Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

eigrod wrote: »
    Going to be a few really pissed off big names at City that didn’t start there and then they went on and lost. Could be a big job for Pep keeping them in check.

Does Ake ever get off the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The mad thing is Chelsea arent a great team at all,

Yeah just organised/well managed making the best of what they have got, playing to their strengths - defence.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rio “captain hindsight” Ferdinand saying perhaps they expect too much of young players coming to the league (havertz). He’ll be back in a few months deriding some lad new to the league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Didn’t care who won or lost but Chelsea deserved it overall. Pep made a hames of it yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wonder will Pep go and spend another £300m to try win the trophy next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Good to see Werner won't miss the presentation.

He will manage to be offside for the presentation

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Aguero staying now until CL win :p

Frank Lampard deserves some credit

Credit? For packing up his office and leaving the premises sharpish, maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good to see Kante and the fantastic Azpilicueta on the winning side.

Azpilicueta must be one of the best signings of any club in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thought the referee had a great game. Curious why we didn’t get the Var for 3 mins each time nonsense. He called the possible handball correctly and move on. Game didn’t stop at all. PL would be drawing circles so the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wonder will Pep go and spend another £300m to try win the trophy next year.

Kane definitely heading to City now you'd have to think possibly with Haaland.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ther will be some celebrations in West London with Brentford winning too !!!

The UEFA lad giving out the “mates” handshake. Game’s gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

You could say Chelsea got a lovely run to the final and then faced a team handicapped by their manager’s awful selection. Sure fcuk it they won’t care.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Rio “captain hindsight” Ferdinand saying perhaps they expect too much of young players coming to the league (havertz). He’ll be back in a few months deriding some lad new to the league again.

A fella that isn't English maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Can we have a minutes silence for Leicester City and BR, they must be as sick as a covid ward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This new thing of kissing the trophy as you walk past it, before the actual presentation...I could do without that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This will really sting Leonardo and everyone at PSG, especially when the Super Cup final takes place involving 2 of their former coaches. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

osarusan wrote: »
    This new thing of kissing the trophy as you walk past it, before the actual presentation...I could do without that.

Kante knows better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oliver Giroud World Cup and Champions League winners

You could say Chelsea got a lovely run to the final and then faced a team handicapped by their manager’s awful selection. Sure fcuk it they won’t care.

People will have forgotten all that in a couple of years.

It will just read Chelsea 1-0 Man City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pleased for Havertz too. Written off as a flop at the start of the season, he's now written himself into Champions League history with a winning goal in a final.

This feels like it might be the launchpad for a great Chelsea career too.

The way they've been playing over the past few months, if they add a pure goalscorer like Haaland, they'll have everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The sense of entitlement both Manchester teams brought to their European Finals was pure '' Club Narcissism '' the attitude and the inflated sense of their own self importance was there for all to see, and it showed a real lack of respect to their opposition, and that's no way to approach a European final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Damien360 wrote: »
    Thought the referee had a great game. Curious why we didn’t get the Var for 3 mins each time nonsense. He called the possible handball correctly and move on. Game didn’t stop at all. PL would be drawing circles so the screen.

Was excellent.

City will spend big again no doubt, Kane maybe, but the question is how many more chances will Pep get? Would they ever go for the likes of Zizou to get them over the line?

Pep's belief he is smarter than everyone I else and ability to over think and tinker with a winning side to illustrate that fact has done for them again.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Oliver Giroud World Cup and Champions League winners

Fair play to that fella never whines, comes on and does his job well when given the chance. Without his donkey work up front France would not have won the WC either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Great to have fans in the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Anybody work out how many Kante's there were on the pitch tonight? I think there were 4?

Immense player, MOTM no question IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So disingenuous. This wasn't impossible under Frank Lampard. No mention of the good work he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

The sense of entitlement both Manchester teams brought to their European Finals was pure '' Club Narcissism '' the attitude and the inflated sense of their own self importance was there for all to see, and it showed a real lack of respect to their opposition, and that's no way to approach a European final.

