Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Omackeral wrote: »
    All remission is applied automatically. Prisoners have two release dates on their files; a sentence expiration and a remission date. The remission date is what is worked toward and taken into account for release/community return etc. Everyone gets it with the exception of anyone serving a) a life sentence b) less than a month or c) in for fines. People serving the full term is extremely rare. Larry Murphy famously walked after serving his time sans remission time.

You may be a key holder, but you do not know the law.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

once again .... you still haven't answered the question about if you are willing to give an example of someone who was kept in jail after their given sentence had expired.

you are the one who claimed it happened - yet can't or won't give any of us any proof of your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is not automatic.

no, it is automatic. every prisoner receives 25% remission on their sentence. any disciplinary issues are entirely separate.

no, it is automatic. every prisoner receives 25% remission on their sentence. any disciplinary issues are entirely separate.

You are wrong.

I can't make it any plainer than that.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

You are wrong.

you will have to come with a source for that claim so. the rest of the world doesn't believe that to be the case.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/prison-discipline-and-cutting-remission-review-under-way-says-minister-1.3467633
    In the Republic, all prisoners are automatically entitled to 25 per cent of their sentence off as remission. While it is regarded as “time off for good behaviour” it is an automatic right.

the court of appeal believes that 25% remission applies

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/court-of-appeal-prison-service-s-calculation-of-remission-time-correct
    The standard remission of one-quarter applied.

along with your other claim that some prisoners are not released after their sentence was finished and you are having an absolute shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Speedline wrote: »
    He was done for murder. No release date. Its up to the authorities when he gets out. Malcolm Mc Arthur did a serious whack. His was a high profile case at the time, hence the long stretch.

It's political so no 25% anything for these boys

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

There's no remission at all on a murder sentence, I believe.

You are wrong.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/prison_system/remission_and_temporary_release.html

There are two forms of remission set out under Article 59 of the Prison Rules 2007: standard remission and enhanced remission.

Standard remission
    Standard remission allows you to shorten the length of your sentence by up to one quarter. In most cases, standard remission is applied automatically provided you do not commit an offence in custody. For example, if you are sentenced to 4 years’ imprisonment, you may be released after 3 years, with the final quarter of your sentence remitted.

Enhanced remission
    On application, the Minister for Justice can grant enhanced remission of up to one third of your sentence. For example, if you are sentenced to 3 years’ imprisonment and you are granted enhanced remission of one third of your sentence, you may be released after 2 years.

To be eligible for enhanced remission, you must be able to demonstrate good conduct by engaging in authorised structured activities and the Minister must be satisfied that, as a result, you are unlikely to reoffend and are able to reintegrate into the community upon release.

Standard remission is applied AUTOMATICALLY - which could also be called AUTOMATIC REMISSION.

How many people have said this to you in the past hour and you still persist - and claim people have been kept in prison longer than their sentence - and don't prove this just make a wild claim.

not political, just the way that life sentences work. they remain locked up until the parole board says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

Brian Rattigan in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Justanoseygit

I logged on and saw that there were 4 new pages to read, and thought ‘that’ll do for me’.
    Those 4 pages certainly shortened the Winter for me!
    I’d rather have read about the Scousers talking about ‘beak’.

Mr.burgess wrote: »

out later this year

Mr.burgess wrote: »

he only has 3 a bit years to go.

out later this year

did he not get 9 years backdated to 2018 so out some time in 2024 given the automatic remission?

did he not get 9 years backdated to 2018 so out some time in 2024 given the automatic remission?

I honestly don't know, haven't been keeping on top of his case/sentences - but was told he is due out later this year (the information could be wrong, it can happen)

I honestly don't know, haven't been keeping on top of his case/sentences - but was told he is due out later this year (the information could be wrong, it can happen)

No it is 2024 before he is out according to my calculations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/brian-rattigan-sentenced-to-nine-years-for-killing-former-friend-1.3769314#:~:text=Mr%20Justice%20White%20sentenced%20Rattigan,backdated%20to%20October%201st%2C%202018.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I deal with warrants every other day in my job. I've explained above, in a resptful and clear manner, the terms and differences in release dates. Every single prisoner has automatic remission applied to them. It's there's to lose, not gain. No real need to elaborate further on this.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/prison_system/remission_and_temporary_release.html

Standard remission is applied AUTOMATICALLY - which could also be called AUTOMATIC REMISSION.

How many people have said this to you in the past hour and you still persist - and claim people have been kept in prison longer than their sentence - and don't prove this just make a wild claim.

Do you understand the meaning of the first three words that YOU quoted in bold?

Do you understand the meaning of automatic?

There's a reason why double yellow lines are painted on the side of some roads, and you are that reason.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I deal with warrants every other day in my job. I've explained above, in a resptful and clear manner, the terms and differences in release dates. Every single prisoner has automatic remission applied to them. It's there's to lose, not gain. No real need to elaborate further on this.

You're wrong, again.

I've done my time on this subject.

You're wrong, again.

I've done my time on this subject.

do you honestly think that the other people who have corrected you are all wrong and you are the only person who is right ?

if you cannot prove otherwise I think its best if we agree to disagree.

would really love it though if you could tell me (and everyone else on the thread who is interested) who has been in jail longer than their actual prison sentence ? you've made the claim and claim to have done your time on the subject - but can't seem to prove of your claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

I logged on and saw that there were 4 new pages to read, and thought ‘that’ll do for me’.
    Those 4 pages certainly shortened the Winter for me!
    I’d rather have read about the Scousers talking about ‘beak’.

So many people in this thread are just obsessed with arguing with each other. Then a mod comes in with a bolded message and it stops. Then by the next week two users are arguing about the ethics of insurance for heavy goods vehicles for U23s in northern Kosovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭beerbellybob

I'd say a lot of these boys when they hear their cell door lock at 8pm or whatever are sorry they ever heard of the name Kinihan.

You probably right but that would take some form of self awareness, self reflection, almost an empathy of sorts etc not something these types usually have an abundance nor will it help survive mentally or physically for a solid 15. Better for self preservation to buck up and play the hard man.

Can’t imagine being locked up from 29-44 often ones best years!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If anyone is held in prison beyond their sentence expiry then they can have the state for thousands via habeas corpus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Why is Brian Meehan still in prison?

Funny you should mention it.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/veronica-guerin-killer-brian-meehan-19715566

That article says 21 years but he has been in jail since October 97, meaning he will have served at least 25 years by the looks of things.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NT3Kc6ZargYJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/meehan-charged-with-guerin-murder-after-extradition-from-holland-1.189549+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

As for why, guess it was treated as an attack on society rather than criminals killing criminals. Though you could argue plenty more who pose a far greater risk to the general public have or will be getting out much sooner (Larry Murphy, Simon McGinley, Boy A and B).

The gang of Limerick lads that lured and tried to kill the uncle and nephew (killed uncle) are still inside despite doing around 18 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Stooped wrote: »
    So many people in this thread are just obsessed with arguing with each other. Then a mod comes in with a bolded message and it stops. Then by the next week two users are arguing about the ethics of insurance for heavy goods vehicles for U23s in northern Kosovo.

Did they come to a conclusion before the Mods stepped in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭MelvinWagstaff

Robin Schiller reported 9 months ago that he is due for release this year.

That was a whirlwind... something to liven up the board as stingrayed would say

Serious porridge for smithers.. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

can smyth appeal it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Do you understand the meaning of the first three words that YOU quoted in bold?

Do you understand the meaning of automatic?

There's a reason why double yellow lines are painted on the side of some roads, and you are that reason.

Mod: Rows Grower - don't post in the thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭stingrayed

Wonder how long smyth will last in isolation without trying to do some sort of a deal, everybody hates him, so seems he has nothing to lose.

Advertisement