Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's shocking from the Roma keeper. They've been poor at back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pen to Arsenal. Looks like Saka dived to me.

Pepe converts it for 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

It was a penalty based on the rules.

Their issue is that the rule for something like that is fuppin stupid.

It was clearly accidental.

No. It’s not accidental when you slide and throw your arms 90 degrees to the plane of your body. It’s a penalty and it’s not even harsh either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Chris Smalling is an appalling footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Some turnaround in the Utd match. And mad to see Arsenal back in their tie again.

The potential of 4 English clubs in the 2 euro finals is still alive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Can’t see how we got a penalty for that. We want 3 more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

That penalty for Utd is up there as one of the worst decisions I've seen in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not sure how that’s a penalty really but nothing is surprising these days. Can get pens for nothing.

Capoue is going to get sent off for Villarreal. Ref with the card in hand as the player's down injured atm. It will be 10 vs 10 though for the end of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Roma falling apart 5-2 and U United really should score more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Roma falling apart 5-2 and U United really should score more.

You could tell from the first half there was no way we should have been behind. Had heaps of chances and Roma looked all over the place at the back.

Nice to be able to take our chances in this half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

What was Niall Quinn on about for the peno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Esse85 wrote: »
    What was Niall Quinn on about for the peno?

Doing the traditional, making a call in real time and sticking with it no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

doc_17 wrote: »
    No. It’s not accidental when you slide and throw your arms 90 degrees to the plane of your body. It’s a penalty and it’s not even harsh either.

The natural position of the arms when sliding like that is in the air. Any suggestion otherwise is silly tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

6-2 United

Arrivederci Roma

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Roma are an utter shambles.

Some demolition in fairness.
    Roma have just collapsed.

2-1 in Spain. I think Villarreal were very hard done by that penalty. Can't understand how VAR let that stand. It will be an interesting second leg. Other tie is well and truly over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Finals 1st Leg Results
    Manchester United (ENG) 6 V 2 Roma (ITA)
    Villarreal (ESP) 2 V 1 Arsenal (ENG)

Semi-Finals 2nd Legs
    Thursday 6th May

Arsenal (ENG) V Villarreal (ESP) (Agg 1-2) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Roma (ITA) V Manchester United (ENG) (Agg 2-6) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Nice for Ole to get rid of his semi

Hoodoo,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Once Man United sorted out their own casual sloppiness and upped the pace, Roma had no answer at all.

The subs situation didn't help, nor the very soft Cavani penalty, but they were battered anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That Arsenal penalty was very dodgy, one of those ones where the attacking player (Saka) kicks the defender to get the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The natural position of the arms when sliding like that is in the air. Any suggestion otherwise is silly tbh.

You clearly don’t play football well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

so silly from ceballos to get the red

though arteta should have hooked him after the challenge after the yellow. like fred vs psg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Corholio wrote: »
    That Arsenal penalty was very dodgy, one of those ones where the attacking player (Saka) kicks the defender to get the penalty.

yeah he left the leg dangling there and instigated the contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Fitz* wrote: »
    United will have to score a couple in the 2nd half. All the onus is on them now, especially with the unique scenario of this game.

Roma have already lost 3 players to injury and won't be able to make subs as the players tire later in the half even while having 2 remaining subs.

Will 5 do...... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

osarusan wrote: »
    Once Man United sorted out their own casual sloppiness and upped the pace, Roma had no answer at all.

The subs situation didn't help, nor the very soft Cavani penalty, but they were battered anyway.

That Cavani fella is top notch even in his twilight years. Reminds me a lot of Tevez. I remember how sniffy the English used to be when he was banging in the goals in the French league. It is 'only' the French league etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That Cavani fella is top notch even in his twilight years. Reminds me a lot of Tevez. I remember how sniffy the English used to be when he was banging in the goals in the French league. It is 'only' the French league etc.

He has 8 league goals. Not exactly "banging" form.

Man United fans aside, I think everybody would prefer the Arsenal Villareal game on free to air tv, rather than this dead rubber.

• Advertisement

On Cavani... his Prem record is better than a goal or assist every game and a half. Not bad for an auld fella brought in for depth in fairness.

In the Europa has a goal or assist every 29 minutes - with 3 of each in just 3 appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

osarusan wrote: »
    Man United fans aside, I think everybody would prefer the Arsenal Villareal game on free to air tv, rather than this dead rubber.

Unbelievable decision to show Man United game ahead of the other competitive tie. Shocking decision. I’m coming to the end of contract with Virgin Media, was thinking about switching, will definitely switch now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Entertaining stuff in Rome, considering the tie is over a week ago 8-4 at the moment

Used to happen all the time years ago, United would be qualified already and ITV would be showing it, RTE would have a chance to show a match with something at stake but would just stick with United.

Used to happen all the time years ago, United would be qualified already and ITV would be showing it, RTE would have a chance to show a match with something at stake but would just stick with United.

What's a bit more strange this time is that the other match also features an English team. Would've thought that would've been enough to show Arsenal instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well so far it looks like they've shown the more entertaining game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Unbelievable decision to show Man United game ahead of the other competitive tie. Shocking decision. I’m coming to the end of contract with Virgin Media, was thinking about switching, will definitely switch now.

If you’re a Virgin Media customer you should have both. Arsenal on VM Sports Extra 2 - Channel 421. Virgin are great for European competitors and internationals - huge choice of games.

EDIT: 422 for non fake crowd noise option too.

There was a spell at 2-1 down when Utd gave up 3 good chances in about 3 minutes.

Now, if one goes in the others probably don't come along, but it could have been a hairy last 25 minutes.

If I remember correctly, Man Utd were also very casual in a previous round once it was done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The 3 first half subs Roma had to make in the the first leg really cost them this semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arsenal wish they had Wenger back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Awful performance from Arsenal considering what was at stake

• Advertisement

Semi-Finals 2nd Leg Results
    Arsenal (ENG) 0 V 0 Villarreal (ESP) (Agg 1-2)
    Roma (ITA) 3 V 2 Manchester United (ENG) (Agg 5-8)

Final
    Wednesday May 26th

Villarreal (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What's a bit more strange this time is that the other match also features an English team. Would've thought that would've been enough to show Arsenal instead.

I specifically remember either RTE or TV3 did it when United were in a dead rubber while Arsenal weren't. Could be 20 years ago at this point though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There was only one thing to do after that. Back artera to leave his position next at 6s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is it me or is Brian Kerr not looking the best? The fella looks a bit shook.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Pleased for Emery and Villarreal. I was surprised Arsenal went out with such a whimper. Rulli looked nervous but they didn't test him as the game drew to a close. Said last year I thought Arteta looked out of his depth. I think Arsenal fans have been kinder to him than a lot of other clubs would have been and he surely has to go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Sort of poetic Villareal beat Arsenal in a European semi, revenge for 06. Villareal played them off the park in 06, Riquelme was immense only for the penalty miss. Doesn't really get the recognition for how good he was, one of the best playmakers ever

Final
    Wednesday May 26th

Villarreal (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG) - Live on Virgin Media Two / BT Sport 1 / BT Sport YouTube Channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think the game is going to penalties tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I’ll go 3-1 United. Cavani, Greenwood, Bruno and Rashford is just great firepower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Utd will smash 3 or 4 past them in a completely one-sided affair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement