Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sanding off old paint

• 10-08-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭

I have a large dog house I am converting in to a play house for a kid. I have sanded the roof and door back to wood and it has taken me an age (using an orbital) and my shoulder is shot.

The original paint job was done very well with a few layers of top coat over a white primer.

Do I really need to take off all the old paint/primmer to wood or can I bring it down to primer and then paint (spray paint of primer and finish coat)?

Cheers.

Comments

Problem with orbitals on paint/lacquer is the pads get clogged almost straight away.
    Have you tried a heat gun ?
    I personally wouldn't strip any paint for a play house.
    Don't let perfection get in the way of good enough (I have to tell myself this a lot!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

The problem is in many areas the old paint is flaking, not the primer just the paint, so it needs to come off. It will be in direct sun all year (in the middle east).

I know what you mean about the sander, I am also finding it hard to find anything under 100 paper. However I bought a sander for the task so am not going to buy a heat gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Use a scraper to remove any paint that is lose or flaking, after the prime and paint, its not a job you need perfection on, just needs to look clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'd second the bit about using a scraper. You could also get lightweight filler for places where some paint peeled and other bits didn't, just to blend the edges a little. At least that's what i did where masonry paint had peeled from the ceiling of my porch and I was pleased with the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Where are ye Jude? I'll pop round with my B&D 750 Watt Belt Sander! Never mind the fan boys; This thing's a Beast! Paint? Ye have to try and be sure it doesn't eat its way straight through the underlying wood! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

ha cheers, I am in the middle east at the moment, as is the dog/playhouse. I bought a makita 180w sander and can only source 100+ grit for the paper. My shoulder is hanging off. If I could figure out how to load a pic of the house I would.

Advertisement