever go away and cop on to yourself.

Can't compare them , back in the day 2nd place was in the UEFA Cup

Europa Cup is for 5th 6th 7th spot ,, You literally have to have fail to qualify for it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Europa Cup is for 5th 6th 7th spot ,, You literally have to have fail to qualify for it,

2nd place is just highest failure.

Third place was in it too. You literally didn't have to win anything to get into it. There was always more than one team from each country in it.

Care to answer this question?
    What was your opinion of the EL before the 2016 final? I bet it wasn't that same as it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

No, the only major trophy is the Champions League. Then you are champions of Europe.

Everything else is minor.

Third place was in it too. You literally didn't have to win anything to get into it. There was always more than one team from each country in it.

Care to answer this question?

Still 2nd & 3rd is not 5th & 6th

I wonder is it better of worse that teams that fail in the champions league get in it ?

Maybe I'm just old but the whole change to Europa league was the final straw for me,

Still 2nd & 3rd is not 5th & 6th

I wonder is it better of worse that teams that fail in the champions league get in it ?

Maybe I'm just old but the whole change to Europa league was the final straw for me,
    Still didn't answer my question I see. You obviously at the time thought it was a worthwhile trophy to win when Liverpool were in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a somewhat semantic discussion really, as it kinda just comes down to your own definition of "major". I see another post in favour of Europa's importance calling it "worthwhile" for instance, which means someone equates the two... for me, a competition can be worthwhile without being a Major.

I only really think of the Champions League and Domestic League as Major's these days (this is obviously something that's changed over time). But I've thoroughly enjoyed good runs in the Europa League, FA Cup, and League Cup. All worthwhile in their own ways.

Europa is a bit exotic and you get to play teams you don't play against all that often, even if they're not the very top tier teams. The League Cup is sort of the inverse, where instead of playing interesting new teams, you see a lot of interesting new players. Matches are a lot less predictable too, as you get that mix of youth and experience, with upsets easier to come by. The FA Cup is the one I find the most boring actually, by some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's a somewhat semantic discussion really, as it kinda just comes down to your own definition of "major". I see another post in favour of Europa's importance calling it "worthwhile" for instance, which means someone equates the two... for me, a competition can be worthwhile without being a Major.

I only really think of the Champions League and Domestic League as Major's these days (this is obviously something that's changed over time). But I've thoroughly enjoyed good runs in the Europa League, FA Cup, and League Cup. All worthwhile in their own ways.

Europa is a bit exotic and you get to play teams you don't play against all that often, even if they're not the very top tier teams. The League Cup is sort of the inverse, where instead of playing interesting new teams, you see a lot of interesting new players. Matches are a lot less predictable too, as you get that mix of youth and experience, with upsets easier to come by. The FA Cup is the one I find the most boring actually, by some distance.

I wouldn't watch the early stages of the Europa unless an Irish team is playing.
    English FA Cup and English League Cup has lost all meaning years ago.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wouldn't watch the early stages of the Europa unless an Irish team is playing.
    English FA Cup and English League Cup has lost all meaning years ago.

Wouldn't watch the early stages either... once it gets to the knockouts it's good craic though. No different to the Champions League these days really - for neutral CL group games, I tend to just watch the Live Goal's Show on BT Sport if I can.

FA Cup is just not interesting at all. Has basically no redeeming features right at the moment... on the one hand, teams clearly are not that invested in it, but on the other they can't be seen to actively dismiss it too much, so you just get all the lads on the first team fringes playing. The League Cup I often really enjoy though, as you can get a mix of some of the above fringe lads, but also see all the brilliant kids. It becomes your first proper look at players like Curtis Jones, Trent, Harvey Elliott, Leighton Clarkson, Kelleher etc etc.

Quarter-Finals 1st Legs
    Thursday 8th April
    20:00 Kick-offs

Ajax (NED) V Roma (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Arsenal (ENG) V Slavia Praha (CZE) - Live on BT Sport 1
    GNK Dinamo (CRO) V Villarreal (ESP) - Live on BT Sport ESPN
    Granada (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Christ, this Arsenal game is tortuous to watch. The quality from both sides is poor. The golf would have been more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Smashing goal from Ibanez for Roma's second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ajax ballboy taking the piss there. Fired it at the young Roma defender.

https://twitter.com/calciopedia/status/1380263816328544261

Quarter-Finals 1st Leg Results
    Ajax (NED) 1 V 2 Roma (ITA)
    Arsenal (ENG) 1 V 1 Slavia Praha (CZE)
    GNK Dinamo (CRO) 0 V 1 Villarreal (ESP)
    Granada (ESP) 0 V 2 Manchester United (ENG)

Quarter-Finals 2nd Legs
    Thursday 15th April

Manchester United (ENG) V Granada (ESP) (Agg 2-0) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media 2 TBC
    Roma (ITA) V Ajax (NED) (Agg 2-1) - Live on BT Sport 3 / Virgin Media 2 TBC
    Slavia Praha (CZE) V Arsenal (ENG) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 1 / Virgin Media 2 TBC
    Villarreal (ESP) V GNK Dinamo (CRO) (Agg 1-0) - Live on BT Sport ESPN / Virgin Media 2 TBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ajax will be kicking themselves, missed a peno, then their goalkeeper makes a shocking howler and let’s in a goal a five year old shouldn’t.., instead of a 2-0 victory they lose 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Strumms wrote: »
    Ajax will be kicking themselves, missed a peno, then their goalkeeper makes a shocking howler and let’s in a goal a five year old shouldn’t.., instead of a 2-0 victory they lose 2-1.

Jaysis, they messed up Haller’s registration for the europa so he can’t play and their exit in the CL to Atalanta was a choke job as well. Ajax should have went through with Liverpool on performances.

What do you reckon is a season be seen as successful if you start in the champions league & end up winning the Europa League ?

It's a bit of a mad one, you've kind of failed to succeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement