Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭stingrayed

Noseygit wrote: »
    After his sentence was passed, Smyth turned to family members in the gallery and said "5 world cups and I'll be out"

Thinks he is a hero now, but the gardai will be looking for other stuff now to put him away for life, strange how years change people, and many will change when cancer gets brought down, and he will, yanks are now on his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

Omackeral wrote: »
    He’s a big boy. An absolute tank compared to most of the rest of them. Very recognisable he’d be.

I know hes a big fella but so was the shooter in the parker killing soldier from the baldoyle area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

After his sentence was passed, Smyth turned to family members in the gallery and said "5 world cups and I'll be out"

not very good at maths is he ?

automatic remission for actually going to jail is 25% (enhanced remission if he isn't causing trouble inside is 33%)

- so his 20yrs, is automatically 15yrs.

and that is backdated to when he went into custody first - so he will be out in less than 15yrs ....in world cups that's 3 and maybe the qualifiers ... 2022, 2026 and 2030 he should be out before 2034 world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

He's been locked up since October 2019, someone should tell him he will actually be out well in time for the fifth one given he will get out in late 2034.

It's a 15 year sentence but to be fair he couldn't have picked a better time to be in prison from March 2020 to perhaps beyond September this year. You wouldn't even miss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

automatic remission for actually going to jail is 25% (enhanced remission if he isn't causing trouble inside is 33%)

and that is backdated to when he went into custody first - so he will be out in less than 15yrs ....in world cups that's 3 and maybe the qualifiers ... 2022, 2026 and 2030 he should be out before 2034 world cup.

No such thing as automatic remission, a prisoner earns remission by his/her good behaviour within the prison system.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

No such thing as automatic remission, a prisoner earns remission by his/her good behaviour within the prison system.

You don't earn it. It's automatically given. In very very rare cases they can take it away.

You can 'earn' enhanced remission of 33% alright.

I'm pretty sure that is all but never enforced. John Gilligan got a consecutive sentence while serving 28 years (or was it when his appeal had been brought down to 20).

Either way he served 15 of a 20 year term, his threats seemed to have no baring on it at all (fairly sure he was caught with contraband several times as well. Possibly assaulted an officer too).

Fairly sure Larry Murphy got out after 25% despite presumably still being a danger and IIRC he refused to engage in therapy.

I think the P.O union would probably kick up a stink if volatile prisoners were kept in longer.

Speedline wrote: »
    You don't earn it. It's automatically given. In very very rare cases they can take it away.

You can 'earn' enhanced remission of 33% alright.

Standard remission allows the prisoner the opportunity to shorten the sentence.

It is not an automatic right.

Yes you can get enhanced remission and there have been case's of prisoners being admitted to jail to serve sentences who have gone through the whole formality, been assigned a cell for their sentence and within a couple of hours of arriving have been signed out because of overcrowding.

There are also cases of prisoners who have not been released when the sentence passed on them has been completed in full.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I'm pretty sure that is all but never enforced. John Gilligan got a consecutive sentence while serving 28 years (or was it when his appeal had been brought down to 20).

Either way he served 15 of a 20 year term, his threats seemed to have no baring on it at all (fairly sure he was caught with contraband several times as well. Possibly assaulted an officer too).

Fairly sure Larry Murphy got out after 25% despite presumably still being a danger and IIRC he refused to engage in therapy.

I think the P.O union would probably kick up a stink if volatile prisoners were kept in longer.

Gilligan was a user inside?

theballz wrote: »
    Gilligan was a user boozer inside?

FYP * I have no idea if he was/wasnt caught with booze or not , just thought it was funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

He is talking about the rugby and cricket world cups

There are also cases of prisoners who have not been released when the sentence passed on them has been completed in full.
    Would you have any examples of this in Ireland please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

So many poxy journos looking for dirt in this thread these days. So obvious about it too.

I thought he was caught with roids and home brew, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

So many poxy journos looking for dirt in this thread these days. So obvious about it too.

The question (i think) you are referring to I doubt very much is a journo, it's actually an interesting question as keeping someone inside past there release date seems eh.....entirely unconstiutional

irony lost on you, is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Whos the journos then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is automatic. Absent any serious disciplinary issues every prisoner will get 25% off their sentence.

Rows Grower .... any response to the request to back up your claim of prisoners not released after their sentence was finished ?

as another poster asked - an example in Ireland would be good.

I have never heard of it despite working around the legal system/in and around the courts for around 20yrs.

Would you have any examples of this in Ireland please?

I know you can read and write and I know you have an internet connection so I'm going to welcome you to the forum by letting you answer your own question and hopefully you'll share your findings with the rest of us.

• Advertisement

I know you can read and write and I know you have an internet connection so I'm going to welcome you to the forum by letting you answer your own question and hopefully you'll share your findings with the rest of us.

ha ha ... shows you are making it up !

It is automatic. Absent any serious disciplinary issues every prisoner will get 25% off their sentence.

It is not automatic.

You are posting up unsubstantiated claims. And what's more, when you are asked to verify your claims, you resort to being condescending to that poster.

Grow up.

Rows Grower .... any response to the request to back up your claim of prisoners not released after their sentence was finished ?

as another poster asked - an example in Ireland would be good.

I have never heard of it despite working around the legal system/in and around the courts for around 20yrs.

Working around?

As a traffic warden outside the court is it?

You are posting up unsubstantiated claims. And what's more, when you are asked to verify your claims, you resort to being condescending to that poster.

Grow up.

You have 6 posts to your name in the history of this forum, jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why is Brian Meehan still in prison?

You have 6 posts to your name in the history of this forum, jog on.
    And thousands under my previous username since 2009. Jog on yourself.

No sign of that link from yourself. What a surprise.

Working around?

As a traffic warden outside the court is it?

as a photographer if you really must know - although I thought it was fairly obvious given the username and the fact that I have mentioned it on this thread previously.

nice try to deflect though - im guessing you still don't want to answer the question - can you give an example of someone who has been in jail longer than the sentence given to them (in ireland).

Why is Brian Meehan still in prison?
    He was done for murder. No release date. Its up to the authorities when he gets out. Malcolm Mc Arthur did a serious whack. His was a high profile case at the time, hence the long stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It is not automatic.

All remission is applied automatically. Prisoners have two release dates on their files; a sentence expiration and a remission date. The remission date is what is worked toward and taken into account for release/community return etc. Everyone gets it with the exception of anyone serving a) a life sentence b) less than a month or c) in for fines. People serving the full term is extremely rare. Larry Murphy famously walked after serving his time sans remission time.

Advertisement