Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Score - Netflix

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What's 'woke' about it? curious ..

It’s shoehorned identity politics into it an every singe point. I don’t care about your sexuality, race, genitalia. Every person they interview in this are overly keen to tell you these things. You just know that’s what the interviewer was asking about. It’s about video games, or is at least supposed to be. Absolute rubbish oppression olympics type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It’s shoehorned identity politics into it an every singe point. I don’t care about your sexuality, race, genitalia. Every person they interview in this are overly keen to tell you these things. You just know that’s what the interviewer was asking about. It’s about video games, or is at least supposed to be. Absolute rubbish oppression olympics type stuff.

Ah ok, I guess all of that just slid past me, I was only interested in the gaming side of it all. But I get what you're saying, it has become that way that insignificant details like sexuality/political and cultural stance of anyone in the lime light has come to the fore. I just choose to play ignorant to all of that, it doesn't matter in the slightest to me for example, that the Space Invader champ was Bi or trans or whatever, and you're right in that it shouldn't even have been brought up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think your seeing things that are not actually there. In any case it's a fairly weak series with the odd interesting bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched it today. Didn't realise Charles Martinet narrated it until I saw his name in the credits. And didn't once mention playing Mario.
    I was a bit disappointed that they didn't intercut the Nintendo World Championship with The Wizard.

Overall, I thought it was grand but not great. Some of the interviewees were pretty strange choices. I get having Sega. Nintendo and Street Fighter 2 champions but they had a lot of focus. Then the sound guy from Donkey Kong seemed more like "Who can we get to talk to us?" And still not sure what was going on with the ones from the RPG/Adventure episode.

May just be ignorance on my part

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I actually saw none of that. yeah I noticed that most of the interviewees looked a bit strange but that was all just visual for me. Maybe you just need to relax and enjoy the content of a program instead of having the laser and satelite (spelling) out for political content. I was just happy to see another program being positive about my favourite past time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Parsnips wrote: »
    I actually saw none of that. yeah I noticed that most of the interviewees looked a bit strange but that was all just visual for me. Maybe you just need to relax and enjoy the content of a program instead of having the laser and satelite (spelling) out for political content. I was just happy to see another program being positive about my favourite past time.

As I said earlier, all of that mostly went over my head but, there wasn't any need to make a point of the Space Invader champ's sexuality, it had nothing to do with the rest of the show. Pointless. Otherwise I just found most of the interviewees boring and/or cringey.

As I said earlier, all of that mostly went over my head but, there wasn't any need to make a point of the Space Invader champ's sexuality, it had nothing to do with the rest of the show. Pointless. Otherwise I just found most of the interviewees boring and/or cringey.

Would have been a bit confusing once they interviewed the little boy towards the end of her story. They did need to mention it once they went with her.

The story of the guy who created the first home console cartridges felt way more forced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They also mentioned that the black guy involved with Madden was gay. Again an utterly pointless point to make.

I'm very left leaning and I noticed it. I don't think diversity point scoring needed to be in a documentary about video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I can see why the diversity stories would stick out for some people, but to me one of the main objectives of the show was to point out how inclusive video games are. Show was obviously made with mass appeal to people that may still think games are exclusively played by teenage boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Watched the first two episodes tonight and while it's enjoyable so far, it's also about as shallow a take as I expected. The second episode was particularly unfocused although I can't really expect anyone to be able to cover the impact Nintendo had with the NES in 40mins. Going heavier on the cultural side was definitely an interesting choice and focus complaints aside, I did have a rather large nostalgia-driven smile on my face for most of it which was perhaps their goal. I especially got a laugh out of the Kirby story though, the Kong suit and the link to the character isn't one I'd heard about at all before.
    As an aside, that wasn't just the Space Invader champ, Rebecca Heineman was also co-founder of Interplay with Brian Fargo et al back in the 80s, has worked as a senior engineer at the likes of EA and Ubisoft and has contributed to the XBox 360, Vita and PS4 at a platform level. The inclusion of her more personal side is pretty unsurprising if you read up on her more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Kingp35 wrote: »
    They also mentioned that the black guy involved with Madden was gay. Again an utterly pointless point to make.

I'm very left leaning and I noticed it. I don't think diversity point scoring needed to be in a documentary about video games.

I agree on your point.
    I couldnt give a damn what your preference is our what you identify as. It is irrelevant to me and should be to everyone else.
    Hetrosexuals dont go on to shows and claim to be anything so neither should anyone else.

There was a good half hour dedicated to some gay fella who made a game about being gay...that nobody ever heard of...like, who cares. I really liked the first story with the trans woman, it was great, it seemed like this thing that was "oh and I was a boy then" - because it was RELEVANT... and that was fine, but everything else was absolutely forced and irrelevant. I turned it off after 3 or 4 episodes, it went downhill FAST.

It's not a show about video games, it's a show about wokeness and with some video games thrown in. Turgid rubbish. I'll stick to The Gaming Historian on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There was a good half hour dedicated to some gay fella who made a game about being gay...that nobody ever heard of...like, who cares.

In fairness I just got to this bit and checked how much longer was in the episode - it was 13 mins. Hardly half and hour and that’s if it runs to the end of the episode.

——
    Tbh I actually don’t get the outrage about the stories (I’m just starting episode 3).

Far too often we hear stories of soulless faceless companies that just create games, 500-1000+ corporations where you hear from the higher ups only that just ooze the blandness. This seems to have a more emotional/human touch and I don’t think that’s exactly a bad thing.

Maybe it’ll land with other people who aren’t into games at the moment and sparks them into playing/designing/developing games isn’t that a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I didn't get that 'woke' (god I hate that we're using these stupid American Twitter terms) vibe to it at all.

Just thought it wasn't overly interesting as it's the same thing I've seen in shows of its kind a million times before.

Did enjoy seeing a lot of the old 90s footage as well as a few of the Japanese game designer interviews, but that was as about it.

Turned off after the RPG episode as I was starting to get bored at that stage.

In fairness I just got to this bit and checked how much longer was in the episode - it was 13 mins. Hardly half and hour and that’s if it runs to the end of the episode.

——
    Tbh I actually don’t get the outrage about the stories (I’m just starting episode 3).

Far too often we hear stories of soulless faceless companies that just create games, 500-1000+ corporations where you hear from the higher ups only that just ooze the blandness. This seems to have a more emotional/human touch and I don’t think that’s exactly a bad thing.

Maybe it’ll land with other people who aren’t into games at the moment and sparks them into playing/designing/developing games isn’t that a good thing?

You may be right... you're only starting ep.3 though.

Just wait... and see how forced it it.

The b roll is pretty damn good

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You may be right... you're only starting ep.3 though.

Just wait... and see how forced it it.

so just finished this last night, the segment about the Gay Blade section was still only 13 minutes long? a far cry from the 30 minutes you suggest. I'm still failing to see the outrage here about this being too woke/forced/laboured?

TBH this is the first time I've seen a gaming documentary that touched on the humans behind the games, I thought it was a nice difference than the truck load of other documentaries that focus on just the games.

Advertisement