Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland at risk of a HIV epidemic due to immigration?

Options
  • 10-08-2020 1:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that a fair number of HIV infections in Ireland come from immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa/South America.

Ireland AFAIK, unlike many countries does not require a health screening to obtain a visa to this country or even obtain citizenship. I know someone in Africa who received a tainted blood transfusion in South Africa but had no clue. He had a good job and wanted to move to Canada. They did a test on him before getting a visa and shockingly found he was HIV positive.

Should we go down this route?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Your story is disconcerting. I assume they (Canada) sent him packing when they found out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Epidemic? No.

But it would stand to reason that if you have a lot people coming from an area with a higher rate of HIV, that your HIV rate will go up, it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I believe the blood donor system bars you from donating if you've lived previously in Africa.

Of course sexual/needle use transmission is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

The higher numbers 'born abroad' are actually from Latin America

Region of Birth:

Of the diagnoses in 2018, 21% (n=109) were born in Ireland, 71% (n=370) were born abroad and 8% (n=44) did not have information on country of birth.
    Of the 370 HIV diagnoses among those born outside Ireland, 34% were born in sub-Saharan Africa and 36% were born in Latin America and the Caribbean, 9% from countries in Central and Eastern Europe and 11% from countries in Western Europe.

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/hiv-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I read somewhere that a fair number of HIV infections in Ireland come from immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa/South America.

Ireland AFAIK, unlike many countries does not require a health screening to obtain a visa to this country or even obtain citizenship. I know someone in Africa who received a tainted blood transfusion in South Africa but had no clue. He had a good job and wanted to move to Canada. They did a test on him before getting a visa and shockingly found he was HIV positive.

Should we go down this route?

Somewhere? Where? And did you fall of the barstool when you were told this shocking story?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,476 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

boombang wrote: »
    I believe the blood donor system bars you from donating if you've lived previously in Africa.

Of course sexual/needle use transmission is possible.

I’m also barred from donating blood in the US because I lived in Ireland so don’t get too full of yourselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: "I read somewhere" is hearsay (maybe even fictitious).
    Try again with a source.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement