Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭vafankillar

this will indeed probably make some people think twice about robbing deliveroo workers.

unfortunately their 2nd thought will probably be "we should use violence or a weapon faster", rather than " we will now cease robbing people from now on". I dont think thats how their thought process works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Prob a d4 fool painting everyone in the area with the one brush loads of good hardworking people have come out of the area but you would know **** all about that

They weren't waiting for their f'ing food off the Deliveroo lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Timmalloy

rte says it was a row between two groups of teenagers
    and may have included some adults

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Timmalloy wrote: »

I'm sure they'll be up early for work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

biggebruv wrote: »
    How is that public already

Don't be so naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

Supposedly the driver was attacked by some other teens, the injured teens went to help the driver but the driver taught they where part of the gang that attacked him and he attacked the boys. If true very sad to lose your life when you just trying to help. RIP young lad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Supposedly the driver was attacked by some other teens, the injured teens went to help the driver but the driver taught they where part of the gang that attacked him and he attacked the boys. If true very sad to lose your life when you just trying to help. RIP young lad

The old mistaken hero victim story. Could be true, sad if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Don Logan

Anyone know if Michael Quinn McDonagh will ever see the outside of a prison in his life time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭gangstergossip

Birneybau wrote: »
    They weren't waiting for their f'ing food off the Deliveroo lad.

Ye should know the full story before jumping the gun ye fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    that is just desperately sad if thats the case. where did u hear that?

He hasn't heard it. It's bollix

the young lad is Josh Dunne a promising footballer with st Kevin's

Ye deano Dunnes lil bro very nice hardworking family sad to hear it. Heard it was because someone robbed the fellas bike

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    seriously what are people like

Guess it's up to mods to close... People are idiots tho, for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

Well that covers everyone really. RTÉ really covering all bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

I know the young lad. He’s a decent skin. I don’t think he was the one attacking the driver. Horrible to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

He seems to be mixed race. Hopefully that doesn't become the talking point when there's evidently grander issues afoot.

Stooped wrote: »
    He seems to be mixed race. Hopefully that doesn't become the talking point when there's evidently grander issues afoot.

Dont matter if he's mixed race he's oné of our own in nic and ballymun then I have to listen to muppets on here saying I'm talking about Latinos attacking white boys people should shut there mouths tell they know what's after happening

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Dont matter if he's mixed race he's oné of our own in nic and then I have to listen to muppets on here saying I'm talking about Latinos attacking white boys people should shut there mouths tell they know what's after happening

i'm pretty sure his point was literally race shouldn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭stingrayed

Dont matter if he's mixed race he's oné of our own in nic and ballymun then I have to listen to muppets on here saying I'm talking about Latinos attacking white boys people should shut there mouths tell they know what's after happening

Sadly this is todays modern world, more and more violence, and enjoying sharing their bad deeds on social media, until the drug lords get life with no possible release, it will just get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wha?

How is any of this relevant to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Elzee has been banned. Suggest we all move on and get back on topic.

Hoboo - report and leave to the mods please.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

So who is running the GG account now? Suddenly able to spell

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Id have to say if i were a Brazilian i would have been doing the same,rounding up th elads and going after these little scrotes from teh NIC,only thing is I'd target the right lads.

Im sure there are decent lads in the NIC but its the scrotes that tarnish them.I know some Brazilian lads and they are sound,one lad is from a very poor family and had worked 16 hours 1 day to send money back to the family and he was robbed of about 200eur he was sending back to Brazil as his family all lost their jobs due to covid.The little scrotes robbed his cash and destroyed his bike and hit him a few slaps just for the laugh,these little cnuts need to be battered senseless.
    There are many unreported cases like this .
    After that elderly lady got slahed last week and nearly died i have zero respect for the young 'teenagers; and wont lose a wonk of sleep if one them is stabbed up bad.

People will only take so much

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

As a man pushing 40 i nearly cried seeing 45 be described as elderly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

As a man pushing 40 i nearly cried seeing 45 be described as elderly
    as someone older I wish I was that young again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rondog wrote: »
    Congrats on the dumbest response ever.Talk about missing the point,a woman doing an honest days work slashed and almost killed for no reason and all you can do is point out the relation to her age.I woulndt even say youre 12 as that comment belong in junior infant.

Youre probably one of those scrotes that defends or justifies those acts

as a 44 year I old too take offense at calling us pensioners

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Elzee has been banned. Suggest we all move on and get back on topic.

Hoboo - report and leave to the mods please.

No worries Mod, it's a few pages about a stabbing at this stage,.may as well change the thread title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

bigsuge1 wrote: »
    One thing I’d like to get my head around is although Patrick was running around in drag that day he wasn’t the one that shot DB. If every one on here and the dogs on the street know who the others were that day why couldn’t gardai bring any of the others to trial? Did they all cover their tracks well or did Garda just go for Patrick as he stood out like a sore thumb?
    theballz wrote: »
    That’s interesting. You hardly have a link to your original post on that do you? I’d love to give it a read

I’ve only been following this thread the last year or so, wasn’t always as interested in crime as I am now. This Colm fox incident is the first time I’ve heard of it

Copying and pasting my post from the older thread:

Mago MVP wrote: »
    How the f that Patrick Hutch got off with that is a madness. He’s been papped walking out! I know it’s him so if they used facial mapping etc there’s no way out of it.
    Ireland is a crazy place

Read up on why the case collapsed. What it looks like to me is that multiple Gardaí have to positively identify a suspect from photographic or CCTV evidence in order for a Garda statement of someone's identity to be considered legitimate evidence (presumably to prevent a Garda with a grudge from mis-identifying and framing an innocent person for personal reasons), and that in this particular case, perhaps out of a desperation to score a victory after the feud had made law enforcement look incredibly helpless against the gangs, they decided to collude in identifying Hutch from that photograph, and that essentially, officers who claimed to identify him just by knowing him, were actually prompted by others to do so, to be sure of getting a conviction.

That's just a theory, but it seems the most likely explanation. The entire hold-up in the trial came about because the defense alleged that the photo identification procedure had been breached and they were demanding to see emails between four Gardaí, presumably to check if they had indeed colluded on naming him as the suspect without actually independently recognising him.

While the trial was on hold as the defence argued with the prosecution over access to these emails, Detective Colm Fox (the lead investigator in the case) committed suicide and made reference to "a grave error of judgment" in his suicide note. This note was handed in to the trial judge, who suspended the entire trial pending a DPP investigation. The DPP ultimately decided to drop the charges after looking in to the case.

My suspicion is that the emails would have revealed that the photo identification process did indeed involve prompting, and that Fox felt guilty that the trial would collapse just because they'd been in such a hurry to nail Hutch that they bent the rules and thus compromised the entire trial. But that's just a total guess based on piecing together all the media reports which came out around the time of the trial being repeatedly delayed, and its aftermath. You can read through them yourselves here:

(Articles in chronological order as the trial progressed and ultimately collapsed)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/almost-500-garda%C3%AD-did-not-recognise-patrick-hutch-in-photo-trial-hears-1.3360170

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gardai-made-dogs-dinner-of-identifying-gunman-in-wig-trial-told-36519809.html

https://www.fm104.ie/news/fm104-news/regency-murder-trial-to-continue/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/regency-murder-trial-delayed-as-hutch-lawyer-seeks-documents-1.3383342 <--- This is where, after the photograph was deemed admissible, the defence demanded to see the email chain between four Gardaí involved

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0219/941795-regency-murder-trial/ <--- The first adjournment:

The trial of a man accused of murder at the Regency Hotel in Dublin two years ago has been adjourned for three days after the court heard "a complicated" matter had arisen.

The prosecution claims that Patrick Hutch, 25, from Champions Avenue in Dublin was the man dressed as a woman carrying a gun on the day David Byrne was shot dead at the Regency Hotel on 5 February 2016.

Mr Hutch has denied the charges of murder and related firearms offences.

Defence Counsel Michael O'Higgins said material would have to be considered and he would be applying for either a retrial or for the existing court to continue hearing the case following a lengthy adjournment.

He said "certain matters" needed to be "investigated" and "that will take time".

Mr Justice Tony Hunt said matters appeared to be proceeding in the background and he adjourned the case until Thursday.

The trial was due to continue the following week, but then Det. Fox was found dead, five days later, new material handed in to the trial presented "unprecedented conundrums" and required the trial to be adjourned:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/regency-trial-adjourned-due-to-unprecedented-conundrums-1.3397520

Following this, notes written by Det. Fox were handed in to the trial and this caused a further adjournment while the circumstances of his death were investigated:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-adjourns-regency-trial-after-notes-authored-by-late-investigating-garda-handed-in-36631879.html

When the case was called today, Sean Gillane SC, prosecuting, thanked the court for its time and asked the judges to first receive some material and to rise to read it.

He said it was "not material I am going to open to the court" and said it was "notes authored by the late Detective Superintendent."

He said the material would provide some context to the application that would be made.

Michael O’Higgins SC, defending, said that was appropriate.

Judge Hunt said the court would not make any further comment.

When the judges returned, Mr Gillane said that as he had indicated previously, a separate investigation was taking place "into the circumstances of Supt Fox’s passing and it was felt, having considered the matter very very carefully, that it would be safer to allow the investigation to be completed, from everyone’s perspective, before the trial would proceed."

"In these circumstances I think it’s safer, subject to the court, to adjourn the trial, as a trial, for mention, to a date toward the end of term," he said.

This seemed to be the "safest path forward to make sure no-one is taken by surprise," he said.

The next adjournment came as electronic devices belonging to the late Detective and other Gardaí were investigated and apparently provided relevant information ("a significant amount of material"):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/inquiry-into-death-of-lead-garda-in-regency-case-to-end-next-month-1.3616732

Senior prosecuting counsel Sean Gillane SC told the non-jury court on Monday that the “IT end of the investigation” was in sight.

One of the devices had been accessed, he said, and it had generated a “fairly significant amount of material”.

The court previously heard that a mobile phone and two USB devices needed to be forensically examined.

Mr Gillane also said further emails have been examined and their analysis were near completion. “In consequence, the expected completion date of the investigation is the middle to the end of October at the latest,” he said.

In reply, Michael O’Higgins SC for Mr Hutch said this was frustrating for his client but the process had to be gone through. “We have to accept that the State is doing it at as quick a pace as it can,” he added.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding, said the delay was unfortunate for Mr Hutch as he was the one on trial.

The judge asked Mr O’Higgins if “some form of hearing” would be required when this process was completed. “I think so,” replied Mr O’Higgins.

The judge said the court would have two weeks available for the case in December if this was required.

“It has to be given priority over everything else. It may be that nothing comes of it,” said the judge.

Mr O’Higgins said he imagined that the defence will make representations to the DPP when the full report is made available to both parties.

The report was then given first to the prosecution, and then several weeks later to the defence:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/regency-hotel-shooting-trial-to-resume-in-december-1.3692154

The next time the case appeared in court, the trial collapsed on the back of that report:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/patrick-hutch-walks-free-as-regency-hotel-murder-charge-dropped-1.3800167

And both the Gardaí and GSOC opened investigations into exactly what happened:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/regency-hotel-case-garda-and-gsoc-to-investigate-trial-collapse-1.3800874

And finally, the most recent time it was mentioned publicly, GSOC applied for and was granted access to all of the transcripts and evidence pertaining to the trial and its collapse:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/collapsed-hutch-murder-trial-transcripts-to-be-given-to-gsoc-1.4055279

The question now becomes whether the eventual findings will be released publicly or given to the Oireachtas or DOJ with them having the final discretion as to whether they are published.

As I'm sure is obvious, this is one case which absolutely fascinated me as it really has an air of Line of Duty about it, so I've been watching out for any mention of it like a hawk, but it hasn't been raised since the access request by GSOC and the granting of that request by the SCC. Presumably with the current crisis etc, it'll be a while yet before any further developments, but I for one sincerely hope that whatever the conclusion (or inconclusion as the case may be) is, the public are given some clear indication as to what the DPP felt was such a serious discovery that it had no choice but to withdraw the charges. It's definitely not as simple as the death of the investigator meaning that the trial couldn't proceed, something was clearly going on behind the scenes which had already thrown the trial into chaos and given that the trial didn't collapse until after the initial investigation report into the suicide was given to both the prosecution and the defence, it seems clear to me that there's a lot more to this than appears at first glance.

Honestly this particular aspect of the story is the main reason I'm particularly fascinated by the Regency attack more so than any of the other gangland incidents over the last number of years. Whatever happened, piecing together the news reports makes it very interesting for anyone who's into mystery stories!

There's been one recent development to add to everything I wrote above, which is that Colm Fox's family are now suing the state, presumably based on media reports that he was severely overworked:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/widow-of-colm-fox-sues-state-following-detective-s-death-during-regency-trial-1.4429208

This is pure speculation on my part, but I reckon there's far, far, far more to this story than merely a Garda having a breakdown from being overworked and the case collapsing simply because he was the only person capable of introducing and explaining the evidence in court. Nothing about that narrative makes the slightest amount of sense, IMO. Something a lot more serious seems to have been going on, but it appears that there's a sort of "pass the parcel" thing with the different state agencies as none of them wants to be the one who has to go public with whatever the f*ck actually happened. I mean, the DPP clearly knows why they decided not to pursue the case, for starters.

Advertisement