Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    A lot being said about Pep's decisions in midfield which were wrong.

But i think Cancelo not starting ahead of Zinchenko was an awful decision

Also Dias when exposed lacks the pace to ever be compared to Van Dijk

He left the back 4 sitting ducks. Zero protection with gundogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    He left the back 4 sitting ducks. Zero protection with gundogan
    City have played defensively all year.

Tonight showed City's CB's cant play 1v1.
    Its not like Chelsea pushed many players forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Chelsea were excellent, to a man.

But i thought Rudigers hit on DeBruyne was an ugly cheap shot and while the rules prob say yellow i think the impact on the head of an unsuspecting opponent merited a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

But i thought Rudigers hit on DeBruyne was an ugly cheap shot and while the rules prob say yellow i think the impact on the head of an unsuspecting opponent merited a red.

Better off just refereeing according to the rulebook and not emotional responses. Otherwise you end up not knowing what the rules are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

So what we really seen tonight is that WBA and big Sam are the true winners as they beat this Chelsea team 5-2.

If only Sam was given time Frank....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This Peps European performance at city. It's hardly the cream of European football he last lost to.

2016/17 - Man City manager, knocked out in the round of 16 by Monaco on away goals 6-6 on Agg. (Monaco french league winners managed by Leonardo Jardim)

2017/18 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Liverpool 5-1 on Agg (Liverpool finished 4th in the PL managed by Klopp)

2018/19 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Spurs on away goals 4-4 on Agg ( spurs finished 4th in PL managed by Pochettino.)

2019/20 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Lyon 3-1 ( Lyon finished 7th in the French league managed by Rudi Jose Garcia)

2020/21 - Man City manager, 1-0 final loss to Chelsea (Chelsea finished 4th in the PL and managed by Tuchel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

And Barca won it in 2009 thanks to Tom Øvrebø

Had VAR existed in 2009 it was a repeat final of 2008

Biggest myth ever. All but 1 of Chelsea's peno calls came after a red card that was given over a non contact dive. Barca also had a blantant peno disallowed to counter the one Chelsea should have legitimately had. Worked itself out, better than won that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

This is Peps European performance at City.

2016/17 - Man City manager, knocked out in the round of 16 (Monaco CL Semi finalist managed by Leonardo Jardim)

2017/18 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Liverpool 5-1 on Agg (Liverpool CL Finalists)

2018/19 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Spurs on away goals 4-4 on Agg (Spurs finished CL Finalists managed by Pochettino.)

2019/20 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Lyon 3-1 ( Lyon CL Semi Finalists under Rudi Jose Garcia)

2020/21 - Man City manager, 1-0 final loss to Chelsea (Chelsea CL Winners under Tuchel.

FTFY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Conte to City?

Conte wins that game tonight if he is City manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Conte to City?

Pep will win it with City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Conte to City?

As a neutral I’d like to see Conte at United

That would be 4 world class managers in the top 4 in England battling it out

United are in danger of not making the top 4 next year if Liverpool get back to strength

As for your original point, yes, Conte at city wins that match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Conte to City?

He literally just didn't though...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He literally just didn't though...

But he will. Tuchel didn't win it last year did he? Sometimes a team has to lose one to win one.

I hope Tuchel does well at Chelsea. Abramovich has a record of getting rid of managers once things go against them

Conte to City?

Conte to manu. He is rubbish in Europe though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But he will. Tuchel didn't win it last year did he? Sometimes a team has to lose one to win one.

I hope Tuchel does well at Chelsea. Abramovich has a record of getting rid of managers once things go against them

Ah yeah, I was only being smart, with the comment being made about the specific circumstances of the match tonight :o
    Pep will doubtless get back sooner rather than later with the resources he's got. If he just lets his team play their natural game one of these years he'll knock one out!

Chelsea's always an uphill battle alright... hard to bet on anyone lasting 3 years there no matter who they are - they'll be a major challenge next season though, will have so much momentum and positivity going into it, and likely a few more signings added to an already pretty stacked squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This Peps European performance at city. It's hardly the cream of European football he last lost to.

2016/17 - Man City manager, knocked out in the round of 16 by Monaco on away goals 6-6 on Agg. (Monaco french league winners managed by Leonardo Jardim)

2017/18 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Liverpool 5-1 on Agg (Liverpool finished 4th in the PL managed by Klopp)

2018/19 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Spurs on away goals 4-4 on Agg ( spurs finished 4th in PL managed by Pochettino.)

2019/20 - Man City manager, knocked out in the Quarter finals by Lyon 3-1 ( Lyon finished 7th in the French league managed by Rudi Jose Garcia)

2020/21 - Man City manager, 1-0 final loss to Chelsea (Chelsea finished 4th in the PL and managed by Tuchel.

He’s a bottler.

Can only win when the deck is overwhelmingly stacked in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Pep who? :)

Ah sure another billion or so to spend to help along that way and he might get another shot in a few years.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I was only being smart, with the comment being made about the specific circumstances of the match tonight :o
    Pep will doubtless get back sooner rather than later with the resources he's got. If he just lets his team play their natural game one of these years he'll knock one out!

Chelsea's always an uphill battle alright... hard to bet on anyone lasting 3 years there no matter who they are - they'll be a major challenge next season though, will have so much momentum and positivity going into it, and likely a few more signings added to an already pretty stacked squad.

I think Chelsea can be a poison chalice for managers but I really hope that Tuchel breaks that mold. They have some great home grown players and Mason Mount really impressed me with his post match interview. As a City fan I hope we bring through some of the academy players like Delap.

• Advertisement

Okon wrote: »
    Pep who? :)

Err, the manager who's won 3 PL titles in 4 years :rolleyes:

Ah sure another billion or so to spend to help along that way and he might get another shot in a few years.

Funny how Utd can spend the same amount since 2013 and have won zilch.

Pep will be back next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hard to want either Chelsea or City to win the CL as a rival fan but it’s great to see Kante win it.

An incredibly tireless, selfless, likeable footballer. The story of his career is a lovely one. Good on him.

Just watched MOTD Top 10 and Lineker said he asked I think Wes Morgan how did the Leicester back 4 win the league.
    His answer was Kante was in front of them.

Kante is class and not a poser like his compatriot with the bigger reputation that is with other manchester club.
    Yeah, what it is the words to describe Giroud - an appreciative, pro. When you think of the annoying bratty type players there is. Great to see a decent salt get his rewards.

David Meyler would disagree and say he is a grade A areh**e.
    I've said before I still think peps best achievement is turning Heynckes treble winning Bayern, one of my favourite sides in the last decade into a worse side.

And he had one of the best strikers in the world added to the team.

They had been in 3 out of the 4 previous finals only they always get beaten in semi while Pep was there.

Pep won with a Barca side with the best player in the world at his peak and with the best Spanish midfielders possibly of all time.
    All of whom had been playing together for nearly a decade.

I am not allowed discuss …

Funny how Utd can spend the same amount since 2013 and have won zilch.

Pep will be back next season.

Of course he will since City qualified for the Champions League, However he will more than likely get knocked out at his usual stage of the quarter finals even if he spends 4 or 5 hundred million in the summer on new players.

Of course he will since City qualified for the Champions League, However he will more than likely get knocked out at his usual stage of the quarter finals.

Like he did this year? Dream on

Like he did this year? Dream on

He lost it and it was Pep who lost it not the players this year just so he could win it next year I get you.

He lost it and it was Pep who lost it not the players this year just so he could win it next year I get you.

The better team won. Yup, Peps team selection sucked but you can't take away from how well Chelsea played. As a City fan I'd prefer to give Kudos to the winning team than to look for excuses after the fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The better team won. Yup, Peps team selection sucked but you can't take away from how well Chelsea played. As a City fan I'd prefer to give Kudos to the winning team than to look for excuses after the fact

They played well defensively. Don’t think Chelsea played well attackingly.

Just like he cost them and Munich over the last 8 seasons as manager, He took over one of the greatest teams ever in that Munich team who had won a quadruple and couldn't win it and he took over a City team where he was given a bottomless war chest and still can't win it.

• Advertisement

If Werner wasn't a disaster in front of goal they would have gone in a couple of goals up at half time.

Werner missed several chances. You have to play well defensively to beat City. Tuchel did his homework and nullified City. No complaints from my end, we were beaten by the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Better defensively and considerably better xG too.

You must have had a different game on because if Chelsea had a clinical CF it's a 3-0 game, easy.

Just like he cost them and Munich over the last 8 seasons as manager, He took over one of the greatest teams ever in that Munich team who had won a quadruple and couldn't win it and he took over a City team where he was given a bottomless war chest and still can't win it.

Who do you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Pep is one of greatest managers of all time.

He also knows that and over complicates it.

Play what got you to the dance.

Who do you support?

Why does that matter?

We are not talking about who I support we are discussing Pep as a failure in the champion’s league when he has had the best players and billions to spend.

• Advertisement

Why does that matter?

We are not talking about who I support we are discussing Pep as a failure in the champion’s league when he has had the best players and billions to spend.

Well it might give me an insight into your attitude towards a manager who has won 3 of the past 4 pL titles. It's a straightforward question ;)

Well it might give me an insight into your attitude towards a manager who has won 3 of the past 4 pL titles. It's a straightforward question ;)

This not about the league which is like shooting fish in a barrel for City and it’s billions, Mancini and Pellegrini both won the league at City any decent manager worth their salt should be winning the league season in season out for City.

Pep wasn’t brought in and paid close to a 100m in the last 5 seasons to win leagues he was brought in to win the Champions League and it is Pep who has cost them winning it season after season trying to be to clever.

Which is why I said if Conte a true pragmatist was manger of that City team tonight they would have won.

Fromvert wrote: »

But if he was one of the greatest managers of all time he wouldn't be dumb enough to over complicate it in a CL final. :rolleyes:

FFS the last time Gundogan was used as holding midfielder was when the Spanish hammered Germany.

Hello there might be a bit of a lesson there !!!

In fact that Spanish team had a guy playing that should have been the holding midfielder tonight.

His whole aura was built around Barca, Barca with the greatest player of the generation and probably the best ever Spanish midfield.

Then he goes off the Bayern and inherits a CL winning quadruple winning team.
    Yes he won the league every year, but he had got the best striker belonging to the main opposition.
    He couldn't win with them in Europe.

Then he turns up in the richest club in England which was already competing at the top and he has spent a fortune.

This not about the league which is like shooting fish in a barrel for City and it’s billions Mancini and Pellegrini both won the league at City and decent manager worth their salt should be winning the league season in season out for City.

Pep wasn’t brought in and paid close to a 100m in the last 5 seasons to the leagues he was brought in to win the Champions League and it is Pep who has cost them winning it season after season trying to be to clever.

Which is why I said if Conte a true pragmatist was manger of that City team tonight they would have won.

But Conte isn't the manager and Pep isn't going anywhere for a long time. If Conte was the manager you'd only slag him for having endless money at his disposal. Why are you afraid to tell me who you support?

But Conte isn't the manager and Pep isn't going anywhere for a long time. If Conte was the manager you'd only slag him for having endless money at his disposal. Why are you afraid to tell me who you support?

Well then I guess we are done discussing it so if you are only interested in who I support and not discussing Pep's failure to do the job he was hired for.

Go have a good sleep the new season is only 10 weeks away.

• Advertisement

Well then I guess we are done discussing it so if you are only interested in who I support and not discussing Pep's failure to do the job he was hired for.

Christ on a bike! I bet you're a Utd supporter :D

Oh, and I'm a City supporter since 1972 so have been through the gauntlet of 'typical city'. I have stated that I'm disappointed and surprised by Peps selection for the final but am happy to acknowledge that City were beaten by the better team. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that malarkey. Onwards and upwards.
    At least I'm not embarrassed to say who I support :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Fromvert wrote: »

He's a poor man's Bielsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Oh, and I'm a City supporter since 1972 so have been through the gauntlet of 'typical city'. I have stated that I'm disappointed and surprised by Peps selection for the final but am happy to acknowledge that City were beaten by the better team. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that malarkey. Onwards and upwards.

Pretty sure Coulson is a Liverpool supporter. Bar this season they've done pretty fantastic recently. Dont understand on who he supports has anything to do with the conversation.

I'll beat you to it and say I'm a utd supporter.

That’s a disaster of a result for the premier league.

They’ll probably give him Jack Grealish, Harry Kane and an additional £300 million to spend on other players, to help him win the Champions League, which should turn the premier league in to another procession unfortunately.

Pep really does need to be getting players that are the finished article because he doesn’t seem to be able to improve players. I’d argue players have regressed under him.

Do football fans still genuinely think Pep is any good ? Complete fraud. Isn’t even in the top 5 best managers in the current premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Why not start Aguero though?

Last game for the club is a CL final he would of been biting at the teeth to play the game. Imagine the high he would of had knowing he was in the starting 11 and leaving the club scoring in the CL final. Best goal scoring outlet left on the bench is odd.

Fair play Chelsea though and its not to be taken away, game plan was on point. If Werner had Aguero's shooting boots on it would of been more than 1-0.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Pretty sure Coulson is a Liverpool supporter. Bar this season they've done pretty fantastic recently. Dont understand on who he supports has anything to do with the conversation.

I'll beat you to it and say I'm a utd supporter.

...spent a billion and won zilch :D

Only kidding, but why not just answer a simple question? It's no secret that both Utd and Liverpool despise City and their success. I love Pep as a manager, I know he's not perfect but as a long time City fan I never thought I'd see them playing the style of football and winning things like we are now. I also don't begrudge other teams any success they have. I'll judge Peps legacy at City after he's gone.

Given the accusations about the actions of Man City's owners in places like Yemen, of all fans that should hang their heads in mortification...

Still, they'll fling hundreds of millions at it to buy a few trophies next year.

I like Leeds. If Man City's owners have me rooting for ManU in your derbies or Chelsea in cup games, it has nothing to do with jealousy over success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't understand the hate for Pep. He's a fantastic manager and comes across as someone with a deep passion, almost fanatical love for the game. He also seems genuine and forthright when he loses. He didn't win a one off final and it's easy to question his tactics,which granted seemed wrong but the players simply didn't perform and Chelsea (who by the way are one of the most powerful teams in world football) played well. It was a great game for genuine neutrals, I imagine.

Anyone who thinks he hasn't improved City are simply wrong, it's not even an opinion, you're just wrong. Arguably the greatest manager of all time only one 2 of these despite being in charge of the strongest side in UK football for the guts of 30 years. A mixture of bad luck, bad rules and just it's hard to win. Ancelotti 0-3 up against a poor Liverpool side in 2005 with a decent Milan team didn't win it, didn't make him a bad manager.
    ok that last point was just to bring up 2005 again.

City are going to be a juggernaut for years. Personally I'll be quite happy when he leaves them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No punishment should never be decided by the unfortunate outcome in sport

• Advertisement
Advertisement