I didn’t pay much attention to build ups this week but I think that’s harsh on City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can we have a minutes silence for Leicester City and BR, they must be as sick as a covid ward

They ****ed it when Newcastle beat them. The FA cup probably seems fairly insignificant now

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Frank Lampard deserves some credit

For Mount maybe..
    But he got lots of other things assways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Not gonna lie, I'm more convinced now that Man City will win the champions league in the next 3 years after that match.

I feel like that was there dress rehearsal.

Definitely the occasion got to them, Pep over thought it again and Chelsea had the experience in the right areas to see them through

Fair play to that fella never whines, comes on and does his job well when given the chance. Without his donkey work up front France would not have won the WC either.

I like him seems to take the criticism with a smile. Would have never thought he would have done anything like this back in his Arsenal days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Didnt realise Willy Caballero was still at chelsea.
    No messing around with no celebrations against your former club, hes giving it loads

I'm delighted for Man City.

Thoroughly deserved.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Anybody work out how many Kante's there were on the pitch tonight? I think there were 4?

Immense player, MOTM no question IMHO.

Always makes me laugh that he is such a great player and only 5'6 in that role. You would think bigger fellas would bully him. Not a bit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That is a collosal failure for Pep. It's not a great achievement winning the league considering his resources and squad. He had to win that tonight, true great teams add European success to domestic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

To be fair to Frank, he did do a lot of the ground work in the CL and does deserve some credit

siblers wrote: »
    They ****ed it when Newcastle beat them. The FA cup probably seems fairly insignificant now

Ide rather the FA cup. Another year in a cup they won't win won't last where as that trophy is in the cabinet forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Kante has had a great game tonight(MOTM), but he's been slated on so many occasions this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

sligeach wrote: »
    So disingenuous. This wasn't impossible under Frank Lampard. No mention of the good work he did.

It actually was, not a chance Chelsea win that with Lampard managing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not sure what Utd as a club were saying but the English pundits had that game chalked up to Utd and dismissed the opposition. City put a full attack team out to try take on Chelsea defence and got it all wrong. I didn’t sense any dismissal of opposition at all during the build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Rudiger taking out KDB was serious Ramos/Salah vibes.

Got away with one.

Pep took KDB out of the game from kickoff by picking him in the 9.

A player who can dictate a game and you stick him up top where he will see 20% of the ball he normally does just isn't going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

Always makes me laugh that he is such a great player and only 5'6 in that role. You would think bigger fellas would bully him. Not a bit of it.

Has never made no sense to me, he shouldn't be able to do what he can do! What an absolutely sensational and intelligent player. One of the Premier League greats.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I like him seems to take the criticism with a smile. Would have never thought he would have done anything like this back in his Arsenal days

Yeah, what it is the words to describe Giroud - an appreciative, pro. When you think of the annoying bratty type players there is. Great to see a decent salt get his rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Goes to show you physical attributes (or lack of) aren't as big an issue as has been made out in the past.
    Kante must be the best DM in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Complete nonsense.

Two clubs that put out attacking sides were beaten by more pragmatic approaches to the game. One side is arguably the best side in club football right now and the other has been mismanaged for the best part of a decade and has a manager who has no idea what he's doing at the helm.

Had Liverpool gone to tonights final and played an attacking lineup would you be talking about "club narcissism"?

The very concept is based in tribalistic self importance "our club would never do that type of thing". Get a grip.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

plibige wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, I'm more convinced now that Man City will win the champions league in the next 3 years after that match.

I feel like that was there dress rehearsal.

Definitely the occasion got to them, Pep over thought it again and Chelsea had the experience in the right areas to see them through

Change of coach maybe not a guy who has consistently failed for 10 years in Europe despite having far and away the best squad in his domestic league.

Yeah, what it is the words to describe Giroud - an appreciative, pro. When you think of the annoying bratty type players there is. Great to see a decent salt get his rewards.

I always have a soft spot for those types especially when they are written off.

Pippo Inzaghi is my favorite player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hard to want either Chelsea or City to win the CL as a rival fan but it’s great to see Kante win it.

An incredibly tireless, selfless, likeable footballer. The story of his career is a lovely one. Good on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Pep outsmarted himself tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement