Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of the lecture

Options
  • 09-08-2020 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

This has been one of my favourite youtube channels for a long time. Brady Haran's Sixty Symbols which has great videos about concepts in physics.

When this slightly political subject came up I actually found myself initially on the side of the affirmative, happy that lectures would be available in video form; what's the point in having physical classes.

The more though I have researched it, I notice that this push to cancel lectures is coming from the woke type of people.

Upon further reflection I imagine they may want this not for the sake of it's practicality but because they will have total control over what exactly is taught and how it is taught. Every lecturer would be screened and every lecture scrutinized by the the most woke people.

He presents this video as a debate between two professors in the University of Nottingham in a fair manner asking each the most difficult questions imo.

What do you think?

Comments

2u2me wrote: »

Upon further reflection I imagine they may want this not for the sake of it's practicality but because they will have total control over what exactly is taught and how it is taught. Every lecturer would be screened and every lecture scrutinized by the the most woke people.

> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Suppose there could be something in this, but who the fuk are the 'woke people' in this context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

kenmm wrote: »
    Suppose there could be something in this, but who the fuk are the 'woke people' in this context?

People that reject the classical liberal view of free speech, those people that are against the expression "I disagree with what you have to say but will fight to the death..etc..."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sure nothing lasts forever even lecturers are human and only have a limited lifespan like all of us so of course lectures are going to become a thing of the past too as less people can do them. As I said nothing lasts forever and everything has an ending.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Sure nothing lasts forever even lecturers are human and only have a limited lifespan like all of us so of course lectures are going to become a thing of the past too as less people can do them. As I said nothing lasts forever and everything has an ending.

Certainly this is being exasperated by Covid. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Yes; my Woke Commander just e-mailed me today asking me to ensure all my online lectures conformed to the Woke Party's message and passed the Woke Filter. Did you get permission from the Woke Council to inform the masses that we're controlling them via lectures now? I thought that was supposed to be secret...

I read somewhere recently though that a lot of the lecturers in the more mental humanities critical theory types of courses don't want the lectures recorded, dont want a record of them kept, because a lot of people that watched could then go 'Ah, that's b0llox..'..

I read somewhere recently though that a lot of the lecturers in the more mental humanities critical theory types of courses don't want the lectures recorded, dont want a record of them kept, because a lot of people that watched could then go 'Ah, that's b0llox..'..

I heard that somewhere too.

I guess they can also weed out their most embarassing devotees at the same time; two birds one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This has been one of my favourite youtube channels for a long time. Brady Haran's Sixty Symbols which has great videos about concepts in physics.

When this slightly political subject came up I actually found myself initially on the side of the affirmative, happy that lectures would be available in video form; what's the point in having physical classes.

The more though I have researched it, I notice that this push to cancel lectures is coming from the woke type of people.

He presents this video as a debate between two professors in the University of Nottingham in a fair manner asking each the most difficult questions imo.

What do you think?

I just watched the video and it is interesting, but they're just discussing the educational benefit of lectures where students are passively receiving information as opposed to more active learning strategies where pupils drive their own learning.
    It is a bit of a stretch to see it as a way to control content imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

What do you think?

Interesting view, and I appreciate the fact that he acknowledges that its extremely difficult for school. I think the zoom guy had it right, if the lecturer is entertaining and interesting it doesn't really matter the format to be honest. But from my experience of recording videos during covid for my class:

-weaker students loved the ability to stop and rewind and go again. Same for those with additional needs.
    -some students needed the environment created to learn. They couldn't bring themselves to watch the videos personally, or only half listened to them.
    -strong students found the videos a bit tedious, they knew what point I was going to make so skipped parts to get there quicker, but that meant they felt bored.
    - as a teacher, answering 10 emails individually following the video was more time consuming than just answering it once for the class.
    -likewise not having the Class on front of you meant it was less natural and organic and more formal.

I think the poster who mentioned the fear of sharing a lecture for the woke police was interesting. I think both sides would be interested to see the language of the classroom and follow up on it. The patrons of certain religious schools ensuring that the ethos was doggedly adhered to, and likewise, an off the cuff remark played for the human element might be misconstrued.

I don't think any worker wants their entire series of utterances recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm a huge fan of Sixty Symbols, all excellent people on the channel and Brady is great!
    My opinion is that lectures are not dead at all. They still serve a purpose in that you have a monologue at first, then a Q&A to make sure the subject is somewhat understood. Then work in groups or whatnot.

Btw, for people interested in science I also recommend Periodic Videos featuring Sir Martyn Poliakoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I

I don't think any worker wants their entire series of utterances recorded.

Every call centre worker in the country has all their utterances recorded, and most are grateful for the backup it provides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Every call centre worker in the country has all their utterances recorded, and most are grateful for the backup it provides.

But would I be right in saying that they are following a specific script, with exemplars for differing issues arising? Also those calls aren't for release into the public domain, a lecture to be recorded generally is, so a different layer of scrutiny there. But it's an interesting comparison I hadn't thought of, thanks.

Advertisement