Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can't see anything other than a convincing United victory, reckon 3-1 or 4-1 is a likely score.
    From what I've seen from Villareal, they may be good enough to get to the final but realistically, they are average enough.
    Maguire will be a loss but it shouldn't really make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I'd love to have yer confidence lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Villarreal to win 1-0 or 2-1 for me. This United team are still a bit short of what’s needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Have had a nibble on Villarreal at 7/2. Far too much value for what is still a very questionable United team. 2-1 Villarreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Utd should beat this team handy enough if they get the first goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Iago wrote: »
    Villarreal to win 1-0 or 2-1 for me. This United team are still a bit short of what’s needed.

Of what's needed to be beat a fairly average Villarreal side? Of course they are not.

7th in La Liga v 2nd in Premier League. I really don't see anything other than a reasonably comfortable United win.

If there's dodgy penalty calls or a red card, obviously that could swing it their way, but all other things being equal, United should lift the trophy in 90 minutes I think.

I fully understand United fans not being as confident, not talking up their chances etc, which is natural, but from the outside looking in, my money - literally- is on United to win.

An early goal for either team could make it a more open and entertaining game.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Of what's needed to be beat a fairly average Villarreal side? Of course they are not.

7th in La Liga v 2nd in Premier League. I really don't see anything other than a reasonably comfortable United win.

If there's dodgy penalty calls or a red card, obviously that could swing it their way, but all other things being equal, United should lift the trophy in 90 minutes I think.

I fully understand United fans not being as confident, not talking up their chances etc, which is natural, but from the outside looking in, my money - literally- is on United to win.

An early goal for either team could make it a more open and entertaining game.

Nearly all penalty calls are dodgy these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

They thumped Sevilla 4-0 before being beaten by 2 late late goals against Real madrid last week.

All season they’ve only been losing by the odd goal or drawing games they should win. That’s what cost them in the league.

They’re a hard team to break down who will have no interest in attacking United and as we all know United struggle badly against those kinds of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Bacca starting. Wouldn’t have expected that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good atmosphere in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolutely hate listening to Gerry Armstrong on commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Villareal time-wasting after 20 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gerard Moreno scores.

Moreno strikes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Moreno!!!!!!, blatant peno if he didn't score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lindelof should have tried defending against him instead of pulling out of him.

Harry Maguire attacks those types of balls. Same as Nat Phillips does for Liverpool. When you don’t have a player like that the rest are exposed.

Villarreal don’t look too hot at all, would expect something from Fernandes when he figures them out.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Absolutely hate listening to Gerry Armstrong on commentary.

So dont listen to him instead of complaining.

BT sport are showing the game for free on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dobman88 wrote: »
    So dont listen to him instead of complaining.

BT sport are showing the game for free on YouTube

Not available in Ireland :(

You got my hopes up there for a minute!

The link is here anyway, for anyone it's useful for; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6ydLt_MkE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Very disciplined stuff from Villareal. Dour defensive stuff, but if that's the approach that gives you the best chance of winning then so what. They've neutralised Man United down the middle and forced them wide virtually every time, then defended the crosses very well for the most part.

just in the last couple of minutes of the half did Man United really turn those wide positions into something promising.

Still, 90 minutes is a long time to play that defensive game and back yourself not to crack even once. Villareal could do with more of a release of pressure when they get the ball, give the defence a breath and a chance to reorganise, but they're so defensive they're giving it away very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If only there was a world class player playing centre mid for United who could break the defensive lines and make something happen. He'd probably cost 100m or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lindelof is such a liability. Don't think he'd get into any other top four side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cavani the most likely for Utd. So sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cavani the most likely for Utd. So sharp.

Proper footballer, loved seeing him get back with the runner earlier in t he half too. Put some younger fitter lads to shame as he sprinted past the midfield and others! Him or Rashford with a bit of brilliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The time that nippy right winger for Villarreal just charged up the wing alone was gas. You could just seen his teammates not bothering to attack with him as they couldn't keep up! All for nothing in the end even though he should have got a corner out if it too as it went out off of Shaw's leg and then hand.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not available in Ireland :(

You got my hopes up there for a minute!

The link is here anyway, for anyone it's useful for; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6ydLt_MkE

Fair enough, I retract my previous comment.

Is Armstrong on all the VM channels showing the game or just the main one? They usually have a few different camera set ups for big games, could be a channel with no commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Might start supporting Hope United if they can add a few more signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Emery going for a park the bus merit badge here tonight.

Glazers Out!

The majority of United away games thet went behind and came back and won. Villarreal did the same v Real Madrid in their last game, but wilted under the pressure in the latter stages. Bruno needs to click in this half. Rashford and Greenwood were very quiet for 40 minutes.
    I expect a comeback. But if Villarreal score next there really will be a yellow wall put up.

nullzero wrote: »
    Emery going for a park the bus merit badge here tonight.

Very hard to do for 90 mins.

• Advertisement

If Villarreal can keep it like this until 70 minutes or so, I can see United getting desperate and conceding again on the break.

United are a mess at the back.

Really is such a shame Chukwueze was ruled out for this one, would've been huge in this situation to release the pressure. Terrific player, and a big loss.

(Though I guess maybe it's fair enough that both teams are missing a big player).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Very hard to do for 90 mins.

All they need is a free kick near the United area and they're guaranteed 2-0.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Viillareal not bothering to mark AWB when they have the ball, seem to have decided he's no danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looked a penalty in all fairness, he ticked the ball, and then defender took him out

Cavani, the comeback has begun.

That was a very long check, but correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Certainly no United fan, but am happy for Cavani. He's put in a serious performance tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

VAR takes way tooooo looooong

Christ, some dive out of Bruno to win the free there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If he isn't whining to the ref he's diving.

Only one side going to win this now. Villarreal offering so little as an attacking force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I know it was offside but that was shocking :D

Rashford really should be sticking that away, no flag before he hit it, been poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Rashford really should be sticking that away, no flag before he hit it, been poor.

Hes been cat for most of the season, crops up with a goal every couple of games to justify his place but overall his play has been absolute muck.

Cavani's reaction speed to actually get a bit of control on that header from Shaw's shot was unreal.

What a pointless corner routine from Villareal there... they know Utd's biggest weakness is set pieces, and yet they decide on a play where they end up with the ball back in the centre of midfield, before a long pointless ball out of play. Insane not to just whip it in, or at most play the short pass and then whip it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cavani's reaction speed to actually get a bit of control on that header from Shaw's shot was unreal.

He's been 5x a better signing than I thought he would be. All the noises coming out of France was that he was finished. He's anything but that.

His goal a perfect example of 'anticipate the shot being saved instead of attacking the rebound'. He was so aware and switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Rashford is so over rated by the English media, I wouldn't have him in the England squad. Seems to be all speed and not much of a brain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement